Remember The Maine

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Remember The Maine

Postby DoubleRBar » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:30 am

You might know that 115 years ago today, the U.S. battleship "Maine" was blown up in Havana harbor in Cuba. This was the start of the Spanish-American War. The ship's explosion still remains a mystery today.

On that same day in February of 1898 (it was a Tuesday), a baby was born in the Lehigh Valley. This baby would grow up to win an Olympic gold medal (not in the hurdles) at the age of 22.

This Olympic champion had just completed the freshman year of college. Our birthday athlete had two siblings and a father who was a lawyer.

Thomas Keane coached this Olympic athlete.

Today is a Friday and our birthday person won the Olympic gold medal on a Friday.

Death for this champion came at the age of 84. Our birthday athlete was born on the 15th and died on the 15th.

After retirement from competition, this champion became a salesperson for A.G. Spalding and Brothers Company.

Not the favorite at the Olympic Games, our birthday person defeated an Olympic champion who had won the Olympic gold medal four days before our birthday athlete won gold.

Don't worry about any of the jumping events when trying to figure this champion's name.

Who is our birthday gold medalist for this day after Valentine's Day?
DoubleRBar

Re: Remember The Maine

Postby DoubleRBar » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:36 am

I'm not sure why the three words are highlighted in blue on my previous post, however I would not click on any of them.
DoubleRBar

Postby rhymans » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:54 am

I'm guessing Allen Woodring, who beat 100m winner Charley Paddock for the 200 title.
rhymans

Postby dukehjsteve » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:16 am

rhymans wrote:I'm guessing Allen Woodring, who beat 100m winner Charley Paddock for the 200 title.

Hey !! That was going to be MY guess... thanks for beating me to it !
dukehjsteve

Postby DoubleRBar » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:19 am

You are guessing very well, rhymans. It is Allen Woodring. Allen was born 115 years ago today (Friday). Of course he won the Olympic title at 200 meters in 1920. Woodring died in October of 1982. Nice job, rhymans. You have to be fast to beat dukehjsteve.
DoubleRBar