House Of Cards

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

House Of Cards

Postby jeremyp » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:02 am

If you have Netflix streaming (our daughter's christmas present to us) you may be engrossed, as I am, in "House Of Cards," a splendid ( so far into 3 episodes, although one can do all 13 in one "gulp" session) remake of a brilliant British series about cynical political machinations (this time in in D.C.) Fans of the British series may wonder why it needed repeating, and the answer of course is: if the Americans do anything often, if not always well, it's to steal other countries good shows and remake them. Kevin Spacey plays the lead, in a guaranteed Emmy performance, with the same initials F.U. and the same famous snide asides and most famous of all his catchphrase of denial: "Well you can say that, but I couldn't possibly comment."
jeremyp

Re: House Of Cards

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:37 am

I will catch up on it soon. The reviews sound good. The original was amazing. And of course the timing was marvelous as the show debuted in the UK the same week Thatcher resigned. And Ian Richardson was a marvel. Such a charmer....

The book was good too. Though with a different ending in the first one...
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby jhc68 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:17 pm

We went on a TV marathon and watched the whole damn season one before our free month of Netflix ran out tonight!!! :shock:
It's a very good series, much better than the teaser scenes that were released for talk show use. Too bad that the overwhelming tone of super-cynicism about the US political/economic system rings so true.
The series is somewhat remindful of Damages but with even more intrigue and less violence. Worth watching if you can get it.
jhc68

Postby jamboy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Great series so far. I am already into episode 3 and will finish all 13 episodes by this weekend.
jamboy

Postby jeremyp » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:56 am

I watched part of the British series opener again and the plot is pretty parallel. Richardson was much more arch in his asides than Spacey, which is fine as the Brits do arch sarcasm so much better.
jeremyp