T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results. 3 Votes

Postby Daisy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:38 am

odelltrclan wrote:Also had Carl Lewis. They kept hyping how he was going to try and match the great Jesse Owen's so I was glued to the TV wondering if he could do it. Some of those early moments from our younger years stick with us forever!

I should read more carefully. I had voted for Lewis' 4 golds in the LJ, not 4 golds in one Olympics.
Daisy

Postby Pego » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:02 am

Daisy wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:Also had Carl Lewis. They kept hyping how he was going to try and match the great Jesse Owen's so I was glued to the TV wondering if he could do it. Some of those early moments from our younger years stick with us forever!

I should read more carefully. I had voted for Lewis' 4 golds in the LJ, not 4 golds in one Olympics.

I am sure there will be quite a few of these kinds of overlap.
Pego

Postby Daisy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:11 am

Pego wrote:I am sure there will be quite a few of these kinds of overlap.

Right, Same with Viren, I had forgotten about his fall but that was amazing that he got up and still won.

With regard to Lewis, he had to be on the list, and the longevity is what I find the most remarkable about him. If I had been alive to see Oerter i'm sure he would have been on my list too.
Daisy

Postby bobguild76 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:05 am

mump boy wrote:I chose Derek Redmond and i don't care who knows it, it's a perfect Olympic moment and makes me cry every time i see it :cry: :cry: :D

Same here, I cry every time I watch the video. I didn't have Redmond on my list, but I should have.
bobguild76

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:05 am

Daisy wrote:

Well, his 4th gold in 1996 was on my honorable mention list, but did not go into my top 20. I had Al Oerter because he was the first to do it (You could say the same about Owens as well I suppose). Certainly 4 golds in consecutive Olympics in any event has to be considered among the greatest accomplishments in all of track & field. As great an athlete as Usain Bolt is, he is only half way there. For an event like the LJ, it truly is amazing.
odelltrclan

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results 2 Vote

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:45 pm

nevetsllim wrote:
Daisy wrote:
mump boy wrote:Paul Ereng 800m 88

I voted for this one. I love watching this race. Ereng paces it perfectly and weaves through the field while the rest drop off the pace one by one.

Me too. Are you sure it just got two votes, Mump? Granted it was just 19th in my list.

I read about it first in Wallechinsky's Olympic encyclopedia and it sounded like a scintillating race with how he described Kiprotich bolting through 200m in 23.0 (!) and Ereng yelling at him to slow down!

The 800m is by far my favourite track event (have a few more 800m races in my top-20) because of the diversity of tactics between the renowned front-runners (Kiprotich, Barbosa, Gray) and those who like to run even paced (Ereng).

Interview with Ereng on the front page right now.
“My intention was not to win the race. At the beginning of the year, I set four goals for myself; the first goal was to win the NCAA Championship, the second goal was to make the Olympic team, my third goal was to reach the Olympic final, be a finalist and my fourth goal was to be a medalist,” Ereng said. “When I went into the final, I knew there was a possibility of getting a medal; my goal was to run a specific time every 200 meters of the race. That was the commitment which allowed me to win.”
Daisy

Postby mump boy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:00 am

http://www.utepprospector.com/sports/er ... RI09JhOE4Y

I'm a bit in love with Paul Ereng, such a class act

Do you remember when he entered the '89 world indoors but KEN didn't send a team so he had to run in his own vest, he then won, set WR and won the award for the most handsome man at the champs :D
mump boy

Postby HopStepJump » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:48 pm

52nd

w HJ Tia v Blanka '08 15 point

This was one of mine. A really good example of an athlete having a great day at the right time. It was cool to see Belgium win this plus a relay medal in Beijing. Vlasic probably wins the gold 9 times out of 10. Such a shame that she was hurt last year.
HopStepJump

Postby HopStepJump » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:16 pm

42nd

Mens 10k 2000 Geb v Tergat 37 points

One of mine as well. This capped off a fantastic night of track at the stadium- Michael Johnson, Cathy Freeman, Anier Garcia, Stacy Dragila all competed and won that night. Obviously, the stretch run between Geb and Tergat was thrilling, but it was the buildup that really enhanced it. Growing up, I never really appreciated the distance races, mainly because American TV would generally only show the last couple of laps for anything over 1500. Getting to see the tactics and the surges is a huge part of appreciating the whole event, and I feel extraordinarily fortunate to have seen Geb work his magic twice (I also was at the Atlanta 10k).
HopStepJump

Postby mump boy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:56 pm

I found this great interview with Mr Ereng :D

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/archiv ... _Ereng.pdf
mump boy

Postby nevetsllim » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:14 am

HopStepJump wrote:52nd

w HJ Tia v Blanka '08 15 point

This was one of mine. A really good example of an athlete having a great day at the right time. It was cool to see Belgium win this plus a relay medal in Beijing. Vlasic probably wins the gold 9 times out of 10. Such a shame that she was hurt last year.

This was one of mine too. I thought if anyone was going to beat Vlasic, it might have been Slesarenko (who came perilously close to exiting in qualifying) but Hellebaut raised her game fabulously and I think she improved her season's best by 5cm in the final. Given the way she won the 2006 European Champs and the pentathlon at the 2008 World Indoors, she definitely had the big-time credentials but quite frankly I didn't see Vlasic losing to anyone.
nevetsllim

Postby Per Andersen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:22 pm

nevetsllim wrote: she definitely had the big-time credentials but quite frankly I didn't see Vlasic losing to anyone.

But a first attempt clearance at 2.05 can do wonders.
Per Andersen

Postby Flumpy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:36 am

mump boy wrote:3 Votes

42nd

Mens 10k 2000 Geb v Tergat 37 points
Derek Redmond 400m 92 37 points

The first is one of those races, that even though you know the result you still thuink it could change each time you watch it. There was smaller gap between 1st and 2nd in the 10k than the 100m :shock:

I don't care what anyone says Derek Redmond in 1992 is one of the quintessential Olympic moments. He didn't want to end his Olympic campaign in a heap on the floor so decided to make it to the finishing line whatever the cost.

And then his dad Jim appears at his side :cry:

'It's the Olympics. You die for the Olympics' said Derek.

Only the most cold hearted cynic could fail to me moved by one of the greatest moments in Olympic history.

mump boy wrote:39th

Fernanda v Wang 10k 96 44 points

At the time and for a long while after this was my favourite Olympic moment ever.

After her exploits in '93 Wang along with her Chinese teamates frustratingly disappeared. It's one thing to appear on the scene post ridiculous times and win titles but to then totally disappear made her performances even more suspicious and annoyed me because it meant none of her competitors in the rest of the world had the chance to compete against her and try and fine a way she could be broken.

I'd put the whole 'Chinese Takeaway' down as a fluke and a thoight we'd seen the last of her. But then she turns up at the Olympics out of the blue. I as really happy that she was there on the one hand but resigned to the fact she was going to defeat all comers once again. This she duly did in the 5k, with Sonia O'Sullivan unwell she had it all her own way and won easily. I expected the 10k to go the same way, but Fernanda had other ideas.

The race goes out at a reasonable pace with a group of 8 including Fernanda, Wang, Gete Wami and Derartu Tulu. With 600m to go Wang makes her move and soon opens up a 5m gap. Obviously it's all over as, well she doesn't lose does she. But the gap never grows any bigger and Fernanda is sticking to her as best she can. With 200m to go it looks as if Fernanda may be gettinga hut closer and coming into the final straight she's definitely closing. I was screaming by this point. The crowd start roaring and in the final 30m she sweeps past the unbeatable Chinese woman and wind by 5 or 6m!!!

It was the sheer shock that makes me love this race. Wang was supposed to be unbeatable and since 1993 that's what most of her competitors had thought, but Ribiero showed that with enough self belief and determination anything can happen at the Olympics.
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:37 am

4 Votes

37th

Hicham 5 k (2 golds) 28 points

36th

JJK LJ Hep Double 88 29 points

35th

Bruce Jenner Dec 76 34 points

34th

Anne Packer 800m 64 39 points

33rd

Fanny Blankers Koen x4 48 44 points
mump boy

Postby drdan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:30 am

mump boy wrote:4 Votes

34th

Oh, this totally would have been on my list, even though it's years before I was even born. I must have seen clips of the race dozens of times on the BBC. She had to run way wide into lane three on the final bend and just destroyed the rest of the field over the last 80metres. The BBC commentary is awesome "Here she comes on the outside!" (not sure if we're allowed to link to youtube, but a quick search for her name and that quotation will get you the footage).

And there's some mad story about her having almost not bothered running the final because she wanted to go shopping instead to console herself having only got the silver in the 400m!

(Actually, that's the really amazing bit about this: is she the only woman with medals in the 400 and 800 at the same Olympics?)
drdan

Postby drdan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:34 am

drdan wrote:
(Actually, that's the really amazing bit about this: is she the only woman with medals in the 400 and 800 at the same Olympics?)

Also, the other amazing bits are a) a world record and b) her hairdo, which is rockin.
drdan

Postby Rog » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:42 am

Flumpy wrote:I don't care what anyone says Derek Redmond in 1992 is one of the quintessential Olympic moments. He didn't want to end his Olympic campaign in a heap on the floor so decided to throw a tantrum to get everyone's attention.

Agreed.

The Wang/Ribeiro 10k was a classic. I think Wang was the only top flight runner to combine 5 and 10k, male or female, at the 96 Games and apparently she was ill before the 10k final, but she still ran well considering. Ribeiro's kick was amazing though, and behind those two we had the two great Ethiopians, Wami and Tulu - it was a great field.
Rog

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results. 4 Votes

Postby Rog » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:49 am

Ann Packer

I remember when I got into athletics my Dad telling me about this race. When I finally got to see it, it fully deserved its reputation - a really exciting competition, and what a kick! I would think an in-form Packer could easily live with the likes of Savinova.

Fanny B-K

Fanny was one of those legends I would read about in books, like Jesse Owens and Paavo Nurmi, and I was duly impressed by her 4 gold medals. The real shock and appreciation came later though when I learned that besides the 100, 200, hurdles and relay, she would have had good shots at gold in other events too (both jumps, from memory), but there were only so many events she had time to win! Surely one of the greatest all-round talents our sport has seen! Pity there wasn't a multi-events comp, and an extra week for her to contest every event in which she was world class, she could have won 7 golds!
Rog

Postby mump boy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:43 am

34th

Anne Packer was mine as well for all the reasons posted above

Also she ran 2.01.1 in i think her 6th 800m race as an afar thought with no training for the event. She then promptly retired :(

Imagine what she might have done with a few more years, sub 2min is a given.

50 years later she would have ranked 7th in UK last year and easily won the Olympic trials !!
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:47 am

mump boy wrote:4 Votes

37th

This was one of mine, but the actual vote was for something a bit more specific.

After winning his 2nd gold medal and setting off on a lap of honour, half way round he came across Kelly who had just finished the medal ceremony for her 2nd gold.

Hicham stuck 2 fingers up in the air and in complete disbelief mouthed 2 Kelly.

'2 GOLD MEDALS. TWO!!!' :shock:

It was fantastic to see these great champs finally get their just deserts. TWICE :mrgreen:
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 am

37th

This is me as well but a bit more specific

It's not the double perse, it's the celebration afterwards

At the same time as Hicham was doing his victory lap, Kelly was on he podium getting her 2nd Gold medal. As Hitcham passes Kelly he points at her motions with 2 fingers as if to say "look i got 2 as well' :-) It was a great, emotional, moment of acknowledgement between 2 great champions :D
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 am

Oh FFS !!

:P
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:00 am

Can you get your own memories please and stop copying mine.
Flumpy

Postby donley2 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:13 pm

mump boy wrote:

I was one of the four voters on this one. I was not really following the sport super closely (and I was bit young) but the celebration more than anything else was something that I remember very vividly.
donley2

Postby Flumpy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:55 pm

mump boy wrote:
34th

I wasn't even alive when she won but have watched the race numerous times and she's amazual!!!

I've never seen anyone finish like that. The fact she retired directly afterwards is one of the great tragedies of Track and Field.
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:55 pm

4 Points

31st

Super Saturday 45 points
Mary Peters Pen 72 45 points

30th

Joan Benoit Mar 84 51 points

29th

Ben Johnson start/race 88 52 points

28th

Steve Ovett 800m 80 58 points
mump boy

Postby bobguild76 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:01 pm

mump boy wrote:4 Points

31st
Super Saturday 45 points

I was one of the Fantastic Four who listed this. As amazing as each gold medal was, it was all the more amazing for the fact it happened Bang! Bang! Bang! And even more so for the order it happened ...

1. Jessica Ennis and the way she exploded in the homestretch. You knew she was ready after the 100h, and you knew she had the gold in the bag with a mid effort 800, but to watch her take it by the scruff of the neck on that last homestretch - well, that's what legends are made of.
2. Greg Rutherford on his game in the biggest meet of his life ... with the last rounds taking place as the Stadium ramped up during the beginning of the 10k. He was the perfect understated Englishman. A total pro in the midst of all the emotion, but letting it all hang out on the runway.
3. What a climax to the night! It was as if Mo Farah drank in the energy from the previous golds and give it back in the second half of the race. And then to watch him take the lead with 500 to go. It was as if he channeled Lasse Viren in the way his stride remained soooo smooth, even as runner after runner dashed to his shoulder - and got no farther.

After the first two golds, you just knew it had to be a third gold. I think this ranks with the final day of Barcelona (Cacho, Boulmerka, Baumann, Zelezny, Henkel, the relays!) & Day 4 at Atlanta (MJ, MJPerec, Johnson, Lewis, Geb, etc) as one of the finest days of Olympic glory in history. Thank God (& the internet!) for the YouTube videos w/ the BBC announcers ... we can watch them again and again and ...
bobguild76

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results. Last 4 Votes

Postby mump boy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:51 am

Is no one playing anymore :cry:
mump boy

Postby Rog » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:06 am

I voted for the fantastic four. For me, British Athletics had been typified by the Commonwealth 100 final in 2002 - lots of hype about whether Dwain Chambers or Mark Lewis Francis would win, both get buried by Kim Collins and then apparently suffer some sort of injury. In short, we have a tradition of hyped athletes who don't deliver.

Then in 2012, on the second day of the athletics programme, the incredible happens. Jessica Ennis, who was possibly subject to more pressure than any British athlete in history at last year's Olympics, dominates the heptathlon and storms home to win the 800. Greg Rutherford finally overcomes the fragility of his body and gets the long jump gold his level of talent deserves. Then finally we have Mo Farah sprinting away to the 10k title amidst a cacophony of support. This was a new kind of British athletics - one of high performance delivery under pressure, embraced by the public like never before.

I can remember watching this, agog, and texting my mates, particularly those who weren't so familiar with Greg Rutherford, and sharing the excitement. And to top it off we still had Usain in the 100 to top off the night!

It's hard to tell if we'll ever recapture this experience. I certainly hope so. It's interesting that the biggest star of all, Jessica, has gone comparitively quiet of late - I think she's methodically preparing with her coach for this year's worlds. Mo is back working hard with Salazar, but Greg has had further injuries and he has made a lot of media appearances, but hopefully he'll regroup and be fully fit again soon. I'd love to see the three gold medal winners, together with the likes of Robbie Grabarz, further add to their glory.
Rog

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:02 am

mump boy wrote:Is no one playing anymore :cry:

This thread has been strung out over 3 different months. I just want to see the final list and number of votes.
eldanielfire

Postby Daisy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:54 am

Super Saturday 45 points
Ben Johnson start/race 88 52 points
28th

Ovett was mine, but discussed further up the thread. I think I might have added Super Sat, if I had the experience of seeing it uninterrupted, but I saw it as a highlight reel that didn't do it justice. Reading the descriptions above make it sound amazing.

I had the Ben Johnson/DQ which got three votes. And now the Ben Johnson start here gets four votes. So in reality he is pulling in seven votes. Despite the notoriety, that race is hard to beat when it comes to the WOW factor.

eldanielfire wrote:

This thread has been strung out over 3 different months. I just want to see the final list and number of votes.

We have to pace ourselves through winter ;)
Daisy

Postby Flumpy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:30 am

eldanielfire wrote:

I think you're missing the point.
Flumpy

Postby TN1965 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:40 am

28th

Looks like Ovett lost to Coe this time... :)
TN1965

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:32 pm

Flumpy wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

That it's been milked past the point of entertainment now?
eldanielfire

Postby bobguild76 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:47 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
Flumpy wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

That it's been milked past the point of entertainment now?

If the only purpose of this thread were entertainment, then I would agree. But the value of this thread is to see what Olympic moments and memories rate the highest in the minds and hearts of some fairly fanatical and obsessed T&F fans. (Guilty as charged, Your Honor!)

Most of us would love to see the results immediately, if not sooner. But part of the interest for me is having a regular dosage each week, working our way to the Top Ten, and then reading the comments from the voters. I enjoy reading about those memories as much as I enjoy the placing.

One of the downsides is that we don't know how far up the list we are at this time. How many more iterations of "4 votes" are there? ... then how many "5 vote" lists? ... then how many "6 vote" lists? ... and so on. I enjoy the pace, but it would be nice to know if there are 2 more weeks worth, or perhaps 2 more months.

In any case, I am enjoying the journey very much.
bobguild76

Postby HopStepJump » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:11 pm

4 Votes

37th

This was one of mine. The battle of a great 1500 guy and 10k guy meeting at 5000 really had an Ali-Frazier feel to it. The race didn't disappoint. Everyone expected Bekele to win, but the field played into Hicham's hands. He smoked them all in the sprint but it was still pretty close until the last 15 meters or so. What a great double.

36th

JJK LJ Hep Double 88 29 points
I voted specifically for the Long Jump in my list. One of the cool things about 88 was that NBC hadn't broadcast an Olympic Games in eons, and they treated it like a sporting event instead of the fluffier ABC model. Because of that, I got to see a lot of the coverage live, especially since NBC strong armed the IOC into getting the track finals changed to the morning. I remember watching the WLJ live and it had a lot of drama. JJK was in second until she unloaded the winning jump in the 5th round to go past Dreischler. Definitely some of the best live field event coverage that I've seen on American TV. That NBC coverage was great. Too bad Dick Ebersol had to arrive on the scene to screw it up for the 30 years.

35th

Bruce Jenner was one of the poster boys for the USA in 76. I was 14 at the time, and I knew he was one of the favorites from reading the previews articles for the Montreal games. I loved watching him on the tube. I'm sure that was the first decathlon I ever followed. The 1500m was classic. He had it sewn up but he still ran that 1500 so hard and crossed the finish with his arms raised. The next Sports Illustrated to show up in my mailbox captured that moment on the cover. Awesome!!!
HopStepJump

Postby HopStepJump » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:26 pm

30th

Joan Benoit Mar 84 51 points

A whopping 20 of those points came from me. ABC showed the race live and thank God they did. I remember watching it on the tube and seeing her make that early break from the pack. I also remember the commentators (I think it was Liquori) questioning that she might be taking it out too quickly, but she kept grinding away by herself with her baseball cap. There was always the thought that she might get reeled in, so I watched with a tense nervousness for most of the race. In the end she stayed away the whole time, and you have applaud aggressive running like that. I would have loved to have been in the stadium when she entered for the last lap. What a great moment for the sport.

Edit- So I went back and checked the remnants of my list. 4 left- 1 American, 2 Brits, and some dude from Jamaica
HopStepJump

Postby Rog » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:09 am

I also voted for Mary Peters. Her win was before my time, but from what I've seen since it was a classic competition in which she had to make the most of her strengths in the first three events to withstand the rush from Rosendahl in the LJ and 200. It must have been close to an optimal performance. She only just held on.

Here in Northern Ireland, Mary is still a big deal, and she comes across as a lovely lady. My mum and Granny used to know her, my Mother particularly, and they were both very fond of her.

Have to say though my earliest memory is not being able to understand how Mary had won, when other women had clearly finished ahead of her in the race I'd watched (I was very small at the time and the niceties of multi-event scoring were beyond me!)...
Rog

Postby mump boy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:04 am

eldanielfire wrote:

I post more when people have replied to the previous list.

If you bothered to do that, instead of complaining, you'd get the final list quicker
Last edited by mump boy on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:09 am

Daisy wrote:I had the Ben Johnson/DQ which got three votes. And now the Ben Johnson start here gets four votes. So in reality he is pulling in seven votes. Despite the notoriety, that race is hard to beat when it comes to the WOW factor.

I wasn't sure wheat to do with that, the race and the DQ felt like 2 distinct things especially as some people specifically said the start. Do you think they should all be added together ??
mump boy

PreviousNext