Anyone know a place where unattached sprinters train in nyc?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Anyone know a place where unattached sprinters train in nyc?

Postby fasttrack85 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:05 pm

I joked about taking down Bolt and Blake in Rio lol but I really was very inspired by the feedback I got in the thread about Track Athletes who started late. Its been years since I have been anywhere near a track but I just have this fire burning inside of me that makes me want to go out and gallop like a horse. If you don't know a place where I can train then give me pointers taht are relevant to the climate where I am from etc. Cmon guys help get Fasttrack85 on the fast track.
fasttrack85

Re: Anyone know a place where unattached sprinters train in

Postby ATK » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Armory. $300 for the November to April season.

http://www.armorytrack.com/Armory/train ... the-armory

Don't know of any other track in the 5 boroughs that allows open athletes to train unless under special conditions with the owner.

Outdoor, there are tons of open tracks all over the 5 boroughs. Both schools and parks.
ATK

Postby fasttrack85 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:44 pm

Thanks so much ATK. I was aware of the Armory but was a bit cautious about training indoors and I hear that that is a very fast track so I am assuming it is a very hard track, which could make it very hard on the joints. Do schools usually let anyone train on their tracks? I was thinking optimally to train at a dirt trail or grass or turf. I was just trying my luck to see if maybe someone has the scoop on something exclusive. I know some expensive gyms have indoor turfs but usually for people training at very short distances like 40 yards.

If anyone has ever trained in northern cities outside of the school or pro system tell me how and where you were able to train?
Last edited by fasttrack85 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fasttrack85

Postby ATK » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:05 pm

In NYC, as far as I know, if your trying to get indoors anywhere besides the Armory to train, you would have to know people.

For trails, the best parks to probably train at would be:
Bronx - Van Cortland
Manhattan - Central Park
Queens - Forest Part(Cunningham to a lesser degree)
Brooklyn - Prospect

Also Rockefeller State Park, about an hour or so north of the city has amazing trails.
ATK

Postby fasttrack85 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:11 pm

ATK wrote:In NYC, as far as I know, if your trying to get indoors anywhere besides the Armory to train, you would have to know people.

For trails, the best parks to probably train at would be:
Bronx - Van Cortland
Manhattan - Central Park
Queens - Forest Part(Cunningham to a lesser degree)
Brooklyn - Prospect

Also Rockefeller State Park, about an hour or so north of the city has amazing trails.

I could prob do Van Cortland or Central Park. Are the trails flat or incline or both? My next step as well would be finding a training partner or a few. I am telling you runners have it so easy. Everyone and their momma wants to run no one wants to sprint.
fasttrack85

Postby 18.99s » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:13 am

fasttrack85 wrote:I could prob do Van Cortland or Central Park. Are the trails flat or incline or both? My next step as well would be finding a training partner or a few. I am telling you runners have it so easy. Everyone and their momma wants to run no one wants to sprint.

If you haven't already been beating up your legs with a leg-intensive sport like soccer or basketball or competitive tennis, you shouldn't be sprinting in the next 3-6 months anyway. Spend some months with the runners, and build up strength and flexibility in the gym before getting back into a sprint program.
18.99s

Postby fasttrack85 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:46 pm

18.99s wrote:
fasttrack85 wrote:I could prob do Van Cortland or Central Park. Are the trails flat or incline or both? My next step as well would be finding a training partner or a few. I am telling you runners have it so easy. Everyone and their momma wants to run no one wants to sprint.

If you haven't already been beating up your legs with a leg-intensive sport like soccer or basketball or competitive tennis, you shouldn't be sprinting in the next 3-6 months anyway. Spend some months with the runners, and build up strength and flexibility in the gym before getting back into a sprint program.

My legs haven't been exactly "beaten up" so I would have to probably get adjusted to the high intensity workouts gradually. Why do you think i should wait 3-6 months to sprint? Do you mean to train or to compete? I would never waste my time with runners doing long continous tempo runs which would be practically useless to a sprinter. I do believe I would need to build up sprint related general fitness. As far as strength goes I am generally strong and already workout regularly. If i was to show up to a trackmeet i would blend in perfectly(body wise) with the sprinters, . The only difference would be the times and technique which wouldn't quite be there. That is really one of my driving factors, if you look like you have the dna to do something you might as well see if you can do it.
fasttrack85

Postby polevaultpower » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:33 pm

LOL at 6'5" my husband looks like he should play basketball, but he can't. Oh how he can't. :lol:
polevaultpower

Postby 18.99s » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:40 am

fasttrack85 wrote:My legs haven't been exactly "beaten up" so I would have to probably get adjusted to the high intensity workouts gradually. Why do you think i should wait 3-6 months to sprint? Do you mean to train or to compete?

To do sprint training. Competing would be another 3-6 months after that. Or more.

I would never waste my time with runners doing long continous tempo runs which would be practically useless to a sprinter.

Well I'm not talking about marathon-style training. More like 10-15 miles a week, like somebody getting ready for a 5K, with some interval work in there too. Not trying to be a sprinter in the first few months, you're preparing your joints and tendons and hamstrings and heart and lungs for the pounding they will take when you later train like a sprinter.

I do believe I would need to build up sprint related general fitness. As far as strength goes I am generally strong and already workout regularly.

Good, so maybe your transition can be on the lower end of that 3-6 month range.

Of course, if you prefer you can directly start training like a sprinter from day 1, and deal with the injuries which will likely delay your progress more than an initial 3-6 month phase-in period of jogging and interval work.
18.99s

Postby JumboElliott » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:31 am

Have you looked into joining a club?
JumboElliott

Postby fasttrack85 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 pm

18.99s wrote:
fasttrack85 wrote:My legs haven't been exactly "beaten up" so I would have to probably get adjusted to the high intensity workouts gradually. Why do you think i should wait 3-6 months to sprint? Do you mean to train or to compete?

To do sprint training. Competing would be another 3-6 months after that. Or more.

I would never waste my time with runners doing long continous tempo runs which would be practically useless to a sprinter.

Well I'm not talking about marathon-style training. More like 10-15 miles a week, like somebody getting ready for a 5K, with some interval work in there too. Not trying to be a sprinter in the first few months, you're preparing your joints and tendons and hamstrings and heart and lungs for the pounding they will take when you later train like a sprinter.

I do believe I would need to build up sprint related general fitness. As far as strength goes I am generally strong and already workout regularly.

Good, so maybe your transition can be on the lower end of that 3-6 month range.

Of course, if you prefer you can directly start training like a sprinter from day 1, and deal with the injuries which will likely delay your progress more than an initial 3-6 month phase-in period of jogging and interval work.

I would go with a happy medium of tempo(intensive/extensive) on preferably grass or trail in flats for about 6-8 weeks then progress to one day a week on the track and increase days and intensity slowly. This is the reason why I didn't want to train at the armory. I don't want injuries from training on an indoor track which I hear is even worse than traiining on an outdoor track. I would like to find a group or something because training with others makes you better and gives you motivation and encouragement. I would be willing to hire a coach in the early stages because learning technique is probably the most important thing. I can experiement with dosages of tempo,speed etc piecing together things from different sources. Getting started though seems to be the hardest thing. Its something I really want to do but I just don't know if there is any available resources for people in my situation to seriously make a move.
fasttrack85

Postby tandfman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:27 am

I'm not sure whether the Icahn Stadium track on Randall's Island is open for training when there are no meets. I believe there are other areas on the island suitable for non-track running.
tandfman

Postby ATK » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:40 am

tandfman wrote:I'm not sure whether the Icahn Stadium track on Randall's Island is open for training when there are no meets. I believe there are other areas on the island suitable for non-track running.

Unfortunately its not. I know back when it first opened in 2004, for a few years they did allow HS's to train for certain periods and special occasions.
ATK

Postby fasttrack85 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:52 pm

So you guys are advocating training on a track straight off the back? I was thinking of doing that maybe after a few good weeks of tempo training. I really would like to find a group or maybe even a coach who has a stable of unattached athletes. There has got to be professional sprinters(maybe not world class) from ny. Do they all train at the armory?
fasttrack85

Postby Irun_toofast » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:58 am

You can train at the Pratt Institute track in Brooklyn, which is free. BUT you are not allowed to wear spikes, as its not a Monday track. The New Jersey Armory is free also, you just have to deal with 1,000 high school kids.

But your best bet is to join a club team.
Irun_toofast