Melaine Walker

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Melaine Walker

Postby shivfan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:49 am

"There were definitely issues at the Olympics and they are very complicated. I always believe that when I compete, it's not just for myself but I am also looking at the future for athletes coming up and other stuff," said Walker. "I guess what happened, there was so much going on, some of it is not my place to say, but more could have been done from a JAAA perspective," Walker added. "However, what I can say is that I had been having problems most of the year since the Rome race. I wasn't able to sleep and that got me seventh in the Diamond League. Similarly, I had problems getting rest in London. Also, part of the problems that I cannot mention in detail is that I was taken aback by our officials' support to facilitate in some regard. I am not able to give definite scenarios, but I would imagine that we have earned the right to a certain level of professionalism and cognisance of Jamaican athletes. I just lost the fire. It was a human lapse. There was just too much happening," Walker continued. "I remember cases where I had to be carrying bags of ice on my bag myself," Walker noted. "A lot of us won't look into stuff like that and think it's a problem, but when we see how other athletes are being catered for, we are all going to make our own judgements on how we think or believe the people who are ahead of us care or don't care."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2013 ... orts1.html
shivfan

Re: Melaine Walker

Postby ATK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:40 am

Curious which other Jamaican athletes can back this up. If the JAAA did something wrong, I would assume she was not the only one to feel the effects. Also considering she was one of the top Jamaican athletes, im very interested in a clearer picture of the "JAAA neglect."
ATK

Postby AS » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:51 pm

Oh my god, she had to carry her own ice?!?!?!?! What is the world coming to? Where is Amnesty International and the UN to monitor the treatment of these poor, downtrodden athletes??

Toughen up!

Note: For all you Americans, that is called sarcasm
AS

Postby TxHottrack » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:36 pm

AS wrote:Oh my god, she had to carry her own ice?!?!?!?! What is the world coming to? Where is Amnesty International and the UN to monitor the treatment of these poor, downtrodden athletes??

Toughen up!

Note: For all you Americans, that is called sarcasm

Melaine Walker is tough! She attended Univeristy of Texas for a couple years! She just want some of the same treatment as her fellow top class athletes receiving. Let's not forget she won gold at the 2008 Olympics. Why not cater to her a little bit?
TxHottrack

Postby jamboy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Yada Yada Yada.

Toughen up Melanie. You certainly didn't go through anything more than any other Jamaican athlete and many of them did well in London.

Get over it and move on. I don't think anyone will feel sorry for you.
jamboy

Postby vip » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:16 pm

She reacted very weirdly following her flame-out in London, as though she didn't even care. And now, in this rant, she's very vague about a lot of things. If her purpose is to alert people of the so-called "hardships" she had to endure because of the actions of others -- carrying her own ice, oh my, the indignity -- then she needs be more specific and stop the coy game.

Otherwise, she should just clam up, take responsibility for her own embarrassing Olympic result and move on.
vip

Postby jamboy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:29 pm

vip wrote:She reacted very weirdly following her flame-out in London, as though she didn't even care. And now, in this rant, she's very vague about a lot of things. If her purpose is to alert people of the so-called "hardships" she had to endure because of the actions of others -- carrying her own ice, oh my, the indignity -- then she needs be more specific and stop the coy game.

Otherwise, she should just clam up, take responsibility for her own embarrassing Olympic result and move on.

Obviously, there is more to the story and she would just rather just be coy and not call any names.

At this point, most don't care what the real story is.

Just time for her to toughen up and move on.
jamboy

Postby TxHottrack » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:11 am

jamboy wrote:Yada Yada Yada.

Toughen up Melanie. You certainly didn't go through anything more than any other Jamaican athlete and many of them did well in London.

What if it was SAFP expressing the same issues? Would you tell her to just toughen up, or would you have more compassion and understanding?
TxHottrack

Postby jamal00005 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:01 am

TxHottrack wrote:

What if it was SAFP expressing the same issues? Would you tell her to just toughen up, or would you have more compassion and understanding?

Well of course not......he is SAFP's biggest fan apparently.....i dont know why he doesn't get of Melaine's back!!! ....Im sure Shelly got better treatment than Melaine.
jamal00005

Postby t_monk » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:04 pm

Whatever the issue is/was clearly affected her a whole lot. I am willing to give Melanie a pass this time around. This is a girl that won Olympic and World gold in the 400mH, she also won the 400mH silver medal in the 400mH from lane 8... This girl is clearly a fighter so whatever caused her 'lapse' last year must have been more than just carrying her own ice. I say we lay off her and allow her to do her thing. She'll be back with a vengeance soon as long as she has the drive.
t_monk

Postby ATK » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:23 pm

t_monk wrote:Whatever the issue is/was clearly affected her a whole lot. I am willing to give Melanie a pass this time around. This is a girl that won Olympic and World gold in the 400mH, she also won the 400mH silver medal in the 400mH from lane 8... This girl is clearly a fighter so whatever caused her 'lapse' last year must have been more than just carrying her own ice. I say we lay off her and allow her to do her thing. She'll be back with a vengeance soon as long as she has the drive.

or she could just be finding a scapegoat for her own mishaps. Its very odd that she would be the only athlete to call out the JAAA.
ATK

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 pm

ATK wrote:or she could just be finding a scapegoat for her own mishaps. Its very odd that she would be the only athlete to call out the JAAA.

So how many defending OG candidates does Jamaica have. She seems to be saying that she was not treated like those other athletes (Bolt, VCB, SAFP). Not too many others in her set (defending champ) that could complain.
26mi235

Postby ATK » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:20 pm

26mi235 wrote:
ATK wrote:or she could just be finding a scapegoat for her own mishaps. Its very odd that she would be the only athlete to call out the JAAA.

So how many defending OG candidates does Jamaica have. She seems to be saying that she was not treated like those other athletes (Bolt, VCB, SAFP). Not too many others in her set (defending champ) that could complain.

True, JAAA forgot to include her name on the the Olympic champion ice carrying training camp. She has all the right to complain...
ATK

Postby DentyCracker » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:26 pm

You guys would speak differently if you knew the whole truth. Trust me it is far deeper than what is being said. Some things are just not messageboard fodder. and jammin STFU
DentyCracker

Postby ATK » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:21 am

DentyCracker wrote:You guys would speak differently if you knew the whole truth. Trust me it is far deeper than what is being said. Some things are just not messageboard fodder. and jammin STFU

100% agree with you, but unfortunately we don't. The only known information is what she said, so there is nothing else to go off of.
ATK

Postby lionelp1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:58 am

Carried her own ice. Wow thats serious :)
A great champion should have more balls than that and the other mysteries with the nudge nudge wink wink comments. Not convincing.
lionelp1

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:27 am

Well, some people do not seem to be able to read between the lines despite multiple hints.
26mi235

Postby TxHottrack » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:43 am

lionelp1 wrote:Carried her own ice. Wow thats serious :)
A great champion should have more balls than that and the other mysteries with the nudge nudge wink wink comments. Not convincing.

I has to be waaaaaay bigger than Melaine carrying her own ice!
TxHottrack

Postby jamboy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:58 pm

jamal00005 wrote:
TxHottrack wrote:

Well of course not......he is SAFP's biggest fan apparently.....i dont know why he doesn't get of Melaine's back!!! ....Im sure Shelly got better treatment than Melaine.

I can't support someone when I do not know the truth and you would be a fool to believe it is all about carrying ice. She is obviously being politically correct maybe fearing repercussions if she spoke the truth. If she can't speak her mind and tell us everything, she should not be talking to anyone in the media.
jamboy

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:28 pm

jamboy wrote:I can't support someone when I do not know the truth and you would be a fool to believe it is all about carrying ice. She is obviously being politically correct maybe fearing repercussions if she spoke the truth. If she can't speak her mind and tell us everything, she should not be talking to anyone in the media.

That is a little silly -- if she does not feel comfortable telling everything she should in no way say anything at all. Why am I getting the picture that ... some divisions and hard feelings and egos...
26mi235