A Very Bad Morning For Lance

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: A Very Bad Morning For Lance

Postby guru » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Armstrong denies doping during his comeback - the biological passport positives in '09 being whole reason he got nailed to the wall.

Who's surprised...
guru

Postby tandfman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Some remarkable admissions, though.
tandfman

Postby guru » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:36 pm

Also denying the damning "Godfather" stuff

Denies '99 Swiss positive coverup. Incredible
guru

Postby HopStepJump » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:00 pm

This is pretty compelling viewing. Oprah isn't tossing softballs.
HopStepJump

Postby guru » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Tweet of the night

https://twitter.com/si_austinmurphy/sta ... 5705782272

Austin Murphy‏@si_austinmurphy

I had this naïve fantasy that he would bare his soul, exhibit contrition, abase himself, vow to make amends. Seems laughable now.
guru

Postby guru » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Joking about his characterizations of Betsy Andreu? Really?

As I said earlier - psychopath
guru

Postby guru » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:53 pm

It just hit me why he's denying the '09 biological passport - he's going to try to deal with USADA to have his 8 year ban retroactive to his last offense - which without the '09 positive is - wait for it - 2005.

What year is this again?
guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:07 pm

tandfman wrote:Some remarkable admissions, though.

I agree with you. His admissions are much more damning than the stuff he denied and he was ten times more candid than Marion Jones. My only problem is that he seems to still be honoring the omerta which meant that he wouldn't talk candidly about other people. I guess I can respect the fact that he doesn't want to rat other people out, but it would have made for a much more compelling interview if he had ratted. And obviously I agree with him when he accused Travis Tygart of hyperbole when he accused U.S. Postal of running the most sophisticated doping program in the history of sports since I gave that title to the East Germans earlier in this thread.
jazzcyclist

Postby gh » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:34 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:....
Athletes being forced to take drugs, the vast majority unaware of what they were being given, from just past puberty, and having no say in the matter, is absoloutely nothing like what was happing here with Armstrong.

It's not comparable from a moral point of view, but that should be irrelevant to the IOC. The bottom line is that the athletes who competed against them were competing on an uneven playing field .....[/quote]

Surely you're not suggesting that the DDR was the only nation doping in that era?!

Or if you're saying they had a better doping system,you're also off the mark. What they had was the world's best talent-ID/coaching/nurturing system, combined with the same drugs that everybody else was taking. (Or, more likely, usually a year or three behind the latest developments that the cunning Westerners were coming up with.)
gh

Postby gh » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:42 pm

ps--one other thing the DDR did have: an accredited IOC lab (Kreischa?), which allowed them to perform the best tests available on their own athletes, outside of official sampling, and know how to fine-tune to the right tolerances. There weren't many accredited labs in those days, as I recall.
gh

Postby Gabriella » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:21 am

gh wrote:Surely you're not suggesting that the DDR was the only nation doping in that era?!

Or if you're saying they had a better doping system,you're also off the mark. What they had was the world's best talent-ID/coaching/nurturing system, combined with the same drugs that everybody else was taking. (Or, more likely, usually a year or three behind the latest developments that the cunning Westerners were coming up with.)

This ^^

gh wrote:ps--one other thing the DDR did have: an accredited IOC lab (Kreischa?), which allowed them to perform the best tests available on their own athletes, outside of official sampling, and know how to fine-tune to the right tolerances. There weren't many accredited labs in those days, as I recall.

and this ^^

By the 80's the GDR were definitely 'old school' in the drugs they were administering and never got onto giving their athletes HGH, unlike athletes the USA. And we know which western athletes were on that stuff in that decade.

Unfortunately, too many blinkered western fans ignore all the above. Bit like when they were in denial over Armstrong.

On Lance, I thought he revealed more than expected but still not enough. I guess it was appropriate for a TV interview and let us hope he co-operates more with WADA now. But I find him even more distasteful than before.
Gabriella

Postby mump boy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:42 am

He may be a smug twat but certain track cheats could do with some of Lance Armstrong's belated, self serving honesty
mump boy

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:09 am

gh wrote:Surely you're not suggesting that the DDR was the only nation doping in that era?!

ps--one other thing the DDR did have: an accredited IOC lab (Kreischa?), which allowed them to perform the best tests available on their own athletes, outside of official sampling, and know how to fine-tune to the right tolerances. There weren't many accredited labs in those days, as I recall.

Okay, besides the USSR, what other nations do you think could have possibly had a better state-run doping program? Did American athletes have access to a better doping regimen, complete with internal testing? Which nations are you talking about? Was Evelyn Ashford playing on a level playing field in the prime of her career?
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:25 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Okay, besides the USSR, what other nations do you think could have possibly had a better state-run doping program? Did American athletes have access to a better doping regimen, complete with internal testing? Which nations are you talking about? Was Evelyn Ashford playing on a level playing field in the prime of her career?

Since this sort of speculation is not permissible here, I'll just say that the evidence suggests that many while the doping was global and deep-seated (esp. in the 80s and 90s), the 'eastern bloc' nations seemed to have a more 'communistic' (systemic) approach, while the 'western bloc' had a more 'free market' (individual/small group) approach. Both are viable approaches and capable of great sophistication.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:27 am

Not that I was sympathetic towards him before, but besides Armstrong, one person that I have no sympathy for in this whole saga is Floyd Landis, while Emma O'Reilly is the most sympathetic figure in this story.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:33 am

Marlow wrote:Since this sort of speculation is not permissible here, I'll just say that the evidence suggests that many while the doping was global and deep-seated (esp. in the 80s and 90s), the 'eastern bloc' nations seemed to have a more 'communistic' (systemic) approach, while the 'western bloc' had a more 'free market' (individual/small group) approach. Both are viable approaches and capable of great sophistication.

Of course individual western athletes made the decision to dope, but do you really believe that individuals can match nation-states in these matters? Nation-states, which have vast resources, have always been able to do things beyond the capability of private companies, such as building the atom bomb and putting man in space, so why to you think that would be any different when it comes to doping?
jazzcyclist

Postby 18.99s » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:45 am

jazzcyclist wrote:My only problem is that he seems to still be honoring the omerta which meant that he wouldn't talk candidly about other people. I guess I can respect the fact that he doesn't want to rat other people out, but it would have made for a much more compelling interview if he had ratted.

He's about to lose most of his net worth. Ratting out people would invite lawsuits, which would be hard to defend against if he no longer has any evidence against them other than his own words.
18.99s

Postby Marlow » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:50 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Of course individual western athletes made the decision to dope, but do you really believe that individuals can match nation-states in these matters?

Yes, in many cases the medical 'advice' was probably top-notch in some western enclaves. The DDR approach seemed 'blunt' in many cases, where More = Better. Figuring out when to give how much was the key and it sure seems like "all the time, a lot" was the primary protocol. I'd guess the Soviet (Russia) science was the best.
Marlow

Postby Gabriella » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:00 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Okay, besides the USSR, what other nations do you think could have possibly had a better state-run doping program? Did American athletes have access to a better doping regimen, complete with internal testing? Which nations are you talking about? Was Evelyn Ashford playing on a level playing field in the prime of her career?

American athletes had better access to a range of drugs. You couldn't pick and choose what to take in the GDR, you were given it (without your consent). In the USA you could get your hands on HGH,for example, and not even worry about failing a test for it as one didn't exist. You could pump your body full of all sorts of things and tailor it accordingly. And some people did and paid the ultimate price for doing so - death.

Was Ashford playing on a level playing field? No, she was one of the lucky ones with access to whatever she chose, if she so wished, I might add.

jazzcyclist wrote:Of course individual western athletes made the decision to dope, but do you really believe that individuals can match nation-states in these matters? Nation-states, which have vast resources, have always been able to do things beyond the capability of private companies, such as building the atom bomb and putting man in space, so why to you think that would be any different when it comes to doping?

The 'endless pot of money' that communist countries had is a myth. And what you fail to realise is the scope of doping in western nations. This was not a communist systems vs individuals & coaches, This was a communist system vs federations. Federations that covered up drugs tests, federations that asked meet international promoters not to test their athletes at international 'friendly' matches, federations that encouraged athletes to take drugs and provided the means to do so. Do not kid yourself that it wasn't so organised.
Gabriella

Postby Pego » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:09 am

This is my view of the Lance Armstrong situation.

1. LA is an overbearing bufoon with little regard for civilized behavior.
2. He won fair and square since he did not do anything that all of his competitors did not. That applies to Le Tour as well as the OG's.
3. Singling out LA as an "example" is a crying shame. IOC in particular. Stripping him of a bronze medal 13 years after the fact while leaving gold and silver medalists, also known dopers intact is a joke.
Pego

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:14 am

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Of course individual western athletes made the decision to dope, but do you really believe that individuals can match nation-states in these matters?

Yes, in many cases the medical 'advice' was probably top-notch in some western enclaves. The DDR approach seemed 'blunt' in many cases, where More = Better. Figuring out when to give how much was the key and it sure seems like "all the time, a lot" was the primary protocol. I'd guess the Soviet (Russia) science was the best.

Are you saying that East Germany was good, but the USSR was better? Maybe you're right, but that's irrelevant to my point which is that the East Germans were good enough not to get caught, and they had more resources able to them than any western individual.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:18 am

Gabriella wrote:Was Ashford playing on a level playing field? No, she was one of the lucky ones with access to whatever she chose, if she so wished, I might add.

Okey dokey. :roll:

Gabriella wrote:The 'endless pot of money' that communist countries had is a myth. And what you fail to realise is the scope of doping in western nations. This was not a communist systems vs individuals & coaches, This was a communist system vs federations. Federations that covered up drugs tests, federations that asked meet international promoters not to test their athletes at international 'friendly' matches, federations that encouraged athletes to take drugs and provided the means to do so. Do not kid yourself that it wasn't so organised.

Unfortunately, considering the other things you've posted on this thread, I can't put much credence in what you're claiming.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:24 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Are you saying that East Germany was good, but the USSR was better? Maybe you're right, but that's irrelevant to my point which is that the East Germans were good enough not to get caught, and they had more resources able to them than any western individual.

The DDR dominated the 70s before everyone was as organized as they. I 'think' the Soviets ended up better and I think in many cases US athletes were very sophisticated.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:30 am

Pego wrote:This is my view of the Lance Armstrong situation.

1. LA is an overbearing bufoon with little regard for civilized behavior.
2. He won fair and square since he did not do anything that all of his competitors did not. That applies to Le Tour as well as the OG's.
3. Singling out LA as an "example" is a crying shame. IOC in particular. Stripping him of a bronze medal 13 years after the fact while leaving gold and silver medalists, also known dopers intact is a joke.

I couldn't have said it better myself pego. Rick O'Reilly has been pathetic these last couple of days talking about how much Lance hurt and disappointed him and how he put his reputation on the line to defend him. Any journalist who covered Lance and bought into the myth was like an ostrich with his head buried in the sand. Compare his reaction to that of Sally Jenkins' who is unfazed by the admission since it turns out that Lance is exactly the person who she co-authored two books with and who she always thought he was.
jazzcyclist

Postby gh » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:32 am

jazzcyclist wrote:....
Are you saying that East Germany was good, but the USSR was better? Maybe you're right, but that's irrelevant to my point which is that the East Germans were good enough not to get caught, and they had more resources able to them than any western individual.

I'll bow out of this conversation by simply saying, jazz, that you couldn't be more wrong. An inconvenient truth of the highest order.
gh

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:36 am

gh wrote:I'll bow out of this conversation by simply saying, jazz, that you couldn't be more wrong. An inconvenient truth of the highest order.

Is it this part that bothers you? "they had more resources able to them than any western individual"
jazzcyclist

Postby skiboo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:41 am

Gabriella wrote:By the 80's the GDR were definitely 'old school' in the drugs they were administering and never got onto giving their athletes HGH, unlike athletes the USA. And we know which western athletes were on that stuff in that decade.

You imply that we know everyone who was using HGH, but that just isn't true. We may know some of who they were, but it seems like some others get lumped in despite being innocent. You seem to have a problem with one particular American woman who shouldn't be included with the rest.
skiboo

Postby Rog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:45 am

Charlie Francis said that the Soviets knew a little about drugs, the GDR more, and the US were the world leaders. He based his drug protocols for his athletes on what the GDR were doing, and recounted Angella Issajenko telling him one of her US counterparts, a member of a leading training group, had disclosed she was taking ten times the dose Issajenko was. It seems then that at least some US athletes in some events were taking drug dosages far in excess of their GDR equivalents.

As I understand it, the GDR cycled their drug use periodically, but the Soviets took far greater doses over the course of the year, then would maybe take sabbatical years in less important seasons in an effort to avoid saturation.
Rog

Postby gh » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:46 am

time to return to the Lance discussion, folks.
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:53 am

18.99s wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:My only problem is that he seems to still be honoring the omerta which meant that he wouldn't talk candidly about other people. I guess I can respect the fact that he doesn't want to rat other people out, but it would have made for a much more compelling interview if he had ratted.

He's about to lose most of his net worth. Ratting out people would invite lawsuits, which would be hard to defend against if he no longer has any evidence against them other than his own words.

He may well have conversations with the likes of USADA. I would think he would want to hold on to some 'chips' for the modest leverage that it might bring him. By comparison, Bonds and Clemens were about as forthcoming as a lump of coal.

For all the condemnations here, Lance, and others in this saga have told more about the whole process than almost anyone involved the top. Of course, the Johnson affair had similar 'big splash' and at a time when it was less well known by the public.

I note that he claims that he did not use PEDs in his comeback, which was likely against a cleaner, if not clean, set of competition. The USADA claims he did but bases that off much thinner evidence that the prior era -- just the biological passport -- and that claim may have been strategic and one they knew that they could just throw out there. While allocuting to many things, the recent usage and the Swiss test are ones that he disputes. He also did not seem to make any admission about usage prior to cancer and it seemed that he said that he did not use PEDs in the late-1997, 1998 period (he was fourth in the Tour of Spain in 1998, I think). [I just saw in one of the summaries (Rojo) that he did say he doped before cancer, and that Oprah used that to cut off his 'defense' about becoming more no-holds-barred.]
26mi235

Postby guru » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:03 am

26mi235 wrote:

I note that he claims that he did not use PEDs in his comeback...

As I said last night, I believe this is a strategic move(is there any other kind with Armstrong?) so Armstrong can potentially deal with USADA to have his 8-year ban made retroactive to his last confirmed/admitted violation, which is 2005, and makes him eligible to return in...
guru

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:06 am

guru wrote:
26mi235 wrote:

I note that he claims that he did not use PEDs in his comeback...

As I said last night, I believe this is a strategic move(is there any other kind with Armstrong?) so Armstrong can potentially deal with USADA to have his 8-year ban made retroactive to his last confirmed/admitted violation, which is 2005, and makes him eligible to return in...

Yes, but that is very dangerous because he knows if he is caught on that one he is really done for. Maybe he thinks that it is worth it, but it is a pretty big gamble, and he knows what USADA has in those thousand pages and what they might have. He also likely will have meetings with them where that topic will come up and he would have to be able to demonstrate to them why he thinks he can show that they are wrong.
26mi235

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 am

26mi235 wrote:He also did not seem to make any admission about usage prior to cancer and it seemed that he said that he did not use PEDs in the late-1997, 1998 period (he was fourth in the Tour of Spain in 1998, I think). [I just saw in one of the summaries (Rojo) that he did say he doped before cancer, and that Oprah used that to cut off his 'defense' about becoming more no-holds-barred.]

He actually said that he began doping in the "mid-90's", presumably right after he turned pro in 1993.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am

26mi235 wrote:
guru wrote:As I said last night, I believe this is a strategic move(is there any other kind with Armstrong?) so Armstrong can potentially deal with USADA to have his 8-year ban made retroactive to his last confirmed/admitted violation, which is 2005, and makes him eligible to return in...

Yes, but that is very dangerous because he knows if he is caught on that one he is really done for. Maybe he thinks that it is worth it, but it is a pretty big gamble, and he knows what USADA has in those thousand pages and what they might have. He also likely will have meetings with them where that topic will come up and he would have to be able to demonstrate to them why he thinks he can show that they are wrong.

But I'm thinking that if he doped in 2009 and 2010, wouldn't his teammates have known about it and wouldn't they have already testified to the Feds and USADA about it? I think that there's one thing that all of us can probabl;y agree on, and that is if he rode clean in 2009 and 2010, then the peleton would have to have been clean in those years, but if the peleton was still dirty in those years, then he's lying.
jazzcyclist

Postby gh » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:20 am

On our Facebook page, the commentary is def. running anti-Lance at this point. The first poster in, though, said this

<<I still think highly of him! He almost died from cancer an to come back an win like he did is unbelieveable! God I believe had plans for him or the cancer would have killed him. Now get off his back!!>>

he still has fans.
gh

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:25 am

Does Track & Field News have a facebook page that I'm unaware of?
jazzcyclist

Postby guru » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:26 am

Of course, he very well may have given himself the cancer in the first place with the chemical cocktails he was ingesting
guru

Postby Marlow » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:45 am

gh wrote:<<God I believe had plans for him or the cancer would have killed him.>>
he still has fans.

??!!
That only makes sense if God's plans included him PEDing and lying about it.
Marlow

Postby Pego » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:53 am

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:<<God I believe had plans for him or the cancer would have killed him.>>
he still has fans.

??!!
That only makes sense if God's plans included him PEDing and lying about it.

Armstrong is an atheist, btw.
Pego

Postby gh » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:53 am

guru wrote:Of course, he very well may have given himself the cancer in the first place with the chemical cocktails he was ingesting

Oh c'mon, let's not go down the flawed Lyle Alzado path here.
gh

PreviousNext