Pistorius implicated in a murder

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:52 pm

Bruce Kritzler wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
Dave wrote:

How many big name endorsers have gone down in flames lately? Armstrong, Pistorius, Paterno, various baseball players, Tiger Woods, etc

Woods, Armstrong and Pistorius? The loonies are going full board....
Woods had an affair. Who cares. Armstrong was taking EPO, another who cares in the world of cycling.
And then we have a guy who murders someone and somehow they are all the same.....

All sociopaths, manipulaters, and liers.

OKaaay... I am glad we got that cleared up.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:00 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
Dave wrote:

How many big name endorsers have gone down in flames lately? Armstrong, Pistorius, Paterno, various baseball players, Tiger Woods, etc

Woods had an affair. Who cares. Armstrong was taking EPO, another who cares in the world of cycling.

And then we have a guy who murders someone and somehow they are all the same.....

Nobody said they are all the same .Just they have all been presented as inspirational role models and turned out to be absolute failures.

Also the factural inaccuray, only the world of cycling cares for Armstrong? You really are detached from reality if you think only loonies who think any of those news cases are important.
eldanielfire

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:20 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
Dave wrote:

Nobody said they are all the same .Just they have all been presented as inspirational role models and turned out to be absolute failures.

Also the factural inaccuray, only the world of cycling cares for Armstrong? You really are detached from reality if you think only loonies who think any of those news cases are important.

Woods is an absolute failure? The guy had a failed marriage. Something that happens to about half of marriages in this country. And she got about 100 million out of it. And she wasn't murdered.....

As for Armstrong, most of the vile comes from people who cared nothing about cycling until LA came along. LA took EPO in a sport where the number who weren't could be counted on one hand.

And then we have a fellow who shoots a woman a number of times. And somehow they are all connected.

But Okaaay.....I get the idea....hyperbole is big these days.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Conor Dary wrote:

Woods is an absolute failure? The guy had a failed marriage. Something that happens to about half of marriages in this country. And she got about 100 million out of it. And she wasn't murdered.....

As for Armstrong, most of the vile comes from people who cared nothing about cycling until LA came along. LA took EPO in a sport where the number who weren't could be counted on one hand.

And then we have a fellow who shoots a woman a number of times. And somehow they are all connected.

But Okaaay.....I get the idea....hyperbole is big these days.

Ther only person doing hyperbole here is you as only you have assumed that athletes who have all had their public personas destroyed is the same as an athlete who might ahve murdered somebody.

On Tiger Woods. It's not the failure of his marriage that people criticise him for, it's the persistent cheating and determination to cheat is the issue. that isn't Tiger Woods being sadly havng an end to his marriage as the whole thing,or making a mistake and straying, he was a cheating and lying shame for years.

Lance Armstrong projected himself to be an inspiration. to millions. he wasn;t by any means and cheated people out of their careers and even purposely ended peoples careers because he is a nasty, nasty individual not an inspiration which is how he made his millions and cheated millions of people of their hard earned cash. It's morally fraud.

So yeah, You need to quit the hyperbole, all the examples mentioned are legit targets as they made millions on bulshit. That doesn't at all mena they are the same levels of nasty or tragic events as you indicate, nor are their lies and actions insignificant as you indicate.
eldanielfire

Postby DrJay » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:51 pm

From CNN:

"Nike pulled an ad featuring Pistorius from its website Thursday. The ad showed Pistorius taking off for a run, and contained the words 'I am the bullet in the chamber.'"

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/14/world/afr ... ?hpt=hp_t1
DrJay

Postby TN1965 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:55 pm

Basically, it is silly to look up to famed athletes as "role models" because we personally don't know them.

Tiger is good at hitting golf balls. Whether his marriage was a mess or he has manipulative character has nothing to do with that. We should enjoy watching him playing golf, and noting more. I do not go into the case of Lance, because his "offense" is related to his sport itself...
TN1965

Postby AS » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Sounds like Pistorius doesn't have a leg to stand on... :oops:
AS

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:17 pm

TN1965 wrote:Basically, it is silly to look up to famed athletes as "role models" because we personally don't know them.

Tiger is good at hitting golf balls. Whether his marriage was a mess or he has manipulative character has nothing to do with that. We should enjoy watching him playing golf, and noting more. I do not go into the case of Lance, because his "offense" is related to his sport itself...

It may be silly, but if athletes use their personality to sell products then they become resonsible when that character is revelaed to be b##ls##t. If an athlete doesnt sell themselves personally to earn money than fair enough. However every one of them does so it's fair game if they turn out to be not what they project to the public for money.

There is also the factor that roles models are signifcant and required in society and culture, especially for children who do copy role models in their lives. Regardless of your opinion if you create a public profile and make use of fame for money or attention then you take on responsibility for infulencing impressionable minds, regardless of if you want it or not.
eldanielfire

Re: Pistorius - big oops.

Postby lionelp1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:26 pm

Love to hear what the neigbours thought at the fights and rows, not to mention the police called up a number of times. Todays great hero in sport or other activity is so often a person with feet of clay; there seem to be plenty of people who knew OP coming forward to talk about his tendency to drink yoo much, his rudeness and abusiveness to others in social situations.

I went right off this guy after his petulant outburst at being beaten in one of the sprints in London last year.
lionelp1

Postby TN1965 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:28 pm

eldanielfire wrote: It may be silly, but if athletes use their personality to sell products then they become resonsible when that character is revelaed to be b##ls##t. If an athlete doesnt sell themselves personally to earn money than fair enough. However every one of them does so it's fair game if they turn out to be not what they project to the public for money.

There is also the factor that roles models are signifcant and required in society and culture, especially for children who do copy role models in their lives. Regardless of your opinion if you create a public profile and make use of fame for money or attention then you take on responsibility for infulencing impressionable minds, regardless of if you want it or not.

Then it is the consumers' own fault that they are duped into a false image. If they ignore athletes product endorsement not related to their sports, then sponsors will stop paying them big money.

As for the need for role models, there are many adults that children personally know. Those people are far better as role models than those you have seen only on the TV screen.
TN1965

Postby observer2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:45 pm

I always been against Pistorius as a sportsman..mentioned also here a few times the last 4-5 years. Ridiculous it has been to see his fake blades. About his "sportsmanship" and mentality this says a lot:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 96154.html
This mornings event is a sad next step that prove he (and the fake blade running) should have been stopped years ago. He never was what he pretended to be and now it´s over. A young woman is dead and he can be just another simple weapon addict and a murderer.
Last edited by observer2 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
observer2

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:58 pm

TN1965 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote: It may be silly, but if athletes use their personality to sell products then they become resonsible when that character is revelaed to be b##ls##t. If an athlete doesnt sell themselves personally to earn money than fair enough. However every one of them does so it's fair game if they turn out to be not what they project to the public for money.

Then it is the consumers' own fault that they are duped into a false image. If they ignore athletes product endorsement not related to their sports, then sponsors will stop paying them big money.

As for the need for role models, there are many adults that children personally know. Those people are far better as role models than those you have seen only on the TV screen.

To children having rolemodels are not a matter of being in somebodies lives at home or on TV, it is a matter of their status, in the family or in society, it matters not a jot.

In an evolutionary sense we exist in tribes and are dependent upon us for survival and look to adults in the tribe tod evelope new learning. Children are not rational and capable decision makers so if somebody promotes themselves for attention or money they are making themselves a rolemodel in the childrens and young adults lives regadless of the other people in their lives and thus must accept the responsibilities for those actions.
eldanielfire

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:00 pm

observer2 wrote:I always been against Pistorius as a sportsman..mentioned also here a few times the last 4-5 years. Ridiculous it has been to see his fake blades. About his "sportsmanship" and mentality this says a lot:
This mornings event is a sad next step that prove he (and the fake blade running) should have been stopped years ago. He never was what he pretended to be and now it´s over. A young woman is dead and yet another simple weapon addict is a murderer.

Woah, while I agree the facts look thta wya at the moment, let's wait to see if all the facts are available now before we pass judgement.
eldanielfire

Postby kellits2gnv » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:10 pm

observer2 wrote:I always been against Pistorius as a sportsman..mentioned also here a few times the last 4-5 years. Ridiculous it has been to see his fake blades. About his "sportsmanship" and mentality this says a lot:
This mornings event is a sad next step that prove he (and the fake blade running) should have been stopped years ago. He never was what he pretended to be and now it´s over. A young woman is dead and yet another simple weapon addict is a murderer.

Congrats on being jealous of (and presumably envious of?) a man born with no legs. Jeez.
kellits2gnv

Postby lonewolf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:21 pm

As I have stated before, I do not understand how anyone is influenced to purchase a product because it is "endorsed" by a celebrity or athlete. (Admittedly, I will not purchase anything endorsed by some celebrities.)
Apparently, the marketing people have a different opinion. :?
lonewolf

Postby observer2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:21 pm

kellits2gnv wrote:

Congrats on being jealous of (and presumably envious of?) a man born with no legs. Jeez.

Envious? I think you totally misunderstand the situation.
observer2

Postby TN1965 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:26 pm

lonewolf wrote:As I have stated before, I do not understand how anyone is influenced to purchase a product because it is "endorsed" by a celebrity or athlete. (Admittedly, I will not purchase anything endorsed by some celebrities.)
Apparently, the marketing people have a different opinion. :?

Well, if Meb endorses a pair of running shoes, that's worth something. (Not that I want to run with a pair of Skechers.) On the other hand, I have no interest in the razor Federer is using. (Tennis rackets, yes, if I were a tennis player.)
TN1965

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:26 pm

TN1965 wrote:Basically, it is silly to look up to famed athletes as "role models" because we personally don't know them.

Very well put. I agree completely on both cases.
Conor Dary

Postby observer2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Tuariki wrote:
Dave wrote:

I was wondering What Nike product was Pistorius endorsing?
Obviously it wasn't footwear.
Is Nike into the manufacturing of bullets?

"The bullet in the chamber" ad..
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more- ... -1.1264274
observer2

Postby user4 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:28 pm

I find it absolutely abhorent and dangerous to compare other cheaters such Tiger, Armstrong and innumberable other cheating athletes in T&FN/NFL/MBL/NBA etc with a man that murdered someone. To even discuss the various societal ills in sport in the same breath as murder is a horrible wrong in itself, does more damage to society than cheating in a bike race.
user4

Postby DrJay » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:54 pm

observer2 wrote: About his "sportsmanship" and mentality this says a lot:

I hadn't heard this before. From the above link:

"Tom Hanks started bidding for the film rights to the story of the young South African with the J-shaped prosthetics. The plot was compelling: the first double-amputee to compete against able-bodied athletes in an Olympic Games, who was listed in 2012 by Time magazine among the world's 100 most-influential people."
DrJay

Postby JumboElliott » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:54 pm

user4 wrote:I find it absolutely abhorent and dangerous to compare other cheaters such Tiger, Armstrong and innumberable other cheating athletes in T&FN/NFL/MBL/NBA etc with a man that murdered someone. To even discuss the various societal ills in sport in the same breath as murder is a horrible wrong in itself, does more damage to society than cheating in a bike race.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wGd2NtdnflY/U ... apping.jpg
JumboElliott

Postby JRM » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:08 pm

I think the other thread entitled "Pistorius implicated in murder" is more appropriately named, and seems to be the one taking off.

What a shameful and offensive title for this one. I think gh will do us a favor in closing it.
JRM

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:32 pm

user4 wrote:I find it absolutely abhorent and dangerous to compare other cheaters such Tiger, Armstrong and innumberable other cheating athletes in T&FN/NFL/MBL/NBA etc with a man that murdered someone. To even discuss the various societal ills in sport in the same breath as murder is a horrible wrong in itself, does more damage to society than cheating in a bike race.

As opposed to "applause" as someone else has done I would ask a question. Shouldn't we wait and find out the details before labeling someone a hardened criminal and murderer? No one on this board knows what happened at his home. His girlfriend was tweeting only yesterday about finding a nice surprise for Valentine's day. I am more apt to believe it was an unfortunate accident than a murder.

I have had yelling at my home once upon a time whether in a spout with a wife, or being angry at kids. I have heard some from other neighbhors. I can only imagine living in adjoining apartments. I think most of us have the good sense of at least waiting to find out accurate details before comparing Pistorius with anyone. What happened is a tragedy regardless of how it happened.
odelltrclan

Postby gh » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:43 pm

JRM wrote:I think the other thread entitled "Pistorius implicated in murder" is more appropriately named, and seems to be the one taking off.

What a shameful and offensive title for this one. I think gh will do us a favor in closing it.

gh has been en route from heaven on earth to NYC for most of the day.
gh

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:30 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
Dave wrote:

I never meant to equate their behavior. I am perfectly aware of the difference in magnitude of their misdeeds. I only meant to say that nike's recent record with endorsers has not worked we'll for them.
Dave

Postby mump boy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:34 am

So he's been to court and the charge is premeditated murder. There is no evidence of a break in and nobody else at the residence

Apparently she was shot through a bathroom door, as if she was trying to get away from him !!
mump boy

Postby peach77 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:48 am

I've read this thread (and many others in other places) over the past 24 hours and I really don't know where to start. Firstly, I think it's a sad indictment of our society that this thread has gotten this far with scarce mention of the victim. Yes, he's a celebrity, but a WOMAN HAS DIED! I can't believe people are sat here speculating whether this is all evidence of him being on drugs when we're talking about someone's life.

I also find it disgusting that people are so ready to rip his character apart now when they weren't 48 hours ago. There's an article in the Telegraph newspaper today about Oscar being some sort of gun loving monster- well, it's easy to say now, right? For a quick buck and a cheap headline. I hate this muck raking, what does it achieve?

Personally, I'm devastated. Whatever anyone else believed about him, I truly believe that at the beginning it wasn't about the superstar lifestyle or wanting to win (able bodied) medals- it was about a human being wanting to be accepted by other human beings as the same rather than a freakshow. The terrible thing about this, of course, is that now he's made himself the biggest freakshow of them all...

So, so tragic...
peach77

Postby mump boy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:11 am

While i agree with all of the above, i think there is the hint of the Jimmy Saville/Lance Armstrong to this story. It is only now that we get a chance to see behind the massive PR machine that some of the truth may actually come out and people feel safe enough to comment on previous behaviours. People have tried to tell these stories before but have been silenced and threatened with legal action

Where did the initial story about him thinking she was a burglar come from ?? it certainly didn't come from the police or any authorities. It sounds like some very smart spin to me.
mump boy

Postby peach77 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:22 am

Oh I agree with that too but, as with the Jimmy Savile stuff, there is an awful lot of stuff coming out that's nonsense from the press...that was more my point
peach77

Postby schigh » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:03 am

"I never meant to equate their behavior. I am perfectly aware of the difference in magnitude of their misdeeds. I only meant to say that nike's recent record with endorsers has not worked we'll for them."

I don't know that it implicates Nike necessarily (and I'm not a fan of their marketing), but I think it suggests that fame often contributes to people not acting rationally or at least magnifies it. Admittedly, this is an extreme example. I think famous people who are not selfish jerks are so refreshing because it doesn't seem to be the norm.
schigh

Postby Pego » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:09 am

peach77 wrote:I also find it disgusting that people are so ready to rip his character apart now when they weren't 48 hours ago.

Are there many things worse than being a murderer? 48 hours ago he was not.
Pego

Postby az2004 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:42 am

i agree with peach77

it only takes a brief momnt to do something stupid

i dont know what happened, and many are only guessing here

it is tragic, for eveyone involved
az2004

Postby 18.99s » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:07 am

mump boy wrote:Apparently she was shot through a bathroom door, as if she was trying to get away from him !!

Was that stated in court? Or is it just another media fabrication, like the earlier report about mistaking her for an intruder?
18.99s

Postby user4 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:14 am

Pego wrote:
peach77 wrote:I also find it disgusting that people are so ready to rip his character apart now when they weren't 48 hours ago.

Are there many things worse than being a murderer? 48 hours ago he was not.

Bingo!

We are about to go into the bizarre world of "defense attorney carnival act" where the high powered and high paid firm tries to convince you, the public, that your use of "reasonable doubt" should basically lead you to the following, (that is if you are a reasonable and intelligent person of course):

since no witness saw a tibetan munk, residing in tibet, actually pull the trigger and kill her, and likewise since no witness actually saw bladerunner pull the trigger and kill her, then it logically follows we have to treat bladerunner like a tibetan monk. The defense wants you to know the "facts", that the only eye witness that can testify about what happened is a wonderful fellow named bladerunner and his story is perfectly plausible.
user4

Postby gh » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:55 am

There's now a bit on the front page with links to multiple stories. Lots of repetition, obviously, but I think each of them brings something of value to the big picture.
gh

Postby Cooter Brown » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:43 am

I can't find the link unfortunately but I read somewhere that he was arrested for assault on a 19 year old girl back in '09 or so but charges were never filed. She was at a party at his house and he yelled at her to leave. He grabbed her and shoved her out the door and while she was against the door jam, repeatedly slammed the door into her.
Cooter Brown

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:29 am

mump boy wrote:While i agree with all of the above, i think there is the hint of the Jimmy Saville/Lance Armstrong to this story.

Saville and Armstrong? Can we stop with these silly and stupid comparisons. The first is a serial child molester and Armstrong took some PEDs in a sport, that few really care about, rife with the stuff.

Some of you guys really don't like Armstrong, which is fine. But you are off your rockers putting those two names in the same sentence.
Conor Dary

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:34 am

az2004 wrote:i agree with peach77

it only takes a brief momnt to do something stupid

i dont know what happened, and many are only guessing here

it is tragic, for eveyone involved

Yea, sort of like Oswald was only stupid for a few moments in Dealy Plaza. Those mistakes just sort of happen... :roll:

And with multiple shots I doubt it was any sort of accident.

Paramedics are already at the scene, trying in vain to save Ms Steenkamp's life. She is declared dead, after being shot in the head and upper body, the spokeswoman says.
Conor Dary

Postby Daisy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:53 am

az2004 wrote:it only takes a brief moment to do something stupid

A good reason not to have loaded guns all over the house.
Daisy

PreviousNext