Te'o or Beyonce?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Te'o or Beyonce?

Postby jhc68 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:03 pm

I've been unable to sleep well lately fretting over which of the two major news stories so far in 2013 is the most inconsequential:
Is it Manti Te'o's virtual girlfriend or Beyonce's alleged lip synching?
Which of these two is the least important to anyone on earth?
Any other stories anywhere near the same level of So-Whatness?
Lance's fall from grace at least has monetary impact.
jhc68

Re: Te'o or Beyonce?

Postby bambam » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:14 am

I would only be concerned if Manti Te'o was found to have lip synched on Katie Couric, or if Beyonce had a virtual girlfriend.
bambam

Postby Pego » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:57 am

Beyonce's rendition of the national anthem was called "highly acclaimed." I thought it was awful, just as the vast majority of the pop "stars" renditions are. If you cannot sing it without the help of "improvisation," wtf do you do it for? Singing the standard garbage is more profitable anyway.
Pego

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:18 am

Lip-synching under the circumstances that Beyonce did is standard operating procedure. Both Whitney Houston and Jennifer Hudson lip-synched when they sung the national anthem at the Super Bowl, and Aretha Franklin said that she regrets not heeding the advice of the producers of the 2008 inauguration who strongly urged her the lip-synch there.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:15 am

I'm filled with ennui over Beyonce's lip-syncing and I find Te'o's situation so banal . . . but TMZ would implode without such cataclysmic news to report on.
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:22 am

Marlow wrote:I'm filled with ennui over Beyonce's lip-syncing and I find Te'o's situation so banal . . . but TMZ would implode without such cataclysmic news to report on.

And that implosion would be bad because . . . .???? :)
tandfman

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:29 am

FYI, the Marine band that accompanied Beyonce finger-synched and so did the Yitzhak Perlman/Yo-yo Ma string quartet at the 2009 inauguration.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:15 am

jazzcyclist wrote:FYI, the Marine band that accompanied Beyonce finger-synched

:lol:
Marlow

Postby bambam » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:33 am

Marlow wrote:I'm filled with ennui over Beyonce's lip-syncing and I find Te'o's situation so banal . . . but TMZ would implode without such cataclysmic news to report on.

But it was Deadspin that revealed the Te'o situation
bambam

Postby kuha » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:38 am

All of this is foolishness, of course. That said, I remain dumbfounded that anyone can "have"--and publicly talk about--a dear loved one that didn't actually exist. This is ultimately harmless, I suppose, but truly weird.
kuha

Postby lonewolf » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:52 am

My life was and remains completely unaffected by either incident.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:16 pm

kuha wrote:All of this is foolishness, of course. That said, I remain dumbfounded that anyone can "have"--and publicly talk about--a dear loved one that didn't actually exist. This is ultimately harmless, I suppose, but truly weird.

If you think about that for a sec, you'll get that it is happening every day with 100s of millions of people.
Marlow

Postby Friar » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:24 pm

" help of "improvisation," aka Melisma:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melisma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye7s4ybA7h4

The connection being that both Beyonce's people and ND were a bit naive if they thought they could pull off these scams for very long (in her case a few hours).
Friar

Postby kuha » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:45 pm

Marlow wrote:
kuha wrote:All of this is foolishness, of course. That said, I remain dumbfounded that anyone can "have"--and publicly talk about--a dear loved one that didn't actually exist. This is ultimately harmless, I suppose, but truly weird.

If you think about that for a sec, you'll get that it is happening every day with 100s of millions of people.

If you are a bot, then I accept the general thesis of your point. If you are simply a wanna-be-bot, I don't accept it. Either way, I prefer not to think about this too deeply.
kuha

Postby Master Po » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:19 pm

"Oh the faux-humanity!"
:wink:
Master Po

Postby Marlow » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:20 pm

kuha wrote:If you are a bot, then I accept the general thesis of your point. If you are simply a wanna-be-bot, I don't accept it. Either way, I prefer not to think about this too deeply.

What if I'm a never-was-bot?
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:05 am

Friar wrote:The connection being that both Beyonce's people and ND were a bit naive if they thought they could pull off these scams for very long (in her case a few hours).

Beyonce didn't scam anyone. As I said earlier, what she did was standard operating procedure.
jazzcyclist

Postby Helen S » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:52 am

BOT? ro-bot? mo-bot? What is a BOT?
Helen S

Postby TN1965 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:28 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Friar wrote:The connection being that both Beyonce's people and ND were a bit naive if they thought they could pull off these scams for very long (in her case a few hours).

Beyonce didn't scam anyone. As I said earlier, what she did was standard operating procedure.

Totally agree. That was just an attempt to create a controversy where there was none.
TN1965

Postby Flumpy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:18 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Aretha Franklin said that she regrets not heeding the advice of the producers of the 2008 inauguration who strongly urged her the lip-synch there.

Aretha was terrible.
Flumpy

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:24 pm

Flumpy wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Aretha Franklin said that she regrets not heeding the advice of the producers of the 2008 inauguration who strongly urged her the lip-synch there.

Aretha was terrible.

In the interview, she seemed heartbroken, as though she had let the country down, but she said the cold weather got to her. You may remember that it was really cold that day, with the temperature only getting up to 28F by the time Obama took the oath, which made it impossible to tune musical instruments, which is why the string quartet finger-synched. What Aretha should have done was record a few days ahead of time for insurance and then decide on the day of the inauguration whether she would go live or not. Even if the weather had been okay, what if she had woke up with a cold that morning. To me it makes no sense to have a back-up plan in such situations.
jazzcyclist

Postby Friar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:56 pm

Beyonce didn't scam anyone.

She had a chance to issue a press release a few hours later explaining why. Instead she let others speculate. ND also had info on Te'o for about a week before the story broke. They didn't do a news dump either. Big mistake to not control your own message on your own terms.

I agree they should have NA backup plans. However I doubt anyone would get the gig if they said --prior-- they wouldn't be doing it live (for whatever reason).
Friar

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:47 am

Friar wrote:
Beyonce didn't scam anyone.

She had a chance to issue a press release a few hours later explaining why. Instead she let others speculate.

Why should she issue a press release when she didn't do anything out of the ordinary? Has anyone else in the past ever issued a press release? This is a media-fabricated controversy.

Friar wrote:However I doubt anyone would get the gig if they said --prior-- they wouldn't be doing it live (for whatever reason).

You're absolutely wrong. As I said earlier, musical artists performing the national anthem at outdoor venues at these types of events are strongly encouraged to lip-synch.
By now, most people have probably heard about or seen Jennifer Hudson's flawless performance of the national anthem at Sunday's Super Bowl in Tampa, Fla.

What they may not know is the reason why it was flawless: Hudson lip-synced the anthem to a previously recorded track, and apparently so did Faith Hill who performed before her.

They did so at the request of Rickey Minor, the pregame show producer. Minor told The Associated Press that he insisted Hudson and Hill, who sang "America the Beautiful" before the anthem, use the tracks the National Football League requires them to submit a week before the game.

"That's the right way to do it," said Minor, who has produced numerous Super Bowl pregame performances and is the music director for "American Idol." "There's too many variables to go live. I would never recommend any artist go live because the slightest glitch would devastate the performance."

Apparently, more and more artists agree. Lip-syncing, once considered an industry taboo, has become expected for pop stars like Britney Spears, who are better known for their performances and personality than their singing ability. But, surprisingly, it has also become de rigueur for some of the best singers and musicians who perform at high-stakes live events such as the Super Bowl.. . . . . .

People want it to be technically perfect as well as emotionally inspiring. Can you guarantee that live? Maybe. But it's good to have insurance."

The NFL certainly thinks so. According to "The Making of the Super Bowl: The Inside Story of the World's Greatest Sporting Event" by former league executive director Don Weiss, the NFL has required performers to have a backup track since 1993. . . . . .

Before then, some stars were electing to use a prerecorded track at high-profile events. They include a performance many singers consider the benchmark -- Whitney Houston.

Houston's unforgettable rendition of the anthem at the 1991 Super Bowl, during the first Gulf War, set the standard that most singers have tried to top. But that performance, which was also in Tampa, was lip-synced as well, according to the AP.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Win ... 924&page=1
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:53 am

Here's Aretha Franklin take on this fake controversy:

"But, when I heard the news this evening that she was pre-recorded I really laughed. I thought it was funny because the weather down there was about 46 or 44 degrees and for most singers that is just not good singing weather," Franklin told ABC News in an interview. In fact, the weather was even colder than that Monday, around 40 degrees.

"When I heard that I just really cracked up. I thought it was really funny, but she did a beautiful job with the pre-record ... next time I'll probably do the same."

Of course, in her inauguration performance in 2009, she sang it live because, she says, "I wanted to give people the real thing and pre-recording never crossed my mind."

She did lament that she wished she hadn't had to wait so long in the cold four years ago, saying that if she hadn't, her performance -- which had the crowd going wild -- would have been even better.

"Had I not had to sit that long, I had to sit for 45 or 30 minutes and it was much colder, it was in the 20s," Franklin said, of the performance where both her voice and her hat got noticed. "I just wished I could have sung the moment I got there," she said. "If I could have walked on immediately and sung it wouldn't have affected my voice the way it did."

The 70 year-old music legend did admit to lip-syncing once when she performed "The Star-Spangled Banner" before the Detroit Pistons took on the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 5 of the NBA Finals in June of 2004.

So, does she think it's wrong what The Queen Bey did?

"I think it's optional really, it's up to the artist," Franklin said. "In 2009, I wanted everything to be live and on the real side for the moment as it actually happened. Those were my feelings for my performance, but having come face to face with 28, 22 degrees I am not surprised she pre-recorded. She wanted her performance to be what she wanted to be and she realized it wasn't going to be the way she wanted it to be or she was going to be running a risk. That's probably why she pre-recorded exactly how she wanted it to be heard."

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/bey ... d=18289912
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:38 am

Friar wrote:I doubt anyone would get the gig if they said --prior-- they wouldn't be doing it live (for whatever reason).

Wouldn't you think it would be the producers that insist they have a recording ready to go?
Marlow

Postby Rog » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:12 am

Is this the same Beyonce about whom there were all those rumours that she faked her pregnancy and had a surrogate carry the baby? If so, lip synching is pretty small beer.
Rog

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:21 pm

Today Beyonce removed any doubts that she can sing when she sang the national anthem a capella at a Super Bowl press conference and she also said that it was always her plan to lip-synch at the Inauguration for the same reasons that Aretha Franklin said that she wish she would have lip-synched four years ago.

I am a perfectionist. And one thing about me, I practice until my feet bleed and I did not have time to rehearse with the orchestra. It was a live television show, and a very very important emotional show for me, one of my proudest moments. And due to the weather, due to the delay, due to no proper sound check, I did not feel comfortable taking a risk. It was about the president and the inauguration, and I wanted to make him and my country proud, so I decided to sing along with my pre-recorded track, which is very common in the music industry. And I'm very proud of my performance."

http://www.nola.com/superbowl/index.ssf ... press.html

I hope this explanation satisfies Friar. :wink:
jazzcyclist

Postby Friar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:59 pm

She can do anything she wants and if the Pres is ok with it who cares? My point was that to not say anything afterward --in a press release-- was not nice. It left the Marine Band in an odd place.

Suffice it to say that the two other vocalist guests were also concerned with getting it right and while they might not be "perfectionist(s)" they did good.
Friar

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:28 am

Were you equally outraged when Whitney Houston and Jennifer Hudson failed to give public statements on lip-synching?
jazzcyclist

Postby no one » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:25 am

each is much ado about nothing. Media is desperate.
no one

Postby lonewolf » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:32 pm

no one wrote:each is much ado about nothing. Media is desperate.

Amen!
lonewolf

Postby jhc68 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Just as I was coming to grips with this stuff NOW I have to worry about Ray Lewis and Deer Antler Spray !!! :shock:
jhc68

Postby kuha » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:22 am

Or this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/3 ... ostpopular

There are SO MANY existential crises to worry about.

Just say neigh.
kuha

Postby jhc68 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:24 pm

Whoppers tainted with HORSEMEAT!!! Oh, the humanity...
This makes a huge impact on my life because, although I never dine at Burger King, I WAS in Ireland just a few months ago.
Everyone knows that nothing on earth could be more horrible than consuming horsemeat, and I was in close proximity to the consumption.
More sleepless nights ahead for me.
jhc68