Anyone here had hip replacement surgery?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Anyone here had hip replacement surgery?

Postby slowjo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Just got an unexpected call that my husband can get hip replacement surgery done next Wednesday. We were told it would be late May at the earliest!!! :shock:

We are getting lots of advice from the joint replacement clinic but I figured with all the old geezers here a few must have had the surgery. If you have any inside tips or suggestions I would love to hear them.
slowjo

Re: Anyone here had hip replacement surgery?

Postby lonewolf » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:43 pm

Can't help on hip, personally, but when he gets his knees done I will have some comments.
lonewolf

Postby polevaultpower » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:31 pm

I don't have any tips, but you can watch my uncle perform a total hip surgery while another one of my uncles is a commentator: http://orlive.com/halifaxhealth/hip-replacement

I'm not really into that sort of thing, but I watched part of the webcast when they did it a few years ago and though they did a good job of making it interesting and something the average person could understand :)
polevaultpower

Postby slowjo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:35 pm

I won't even open that link PVP!!!!!

Ron would love to not be put out but that is crazy talk.

I think the hip is easier than the knee but I have no basis except my own theories to base that on. :D

So much to get done with so little time. First thing Ron said was "oh good my wife has less time to worry". Hmmph!

I can cram worry time in-I am the suprme pro.
slowjo

Postby bambam » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Hip replacement surgery is the most reliable joint replacement surgery in terms of outcomes. If it does not get infected (rate < 1%) and does not dislocate (about 1%), the results are very, very good, and the recovery and the rehab is much easier than after knee replacement or shoulder replacement.
bambam

Postby slowjo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:21 pm

That is good to hear bambam. Shoulder replacement was very successful for Ron.

He has had both shoulders done and it looks like both hips and one knee will be replaced as well. Fun times ahead for us.

As a former decathlete and a coach Ron will do every exercise and therapy technique to the best level possible. He always does.

Being an ex-athlete comes in handy in times like these.
Also I am very good at running up stairs to respond to the horn he will have by the bed..... :?
slowjo

Postby gh » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:46 pm

on this board you find people who DO the surgeries! :-)
gh

Postby bambam » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:01 pm

gh wrote:on this board you find people who DO the surgeries! :-)

I have not done a formal total hip replacement since 1997. As my group has gotten more and more sub-specialized, I passed those off long ago. But on call, I did do what are called hemiarthroplasties for hip fractures - a very common procedure (and it does not mean that I did a half-assed hip replacement!) (I do almost 100% shoulder and elbow surgery and do tons of shoulder replacements)
bambam

Postby gh » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:57 pm

it's about this rotator cuff problem that I've got..... :mrgreen:
gh