ok, so maybe you shouldn't trust Wiki

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

ok, so maybe you shouldn't trust Wiki

Postby gh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:20 pm

gh

Re: ok, so maybe you shouldn't trust Wiki

Postby Marlow » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Tip of the iceberg . . .
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:49 pm

How do we know this isn't a hoax about the hoax?
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Pego » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:54 pm

I never understood how can a small group of editors police such a massive body of information.
Pego

Postby lonewolf » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:36 pm

I can tesitify that Wiki is subject to anonymous malicious entries. The article for one of my authors, an Iranian expatriate, was augmented by scurrilous false allegations presented as fact.
Even though if finally took a strongly worded letter from an attorney to force Wiki to remove the offending material, one of our regular posters was instrumental in helping remove the offending entry, for which the author and I are grateful.
lonewolf

Postby jhc68 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Wiki is useful and accessible and mostly right but since it is the product of computer nerds it is inherently flawed.
Proof positive is that I have amended Wiki articles several times and I clearly don't know what the hell I'm talking about...
jhc68

Postby Flumpy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:59 pm

But surely the beauty of Wikipedia is that anyone can edit it. If you see something is incorrect you can go in and change it yourself.

I've done this on numerous occasions myself, usually by adding 'and convicted drug cheat' after someone's profession :lol:
Flumpy

Postby Dutra5 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:43 pm

A few years ago a few members of a message board dedicated to an American Football team messed with the local sports call in shock jock who had gotten into some trouble and continuously revamped his wiki page. He must have had his "people" on it because everytime one of us would alter the page, it would be changed back within a few minutes.
Dutra5

Postby bambam » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:51 pm

lonewolf wrote:I can tesitify that Wiki is subject to anonymous malicious entries. The article for one of my authors, an Iranian expatriate, was augmented by scurrilous false allegations presented as fact.
Even though if finally took a strongly worded letter from an attorney to force Wiki to remove the offending material, one of our regular posters was instrumental in helping remove the offending entry, for which the author and I are grateful.

What do you mean by "one of my authors" - lonewolf?
bambam

Postby Marlow » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:25 pm

Flumpy wrote:But surely the beauty of Wikipedia is that anyone can edit it. If you see something is incorrect you can go in and change it yourself.

Or . . . surely the problem of Wikipedia is that anyone can edit it. If you see something is correct, you can go in and add BS yourself.
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:00 pm

bambam wrote:[What do you mean by "one of my authors" - lonewolf?

One of my sidelines is a publishing company, still incorporated but now largely dormant, that was active twenty years ago. Made some serious money, pissed it off renovating an oil refinery that could not economically cure impossible/irrelevant/unnecessary EPA restrictions.

It will make an interesting case study/chapter in the book I will never get around to writing. As will the publishing fling, which was a lot more fun.
lonewolf