Pistorius implicated in a murder

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby mump boy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:05 am

It's left Colin with the questions 'Why ?' !!
mump boy

Postby Pego » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:16 am

dukehjsteve wrote:Oscar Pistorius = OJ Simpson

Hopefully with a different outcome.
Pego

Postby polevaultpower » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:43 am

Oh give me a break. OJ attempted to cover up his crimes and fled (more or less) from the police. As far as we can tell Oscar has been cooperative.

The latest report from South Africa (which yes, is just another unconfirmed media report) is that Oscar carried his dying girlfriend downstairs and tried to save her: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... e-her.html

I still have yet to see anything that indicates the charges of premeditated murder are warranted.

It's really really horrible what happened, and even in the best case scenario for Oscar, he made an incredibly poor decision that cost an innocent girl her life. But comparing him to OJ seems unwarranted at this point.
polevaultpower

Postby mump boy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:54 am

polevaultpower wrote:

Oh give me a break. OJ attempted to cover up his crimes and fled (more or less) from the police. As far as we can tell Oscar has been cooperative.

The latest report from South Africa (which yes, is just another unconfirmed media report) is that Oscar carried his dying girlfriend downstairs and tried to save her: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... e-her.html

I still have yet to see anything that indicates the charges of premeditated murder are warranted.

It's really really horrible what happened, and even in the best case scenario for Oscar, he made an incredibly poor decision that cost an innocent girl her life. But comparing him to OJ seems unwarranted at this point.

It seems totally warranted, even if just on a celebrity level. Also that report you've posted says she was killed while siting on the toilet !! hardly the actions of a burglar.

So far we are fairly certain of

Ex Girlfriends have accused him of violence
The police have been called on a number of occasions for domestic disputes
The Police we in attendance on the night of the shooting
Arguments where heard from the house on the night of the shooting
There were no burglars
She was shot through a bathroom door
She was shot 4 times
She was shot by OP

What kind of mistake could this possibly be ? Nobody would think their were burglars in the bathroom, nobody would shoot them without checking where their girlfriend was, no one should shoot them rather than calling the security in your GATED COMMUNITY.

The fact that he may have immediately regretted it and carried her down some stairs (how's that supposed to help ?) tells us nothing about guilt or premeditation. Those who commit domestic abuse are usually 'sorry' after that's how they get away with it for so long but it doesn't make them any more culpable.

I'm not saying he's guilty, until this goes to court of course we don't know all the details but pretending that at this time that it looks like anything but intentional is ridiculous
mump boy

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:58 am

Pego wrote:

Hopefully with a different outcome.

You would think so....
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby DrJay » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:07 am

polevaultpower wrote:

So Oscar is a "nice" murderer.
DrJay

Postby Pego » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:02 am

polevaultpower wrote:he made an incredibly poor decision that cost an innocent girl her life

A "poor decision" in my vocabulary is making a wrong turn, oversalting an omelette, removing the mail from the mailbox in a downpour, telling my wife a sexist joke at a wrong time...Oscar Pistorius did not make a "poor decision", he murdered a defenseless young woman, seemingly in a fit of anger. I don't know if it was "premeditated" and it makes no difference to me. Sorry, Becca.
Pego

Postby bijanc » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:11 am

Op eds, essays, and term papers will abound, addressing the heretofore private sides of Steve McNair, Tiger Woods, Junior Seau, Mantei Te'o, and Oscar Pistorious. Not as famous, but just as tragic, the late KC Chiefs LB Jovan Belcher, who took his own life in the presence of his coach, after having killed his g.f.

Not putting them in the same category, but social and cultural critics will posit that elite jocks, like others in coveted positions, can live highly concealed double existences- Seau, Te'o and Pistorious were heroes to groups who identified w/ them.
bijanc

Postby user4 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:22 am

why is humankind today so incapable of employing their vast empirical knowledge base regarding human motives, experiences and actions when it comes to making inferences of these kinds. The evidence already shows that while he may be only at worst a heinous self centered murderer, at the very best he is a self absorbed pampered heartless thug guilty of manslaughter.

To understand this type of person, just walk down the dead end of his reasoning, take him at his word: He says he thought there was an intruder. This self proclaimed competent gun man, in the familiar settings of his own home does not make perfect positive identification of the criminal before taking that criminal out with much more than a few shots.

One could argue that a female at home in the middle of the night cowering under her bed or in a closet while she hears 3 male intruders gradually getting closer to finding her, would need to unload more than a few rounds through a door ... and those situations have happened.

But a grown male firing through a door to kill his girlfriend on valentines day. He is one of the biggest liars of the 21st century.

bijanc wrote:Not putting them in the same category, but social and cultural critics will posit that elite jocks, like others in coveted positions, can live highly concealed double existences- Seau, Te'o and Pistorious were heroes to groups who identified w/ them.

I realize that culture critics may not be civilized but that aside, putting Teo and Pistorious in the same category is ... ugh. I would argue, that putting Seau, a person that committed suicide, in the same category as Pistorious or OJ or Belcher is revolting.

This all makes me wonder if we are getting to the point where the "average" person is not capable of serving on a jury, they are so easily stripped of their own common sense by the bombardment of shuck and jive story tellers, elites, lawyers and media critics telling them that they cant think for themselves.
user4

Postby bijanc » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:02 am

My point, and theirs (the hypothetcial columnists) is that fans, and in most cases media, do not know the Seau's and McNair's anywhere as well as we think. As public as we observers think their lives are, in this age of YouTube, Twitter, and cell phone cameras, all of the athletes I named had private demons about which we knew not.

I didn't compare their DEEDS.
bijanc

Postby ExCoastRanger » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:35 am

polevaultpower wrote:I still have yet to see anything that indicates the charges of premeditated murder are warranted....

Don't know what the legal definition is in SA, but if the shooter had to stop to think, "Where's my gun?" and he had to retrieve it from somewhere, seek out his victim and fire multiple times, then there was probably some premeditation going on.
ExCoastRanger

Postby 18.99s » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:59 am

polevaultpower wrote:It's really really horrible what happened, and even in the best case scenario for Oscar, he made an incredibly poor decision that cost an innocent girl her life.

In a best case scenario for him, there was somebody else who shot her and fled the scene, and he's able to prove it.

But comparing him to OJ seems unwarranted at this point.

If Pistorius shot her, comparing him to OJ is appropriate. There's really no plausible way to paint this as a mistake or accident.
18.99s

Postby jeremyp » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:17 am

DrJay wrote:
polevaultpower wrote:

So Oscar is a "nice" murderer.

Yes and we shouldn't say anything not nice about the disabled. :wink:
jeremyp

Postby odelltrclan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:37 am

user4 wrote:why is humankind today so incapable of employing their vast empirical knowledge base regarding human motives, experiences and actions when it comes to making inferences of these kinds.

Humankind has been wrong about many things on many occasions, including unjustly convicting someone of crimes they didn't commit.

Based upon all the posts you made you present yourself as someone, who, back different days would simply take the law into your own hands and execute a person immediately upon your own limited perceptions of what happened. Then have the audicity to lecture humans on behavior they should follow.

If Oscar is guilty . . you know what, they have him in custody. They have charged him. Every person is entitled to their day in court. If he is guilty, he is going to spend the rest of his life in jail, or, possibly, executed. Something that probably thrills you.

I am glad we have people who do not rush to judgment, take their time, and allow people the opportunity to defend themselves. Its far better than the days of lynching that you seem so eager to go back to.
odelltrclan

Postby mump boy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:49 am

odelltrclan wrote:
user4 wrote:why is humankind today so incapable of employing their vast empirical knowledge base regarding human motives, experiences and actions when it comes to making inferences of these kinds.

If he is guilty, he is going to spend the rest of his life in jail, or, possibly, executed. Something that probably thrills you.

SA haven't had the death penalty since '95

They are a civilised country these days
mump boy

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:39 pm

polevaultpower wrote:

There have been reports of an arguement before hand. So there is evidence, how strong it is will come out as the case progresses.

mump boy wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:

If he is guilty, he is going to spend the rest of his life in jail, or, possibly, executed. Something that probably thrills you.

Given the high crime rates and especially violent crime rates, wide spread attacks on farmers, the need of anyone who can to live in gated communities, the masses of shanty towns on the edge of cities and the blatent and mass political corruption I'd hardly say civilised is how I'd describe South Africa exactly death penality or not. It headed to civilisation but has had a log stop in its journey.
eldanielfire

Postby kuha » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:47 pm

Pego wrote:
polevaultpower wrote:he made an incredibly poor decision that cost an innocent girl her life

A "poor decision" in my vocabulary is making a wrong turn, oversalting an omelette, removing the mail from the mailbox in a downpour, telling my wife a sexist joke at a wrong time...Oscar Pistorius did not make a "poor decision", he murdered a defenseless young woman, seemingly in a fit of anger. I don't know if it was "premeditated" and it makes no difference to me. Sorry, Becca.

Absolutely. In this context, the words "incredibly poor decision" are just astoundingly offensive and absurd.
kuha

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:53 pm

kuha wrote:
Pego wrote:

Absolutely. In this context, the words "incredibly poor decision" are just astoundingly offensive and absurd.

I can't argue with this. Premeditated or not a person has been killed and almost certainly murdered, poor decision isn't even close to accurately or fairly describing what happened even without all the facts.
eldanielfire

Postby user4 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:01 pm

odelltrclan wrote:

If Oscar is guilty . . you know what, they have him in custody. They have charged him. Every person is entitled to their day in court. If he is guilty, he is going to spend the rest of his life in jail, or, possibly, executed. Something that probably thrills you.

I am glad we have people who do not rush to judgment, take their time, and allow people the opportunity to defend themselves. Its far better than the days of lynching that you seem so eager to go back to.

The pendulum of justice swings in society, it has swung in one direction for just a bit too long and the results are not good. I welcome it swinging back a hair so that people that are guilty do not go free. I think we all vent on forums such as this and I have vented a bit, but yes it is true what you say : "If he is guilty, he is going to spend the rest of his life in jail, or, possibly, executed. Something that probably thrills you." Because the alternative of a selfish vile narcissist getting away with murder makes my blood boil.
user4

Postby user4 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:10 pm

mump boy wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:

The judgement that a "civilized country" is one that does not have a death penalty is hard to understand. I would suggest that society's/community's/country's that exhibit low rape, murder, assault, robbery rates are better indicators of a civil society.

There are countless reasons why a culture may choose to have or not have a death penalty, none of them seem to me to rule out the ability of a country to have equal liberty for its people and allow them to freely move about without any fear of harm or death or robbery or rape. When those crimes are committed by those calling themselves a government it is a sign of total chaos.

There are some countries that apply the death penalty to crimes that we in the west would deem uncivilized. That is understandable and I agree. But it does not follow that all societies that execute murderers are uncivilized, it can be quite the opposite.
user4

Postby iain » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:40 pm

User4, while the factors you point out are much better indicators, mump does have a point. Although most people support the death penalty, you cannot argue that it is much more 'civilised' not to have it.
iain

Postby Cooter Brown » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:41 pm

Oscar needs to prepare his anus. He's gonna be popular in prison.

Beeld reports that police had been called to Pistorius's house two hours before the shooting, after neighbors complained of a loud argument between him and Steenkamp.

police believe that Steenkamp was sitting "on the lavatory"—bathroom sink—when Pistorius shot her through the bathroom door

http://deadspin.com/5984744/report-oscar-pistorius-attempted-to-revive-reeva-steenkamp-who-was-sitting-on-the-bathroom-sink-when-shot?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

http://deadspin.com/5984511/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
Cooter Brown

Postby Brian » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:47 pm

Between the sad goings-on with Pistorius and Favor-Hamilton, et al, the past few months, I find myself yearning for a near future when athletes are only making news on the track, not off it.
Brian

Postby mump boy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:50 am

user4 wrote:
mump boy wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:

The judgement that a "civilized country" is one that does not have a death penalty is hard to understand. I would suggest that society's/community's/country's that exhibit low rape, murder, assault, robbery rates are better indicators of a civil society.

But it does not follow that all societies that execute murderers are uncivilized, it can be quite the opposite.

My comment was obviously facetious, having no death penalty and low crime rates are not mutually exclusive, quite the opposite and any country that thinks killing of it's own citizens, in the name of justice, is appropriate is inherently uncivilised.
mump boy

Postby Trackrunner » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:07 am

Bloodied cricket bat 'found' at Pistorius home

Police sources close to the investigation told South Africa's independent City Press newspaper that Steenkamp's skull had been "crushed".Police are investigating whether the bat was used to assault Steenkamp, who was shot four times in the early hours of Thursday, or if she used it to defend herself.

"The suspicion is that the first shot, in the bedroom, hit her in the hip. She then ran and hid herself in the toilet... He fire three more shots," a police source told City Press.

The paper said he could have experienced "roid rage", aggressive behaviour linked to taking large doses of steroids, describing the case against Pistorius as "rock-solid".

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... e2d4d2.751

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uhm I'd like to hear some alternative theories about what happened that night that would account for a bloodied cricket bat, bashed in skull and four gunshots to the body. I wait patiently. Roid Rage is something I had posited on day 1.
Trackrunner

Postby 18.99s » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:17 am

Trackrunner wrote:Uhm I'd like to hear some alternative theories that would account for a bloodied cricket bat, bashed in skull and four gunshots to the body. I wait patiently. Roid Rage is something I had posited on day 1.

The #1 alternative theory is that the bloodied cricket bat and bashed in skull only exist in the minds of whoever in the media made it up, like the mistaken intruder story. That information has not been officially released by the police nor said in court.
18.99s

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:35 am

18.99s wrote:
Trackrunner wrote:Uhm I'd like to hear some alternative theories that would account for a bloodied cricket bat, bashed in skull and four gunshots to the body. I wait patiently. Roid Rage is something I had posited on day 1.

The #1 alternative theory is that the bloodied cricket bat and bashed in skull only exist in the minds of whoever in the media made it up, like the mistaken intruder story. That information has not been officially released by the police nor said in court.

I was going to say the say thing. Also a bloody cricket bat could easily come from dripping blood of moving the body or something.
eldanielfire

Postby mump boy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:50 am

One of the shots being before she locked herself on the bathroom does make some sense though
mump boy

Postby jamboy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:29 am

Pistorius's slain girlfriend was filmed in Reality TV show in Jamaica

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Rea ... z2LAORdkEc

The show, titled Tropika Island of Treasure, shows 29-year-old Reeva Steenkamp enjoying a number of Jamaican attractions, among them swimming with dolphins and rafting on the Martha Brae River.
Yesterday, South Africa's national broadcaster SABC said it would air the show, yesterday evening.
Tropika Island of Treasure was shot late July through August 2012 at various locations in Jamaica, among them Margaritaville in Negril, Time and Place in Trelawny, and Silver Sands in Trelawny.
It features Steenkamp, as well as several persons, including Jamaicans, competing for one million rand (J$10 million) in prize money.
jamboy

Postby user4 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:40 am

mump boy wrote:SA haven't had the death penalty since '95

user4 wrote:The judgement that a "civilized country" is one that does not have a death penalty is hard to understand. I would suggest that society's/community's/country's that exhibit low rape, murder, assault, robbery rates are better indicators of a civil society.

There are countless reasons why a culture may choose to have or not have a death penalty, none of them seem to me to rule out the ability of a country to have equal liberty for its people and allow them to freely move about without any fear of harm or death or robbery or rape. When those crimes are committed by those calling themselves a government it is a sign of total chaos.

There are some countries that apply the death penalty to crimes that we in the west would deem uncivilized. That is understandable and I agree. But it does not follow that all societies that execute murderers are uncivilized, it can be quite the opposite.

mump boy wrote:My comment was obviously facetious, having no death penalty and low crime rates are not mutually exclusive, quite the opposite and any country that thinks killing of it's own citizens, in the name of justice, is appropriate is inherently uncivilised.

We obviously agree that having no death penalty and a low crime rate are not mutually exclusive. It seems that where we disagree is that a death penalty and a civilized society are also not mutually exclusive.
user4

Postby iain » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:52 am

That'll be because you are (presumably) American; well know for your liberal attitude when it comes to death, guns etc. :roll:
iain

Postby 18.99s » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:27 am

Pretoria - SA police have denied leaking critical information about the Oscar Pistorius murder case which appeared in two Sunday newspapers.

"I don't know where people got these stories," lieutenant colonel Katlego Mogale told Sapa.

"Currently we haven't issued a statement or spoken to anyone."

On Sunday, the City Press reported that through "in-depth interviews" with sources "close" to the police investigation, it could reveal that a bloodied cricket bat found at Pistorius' home was going to be a key piece of evidence in court.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... o-20130217
18.99s

Postby Pego » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:57 am

iain wrote:That'll be because you are (presumably) American; well know for your liberal attitude when it comes to death, guns etc. :roll:

Careful with blanket generalizations. A suggestion that all Americans are the same is not only inaccurate, it is downright offensive.
Pego

Postby jeremyp » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:58 am

If the reports of a cricket bat and that her skull was crushed prove to be true then an act of passion become very dim indeed. I raise, again, the possibility of steroid rage.
jeremyp

Postby iain » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:06 am

Pego wrote:
iain wrote:That'll be because you are (presumably) American; well know for your liberal attitude when it comes to death, guns etc. :roll:

Careful with blanket generalizations. A suggestion that all Americans are the same is not only inaccurate, it is downright offensive.

I am not suggesting all Americans are the same, merely that this is how you are perceived, and in general it is probably true.
iain

Postby Pego » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:12 am

iain wrote:
Pego wrote:

I am not suggesting all Americans are the same, merely that this is how you are perceived, and in general it is probably true.

The hole you are digging for yourself is becoming deeper. Perceived by whom? You? It is true according to whom? You?
Pego

Postby Blues » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:15 am

iain wrote:
Pego wrote:

Regardless of whether your comments are valid or not, it might be wise to tread carefully to avoid hijacking the thread and to avoid eventually getting it locked.
Blues

Postby iain » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:53 am

Okay I will stop on this track, but in answer to your question: perceived by most of the (developed) world
iain

Postby user4 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:22 am

iain wrote:Okay I will stop on this track, but in answer to your question: perceived by most of the (developed) world

I still dont know or understand what iain is saying ... and I assume it was my observations or comments that set him off. To answer, yes I am an american that has lived in every corner of america and in more than a few other corners of other nations large and small.

One thing that may indeed differentiate us is that some of us take perceptions very seriously, far more seriously than actual material reality. The mere perception of being considered unhip or unfashionable or not in synch with acceptable sensibilities is considered the gravest of offenses while the actual frequency of crimes, robberies and murder, rape and assault is not really worth serious study.

Others of us take the material difference between serious crime and no crime worth understanding with an aim to helping those in the the next generation reduce actual crime. Crime destroys lives and devastates families. I have never met the children or brothers and sisters, husbands and wives of murder victims whose lives were not ruined. I would hope to be in this category, not really concerned about perceptions that can be shaped by who-knows-what or whom but focused on making the lives of my neighbors safe and secure and full of peace and productive experiences.

I think that we all, you and I both, want to greatly reduce that kind of senseless tragedy. Having such a great concern about perceptions is hard to understand for some of us when actual violent crime is taking the lives of innocent people, real people in the real world, not just perceptions and commentary.

High profile crimes like the pistorius residence murder are important in that they can lead a society to equal justice under the law, each citizen being held accountable for their actions regardless of their wealth or social standing. There may be life giving rain in that cloud with the sliver lining over SA.
Last edited by user4 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
user4

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

iain wrote:
Pego wrote:

Quite an ignorant comment besides being contradictory.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

PreviousNext