Need good directions on how to make a grass track

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Need good directions on how to make a grass track

Postby athleticshushmail » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:55 pm

I would like to make a grass track. Does anyone have a link to good directions on how to do so. It would have two lanes and be either a two hundred or four hundred meter track. I think I know how to do it, the only problem for me is where to mark the starting lines for the 200m and 400m races. Thanks!
athleticshushmail

Re: Need good directions on how to make a grass track

Postby harris.margaret9 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:37 am

I know Plexipave has a good section on their site about track maintenance. They specialize in sport court installation. That should help, best of luck!
harris.margaret9

Postby Tuariki » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:47 pm

First you need a field, preferably flat, with grass on it. Mind you a sloping field can help with getting good sprint times if the race is run in the right direction.
Tuariki

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:32 am

It really isn't that technical. 2 semi circles connected by 2 straights. You can do a 200 or a 400 track with any combination to fit the spot. What are the dimensions of the area it is to go into?
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby athleticshushmail » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:42 am

Conor Dary wrote:It really isn't that technical. 2 semi circles connected by 2 straights. You can do a 200 or a 400 track with any combination to fit the spot. What are the dimensions of the area it is to go into?

It's in the outfield of an unmaintained baseball field that connects to a soccer field. I definitely have space for at least a 200m track. I think I'm good with the track. I just wasn't sure with the markings for the 200 and 400m start lines. I think I have it now, but any tips would be welcome, thanks!
athleticshushmail

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:53 am

athleticshushmail wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:It really isn't that technical. 2 semi circles connected by 2 straights. You can do a 200 or a 400 track with any combination to fit the spot. What are the dimensions of the area it is to go into?

It's in the outfield of an unmaintained baseball field that connects to a soccer field. I definitely have space for at least a 200m track. I think I'm good with the track. I just wasn't sure with the markings for the 200 and 400m start lines. I think I have it now, but any tips would be welcome, thanks!

You have 2 lanes? On a 200 track the lane 2 two turn stagger is ≈ 2 x (width of lane) x π. Or about 6.2 meters, with a 1 meter width lane, from the start.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.