T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results. More 2 Votes

Postby bobguild76 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:48 am

mump boy wrote:3 Votes

54th

Decker v Budd 84 7 points

(and so on) ...

I love the results coming out bit by bit. All at once would be too much to digest and post about. One question though ...

Sally Gunnel 400h 92 only had two votes, but they totaled 31 points and put her in 56th place. Decker vs Budd 84 had three votes, but only 7 points, which put them two places ahead of Gunnel, even though they had 24 less points. Shouldn't total points be the final factor?

Of course, we all love that you have taken the time to do this, and the discussion is about memories as much as it is about points. Jes wonderin' :D
bobguild76

Postby mump boy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:59 am

bobguild76 wrote:

54th

(and so on) ...

I love the results coming out bit by bit. All at once would be too much to digest and post about. One question though ...

Sally Gunnel 400h 92 only had two votes, but they totaled 31 points and put her in 56th place. Decker vs Budd 84 had three votes, but only 7 points, which put them two places ahead of Gunnel, even though they had 24 less points. Shouldn't total points be the final factor?

Of course, we all love that you have taken the time to do this, and the discussion is about memories as much as it is about points. Jes wonderin' :D

The whole point is that wide popularity is more important then being a few people's most favoured

See first page for explanation
mump boy

Postby bobguild76 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:09 am

mump boy wrote:
bobguild76 wrote:

54th

(and so on) ...

The whole point is that wide popularity is more important then being a few people's most favoured

See first page for explanation

Yep! It's right there in black and white. So much for my reading and retention skills. Thanks again for hosting this thread. As with most people on this thread, it's my first hit online when I wake up, and one of my last at night.
bobguild76

Postby mump boy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:24 am

bobguild76 wrote:
Yep! It's right there in black and white. So much for my reading and retention skills. Thanks again for hosting this thread. As with most people on this thread, it's my first hit online when I wake up, and one of my last at night.

haha and 27 times inbetween :D
mump boy

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results. 3 Votes

Postby Rog » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:25 am

Olli wrote:Szewinska's 400m in 1976, which I did witness real-time, was also sheer superiority. The WR improved quite a lot, more than half a second, I think. And this performance crowned her excellent career.

By the way, there was another thread about the decline of Finnish t&f and it might be recalled that there was a time in which Finnish women were also quite competitive in short distances. If I recall correctly, Pirjo Häggman lost the bronze with just a hundredth of a second. But while I may have focused on the bronze battle at the time, from a wider perspective it was of course eclipsed by Szewinska's supremacy.

Finland got 4th and 7th in that final, and also had a competitive team in the 4x400. Riita Salin, who was 7th in the final, was the European Champion in 74 with a new electronically timed WR of 50.14 - they also got the bronze in the 200 through Mona-Lisa Pursianen, who at one point was only a hundredth or two outside the 200 world record. I think in that Euro women's 4x400 they were only just beaten by the GDR!
Rog

Postby lionelp1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:49 am

I was the other Keino vote from 68. What a tumultuous week for him in Mexico and he clearly was confident that the altitude would favour him over the others, especially Ryun.
lionelp1

Postby mump boy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:20 am

50th

W100mh 08 (Sally interview) 24 points

One of these was me

Not so much the race although it was a great one but Sally's legendary interview afterwards

I've never really understood why we can't post Youtube clips on here but if you look up

'Sally Pearson 100m hurdle post interview' you'll see what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/
mump boy

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:08 pm

mump boy wrote:
50th

W100mh 08 (Sally interview) 24 points

One of these was me

Not so much the race although it was a great one but Sally's legendary interview afterwards

I've never really understood why we can't post Youtube clips on here but if you look up

'Sally Pearson 100m hurdle post interview' you'll see what i mean

http://www.youtube.com/

That video was one of the funniest and yet most honest post race/match/sport event interviews. The "I lied" bit when told she said she wasn't that bothered about medals is just what we all know athletes are really thinking and the joy she is projecting is just sport at it's purist.
eldanielfire

Postby Fortius19 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:22 am

Ha! I had Sally too for '08!

That interview was more memorable for me than her '12 Gold medal win!

"Did you see me?" What a line! Then I think she dropped the "s" word.

Wow, thinking back, I may have enjoyed the '08 Olympics on TV more than London.
Fortius19

Postby mump boy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:52 am

Fortius19 wrote:Ha! I had Sally too for '08!

That interview was more memorable for me than her '12 Gold medal win!

"Did you see me?" What a line! Then I think she dropped the "s" word.

Wow, thinking back, I may have enjoyed the '08 Olympics on TV more than London.

I think i did as well, London was all too easy i like having to get up at 2am going back to bed at 1am and feeling like i've got jet lag for 3 weeks. It all adds to the Olympics experience

:D :D
mump boy

Postby skiboo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Olli wrote:Szewinska's 400m in 1976, which I did witness real-time, was also sheer superiority. The WR improved quite a lot, more than half a second, I think. And this performance crowned her excellent career.

If anyone can find video of Szewinska's 49.28 world record in Montreal '76 I'll buy them an eternal round of favorite spirits. Seriously, though , it would be greatly appreciated!
skiboo

Postby Flumpy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:32 pm

54th

Who can forget this? It had everything. 17 year old Zola gets a dodgy passport just in time to qualify for the Olympics and somehow manages to trip up the nations 'sweetheart' and reigning World Champ in her only event of the Olympics. The crowd digracefully booed the teenager, the favourite showed her true colours and the race was won by a pesky communist!!!

mump boy wrote:46th

GBR M4x100m 04 32 points

In my head I always assume that that the American's dropped the baton or something, but no we just beat them :mrgreen:

Thank god Dwain wasn't in the team.
Flumpy

Postby drdan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:23 pm

49th

Heike Dreschler LJ 2000 31 points

OK, if I'd actualy got my ass into gear and voted, this would have been my #1 (my 20points). Drechsler's my all time favourite and watching her win this at 36 (35?) was marvellous, especially as it sort of seemed that, Euro Champs apart, the second half of the 90s hadnt really been great for her, medals-wise (some ace GP performances, however) and that this, surely, was her last chance.

Better yet, the LJ was supposed to be part of Marion Jones' "drive for five". There was, undeniably, something deeply satisfying about watching a 'real' long jumper beat the parvenu Jones (whose technique left more than a little to be desired). I think Jackie Edwards (BAH) said something to the same effect afterwards.

Drechsler looked pretty shocked to win (as she might have been at 6.99m). Whatever one thinks about Jones (and my opinion of her is pretty low), she was very gracious in defeat, saying that she didn't mind losing to one of the all-time greats. And I think that's what this was for me; proof, if proof were even needed, that Drechsler is the women's LJ GOAT.

Also, I watched this in a bar in Rome, where I had my first negroni, so it was excellent on a number of levels.
drdan

Postby mump boy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:14 pm

drdan wrote: And I think that's what this was for me; proof, if proof were even needed, that Drechsler is the women's LJ GOAT.

Deffo none needed :D
mump boy

Postby Pego » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:44 pm

drdan wrote:

49th

Heike Dreschler LJ 2000 31 points

OK, if I'd actualy got my ass into gear and voted, this would have been my #1 (my 20points). Drechsler's my all time favourite and watching her win this at 36 (35?) was marvellous, especially as it sort of seemed that, Euro Champs apart, the second half of the 90s hadnt really been great for her, medals-wise (some ace GP performances, however) and that this, surely, was her last chance.

Better yet, the LJ was supposed to be part of Marion Jones' "drive for five". There was, undeniably, something deeply satisfying about watching a 'real' long jumper beat the parvenu Jones (whose technique left more than a little to be desired). I think Jackie Edwards (BAH) said something to the same effect afterwards.

Drechsler looked pretty shocked to win (as she might have been at 6.99m). Whatever one thinks about Jones (and my opinion of her is pretty low), she was very gracious in defeat, saying that she didn't mind losing to one of the all-time greats. And I think that's what this was for me; proof, if proof were even needed, that Drechsler is the women's LJ GOAT.

Also, I watched this in a bar in Rome, where I had my first negroni, so it was excellent on a number of levels.

I looked up negroni. It sounds most intruiging, I'll have to try it.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming. Yes, Heike is the LJ GOAT, no doubt in my mind.
Pego

Postby TN1965 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:07 pm

Other people have already stated so eloquently why the victories of Keino, Szewinska and Drechsler were so great. I have nothing to add. :)

(Really just saving myself for future posts...)
TN1965

Postby Rog » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:15 pm

Flumpy wrote:

54th

Who can forget this? It had everything. 17 year old Zola gets a dodgy passport just in time to qualify for the Olympics and somehow manages to trip up the nations 'sweetheart' and reigning World Champ in her only event of the Olympics. The crowd digracefully booed the teenager, the favourite showed her true colours and the race was won by a pesky communist!!!

mump boy wrote:46th

GBR M4x100m 04 32 points

In my head I always assume that that the American's dropped the baton or something, but no we just beat them :mrgreen:

Thank god Dwain wasn't in the team.

It didn't have the best 3000 runner in the world, Tatyana Kazankina, boycotted out of the Olympics and prevented from winning her fourth gold
Rog

Postby Rog » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:20 pm

skiboo wrote:

If anyone can find video of Szewinska's 49.28 world record in Montreal '76 I'll buy them an eternal round of favorite spirits. Seriously, though , it would be greatly appreciated!

It's on youtube. Thanks for the drink, I'll have a malt whisky, but please, drink it for me by proxy
:wink:
Rog

Postby bobguild76 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:09 pm

skiboo wrote:

Here's a link to a Youtube compendium of each of Szewinska's Olympic golds. The '76 400 comes at the 1:25 mark. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vHhJkkOaos
bobguild76

Postby mump boy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:15 pm

bobguild76 wrote:
skiboo wrote:

Here's a link to a Youtube compendium of each of Szewinska's Olympic golds. The '76 400 comes at the 1:25 mark. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vHhJkkOaos

I LOVE Irena she's probably my female over all GOAT :D
mump boy

Postby bobguild76 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:54 pm

mump boy wrote:I LOVE Irena she's probably my female over all GOAT :D

I'm with you ... although I would make it a toss-up between her & JJK. I also agree with you on Dreschler as the LJ GOAT. All three seemed to have class & dignity to go with their incredible competitive drive & records.
bobguild76

Postby Flumpy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:48 am

Rog wrote:It didn't have the best 3000 runner in the world, Tatyana Kazankina, boycotted out of the Olympics and prevented from winning her fourth gold

Considering what happened a month later it's probably for the best.

Still looking forward to tracking her down in Moscow next year :mrgreen:
Flumpy

Postby Rog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:17 am

Flumpy wrote:
Rog wrote:It didn't have the best 3000 runner in the world, Tatyana Kazankina, boycotted out of the Olympics and prevented from winning her fourth gold

Considering what happened a month later it's probably for the best.

Still looking forward to tracking her down in Moscow next year :mrgreen:

Ah, but remember, she didn't fail a test, she just refused to take one. Reports at the time indicated that this was due to her coach/guard whatever, and not necessarily her own decision. She was a great athlete regardless, and she deserved her chance for gold. She seems a more admirable athlete than Decker, who apart from her childish behaviour used to refuse to call the soviet athletes women because she said drugs meant they weren't chemically female, but was found to have taken them herself!
Rog

Postby mump boy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:39 am

mump boy

Postby Fortius19 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:37 pm

I wasn't following T&F or Olympics in '84 (I was 13), but I do remember the front page (local Northern California) newspaper stories and pictures of Mary Decker lying on the ground, crying and being carried away. It seemed a bit much to me at the time (still does).

That is my #1 main memory of '84 Los Angeles.

hmm, I digress:

'88, my #1 memory was Ben
'92 my #1 memory was not being able to watch it like I wanted to (in person or the triple cast)
'96 my #1 memory is MJ 200 win I saw in person!
'00 is Marion's drive for five
'04 is SP comp in Greece's ancient Olympia stadium and Adam missing a Gold my one cm!
'08 is UB's 100m win thumping his chest
'12 is... wow, way too many, too recent I guess

I may vaguely remember Jimmy Carter's '80 boycott from "Current Events" in elementary school.
I remember knowing of Bruce Jenner as a kid. I assume from his '76 win in Montreal.

Good times!
Fortius19

Postby Olli » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:49 pm

mump boy wrote:Mary Decker is just vile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT0otatX6Wg

Hmm, one can understand her disappointment and bitterness, but it is of course another thing to demand that owing to her inadvertent move Budd should have been disqualified and the entire race been run anew.

This raises the question: what do the rules actually say? Can races be rerun in some conditions? I think I vaguely remember that women's 100m hurdles were rerun in some (???) games, but one would think it is out of question in distance running.

When one comes to think about it, Gammoudi might have been equally justified to demand that the Munich 10000m be rerun and Viren be disqualified. (The falling Viren inadvertently tripped Gammoudi, who therefore lost his chances.)
Olli

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:09 am

Olli wrote:
mump boy wrote:Mary Decker is just vile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT0otatX6Wg

Hmm, one can understand her disappointment and bitterness, but it is of course another thing to demand that owing to her inadvertent move Budd should have been disqualified and the entire race been run anew.

If Decker wasn't a proven cheat and such an unpleasant person people would be more sympathetic. Morgan Uceny has twice now been a million times classier despite her complete lack of luck in 2 Championships.
eldanielfire

Postby mump boy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:33 am

She admits herself that she would have been unable to take part in a re-run so what purpose would it have achieved ??

Accidents happen during races, it doesn't have to be anyone specifics fault, nobody pushed her or purposefully tripped her and to still be so bitter 8 years later would just be sad if she wasn't so nasty about it.
Last edited by mump boy on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:58 am

Especially considering who she is taking her frustaration out on. Zola was 17 years old at the time and ended up in 7th (I think). She paid just as big a price for the incident as Decker did.
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:51 am

3 Votes

45th

Herb Elliot 1500m 60 33 points

44th

Kevin Young 400mh 92 35 points

42nd

Mens 10k 2000 Geb v Tergat 37 points
Derek Redmond 400m 92 37 points

40th

Carl Lewis 4 golds 84 41 points
Paavo Nurmi 1500/5k double 24 41 points

39th

Fernanda v Wang 10k 96 44 points

38th

Daley Thompson Dec 84 46 points
mump boy

Postby Pego » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:53 am

Budd should have been disqualified

I saw that race live and then umpteen times in rerun, regular speed, slow-mo... and I just cannot see where Budd fouled. She was already established inside, she was ahead of Decker. I would not blame anybody, but to me, Decker was clearly more responsible than Budd.
Last edited by Pego on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pego

Postby Olli » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:59 am

Pego wrote:
Olli wrote:Budd should have been disqualified

Please don't quote me as if that were MY opinion, when I meant the opposite! Did I write that unclearly???
Olli

Postby Pego » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:26 am

Olli wrote:
Pego wrote:
Olli wrote:Budd should have been disqualified

Please don't quote me as if that were MY opinion, when I meant the opposite! Did I write that unclearly???

Sorry, I missread your post and took that phrase out of context. I removed your name from that citation.
Pego

Postby lonewolf » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:30 am

Pego wrote:[I saw that race umpteen times in rerun, regular speed, slow-mo... and I just cannot see where Budd fouled. She was already established inside, she was ahead of Decker. I would not blame anybody, but to me, Decker was clearly more responsible than Budd.

That has always been my opinion also.
lonewolf

Postby mump boy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:07 am

There's only 1 person in history who thinks any different :roll:
mump boy

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:25 pm

mump boy wrote:There's only 1 person in history who thinks any different :roll:

I think there are/were a lot of americans who think it was Budds fault. To be honest I grew up somehow thinking it was Budd, almost every British recap is hardly supportive of Zola Budd because they all want to concentrate at what a CONTROVERSY it was and rarely point out that this 17 year old girl was innocent in an accident. Often they leave it as if the case was still open to debate.
eldanielfire

Postby Rog » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:10 pm

The Decker-Budd thing in 84 is kept alive because it makes a good news story. It's hype. Athletically it wasn't a highlight of the 84 Games.

As for Derek Redmond - let me just say :roll:
Rog

Postby mump boy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:28 am

I chose Derek Redmond and i don't care who knows it, it's a perfect Olympic moment and makes me cry every time i see it :cry: :cry: :D
mump boy

Postby Daisy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:41 am

I voted for the following three.
44th Kevin Young 400mh 92 35 points
40th Carl Lewis 4 golds 84 41 points
38th Daley Thompson Dec 84 46 points

Young as it was such a remarkable WR. Almost like men against boys with that huge stride length.

I was in the stadium the night that Lewis won his 4th. I didn't think he had a chance, so it was amazing to see him pull it out of the bag. Also impressive to see all the flashes go off in the stands every time he jumped.

Thompson was the epitome of a competitor, and the LA decathlon really summed him up. Specifically, when Hingsen had a good lead in the discus and Thompson pulled out a huge throw on his third effort.
Daisy

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:29 am

Mump, that Redmond moment is a favorite of mine though I did not put it on the list. Too many purists on these boards balk at that, but, there aren't many moments that can bring a tear to your eye like that! And given some of the other moments and reasons listed, who can complain about putting that on here?

Like Daisy, I also had Kevin Young. That was such a shocker, first and only sub 47 and is standing the test of time. Kevin Young chasing the all time great Moses and doing it on the grandest of stages!

Also had Carl Lewis. They kept hyping how he was going to try and match the great Jesse Owen's so I was glued to the TV wondering if he could do it. Some of those early moments from our younger years stick with us forever!
odelltrclan

PreviousNext