T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results. More 2 Votes

Postby mump boy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:23 am

I could post more 2 votes but a lot of people haven't commented on the last lot yet :(
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:11 am

Sorry. I'll get on it later today.
Flumpy

Postby nevetsllim » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:54 am

Yifter and Kazankina were tenth and eleventh respectively on my list btw.
nevetsllim

Postby Olli » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:30 am

Yifter was in my first sketch for a list, but for some reason I left him out. Perhaps I shouldn't have. Not only was his kick impressive, but he ended the era of Viren and kind of started Africans' dominance in distance running. (I said "kind of" since there had been good Africans before, and since he did not have successors immediately in 1984.) Actually, the reason why I eventually left him out was probably just that for a Finnish kid, the Ethiopians' superiority in 1980 was not strictly speaking a "favorite" moment – a narrow-minded nationalist perspective, to be sure.
Olli

Postby Pego » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:35 am

I saw Yifter once, at the Bratislava Grand Prix (RIP :( ) while visiting in June 1980. Most exceptional character in many ways.
Pego

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results 2 Vote

Postby Flumpy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:18 pm

mump boy wrote:
16 points

77th
Kenteris and Thanou drug bust 04

Only 2 votes. Come on people this was glorious.

Two of the most obvious drug chats in history rumbled just before the Olympic in their own country. Hats of to the IAAF/IOC/WADA or whoever it was that targeted them. I wish they'd do it more often. There were a couple of Gold Medallists at these games that deffo got of scot free.

The fact that they made such a conflama out the whole thing with made up motorbike crashes etc made it even more memorable.

It's just a pity that there were never actually caught with drugs in their system and never properly convicted in the Greek courts.

mump boy wrote:20 points

70th
w100m '92

Again only 2 votes??? The greatest women's 100m race of all time with 0.06 separating 1st - 5th and The Queen shocking ending up in 5th :shock: (3rd we could have understood).

Obviously I'm not much of a fan of the result but nothing can beat the 90's sprint divas and it's only VERY recently that the event has even vaguely been as interesting as it was 20 years ago.
Flumpy

Postby odelltrclan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Flumpy wrote:
77th

Somehow when you were requesting your lists I had more in my mind favorite "competition" moments. Not moments of infamy. A number of events therefore never even hit my radar screen for consideration.

As per the women's 1992 Women's 100M finals. There are just so many great moments from the years 40+ track events from how many Olympics, that some fade from memories more than others. I remember my shock at the failure of Michael Johnson to advance in the 200 far more than this, but that was certainly not a "favorite" moment.
odelltrclan

Postby gh » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Flumpy wrote:
mump boy wrote:
16 points

77th

Two of the most obvious drug chats in history rumbled just before the Olympic in their own country. Hats of to the IAAF/IOC/WADA or whoever it was that targeted them. I wish they'd do it more often. There were a couple of Gold Medallists at these games that deffo got of scot free.

The fact that they made such a conflama out the whole thing with made up motorbike crashes etc made it even more memorable.

It's just a pity that there were never actually caught with drugs in their system and never properly convicted in the Greek courts.

mump boy wrote:20 points

70th
w100m '92

Again only 2 votes??? The greatest women's 100m race of all time with 0.06 separating 1st - 5th and The Queen shocking ending up in 5th :shock: (3rd we could have understood).

Obviously I'm not much of a fan of the result but nothing can beat the 90's sprint divas and it's only VERY recently that the event has even vaguely been as interesting as it was 20 years ago.

If you're going to remain fixated on the seamy side of the sport, at least be fixated about it. You're piling on the Greeks and raving about others who "got off scot free" then in the same breath put Ottey on a pedestal when if he hearing panel hadn't gotten the math wrong two years earlier wouldn't even have been in the meet. Fair is fair.
gh

Postby Flumpy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:43 pm

We're not going through this again.

I don't count nandrolone +ives.
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:25 pm

And it's Gary's rule that if you don't get banned your considered innocent

Anyway we're definitely not going down that road again
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:31 pm

So moving swiftly on

21 points

65th

Allyson Felix 200m 12
US 400m sweep 88
Mac Wilkins Discus win 76
Abebe Bikila Marathon victory 64

23 points

64th

Stacey Dragila PV win 2000

24 points

62nd

Ulf Timmerman mSP 88
David Hemery 400mh 68

26 points

61st

Lasse Viren Double Double (includes 1 double and 1 5k which completed the double)

27 points

59th

Ed Moses 400mh win 84
Geb v Tergat 96

29 points

58th

Wladyslaw Kozakiewicz pv win and gesture

30 points

57th Charles Austin HJ 96

31 points

56th

Sally Gunnel 400h 92

38 points

55th Opening ceremony 2000
Last edited by mump boy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby Olli » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:42 pm

mump boy wrote:So moving swiftly on

26 points

61st

Lasse Viren Double Double (includes 1 double and 1 5k which completed the double)

I voted for Viren 1976 5000m, partly for the way it completed his double double (so OK to combine them together), partly for the race itself. The race was as exiting as a race can get and was the ultimate proof of Viren's tactical abilities: able to kick but also able to exhaust the better kickers (Quax and Dixon) by front-running (something Prefontaine had unsuccesfully attempted four years earlier).

I also voted for Bikila 1964, even though I (being born 1964) could not witness it real-time. But his vast superiority, combined with his cool gymnastics show, is still so impressive. (And he was
the first to repeat the marathon victory.)
Olli

Postby odelltrclan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:50 am

I was one who voted for Ovett's 800 win in 1980 as one moment. Simply because of the rivalry between Coe and Ovett, and Ovett being the favorite in the 1500 while Coe was a big favorite in the 800. It seemed quite the upset and shock for Ovett to win that race. Equally exciting to me was Coe returning the favor in the 1500 later in the games. Ovett positioned himself for the win, but just couldn't match Coe and lost the race. Those were the biggest names in the middle distances in those days. What a great rivalry!
odelltrclan

Postby Atanvarno » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:25 am

odelltrclan wrote:I was one who voted for Ovett's 800 win in 1980 as one moment. Simply because of the rivalry between Coe and Ovett, and Ovett being the favorite in the 1500 while Coe was a big favorite in the 800. It seemed quite the upset and shock for Ovett to win that race. Equally exciting to me was Coe returning the favor in the 1500 later in the games. Ovett positioned himself for the win, but just couldn't match Coe and lost the race. Those were the biggest names in the middle distances in those days. What a great rivalry!

I had those two moments in my list for exactly the same reasons. Ovett shocking Coe and Coe's impressive comeback in the 1500m (more on that, when it comes up).
Atanvarno

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:51 am

odelltrclan wrote:I was one who voted for Ovett's 800 win in 1980 as one moment. Simply because of the rivalry between Coe and Ovett, and Ovett being the favorite in the 1500 while Coe was a big favorite in the 800. It seemed quite the upset and shock for Ovett to win that race. Equally exciting to me was Coe returning the favor in the 1500 later in the games. Ovett positioned himself for the win, but just couldn't match Coe and lost the race. Those were the biggest names in the middle distances in those days. What a great rivalry!

I have Coe's in for much the same reason. I'm too young to have been shocked by Ovett's win a sit was already history but can see the mpressive comeback by Coe and that great, great, great image of him crossing the finishing line. That picture sums up everything about what it takes and what it is to win at the Olympics in one go. It is possible the greatest image of any event at the Olympics I've seen.
eldanielfire

Postby gh » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:57 am

Flumpy wrote:We're not going through this again.

I don't count nandrolone +ives.

Just remember your "we're not going through this again" the next time you decide to throw in a gratuitous drug reference in a thread where it doesn't belong.
gh

Postby Daisy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:05 pm

Atanvarno wrote:

I had those two moments in my list for exactly the same reasons. Ovett shocking Coe and Coe's impressive comeback in the 1500m (more on that, when it comes up).

Uh oh, I had Ovett too, that makes three of us ( think we're still in the two vote category?)

I grew up with their rivalry, and Ovett was the one I preferred. Partly as I had met him at a track meet in Brighton, but also he seemed to have fun running. I don't think anyone expected him to win the 800m, so that a really exciting. At the same time I don't think anyone expected him to lose the 1500m. So I also had Coe's win at the 1500 in my list. I still rate this 1980 version of their rivalry as one of the most anticipated in an Olympic games.

I also had Viren's double, double in my list. 1976 was the time where I first started getting interested in track and field. Those races were packed with amazing athletes so for him to pull it off seemed almost mythical. Even one double was amazing.
Daisy

Postby Flumpy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:16 pm

mump boy wrote:38 points

55th Opening ceremony 2000

This was my #1. The best opening ceremony of all time, topped off with a torch relay that will never be topped (Certainly not by London's debacle).

The minute Sydney was announced as the Olympic host I'd planning this in my head and there it was in front of me, almost exactly as I would had been done it.

Raelene Boyle to Betty Cuthbert to Dawn Fraser to Shirley Strickland to Shane Gould to Debbie Flintoff King to Cathy.

It makes me cry right from the very beginning........"Ladies and Gentlemen. Celebrating 100 years of women's participation in The Olympic Games, the Olympic flame carried by Betty Cuthbert and Raelene Boyle"

Just watching again now and weeping. :cry:

That's how you light an Olympic flame :mrgreen:
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:39 pm

Another one that only me and Flumpy voted for

Not only all of the above but Marjorie Jackson carried the Olympic flag.

And then Cathy appears to light flame and the gets stuck half way up and shudders to a halt. Thankfully it started again and let to the 2nd best Olympics ever :P
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Has my #3 gone yet?

It would seem odd if it had more then 2 votes :?
Flumpy

Postby TN1965 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:01 pm

mump boy wrote:21 points

66th

Allyson Felix 200m 12
Abebe Bikila Marathon victory 64

61st

These three should be mine.

Allyson's 200m would have been higher if not for the magnificent run at the Trial. After that, the Olympic final was a bit anti-climactic. It was still a great win after the near miss in 2008. I assume another "Allyson moment" I picked will appear later. :)

I was not born when Bikila won his second gold. But I have seen that over and over on old film clip so I feel as if I had actually seen it on TV. The way he totally dismantled the entire field, and made it look easy was surreal.

I think the Viren race I picked was 10000m in Munich. The fact he fell during the race and still broke the WR is unbelievable, especially compared to all the "sit and kick" races so common in Olympics and Worlds these days.
TN1965

Postby HopStepJump » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:11 pm

Ok, I have a bit of catching up tp do:

13 points
83rd
MLJ Pedroso v Taurima 00

I remember this as much for what happened before the event as the event itself. Tucked in the recesses of my brain before writing this post was that Taurima had said something racially insensitive that pissed off the U.S. long jumpers well before the actual competition. In researching this to refresh my memory for this post, the quote was even worse that I remembered:

"You can pretty much knock off all the dark athletes. We jumped in Salamanca, Spain, a month ago, and those guys just couldn't compete well in bad conditions. It was wet and cold."

I had never heard of Jai Taurima, but I decided after reading about it in the Australian papers that he was a massive prick. I had a ticket for the night of the final. With the home crowd behind him in that monster stadium, Taurima was the perfect scoundrel for me to root against. As it turned out, he jumped out of his skin that night. The drama of the back and forth between Pedroso and him really got the crowd involved, and it was definitely one of the best field events I've ever watched in person. The crowd was absolutely roaring each time Taurima jumped, especially when he took the 5th round lead. Satisfactorily, Pedroso got him in the last round to vanquish his light-skinned opponent and render the quote even more absurd. I read the next day that Taurima went to the pub in the Olympic park that night and celebrated in throwback fashion with his medal among the fans and was even seen to be smoking a cigarette or two. I viewed him less harshly after reading that. It would've still been a great competition without the controversy, but it definitely factored into why this was one of my favorite moments.
HopStepJump

Postby HopStepJump » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:41 pm

16 points

77th
Xiang Liu 2004 win and WR 04

I'm surprised this only received two votes. I remember watching the 2003 Worlds final and I knew Liu Xiang was good, but the race he pulled off in the final was totally unexpected. I think he was pretty damn near perfection on that night. A truly remarkable performance.
HopStepJump

Postby Fortius19 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:53 pm

HopStepJump wrote:16 points

77th
Xiang Liu 2004 win and WR 04

I'm surprised this only received two votes.

Eight points of that is mine, so two people had Liu down for lucky 13.

I just love, love, love watching Liu hurdle. I've watched slow-mo replay of him over and over. There is some great footage of him from multiple angles on some Chinese website I lost the link to. As excited as I was for him to win in Athens, I just knew it would be super special when he won four years later in China!

I was really hoping to see (all in shape): DO, Liu and Robles go at it in 2010.
Then last year, I wanted to see: Merritt, Liu and Robles compete in the London final, again, all in good shape to run fast. Oh well.

It would be great to see him run fast again, (he ran 7.49 and 12.87w just last year!), but that would be a lot to ask with his injuries and age.
Fortius19

Postby bobguild76 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:01 pm

62nd
Ulf Timmerman mSP 88

61st
27 points

These are mine.

The Timmerman / Barnes last round was beyond amazing. Barnes with the most magnificent clutch put in history ... an OR to put him in front of archrival Timmerman. Only to be followed by Timmerman's most magnificent clutch put in history with a still standing OR.

Not actually sure about Viren's double-double. I listed his Munich 10k, when distance running truly entered the modern age. The best of the best at their peaks. Viren, Gammoudi, Puttemans, Yifter the Shifter, Haro, Shorter, Bedford. Opening lap in 60 sec?! You gotta be kidding! A shocking fall, taking out the defending Champion, but Viren gets back up. A sub-2:30 last K & WR. Wow!!!
bobguild76

Postby Olli » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:56 pm

bobguild76 wrote:
Not actually sure about Viren's double-double. I listed his Munich 10k, when distance running truly entered the modern age. The best of the best at their peaks. Viren, Gammoudi, Puttemans, Yifter the Shifter, Haro, Shorter, Bedford. Opening lap in 60 sec?! You gotta be kidding! A shocking fall, taking out the defending Champion, but Viren gets back up. A sub-2:30 last K & WR. Wow!!!

I believe the Munich 10km will reappear here later, but, to be precise, Gammoudi was the defending champion in 5km.
Olli

Postby Tuariki » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:56 am

HopStepJump wrote:13 points
83rd
MLJ Pedroso v Taurima 00

I remember this as much for what happened before the event as the event itself. Tucked in the recesses of my brain before writing this post was that Taurima had said something racially insensitive that pissed off the U.S. long jumpers well before the actual competition. In researching this to refresh my memory for this post, the quote was even worse that I remembered:

"You can pretty much knock off all the dark athletes. We jumped in Salamanca, Spain, a month ago, and those guys just couldn't compete well in bad conditions. It was wet and cold."

I had never heard of Jai Taurima, but I decided after reading about it in the Australian papers that he was a massive prick.

And especially unfortunate comments from someone who although born in Australia is a New Zealand Maori of the Ngati Kahungungu tribe.
Tuariki

Postby mump boy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 am

bobguild76 wrote:

62nd
Ulf Timmerman mSP 88

61st
27 points

Not actually sure about Viren's double-double. I listed his Munich 10k,

This entry is specific to '76, 72 might appear later :P
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:55 am

Daisy wrote:I had Ovett too, that makes three of us ( think we're still in the two vote category?)

Deleted Mr Ovett will be back later :D
mump boy

Postby bobguild76 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:30 am

Olli wrote:
bobguild76 wrote:

I believe the Munich 10km will reappear here later, but, to be precise, Gammoudi was the defending champion in 5km.

Ugh! My apologies to Naftali Temu. Crossed memory cells in my brain. :D
bobguild76

Postby HopStepJump » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:25 pm

21 points

65th

Allyson Felix 200m 12
Mac Wilkins Discus win 76

I voted for both of these. My vote for Felix was for finally accomplishing the one thing that had been eluding her. I can only imagine how the media would view her if she hadn't won. Her victory wasn't terribly suspenseful, but it still was very satisfying to see her cross the line in first with that great smile of hers. It also didn't hurt that it was part of the best American night of the London game,s and I was sitting with some pretty knowledgeable fans that night (which wasn't always the case the other nights).

Wilkins was a very memorable moment for me. I was 14 at the time and I knew he was one of the top American hopes going into Montreal. I remember being so excited for the games to begin and running out to check the mail every day to see if my Olympic preview issue from Sports Illustrated had arrived. In the prelims, in remember watching with my Dad as this burly guy unleashed a massive throw and my Dad laughing at how ridiculously long it was. In the final. I remember that ABC gave it some decent coverage, and I remember the hug for Schmidt when he moved up to silver in the last round. There was a little bit of controversy at the time since Schmidt hailed from beyond the Iron Curtain.
HopStepJump

Postby HopStepJump » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:53 pm

23 points

64th

Stacey Dragila PV win 2000

This was my number 2. The pole vault final took place right in front of where I was sitting and it ended up being a dramatic competition with Grigorieva giving the Aussies a lot to cheer about. At one point Stacy had to make a clutch third attempt along the way to stay in the gold hunt, and I remember being really nervous before that particular vault and exuberant after she made it. In the end Stacy cleared the next couple of heights to win, and the Aussie fans helped Grigorieva get a PB on the way to the silver. The crowd involvement at the later heights make the competition tense and unforgettable, and it wasn't decided until a final Grigorieva miss. Man, I love reminiscing about this stuff!! :D
HopStepJump

Postby John G » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:20 am

nevetsllim wrote:Mump - Sonia vs. Szabo (one of mine) was included in the one-vote list or is this a revised result?

I had this one as well. Sometimes, 5000m can seem a very long way - and it did that night for Sonia. She was really struggling at times and IIRC was even dropped from the leading group on one occasion. You could see her physically grow in confidence however as it entered 'her territory' with a couple of laps to go and in the end she was oh, so near.

Incidentally, her autobiography is the best I've read by a runner in quite some time.
John G

Postby Olli » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:13 pm

HopStepJump wrote:21 points

Wilkins was a very memorable moment for me. I was 14 at the time and I knew he was one of the top American hopes going into Montreal. I remember being so excited for the games to begin and running out to check the mail every day to see if my Olympic preview issue from Sports Illustrated had arrived. In the prelims, in remember watching with my Dad as this burly guy unleashed a massive throw and my Dad laughing at how ridiculously long it was. In the final. I remember that ABC gave it some decent coverage, and I remember the hug for Schmidt when he moved up to silver in the last round. There was a little bit of controversy at the time since Schmidt hailed from beyond the Iron Curtain.

I also remember the Montreal discuss throw quite well. I was 12 and very exited about t&f (as were many if not most Finnish kids in those days). Unfortunately, many of the Montreal competitions occurred at what was night in our timezone, and my parents often told me to go to bed before the competitions were over. I remember my dad listening to the radio (there was no TV in our summer house) with a very low volume and my lying on my bed trying to catch some words from the discuss throw commentary. That the commentators did not raise their voices too much made me guess Pentti Kahma (European Champion 1974) failed to medal.

Schmidt passed, I think, Wilkins's fellow American, John Powell. Wasn't that the reason for the controversy?
Olli

Postby mump boy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:00 am

3 Votes

54th

Decker v Budd 84 7 points

53rd

Paul Erneg 800m '88 8 points

52nd

w HJ Tia v Blanka '08 15 point

51st

Kip Keino 1500m 68 21 points

50th

W100mh 08 (Sally interview) 24 points

49th

Heike Dreschler LJ 2000 31 points

46th

Irena Szewinska 400m 76 32 points
GBR M4x100m 04 32 points
Linford Christie 100m 92 32 points
Last edited by mump boy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby Olli » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:59 am

mump boy wrote:3 Votes

46th

Irena Szewinska 400m 72 32 points

Shouldn't that be 76?
Olli

Postby mump boy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:08 am

Olli wrote:

46th

Irena Szewinska 400m 72 32 points

Shouldn't that be 76?

Done
mump boy

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:29 am

Kip Keino 1500m 68 21 points

50th

I was too young at the time to remember this even if I did see it, and I know I would have been rooting for Ryun as an American distance running fan. But, from a historical perspective, this has to be very important. From what I have read, this inspired Kenya athletics and may be one of the key events that have taken the sport to where it is today with East African participation.
odelltrclan

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results. 3 Votes

Postby Olli » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:34 am

I also am too young to have experienced Keino's win in real time, but voted for him since his performance was impressive indeed, given the troubles with his health and even with getting to the stadium. Of course, Ryun suffered from the altitude, but watching that race makes me think that Keino definitely deserved the victory. It was his great day.
Olli

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results. 3 Votes

Postby Olli » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:46 am

Szewinska's 400m in 1976, which I did witness real-time, was also sheer superiority. The WR improved quite a lot, more than half a second, I think. And this performance crowned her excellent career.

By the way, there was another thread about the decline of Finnish t&f and it might be recalled that there was a time in which Finnish women were also quite competitive in short distances. If I recall correctly, Pirjo Häggman lost the bronze with just a hundredth of a second. But while I may have focused on the bronze battle at the time, from a wider perspective it was of course eclipsed by Szewinska's supremacy.
Olli

PreviousNext