UK's Beijing medal hopes •


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • van Commenee & Tyler out

Postby MDelano » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:04 am

Speedster wrote:Not sure if I have missed this on here, but Rana Reider (Tianna Madison, Christian Taylor, Shara Proctor) is coming to the UK to work as a consultant, article says he's already working with Harry AA.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gene ... 12529.html


He will also continue to coach Christian Taylor and Ezinne Okparaebo according to http://www.runblogrun.com/2012/10/christian-taylor-and-ezinne-okparaebo-to-follow-rana-reider-by-alfons-juck-note-by-larry-eder.html.
Anybody know where his other athletes (Madison, Okagbare, Carruthers et al.) are going?
MDelano
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:57 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • Eriksson hired

Postby tandfman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:30 am

Story linked on front page says the Brits have now hired Terrence Mahon as their national distance coach.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • van Commenee & Tyler out

Postby Speedster » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:46 am

MDelano wrote:
Speedster wrote:Not sure if I have missed this on here, but Rana Reider (Tianna Madison, Christian Taylor, Shara Proctor) is coming to the UK to work as a consultant, article says he's already working with Harry AA.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gene ... 12529.html


He will also continue to coach Christian Taylor and Ezinne Okparaebo according to http://www.runblogrun.com/2012/10/christian-taylor-and-ezinne-okparaebo-to-follow-rana-reider-by-alfons-juck-note-by-larry-eder.html.
Anybody know where his other athletes (Madison, Okagbare, Carruthers et al.) are going?


Jodie Williams, if you can hear me, please get in touch with Reider!!!
Speedster
 
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: London

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • van Commenee & Tyler out

Postby mump boy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:48 am

Speedster wrote:
MDelano wrote:
Speedster wrote:Not sure if I have missed this on here, but Rana Reider (Tianna Madison, Christian Taylor, Shara Proctor) is coming to the UK to work as a consultant, article says he's already working with Harry AA.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gene ... 12529.html


He will also continue to coach Christian Taylor and Ezinne Okparaebo according to http://www.runblogrun.com/2012/10/christian-taylor-and-ezinne-okparaebo-to-follow-rana-reider-by-alfons-juck-note-by-larry-eder.html.
Anybody know where his other athletes (Madison, Okagbare, Carruthers et al.) are going?


Jodie Williams, if you can hear me, please get in touch with Reider!!!


One injury and suddenly Mac's no good ?!!
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • Eriksson hired

Postby mump boy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:53 am

There is a very interesting letter going round UKA at the moment. It was sent to all the bosses at UKA, many athletes and support staff

i tried to post it here but it's too big but you can view it on Abi Oyepitan's FB page

Interesting (if poorly written) reading !!
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • van Commenee & Tyler out

Postby Speedster » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:04 am

mump boy wrote:
Speedster wrote:
MDelano wrote:
Speedster wrote:Not sure if I have missed this on here, but Rana Reider (Tianna Madison, Christian Taylor, Shara Proctor) is coming to the UK to work as a consultant, article says he's already working with Harry AA.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gene ... 12529.html


He will also continue to coach Christian Taylor and Ezinne Okparaebo according to http://www.runblogrun.com/2012/10/christian-taylor-and-ezinne-okparaebo-to-follow-rana-reider-by-alfons-juck-note-by-larry-eder.html.
Anybody know where his other athletes (Madison, Okagbare, Carruthers et al.) are going?


Jodie Williams, if you can hear me, please get in touch with Reider!!!


One injury and suddenly Mac's no good ?!!


Not at all, he's got years of experience and the results to back it up. But...18-22 is make or break for junior stars and I think that comes down to someone laying foundations of a strong technical model and Jodie needs that. If she wants to be a gold medalist, she needs to progress now.
Speedster
 
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: London

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • Eriksson hired

Postby MDelano » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:02 am

Jodie has already switched coaches and is back with Stanley Madiri.
Furthermore according to this press release http://www.uka.org.uk/media/news/november-2012/02-11-12-futures/ from friday none of the atletes in the 2012/13 UKA Futures Programme will be coached by Reider.
MDelano
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:57 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • van Commenee & Tyler out

Postby bushop » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:36 pm

UK Sport invest £720,000 in Team GB coaches to boost 2016 Olympic hopes
25 November 2012
“UK Sport... aims to develop 12 high achieving coaches from "world class level to world leading" during the three-year period...”

Black confirms UKA performance structure
26 November 2012
“UKA employed performance coaches will work in a full time capacity from the Loughborough Institute, supporting athletes based there, supporting the event development and ensuring continuity of practice.”
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • £720k in the pot

Postby bushop » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:24 pm

Charles van Commenee: 'I got rid of cynicism in UK athletics'
Wednesday 28 November 2012
"I could easily have answered all the time, ‘If it doesn’t happen, we will look into the reasons why we didn’t hit the target. Then we will make changes and adjustments.’ Which is fair. That’s what happens 99 out of 100 times."
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • £720k in the pot

Postby bushop » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:17 am

Athletics - Team GB's Olympic heroics 'were only the beginning'
08 Sept 2012
"Despite falling short of targets Swede Eriksson is convinced London 2012 was the start of a new era for British athletics as he oversees the move of their headquarters to Birmingham’s Alexander Stadium."
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • van Commenee & Tyler out

Postby mal » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:05 am

bushop wrote:UK Sport invest £720,000 in Team GB coaches to boost 2016 Olympic hopes
25 November 2012
“UK Sport... aims to develop 12 high achieving coaches from "world class level to world leading" during the three-year period...”

Black confirms UKA performance structure
26 November 2012
“UKA employed performance coaches will work in a full time capacity from the Loughborough Institute, supporting athletes based there, supporting the event development and ensuring continuity of practice.”


Amusing. The UK is full of coaches and coaching.
They even have a quality masterclass program on the BBC.
mal
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Soooo... sidle up to Idowu and screw with Ennis' team... is this how UK improves on van Commenee? What words can be used and not be banned by gh?

Jess Ennis' coach told: 'Take a pay cut for new job'
29th January 2013
But Peter Eriksson, the new head coach of UK Athletics, insists: “It’s time for Toni to make up his mind. It’s all in Toni’s hands now. He can take it or leave it."
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby mump boy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:21 pm

Toni only coached Jess and not at a UKA base and you want them to continue to fund him individually ? :?

What if all our top athletes had individual coaches outside of the UKA frame work, should they all be individually funded as well ??

TM's job no longer exists in it's previous incarnation, he can take a job at Loughborough or act as a paid consultant but he can't pick and choose exactly what job he wants and how much it should pay

Obviously Jess should (and probably does) pay him, it's not UKA's responsibility and what has Phillips got to do with anything ??
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:34 pm

mump boy wrote:Toni only coached Jess and not at a UKA base and you want them to continue to fund him individually ? :?

What if all our top athletes had individual coaches outside of the UKA frame work, should they all be individually funded as well ??

TM's job no longer exists in it's previous incarnation, he can take a job at Loughborough or act as a paid consultant but he can't pick and choose exactly what job he wants and how much it should pay

Obviously Jess should (and probably does) pay him, it's not UKA's responsibility and what has Phillips got to do with anything ??

My outsiders view is...
Ennis is a UK superstar bringing more than enough to UK Athletics to justify providing her whatever she needs. On the flip side, I've read about Eriksson making nice with a seemingly goofball Phillips. I'd give every dime the UK gives Phillips to Minichiello. But again, I'm looking from the other side of the pond.
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:47 pm

mump boy wrote:Toni only coached Jess and not at a UKA base and you want them to continue to fund him individually ? :?

What if all our top athletes had individual coaches outside of the UKA frame work, should they all be individually funded as well ??

TM's job no longer exists in it's previous incarnation, he can take a job at Loughborough or act as a paid consultant but he can't pick and choose exactly what job he wants and how much it should pay

Obviously Jess should (and probably does) pay him, it's not UKA's responsibility and what has Phillips got to do with anything ??



Actually UKA scrapped his job, it didn't just go missing. They can create and scrap jobs at will and have done cretaing jobs to fit the people they wnat in the organisation. UKAs responsibility is achieving medals, their entire budget from the lottery is based upon achieving this and is not spending millions on doing what they want in the way they want. By directing funding away from a proven medal winning coach and likley future medalist they are not fufilling their responsibility to use their funding to get the most success which is their remit.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby Flumpy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:49 am

bushop wrote:My outsiders view is...
Ennis is a UK superstar bringing more than enough to UK Athletics to justify providing her whatever she needs. On the flip side, I've read about Eriksson making nice with a seemingly goofball Phillips. I'd give every dime the UK gives Phillips to Minichiello. But again, I'm looking from the other side of the pond.


Because Phillips has been such a let down over the years hasn't he :roll:

The only problem Phillips had was CVC and he's now gone I should hope the new Head Coach make nice with our most bemedalled current athlete.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby mump boy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 am

eldanielfire wrote:
mump boy wrote:Toni only coached Jess and not at a UKA base and you want them to continue to fund him individually ? :?

What if all our top athletes had individual coaches outside of the UKA frame work, should they all be individually funded as well ??

TM's job no longer exists in it's previous incarnation, he can take a job at Loughborough or act as a paid consultant but he can't pick and choose exactly what job he wants and how much it should pay

Obviously Jess should (and probably does) pay him, it's not UKA's responsibility and what has Phillips got to do with anything ??



Actually UKA scrapped his job, it didn't just go missing. They can create and scrap jobs at will and have done cretaing jobs to fit the people they wnat in the organisation. UKAs responsibility is achieving medals, their entire budget from the lottery is based upon achieving this and is not spending millions on doing what they want in the way they want. By directing funding away from a proven medal winning coach and likley future medalist they are not fufilling their responsibility to use their funding to get the most success which is their remit.


So if every one of our medal winning coaches wanted funding outside of the system for coaching 1 athlete you'd allow it ? :?

Funds wouldn't go very far for development, grass roots or everything else people are always complaining UKA don't invest enough in

UKA coaches are now based in Loughborough unless like Malcolm Arnold they coach more than one medallist. Toni is based in Sheffield, only coaches Jess and has been paid for the last 5 years to do so. The structure has now changed and it can't be UKA's job to indefinitely pay individual coaches to coach one person, no matter how successful, it makes no sense at all. I'm sure she already does but Jess made millions last year and will continue to do so for the rest of her career she can quite easily afford to pay him. If he wants to be paid by the governing body he'll have to find more potential medallists to train in Sheffield or move where the job is.
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby mump boy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:12 am

bushop wrote:
mump boy wrote:Toni only coached Jess and not at a UKA base and you want them to continue to fund him individually ? :?

What if all our top athletes had individual coaches outside of the UKA frame work, should they all be individually funded as well ??

TM's job no longer exists in it's previous incarnation, he can take a job at Loughborough or act as a paid consultant but he can't pick and choose exactly what job he wants and how much it should pay

Obviously Jess should (and probably does) pay him, it's not UKA's responsibility and what has Phillips got to do with anything ??


I'd give every dime the UK gives Phillips to Minichiello.


After means testing i think it's very unlikely that Phillips gets anything but medical from UKA
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:59 am

Flumpy wrote:
bushop wrote:On the flip side, I've read about Eriksson making nice with a seemingly goofball Phillips. I'd give every dime the UK gives Phillips to Minichiello. But again, I'm looking from the other side of the pond.
Because Phillips has been such a let down over the years hasn't he :roll:.

Hasn't he been a let down?
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby Flumpy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 am

No.

Olympic Games
Silver 2008 Beijing

World Championships
Gold 2009 Berlin
Silver 2011 Daegu

European Championships
Gold 2010 Barcelona

Commonwealth Games
Gold 2006 Melbourne
Silver 2002 Manchester

World Indoor Championships
Gold 2008 Valencia

European Indoor Championships
Gold 2007 Birmingham
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby eldanielfire » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:02 pm

mump boy wrote:
So if every one of our medal winning coaches wanted funding outside of the system for coaching 1 athlete you'd allow it ? :?

Funds wouldn't go very far for development, grass roots or everything else people are always complaining UKA don't invest enough in

UKA coaches are now based in Loughborough unless like Malcolm Arnold they coach more than one medallist. Toni is based in Sheffield, only coaches Jess and has been paid for the last 5 years to do so. The structure has now changed and it can't be UKA's job to indefinitely pay individual coaches to coach one person, no matter how successful, it makes no sense at all. I'm sure she already does but Jess made millions last year and will continue to do so for the rest of her career she can quite easily afford to pay him. If he wants to be paid by the governing body he'll have to find more potential medallists to train in Sheffield or move where the job is.



Given how much they have yes. It's not as if the Uk is saturated with medal winning coaches. Where on earth wold you wnat the funding to go to? It's not as if many British coaches have developed major medal winning athletes. He the only British coach who is currently coaching a current Olympic champion. Funds to be directed to proven success, not away from those who have provided medals will are the most likely source in the near future so they can divert resources to their experimental set-up.

You are acting like it is just unfortuant that jobs have ben lost, it's not, UKA have purposely moved the jobs around, they have been perfectly ahppy to create positions and jobs that suit the people they want and the people they want to import but clearly don't want to create a position for Minichello which is absurd considering what the aims of their funding are for.

You poinst about grassroot funding is irrevelant, Sport England are the main goal of that and Minichello coaches other athletes on the grassroots level already.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:18 pm

mump boy wrote:What if all our top athletes had individual coaches outside of the UKA frame work, should they all be individually funded as well ??

From my perspective Ennis is not like the UK's other top athletes. Farah, who approaches Ennis's value to UK Athletics, has a full-time coach... and had to leave the UK to get him. Is that the model the UK wants?
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby mump boy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:16 pm

bushop wrote:
mump boy wrote:What if all our top athletes had individual coaches outside of the UKA frame work, should they all be individually funded as well ??

From my perspective Ennis is not like the UK's other top athletes. Farah, who approaches Ennis's value to UK Athletics, has a full-time coach... and had to leave the UK to get him. Is that the model the UK wants?


If it works i don't care, UKA sent Mo there.

I have no issue with TM getting paid and my argument is certainly not about him as an individual but you can't dictate the terms of what job is or isn;t on offer, there is a finite amount of money to go round and a lot of things to fund. Having some kind of centralisation makes sense and funded coaches have to contribute to that somehow, they can't all be off looking after individual athletes.

None of us know the details of negotiations between the 2 sides in this case to actually comment with any authority at all, so i'm leaving it there
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:25 pm

mump boy wrote:None of us know the details of negotiations between the 2 sides in this case to actually comment with any authority at all, so i'm leaving it there

Fair enough.
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby justrunfast » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:19 am

Whats hilarious is that in a couple years when Rio is around the corner and the medal target is released TM will probably be offered a similar role as the one which now does not exist
justrunfast
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:09 pm

Stewart leaves British athletics under a cloud after coaching Farah to gold
2 February 2013
"Ian Stewart leaves a reputation as a successful but occasionally fractious character, whose time with UKA featured a number of flare-ups."

Tough guy Stewart will be missed
February 3, 2013
"The departure of Ian Stewart from UK Athletics will be greeted with snide comments and secret celebrations. His bullish personality and powerful dual role as head of endurance and meet director at British televised events meant he was feared by many, respected by some, envied by a few and not exactly loved much."
Last edited by bushop on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:07 pm

justrunfast wrote:Whats hilarious is that in a couple years when Rio is around the corner and the medal target is released TM will probably be offered a similar role as the one which now does not exist

Rio medal goal is already released... more than London.

bushop wrote:Athletics - Team GB's Olympic heroics 'were only the beginning'
08 Sept 2012
"It [London] was the start of something better," Swede Eriksson said. "We need to go forward into 2016 and 2017 aiming to get more medals."
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby berkeley » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Flumpy wrote:No.

Olympic Games
Silver 2008 Beijing

World Championships
Gold 2009 Berlin
Silver 2011 Daegu

European Championships
Gold 2010 Barcelona

Commonwealth Games
Gold 2006 Melbourne
Silver 2002 Manchester

World Indoor Championships
Gold 2008 Valencia

European Indoor Championships
Gold 2007 Birmingham


And most of these were PRs or near-PRs. Idowu is a consummate competitor.
berkeley
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: London, UK

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Jessica Ennis's coach attacks British Athletics for 'lack of respect'
9 February 2013
"While Arnold [hurdles], Mahon [endurance] and Reider [sprints] have been offered full-time, lottery-funded positions, Minichiello has been penalised by a new structure that emphasises either working out of a centralised hub in Loughborough or coaching at least two world-class funded athletes to qualify for a job. Minichiello is unwilling to force Ennis to relocate from her native Sheffield... If you've only one person on the programme – regardless of the fact it's Jessica Ennis – you don't have value."

Is there a world-class, funded UK athlete looking for a coach?
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby mump boy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:08 pm

bushop wrote:Jessica Ennis's coach attacks British Athletics for 'lack of respect'
9 February 2013
"While Arnold [hurdles], Mahon [endurance] and Reider [sprints] have been offered full-time, lottery-funded positions, Minichiello has been penalised by a new structure that emphasises either working out of a centralised hub in Loughborough or coaching at least two world-class funded athletes to qualify for a job. Minichiello is unwilling to force Ennis to relocate from her native Sheffield... If you've only one person on the programme – regardless of the fact it's Jessica Ennis – you don't have value."

Is there a world-class, funded UK athlete looking for a coach?


Exactly.
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby bushop » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:31 pm

mump boy wrote:
bushop wrote:Jessica Ennis's coach attacks British Athletics for 'lack of respect'
9 February 2013
"While Arnold [hurdles], Mahon [endurance] and Reider [sprints] have been offered full-time, lottery-funded positions... "Is there a world-class, funded UK athlete looking for a coach?
Exactly.

Who do Arnold, Mahon and Reider coach?
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:17 pm

mump boy wrote:
So if every one of our medal winning coaches wanted funding outside of the system for coaching 1 athlete you'd allow it ? :?


He is coaching seven disciplines and probably the biggest Gold Medal of the Games -- she made the organization many millions (e.g., much more likely to get lottery funding with such performances, ..). It reminds me of JW's decision to switch coaches because of the money, penny-wise, pound foolish.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:52 am

mump boy wrote:
bushop wrote:Jessica Ennis's coach attacks British Athletics for 'lack of respect'
9 February 2013
"While Arnold [hurdles], Mahon [endurance] and Reider [sprints] have been offered full-time, lottery-funded positions, Minichiello has been penalised by a new structure that emphasises either working out of a centralised hub in Loughborough or coaching at least two world-class funded athletes to qualify for a job. Minichiello is unwilling to force Ennis to relocate from her native Sheffield... If you've only one person on the programme – regardless of the fact it's Jessica Ennis – you don't have value."

Is there a world-class, funded UK athlete looking for a coach?


Exactly.


Arnold, yes, a great coach for decades with a few top CVs under his belt. Mahon and Reider do tell us all about these imports . What endurance athletes is Mahon likely to produce when our sole outstanding distance runner is with Salazar and the only reasonably good guy in addition trains in USA and spends a large amount of his time injured.
As for Reider on the sprints... what sprints in this country?... a promising male sprinter at top level already has a coach I hear and the rest of our sprinters are second rate imo; despite predictions of what our young sprinters are going to do, they never seem to make it the top and stay there a while.
As for Minichiello, he took Ennis to the top, and I will bet a pound to a pinch of snuff that he is being offered peanuts compared to the fashionable Americans who come here expecting USA money,( just like American bankers :D ) , not the relative peanuts our coaches receive. I suppose someone is going to mention wonder coach Pfaff and his athletes; well Rutherford was a top LJer and Bleasdale was jumping 4.87 as a 19 year old before Mr Pfaff got his hands on them.

The current fashion at Brit Athletics that we MUST get American coaches will not be justified until I see a real increase in standards , with more Medals and more top ranked athletes at World level, way above the six or seven medallists that always happens at the big Champs.

Will we see improvements in Brit sprinting and our mediocre middle and long distance performances over the next few years . I am not holding my breath.
lionelp1
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • more than London

Postby John G » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:33 am

lionelp1 wrote:What endurance athletes is Mahon likely to produce when our sole outstanding distance runner is with Salazar and the only reasonably good guy in addition trains in USA and spends a large amount of his time injured.
Will we see improvements in Brit sprinting and our mediocre middle and long distance performances over the next few years . I am not holding my breath.


The future 5 and 10k talents are probably running 1500s in their mid-teens. Take a look at the all-time U-17 list for 1500. 7 of the top 13 ranked runners ran their times in 2010 - 2012. Shirley and McMurray are ranked #s 1 & 2. I know the conversion rate of young talent into successful seniors is low but I still see this as reason for optimism.

I think there are a bunch of teenagers in the sport as a direct consequence of London 2012 and I think there are grounds for optimism that 2014 -2020 will be a very successful period for us.
John G
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • [Eriksson back to Canada?]

Postby bushop » Tue May 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Peter Eriksson is ready to quit as UK Athletics head coach after just seven months in the role
14 May 2013
"Peter Eriksson is set to quit his job as head coach of UK Athletics only seven months after taking over from Dutchman Charles van Commenee, plunging the sport into uncertainty just days before the start of the domestic outdoor season."
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • [Eriksson back to Canada?]

Postby athlete101 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:33 am

UKA/british athletics are becoming something of a joke. Regardless of the reason he hasn even lasted a year!
athlete101
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • [Eriksson out, Minichiello in?

Postby bushop » Wed May 15, 2013 7:12 pm

Jessica Ennis's coach Toni Minichiello interested in becoming the head coach of UK Athletics
15 May 2013
"UK Athletics chief executive Niels de Vos said the recruitment process for Eriksson’s replacement would not begin until after the World Championships in Moscow in August, but Minichiello said he intended to apply."
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • [Eriksson out, Minichiello in?

Postby eldanielfire » Wed May 15, 2013 10:19 pm

bushop wrote:Jessica Ennis's coach Toni Minichiello interested in becoming the head coach of UK Athletics
15 May 2013
"UK Athletics chief executive Niels de Vos said the recruitment process for Eriksson’s replacement would not begin until after the World Championships in Moscow in August, but Minichiello said he intended to apply."


Now that is a twist.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • T&F News says 4

Postby bushop » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:29 am

Who are the eighteen Moscow medal contenders?

2012:
Olympic medalists:
01) Jessica Ennis (hept) gold
02) Christine Ohuruogu (400m) silver
03) Mo Farah (10k) gold
04) Mo Farah (5k) gold
05) Greg Rutherford (LJ) gold
06) Robert Grabarz (HJ) bronze

Olympic top-12:
01) Dai Greene (400m h) 4th
02) men (4x400m) 4th
03) Yamilé Aldama (TJ) 5th
04) Steve Lewis (PV) 5th
05) Chris Tomlinson (LJ) 6th
06) Holly Bleasdale (PV) 6th
07) Shara Proctor (LJ) 9th
08) Lisa Dobriskey (1500) 10th
09) Laura Weightman (1500) 11th
10) Lawrence Okoye (DT) 12th
11) women (4x400m) 5th

T&F News Moscow World Championship medal picks:
01) Mo Farah (5k)
02) Mo Farah (10k)
03) men (4x100m)
04) Jessica Ennis-Hill (hept)
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: UK's Moscow medal hopes • T&F News says 4

Postby bushop » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:36 am

Who are the eighteen Moscow medal contenders?

2012:
Olympic medalists:
01) Jessica Ennis (hept) gold
02) Christine Ohuruogu (400m) silver
03) Mo Farah (10k) gold
04) Mo Farah (5k) gold
05) Greg Rutherford (LJ) gold
06) Robert Grabarz (HJ) bronze

Olympic top-12:
01) Dai Greene (400m h) 4th
02) men (4x400m) 4th
03) Yamilé Aldama (TJ) 5th
04) Steve Lewis (PV) 5th
05) Chris Tomlinson (LJ) 6th
06) Holly Bleasdale (PV) 6th
07) Shara Proctor (LJ) 9th
08) Lisa Dobriskey (1500) 10th
09) Laura Weightman (1500) 11th
10) Lawrence Okoye (DT) 12th
11) women (4x400m) 5th

T&F News Moscow World Championship medal picks:
01) Mo Farah (5k)
02) Mo Farah (10k)
03) men (4x100m)
04) Jessica Ennis-Hill (hept)
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 12 guests