Pistorius implicated in a murder

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Pistorius - big oops.

Postby El Toro » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:13 pm

Shot his girlfriend thinking she was a burglar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21455453
El Toro

Re: Pistorius - big oops.

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:52 pm

It's being reported he shot her dead with 4 shots.
eldanielfire

Postby shivfan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:07 am

This news is deeply saddening....
:(
Saffer police opening a murder investigation now....

'Police spokesman Katlego Mogale said a "26-year-old man had been taken into custody for shooting a 30-year-old woman". Mogale could not confirm if the suspect was Pistorius, saying his identity would be revealed only once he appears in court later on Thursday. "The deceased was shot four times and died on the scene. It is believed that she was the girlfriend of the accused," said Mogale. The shooting took place in a house inside an upmarket security compound in Silverlakes, outside Pretoria, he said. Pistorius lives in the compound.'

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sport ... 6578161509
shivfan

Postby aaronk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:19 am

While I've been TOTALLY against Pistorius competing in non-para track events......I think this thread is premature......and I'm waiting for GH to appear to take it off the page.

At least until the shooter's identity has been VERIFIED!!!!!

What happened to INNOCENT...until proven guilty.....or at least CHARGED????
aaronk

Postby Flumpy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:41 am

'Big oops'

Seriously, that's the title you're going with???
Flumpy

Postby iain » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:58 am

Flumpy wrote:'Big oops'

This
iain

Postby Athleticsimaging » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:59 am

Flumpy wrote:'Big oops'

Sure. The girlfriend tweeted yesterday, "What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow?" A Glock 9 apparently.
Athleticsimaging

Postby mump boy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:19 am

If only she's had a gun as well, she could have defended herself :roll: apparently he kept machine gun next to his bed :shock:

The title of this thread is totally inappropriate
mump boy

Postby Weights&Shoes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:45 am

Very sad, just saw it on CNN.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/14/world/africa/south-africa-model-profile/index.html?on.cnn=1

I didn't know the crime rate in S.A. was bad.
Last edited by Weights&Shoes on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weights&Shoes

Postby Bob Duncan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:48 am

Incredibly sad and tragic.
Bob Duncan

Postby 18.99s » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:58 am

This page includes a video interview with a policewoman answering questions about the case: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2 ... kamp-video
18.99s

Postby jeremyp » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:09 am

In time we will hear the rest of the story. So called "previous incidents" would indicate a fractious relationship, or worse.
jeremyp

Postby polevaultpower » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:22 am

Weights&Shoes wrote:I didn't know the crime rate in S.A. was bad.

The crime rate in SA is horrendous and much of it is unreported, most of the police are not much help. I have a friend with small children there (not sure what area they live in). They live in constant fear of being hijacked, which has happened to them and most of the people they know, on more than one occasion. The criminals are violent and ruthless. They have constant anxiety about their safety and are actively trying to find jobs in other countries, but that's often easier said than done.

I have absolutely no idea what the circumstances were in this case, but the idea that he might have mistaken his girlfriend for a criminal should not be dismissed lightly, and I would take anything the cops say with a grain of salt at this point, at least until we have a better idea of what evidence they have.
polevaultpower

Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:58 am

Apparently he was indicted for the murder of his girlfriend.

http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/article/201 ... _3242.html
Dave

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby 18.99s » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:05 am

You missed the earlier thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49322
18.99s

Postby DrJay » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:43 am

This one has a more appropriate title.
DrJay

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 am

DrJay wrote:This one has a more appropriate title.

Yea, I would say so...

Early reports suggested Mr Pistorius might have mistaken his girlfriend for an intruder.

Police say neighbours heard screaming and shouting around the time of the shooting, and that they had been called to investigate incidents of a domestic nature at the same house in the past.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21459240
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby shivfan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:24 am

I would like to urge caution with regards to what some expat saffers say about their country because a lot of these comments are motivated by race. A number of white saffers live in my area of greater london and when they get together to talk about South africa their inevitable conclusion is that everything was so much better before 1992.

Better for whom i wonder....

A lot of criticism in South africa is motivated by race....from both sides. It takes quite an effort to separate truth from exaggeration.

I also come from a country with a high murder rate gated communities and questionable policing but i can tell when people over-react because of an agenda. As far as i can see the saffer police seem to be operating in a professional manner and i am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt....
shivfan

Postby shivfan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:29 am

Pistorius has been charged with murder and will appear in court in pretoria tomorrow morning....
shivfan

Postby bruce3404 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:43 am

bruce3404

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:15 am

aaronk wrote:While I've been TOTALLY against Pistorius competing in non-para track events......I think this thread is premature......and I'm waiting for GH to appear to take it off the page.

At least until the shooter's identity has been VERIFIED!!!!!

What happened to INNOCENT...until proven guilty.....or at least CHARGED????

The shooters identity has never been in doubt so innocent until proven guilty is not the issue. Is it murder or an accident is the question.
eldanielfire

Postby Tuariki » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:17 am

Listening to the latest reports coming out of South Africa it would appear this may be another case of where the corporate PR machines have done a great job of hiding the real personality.

Was the fuming and complaining Pistorious when he lost the T4 200m at London to Oliveira the "real" character and the Nike profile just a smokescreen - a la Armstrong.
Tuariki

Postby mump boy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:42 am

Tuariki wrote:Listening to the latest reports coming out of South Africa it would appear this may be another case of where the corporate PR machines have done a great job of hiding the real personality.

Was the fuming and complaining Pistorious when he lost the T4 200m at London to Oliveira the "real" character and the Nike profile just a smokescreen - a la Armstrong.

That was exactly my thoughts and i wonder of there will be a lot of people who feel safe to come come out now and tell of their experiences of him. There is apparently another ex girlfriend who accused him of some kind of abuse but she was sued and took back the remarks !!
mump boy

Postby 18.99s » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:47 am

True dat. It would be good to merge the threads, under the title of this one.
18.99s

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:55 am

Tuariki wrote:Listening to the latest reports coming out of South Africa it would appear this may be another case of where the corporate PR machines have done a great job of hiding the real personality.

At the moment it looks like that. Apparently he stored out of an interview last year when he wasn't getting the questions he wanted to hear. It comes over more of a case that the fact about his character were there but you had to really dig for them. It's easy for people to say "He was polite when I met him", politeness isn't niceness (e.g. the Nurse from One flew over the cookoos nest" and somebody who is a guest or host generally isn't in their confort zone to be themselves.

So far it seems a little about how modern journalism and advertising wants to so dictate the narrative they ignore the real things going on.
eldanielfire

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:03 pm

How many big name endorsers have gone down in flames lately? Armstrong, Pistorius, Paterno, various baseball players, Tiger Woods, etc
Dave

Postby 18.99s » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:06 pm

eldanielfire wrote:The shooters identity has never been in doubt so innocent until proven guilty is not the issue. Is it murder or an accident is the question.

Based on information released so far, it's not yet established with certainty that Pistorius was the shooter, and not somebody else who fled the scene.
18.99s

Postby Cooter Brown » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:15 pm

His lawyers are worried about the case, saying Pistorius doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Cooter Brown

Postby user4 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Conor Dary wrote:

Yea, I would say so...

Early reports suggested Mr Pistorius might have mistaken his girlfriend for an intruder.

Police say neighbours heard screaming and shouting around the time of the shooting, and that they had been called to investigate incidents of a domestic nature at the same house in the past.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21459240

The guy is evil . It seems that narcissism and evil are twin brothers in our present age. Wanting to be open minded I will reserve judgement before I suggest he is the very most vile person this decade has seen, however right now he seems to have a reserved lane in that race.
Last edited by user4 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
user4

Postby Tuariki » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Dave wrote:

How many big name endorsers have gone down in flames lately? Armstrong, Pistorius, Paterno, various baseball players, Tiger Woods, etc

I was wondering What Nike product was Pistorius endorsing?
Obviously it wasn't footwear.
Is Nike into the manufacturing of bullets?
Tuariki

Postby user4 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:21 pm

Tuariki wrote:
Dave wrote:

I was wondering What Nike product was Pistorius endorsing?
Obviously it wasn't footwear.
Is Nike into the manufacturing of bullets?

no but they can manufacture a narcissist for a mere 1million per year.
user4

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 pm

18.99s wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:The shooters identity has never been in doubt so innocent until proven guilty is not the issue. Is it murder or an accident is the question.

Based on information released so far, it's not yet established with certainty that Pistorius was the shooter, and not somebody else who fled the scene.

Certain?

The fact isn't in doubt at the moment, it isn't even being questioned.

The SA police who have refuted the "mistaken intruder" rumour have not at all indicated Pistorius isn't the person who fired the gun that killed her. The press isn't even using "alleged" in their reporting of this at the moment and you would think by now if he was going to claim he wasn't responsible a lawyer would have been stating their client was innocent and hoping the murder is caught by now. The complete lack of denial indicates there is certainty he shot her unless some wildly contridictory evidence comes up. As it's not being challenged it is reasonable to assume he fired the shots that killed her. The question is was it an accident?

In my further reading it appears Pistorius has prieviously spend a night in a cell for apparently assulting a women at his home, his ex has indicated nasty behavour and treatment of women and the SA police has been called for domestic issues previously.
eldanielfire

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Dave wrote:

I don't think it's a Nike Jinx! More like the fact Nike will sponsor virtually any successful athlete without regard to the quality of their character and behaviour so they suffer the consequences of that attitude towards sport.
eldanielfire

Postby aaronk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Cooter Brown wrote:His lawyers are worried about the case, saying Pistorius doesn't have a leg to stand on.

NOT something to joke about, but....
I can imagine Jay Leno coming up with that line!!
aaronk

Postby jeremyp » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Anybody else wondering about steroids? Namely testostorone.
jeremyp

Postby 18.99s » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:39 pm

eldanielfire wrote:Certain?

The SA police who have refuted the "mistaken intruder" rumour have not at all indicated Pistorius isn't the person who fired the gun that killed her. The press isn't even using "alleged" in their reporting of this at the moment and you would think by now if he was going to claim he wasn't responsible a lawyer would have been stating their client was innocent and hoping the murder is caught by now. The complete lack of denial indicates there is certainty he shot her unless some wildly contridictory evidence comes up.

Or he's exercising his right to remain silent at this time. If the shooter was somebody else, his lawyers will probably say that tomorrow in court. If an intruder shot my girlfriend or wife at my place and fled, and when police show up the first thing they do is arrest me, I'd keep my mouth shut until I talk to a lawyer.
18.99s

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:42 pm

Dave wrote:

Woods, Armstrong and Pistorius? The loonies are going full board....

Woods had an affair. Who cares. Armstrong was taking EPO, another who cares in the world of cycling.

And then we have a guy who murders someone and somehow they are all the same.....
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:42 pm

big oops?
Guess the first 3 shots didn't kill her?
Bruce Kritzler

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:49 pm

18.99s wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:Certain?

The SA police who have refuted the "mistaken intruder" rumour have not at all indicated Pistorius isn't the person who fired the gun that killed her. The press isn't even using "alleged" in their reporting of this at the moment and you would think by now if he was going to claim he wasn't responsible a lawyer would have been stating their client was innocent and hoping the murder is caught by now. The complete lack of denial indicates there is certainty he shot her unless some wildly contridictory evidence comes up.

Or he's exercising his right to remain silent at this time. If the shooter was somebody else, his lawyers will probably say that tomorrow in court. If an intruder shot my girlfriend or wife at my place and fled, and when police show up the first thing they do is arrest me, I'd keep my mouth shut until I talk to a lawyer.

It is The Fugitive: 2 the guy with no legs chasing the guy with no arm who murdered his girl friend!
Conor Dary

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
Dave wrote:

Woods, Armstrong and Pistorius? The loonies are going full board....
Woods had an affair. Who cares. Armstrong was taking EPO, another who cares in the world of cycling.
And then we have a guy who murders someone and somehow they are all the same.....

All sociopaths, manipulaters, and liers.
Bruce Kritzler

Next