T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results 2 Vote

Postby Atanvarno » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:39 pm

2 points
Noah Ngeny 1500m 2000

One of mine. You had to count Noah as a serious contender after the mile race in Rome, where he gave Hicham a run for his money. But still Hicham was the overwhelming favorite and so it came as a real shock to see Noah go by him in the straight.
Last edited by Atanvarno on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atanvarno

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results 1 Vote

Postby Atanvarno » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:57 pm

20 Points
Dieter Baumann wins 5k 92

Try to find a youtube video with the german commentary by Dieter Adler - he conveys the incredible excitement of the moment perfectly.

Those last 200m made me jump up and down on my chair and screaming my lungs out at the TV. Mainly I was screaming at Baumann to go round pack instead of waiting at the back. But what do I know. He kept his cool and waited for the opening on the inside (in interviews after the race he said, he knew from experience, that there would always open a gap at the beginning of the final straight).
And then those final 100m (reported to be run in 11.3 seconds) - watching that was pure joy for a young boy of 16 who had just started competitive running.
Last edited by Atanvarno on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atanvarno

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:35 am

gh wrote:
mump boy wrote:
Daisy wrote:
mump boy wrote:Paul Ereng 800m 88

I voted for this one. I love watching this race. Ereng paces it perfectly and weaves through the field while the rest drop off the pace one by one.

Me too

Consumate 800m race and some of the worst US commentary of all time :?

I have no choice but to give Charlie Jones a pass on that one; as they came off the curve, I turned to my seatmate and said, "Look at the way Kiprotich is moving!"

But that doesn't excuse confusing Johnnie Gray with Kiprotich at the beginning, suggesting that Barbosa 'sacrificed' himself for Cruz and not recognising Paul Ereng will he was half way round his victory lap :?

Anyway back to Ereng the most beautiful runner ever. There are certain Kenyan runners (Ereng, Kipketer, Kiprop) who's running style isn't human. It's like they float on air and it's a wonder to behold :D
mump boy

Postby HopStepJump » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:41 am

3 points

Jan Zelezny JT 2000

Zelzny was my one-pointer. One of the greats getting it done yet again on the big day. What a career.
HopStepJump

Postby nevetsllim » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:14 am

Daisy wrote:

I voted for this one. I love watching this race. Ereng paces it perfectly and weaves through the field while the rest drop off the pace one by one.

Me too. Are you sure it just got two votes, Mump? Granted it was just 19th in my list.

I read about it first in Wallechinsky's Olympic encyclopedia and it sounded like a scintillating race with how he described Kiprotich bolting through 200m in 23.0 (!) and Ereng yelling at him to slow down!

The 800m is by far my favourite track event (have a few more 800m races in my top-20) because of the diversity of tactics between the renowned front-runners (Kiprotich, Barbosa, Gray) and those who like to run even paced (Ereng).
nevetsllim

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:16 am

nevetsllim wrote:
Daisy wrote:

Me too. Are you sure it just got two votes, Mump? Granted it was just 19th in my list.

Eek :?
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:19 am

Ok seems i didn't count my own vote :?

Please talk amongst yourselves while Mr e`rent makes a quick exit. He will be back later :D
mump boy

Postby bobguild76 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:27 am

mump boy wrote:Anyway back to Ereng the most beautiful runner ever. There are certain Kenyan runners (Ereng, Kipketer, Kiprop) who's running style isn't human. It's like they float on air and it's a wonder to behold :D

And I would add Lasse Viren & Frank Shorter to that list. Especially at the end of those Olympic races, when Viren remained smooth as silk while refusing to let anyone pass him.
bobguild76

Postby Pego » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:36 am

bobguild76 wrote:
mump boy wrote:Anyway back to Ereng the most beautiful runner ever. There are certain Kenyan runners (Ereng, Kipketer, Kiprop) who's running style isn't human. It's like they float on air and it's a wonder to behold :D

And I would add Lasse Viren & Frank Shorter to that list. Especially at the end of those Olympic races, when Viren remained smooth as silk while refusing to let anyone pass him.

I had Viren passing the two Kiwis in 5K Montreal as an option, but finally chose the other twenty above it.
Pego

Postby Flumpy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:37 am

Noooo. It's a long legged East African thing.
Flumpy

Postby nevetsllim » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:55 am

mump boy wrote:Ok seems i didn't count my own vote :?

Please talk amongst yourselves while Mr e`rent makes a quick exit. He will be back later :D

But more importantly, you did send me the right DVDs. :P
nevetsllim

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:19 am

nevetsllim wrote:
mump boy wrote:Ok seems i didn't count my own vote

But more importantly, you did send me the right DVDs. :P

Phew :shock: they've been sitting on my desk for 6 months so i'm very happy !!
Last edited by mump boy on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:20 am

Flumpy wrote:Noooo. It's a long legged East African thing.

Flumps right i've never seen anyone who wasn't KEN do it
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:24 am

Because a close relative of mine is incapable of submitting his choices correctly i've had to deduct 1 point from 2 entries

they are now

1 Vote
5 Points
HUN cheats 04

Maybe Flump could explain

and

2 votes
10 points

w Marathon 92 Arimori, Arimori, Arimori

this would have been posted with the first round of 2 point votes

Me and Flump were the only ones to vote for this, it's obviously a family thing (there are more to come) i'll be back to explain later
mump boy

Postby Olli » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:58 am

Pego wrote:
I had Viren passing the two Kiwis in 5K Montreal as an option, but finally chose the other twenty above it.

Actually, Viren did not have to pass the Kiwis; they just failed to pass him (Quax perhaps spending too much energy in going round other racers). But I happen to know we have the opportunity to return to this soon.
Olli

Postby Flumpy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:21 pm

mump boy wrote:1 Vote
5 Points
HUN cheats 04

As some of you will know, there are few things in T&F I love more than a dirty drug cheat getting rumbled. In this instance we got 2 in 1 go and a drug scandal of immense tawdriness.

After Hungarian throwers Robert Zazekas and Adrian Annus won gold medals they were promptly disqualifiedto. Fazekas for failing to provide a proper sample and Annus providing a sample that came from 2 different people.

Hilariously they then fled the village and drove back to Hungary whilst the IOC demanded they return and the media followed every move. Fazekas then insisted that he has no idea he was being recalled which was odd because I did. He later said that he was deeply religious and had trouble problem providing a sample whilst being watched :roll:

They both got banned for 2 years.

We later learnt that Annus had been using a fake penis and last year Fazekas got banned for life :mrgreen:

mump boy wrote:2 votes
10 points

It's bad enough to have to run a marathon in the boiling heat aother thing entirely to have to run the last 2 miles up a bloody mountain!!! :shock:

It was a a race to the end with Yegorova eventually beating Arimori by only 6 seconds but I'll never forget the hoards of Japanese fans pushing their heroine up the tortuous hill.

'ARIMORI!!! ARIMORI!!' they chanted all the way and she very nearly made it.

Went to the Euros in 2010 but got the train up the hill every day. It was hard enough work getting down!!!
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:34 pm

2 votes
10 points

At the european championships in Barcelona '10 we booked a hotel right the bottom of Monjouic the hill that lead to stadium. I thought i was really clever to book so close and we could have a nice little walk up to the stadium each morning

HOW WRONG I WAS

The hill goes on for miles and miles or relentless gradient We got the cable car everyday

I tell you this because the final few miles of the 92 Olympic marathon where run up this hill and led to 2 of the finest championship marathons i have ever seen.

At the '90 european championships Rosa Mota built up a considerable lead only to be caught by Valentin Yegorova at a late stage. As Yegorova approached, Rosa gave a quizzical look put her foot down and ran away to win by 5 sec.

Come 92 I don't remember Yegorova being a favourite and i don't think i'd ever heard of Arimori but the closing miles up that relentless hill in over 80 degree heat was a titanic battle between these two. Each one of them surged but neither of them broke and with the exertion etched on both their faces, we ran every step with them, but my abiding memory is the Japanese fans who seemed to be around every corner chanting 'Arimori, Arimori, Arimori' it must have given her so much strength and resolve. Unfortunately it wasn't enough as 300m from the stadium Yegorova made one last push and Arimori couldn't go with it, Yegorova won by 8 seconds behind.

I could watch that titanic battle all day, it is everything i love about athletics and marathons especially. I have friends who think watching a marathon is boring !! but they're the crazy ones obviously

4 years later both runners ran over 4 minutes quicker on Atlanta and finished in the same order but they both beaten by Fatuma Roba.

I can't find it on youtube but if anyone can explain to me how to upload something i have on VHS (i can copy to DVD) i'll happily do so
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:36 pm

Good God you'd think we were twins or something :shock:
mump boy

Postby nevetsllim » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:01 pm

Yeah, I don't think you get a true idea of just how steep the hill up to the Montjuic Stadium is until you've been to Barcelona! It's a good job they finished the marathons at the European Champs in 2010 right in the centre as it would have been carnage seeing as they ran them right in the middle of the day which was a dumb scheduling choice if there ever was one.
nevetsllim

Postby mump boy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:49 am

Guess what, i made a mistake :shock:

92 Womens Marathon hasn't got 10 points it's got 12 !!

i got confused with another 92 event that is also personal to the Ump brothers

2 votes
10 points
Phillis Smith and Arthur Caggett 400m 1992

top marks to anyone who can explain this one :D
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:15 am

HA!!!

These days Sanya and that journeyman whose name I can't remember would be taking to Twitter to defend her :lol:
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:26 am

Flumpy wrote:HA!!!

These days Sanya and that journeyman whose name I can't remember would be taking to Twitter to defend her :lol:

And its that contrast to today's spoiled divas, that makes the adorable Mrs Smith one of my olympic heroines
mump boy

Postby tandfman » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:14 am

nevetsllim wrote:Yeah, I don't think you get a true idea of just how steep the hill up to the Montjuic Stadium is until you've been to Barcelona!

IIRC, during the 1992 Olympics, they ran shuttle busses from the plaza at the bottom of that hill up to the top. I guess they didn't do that at the Euros.
tandfman

Postby gh » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:12 am

Shuttle busses from the Placa de Espanya in '92? Maybe if you were credentialed.

All I remember is a walk of 30-45 minutes up a very steep incline in very hot weather. There were escalators in place in a few spots, but they were hard to get onto, so we walked every day.

Good news was that about halfway up the trudge there was a cerveza stand and we'd grab a couple of glasses each and polish those off on the rest of the ascent.
gh

Postby mump boy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:38 am

Come on people doesn't anyone remember Phillis Smith's pre twitter brush with IOC's anti advertising ban ??
mump boy

Postby drdan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:41 pm

mump boy wrote:Come on people doesn't anyone remember Phillis Smith's pre twitter brush with IOC's anti advertising ban ??

I remember! Wasn't it her local butcher, who'd being giving her free meat, whose name she wrote on the top of her bib?

(btw: gutted to have missed the entirety of this whole thread: suppose is too late to submit my list now?)
drdan

Postby Flumpy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:03 pm

YES!!!

Her local butcher used to give her free meat as he knew she was training for the Olympics.

As a tribute in the rounds of the 400m she wrote...

'Arthur Caggett - Master Butcher' on her bib.

She nearly got disqualified for breaking advertising rules :roll:

If only she'd known what a trailblazer she'd become. :lol:
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:24 am

drdan wrote:
mump boy wrote:Come on people doesn't anyone remember Phillis Smith's pre twitter brush with IOC's anti advertising ban ??

I remember! Wasn't it her local butcher, who'd being giving her free meat, whose name she wrote on the top of her bib?

(btw: gutted to have missed the entirety of this whole thread: suppose is too late to submit my list now?)

We have a winner :D

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym ... 38732.html

75 - The family butcher
Barcelona 1992
Britain’s Phylis Smith won bronze in the 4x400m relay in Barcelona, but her achievement was overshadowed by Wolverhampton family butcher Arthur Cackett. Flouting strict IOC rules against advertising, Smith found herself in hot water after emblazoning the legend “Hello, Arthur Cackett” on her running bib. British officials and the IOC were incandescent with rage, but it was the least Arthur Cackett deserved for all the support he’d shown Smith. “I think we gave her a nice bit of sirloin and a couple of turkey drumsticks,” he chuckled.

Read more at http://www.sport-magazine.co.uk/feature ... YCyOqTt.99

I'm going to find some pictures
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:46 am

I didn't make the 'Master Butcher' but up did I?

She definitely wrote that :?
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:28 am

Flumpy wrote:I didn't make the 'Master Butcher' but up did I?

She definitely wrote that :?

Deffo, i'm going to have to watch all my Barcelona videos now just to find it :-)
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Now i've added everything up i can allocate places as well

2 Votes

11 points

89th
Hassiba Boulmerka 1500m win 92

12 points

87th
Sanya 400m Win 12
Arimori Arimori Arimori 92

13 points

83rd
MLJ Pedroso v Taurima 00
Bob Hayes 4x100m leg 64
Bob Hayes 100m 64

14 points

82nd Mens TJ 96 Kenny Winning/Jonathan Edwards foul

15 points

81st Alan Wells 100m win 80

16 points

77th
Xiang Liu 2004 win and WR 04
Kenteris and Thanou drug bust 04
Cruz 800m 84
Gaby v Sonia 2000

17 points

76th W 4x400m 96

18 points

75th Miruts Yifter double 80

19 points

72nd
Kazankina w800m 76
John Walker 1500m 76
John Aki Bua 400mh 72

20 points

70th
Ben Johnson DQ 88
w100m '92
mump boy

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results. More 2 Votes

Postby Rog » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:37 am

Allan Wells 1980 was one of mine. It was my first Olympics, I was a kid, I loved the sprints and he was the first British medal hope competing for a medal. All very exciting! I had thought he had a good chance of victory, but it was a close race and he was in lane 8, with the Cuban Leonard in lane 1, and as they crossed the line it was hard to tell who had won. Eventually Allan started celebrating and then they announced he was the winner. It had all been incredibly tense, and from my point of view there was a good outcome. Then there was footage of his wife yelling "Come on Allan! Come on Allan!" to watch, which at the time seemed hilarious, but later I saw the film "Allan Wells - No Easy Way" which showed Allan and Margot preparing for, and competing in, Moscow and I gained some insight into how hard they had worked for Allan's success.

Allan said later that the wind was swirling more in the outer lanes in the home straight, making conditions more difficult than in the inside lanes. I wondered whether he was placed in lane 8, and Leonard in lane 1 away from the winds, to try to assist a Communist victory (there wasn't a serious Soviet hope for gold). I know Marlies Gohr was put in lane 8 for the women's race. I suspect those lane draws may have been deliberate to try to rig the desired Soviet/Communist outcome.
Rog

Postby Daisy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:05 am

mump boy wrote: 2 Votes

15 points 81st
Alan Wells 100m win 80
16 points 77th
Cruz 800m 84
19 points 72nd
John Aki Bua 400mh 72
20 points 70th
Ben Johnson DQ 88

These are all mine. Rog's description of Wells is great, it parallels my experience. I also used to train at Meadowbank, and it was interesting to hear the stories of Wells, especially his passion for the speedball. Another of his innovations was wearing cycling shorts to protect his legs against the cold. In retrospect, that was beginning of a billion dollar sports industry with all the lycra tights that followed.

Cruz was amazing, to see him dominate Coe was a real surprise, before that he had not really been on my radar.

Although I never witnessed Aki Bua's win I always admired him. To break the world record from lane 1 was incredible. He was one of the first stars that got me interested in athletics.

Johnson's inclusion is bitter sweet. I remember getting up in the middle of the night and his performance was jaw dropping. Accentuated by the look on Lewis' face at the end of the race. It was one of the most memorable races and the DQ can never erase that. If anything the DQ makes the race even more memorable as the whole roller coaster ride would have been ridiculed as a fictional script.
Daisy

Postby mump boy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:48 am

11 points

89th
Hassiba Boulmerka 1500m win 92

This is me, it's just an awesome race. Boulmerka won the world champs in 91 but wasn't necessarily the favourite going into the Olympics. Back there weren't any female distance runners (or any distance) who were muslim or from North Africa so i was routing for her but Doina Melinte was was my favourite for old times sake.

Rogachova went out a a blistering pace, first 400m in 60.66 !! surely she wouldn't keep it up. but she did with 64 2nd lap which had the field in single file. At the bell in 2.54 Rogachove led from Boulmerka with Melinte at the back of the field. With 200m to go the inevitable happened and Boulmerka unleashed her devastating kick, cut to Melinte who has stepped off the track shacking her head as if to say 'no more'. It was symbolic of the changing of the guard in women's middle distance. It would be the last we would see of her at the top level, the same with Samelenko (who came 4th) and the first time we'd see the CHN runners with Qu coming 3rd and giving us a taste of things to come

Boulmerka finished in in 3.55.31 the 4th fastest of all time, screaming with delight and pointing at her number and shouting Algerie, she's done it for her country and muslim women who want to take part in sport

MAZE as the kids say :D
mump boy

Postby nevetsllim » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:00 pm

Mump - Sonia vs. Szabo (one of mine) was included in the one-vote list or is this a revised result?

I voted for Kazankina's 800m victory from the 1976 Olympics. I mean, how often do you get a world record set in a competitive race? The first four athletes ducked under Valentina Gerassimova's WR of 1:56.0. Incidentally, Gerassimova was tamely eliminated in the SF so it seems Russians, (or Soviets in this case), underperforming in the 800m isn't a recent trend.

The race is on youtube for anyone who hasn't seen it. I like how the first 300m was run in lanes (I believe 1976 was the last time) as it eliminates the chances of a tactical race and Svetlana Styrkina led through 400m in 55.05 from memory. They were still in a bunch off the final bend but Kazankina blazed through from fifth to first in the final 70m to pinch the title. There was an almighty scrap for the minor medals with Anita Weiss, who led with about 50m to go, just missing out.

We all know what happened to Kazankina but silver medallist Nikolina Shtereva went on to have a long career, albeit not at the same level, although she even competed internationally until 1989 at the European Cup. IIRC, Styrkina is still one of the Russian 800m coaches.

I also voted for Yifter's 1980 Olympic double. I have the races on video and I was taken aback by his acceleration and how light on his feet he was. I'm not saying he would have beaten peak Bekele but it would have been interesting to see how he would fared against the recent crop of the past 10-15y.
nevetsllim

Postby mump boy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:26 pm

nevetsllim wrote:Mump - Sonia vs. Szabo (one of mine) was included in the one-vote list or is this a revised result?

I voted for Kazankina's 800m victory from the 1976 Olympics. I mean, how often do you get a world record set in a competitive race? The first four athletes ducked under Valentina Gerassimova's WR of 1:56.0. Incidentally, Gerassimova was tamely eliminated in the SF so it seems Russians, (or Soviets in this case), underperforming in the 800m isn't a recent trend.

The race is on youtube for anyone who hasn't seen it. I like how the first 300m was run in lanes (I believe 1976 was the last time) as it eliminates the chances of a tactical race and Svetlana Styrkina led through 400m in 55.05 from memory. They were still in a bunch off the final bend but Kazankina blazed through from fifth to first in the final 70m to pinch the title. There was an almighty scrap for the minor medals with Anita Weiss, who led with about 50m to go, just missing out.

We all know what happened to Kazankina but silver medallist Nikolina Shtereva went on to have a long career, albeit not at the same level, although she even competed internationally until 1989 at the European Cup. IIRC, Styrkina is still one of the Russian 800m coaches.

I also voted for Yifter's 1980 Olympic double. I have the races on video and I was taken aback by his acceleration and how light on his feet he was. I'm not saying he would have beaten peak Bekele but it would have been interesting to see how he would fared against the recent crop of the past 10-15y.

Deffo 2 votes, i'll delete from 1 vote list

Goes off to watch '76 800m :D
mump boy

Postby donley2 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Daisy wrote:
mump boy wrote: 2 Votes

16 points 77th
Cruz 800m 84
20 points 70th
Ben Johnson DQ 88

I had these two (some overlap with Daisy I see). I loved Cruz's four rounds of front running. Ovett was not at full strength and I believe got stuck in Cruz's heat every single round by bad luck and just totally ran out of gas by the end.

In Ben Johnsons case it was really a "least favorite" as I was a huge Carl Lewis fan. I had traveled to Rome the year before and saw Ben dominate the race in person. I knew Carl had to get a start that was at least competitive (in the neighborhood) with Ben to have a chance. When I saw Ben's start I knew the race was over after about two seconds. I think I threw a pillow at the television.

Mump I think a m4x400 from 04 may have been lost
donley2

Postby gh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:25 pm

nevetsllim wrote:....
I also voted for Yifter's 1980 Olympic double. I have the races on video and I was taken aback by his acceleration...

That's why we called him "Yifter the Shifter" in those days. His gear-change ability was jaw-dropping.
gh

Postby mump boy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:50 am

donley2 wrote:
Mump I think a m4x400 from 04 may have been lost

No, it's back in 1 Vote, 11 points
mump boy

Postby Johnners » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:15 am

[quote="nevetsllim"]Mump - Sonia vs. Szabo (one of mine) was included in the one-vote list or is this a revised result?

quote]

I've just watched it, bizarrely I had not seen it before. What an amazing race. Kazankina was so lithe! It looked like everyone was sprinting from the off. Incredible.
Johnners

PreviousNext