Super Bowl collegiate trivia

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Super Bowl collegiate trivia

Postby gh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:28 pm

from my paper this morning:

<<Unlike Alabama, LSU or any other fancy-pants football behemoth, the players at [name the school] have partial scholarships and part-time jobs.

This explains why [the coach] doesn't merely instruct his players. He also might order the daily special from his free safety and hand his grocery money to his punter.

"Oh, sure," he said. "For example, if you go to Dick's Sporting Goods, you're going to get checked out by one of our players. Or you go to Sam's Club. Or Lowe's, usually the guys are in the gardening section. A lot of jobs like that."

Given that backdrop, it's notable that he will bump into two of his former players Sunday, but their jobs these days pay better than near-minimum wage.

Both [x and y] proudly will represent [x] in Super Bowl XLVII.

Yes, [x] will have more former players in Sunday's game than Notre Dame, Florida State, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State and Texas A&M. They also will match the total of national-champion Alabama and other bluebloods such as Georgia and Florida....>>

Any guesses as to the school?

If you give up you can go here (no spoilers plz):

http://bit.ly/WyMbYm
gh

Re: Super Bowl collegiate trivia

Postby lonewolf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Does that mean if you know the answer you can't guess. :?
lonewolf

Postby gh » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:26 am

No, it meant don't look at the answer and then leave a clue. (and the lack of action here means it has been a veerrrrrrryyyy busy work week for me!)
gh

Postby Master Po » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:02 am

Interesting article -- thanks for posting it gh. I don't follow these things all that closely, so I wouldn't have known in any case. And, since I don't really have a clue, I can be sure not to leave a clue. I will be interested to see if anyone does guess correctly. I'm always surprised at the things people know on here.
Master Po

Postby Jnathletics » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:47 am

I'm going to guess Grand Valley St. It's a division 2 school in Michigan that I know has won a few NCAA Div II championships.
Jnathletics