T&FN's Men's AOY: David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN's Men's AOY: David Rudisha

Postby Tuariki » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:16 am

The letsrun.com final weekly recap where they do comparison of Rudisha vs Merritt is the best analysis of I have read on the subject. My choice had been Merritt, but based on this analysis I think TNF News got it right with Rudisha.
Tuariki

Postby Flumpy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:56 am

I'm really surprised Merritt only came 4th? :?

I can't remember who I finally decided was my #1 between Merrit and Rudisha but there were definitely 1 + 2 for me.
Flumpy

Postby ATK » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:09 pm

Flumpy wrote:I'm really surprised Merritt only came 4th? :?

I can't remember who I finally decided was my #1 between Merrit and Rudisha but there were definitely 1 + 2 for me.

I think seeing him in 1-2 or 3 would have been understandable. But the drop to 4th seems rediculous. All things considered, I feel Bolts season was not in the same leauge a Merrits.
ATK

Postby gh » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:12 pm

a letter to the editor (non-native English speaker)

Your choice of David Rudisha (for the third time in a row, nonetheless) over Ashton Eaton stinks. Eaton, with a world record under the rain, was unbeaten and unchallanged, not so for your third timer, well beatable if one of the other top runners manage to stay with him at the exit of the last turn. As far as your rankings are concerned, they stink too, as usual. You value an olympic gold medal about the same as a first place in a meeting, i.e. no more than an exhibition. A loser, and not even the first of the olympic losers, as Reese Hoffa ahead of both Majewski and Storl in the shot, is a travesty of what counts in every sport: win a title.
gh

Postby Marlow » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:47 pm

gh wrote:Your choice . . . stinks.
As far as your rankings are concerned, they stink too, as usual.
a travesty of what counts

A perennial subscriber, I presume? :wink:

T&FN's rankings are indeed, at times, infuriating, irrational, nonsensical, risible, and insulting. They are also, to paraphrase Churchill (in regard to democracy being "the worst form of government"), better than every other method that's ever been tried.
Marlow

Postby bushop » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:02 pm

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:Your choice . . . stinks. As far as your rankings are concerned, they stink too, as usual. a travesty of what counts.
T&FN's rankings are indeed, at times, infuriating, irrational, nonsensical, risible, and insulting. They are also better than every other method that's ever been tried.
Sergej Litvinov via Facebook wrote:Sergej Litvinov December 29
i think im something like 10th in the world this year. because i wasnt at the olympics. but next year i hope to do it better ))
bushop

Postby bobguild76 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:08 pm

gh wrote:a letter to the editor (non-native English speaker)

Your choice of David Rudisha (for the third time in a row, nonetheless) over Ashton Eaton stinks. Eaton, with a world record under the rain, was unbeaten and unchallanged, not so for your third timer, well beatable if one of the other top runners manage to stay with him at the exit of the last turn. As far as your rankings are concerned, they stink too, as usual. You value an olympic gold medal about the same as a first place in a meeting, i.e. no more than an exhibition. A loser, and not even the first of the olympic losers, as Reese Hoffa ahead of both Majewski and Storl in the shot, is a travesty of what counts in every sport: win a title.

Yikes! Maybe the writer wants T&FN to simply rank each event according to the Olympic final order, which is as non-sensical as whatever non-formula All-athletics uses. For example, does this writer think Makhloufi should be ranked above Kiplagat in the 1500?

I most definitely agree with Marlow ... T&FN gets it better than any other publication. While Kiplagat would certainly trade his #1 ranking for Makhloufi's Olympic gold, there is no way T&FN would switch their respective rankings without violating its own decades old three-part criteria.

As for Rudisha vs Eaton, that has been discussed every which way on this forum, and their respective seasons were reflected in the closeness of the vote. As many others, I would have voted Merritt - Bolt as 3 - 4, but even that was close, and there's no denying Bolt had a fantastic season. Keep up the good work T&FN!!!
bobguild76

Postby Peter Michaelson » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Rudisha is the only man to win the Olympic 800 and the outdoor World Championships 800. I know that's not part of the criteria for AOY. Just sayin'.
Peter Michaelson

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:55 pm

gh wrote:
dbirds wrote:Not to mention - a heptathlon wr even though t&f news refused to acknowledge it

it was well acknowledged to the indoor season, where it belonged. We similarly "refused to acknowledge" (as always) cross country races, non-marathon road races, 56-pound weight throws, caber tosses, the egg-and-spoon race, 3-legged race, synchronized high jumping and being the member of a relay team.

None are part of the picture of the central core of the sport as defined by T&FN for its purposes decades ago. It's a simple system to understand, and it's here to stay.

There are exceptions, as the vertical jumps seem to have some effect. I posit that for the AOY consideration, as regards multi-event competitors it is relevant. Its relevance is seen in part by the, to me, inapt statement that he deserves lesser consideration because he only had two competitions. In fact, prepping for and performing at the WIC to get the WR very much is a part of his competitive year and effects his schedule of events in a way that is at the core of track and field -- the comments about caber tossing in this context is really absurd--I understand the point that you were trying to make but I think that the absurdity serves to point out why in this case it is relevant.
26mi235

Postby bushop » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:22 pm

26mi235 wrote:
gh wrote:
dbirds wrote:Not to mention - a heptathlon wr even though t&f news refused to acknowledge it
it was well acknowledged to the indoor season, where it belonged. We similarly "refused to acknowledge"... 56-pound weight throws, caber tosses... None are part of the picture of the central core of the sport as defined by T&FN for its purposes decades ago. It's a simple system to understand, and it's here to stay.
... the comments about caber tossing in this context is really absurd--I understand the point that you were trying to make but I think that the absurdity serves to point out why in this case it is relevant.

26mi235... you picked the wrong event as an example... I know throwers who think the caber, stone, shelf and weight should be in the mix for T&F News rankings.
bushop

Postby gh » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:24 pm

just to clarify.... my use of the "highland events" was meant in the context of using results in those events as part of ranking one of the standard events (e.g., factoring the 56lb weight into the hammer rankings).

It was a classic reductio ad absurdum.

I'll try one last time. The indoor heptathlon doesn't count for the decathlon rankings for the same reason that the indoor 60 doesn't count for the 100 rankings: they're not remotely the same event, and reward different skill sets.

If you can't see that the Eaton types (where all of his great events are included and his two worst are excluded) get an added advantage indoors over somebody who is slower afoot and throws better, then I don't know what to tell you.

Nonetheless, I hasten to add one last time that Eaton's non-hept season was plenty good enough for me and I voted for him as AOY without it.
gh

Postby mump boy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:34 am

gh wrote:well beatable if one of the other top runners manage to stay with him at the exit of the last turn

:?

I know it's an impossible comparison but i'm pretty sure that if he's competed 7 times it is likey that Ashton Eaton may not have tried so hard on one occasion, he may have been distracted or under the weather or even fouled out in one event

This is why i can't hold 1 (or even a few) loses against people who competed a lot. If Rudisha or Merrit had only competed on National Trials and OG they too would be undefeated, it's a totally unfair comparison
mump boy

Postby gh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:17 am

mump boy wrote:....
I know it's an impossible comparison but i'm pretty sure that if he's competed 7 times it is likey that Ashton Eaton may not have tried so hard on one occasion, he may have been distracted or under the weather or even fouled out in one event ....

This is where it gets tricky. As I noted in discussing this in my column in the new issue, if Eaton were competing "not to lose" he could be distracted or under the weather and still win. And would take precautions not to foul out. He had enough margin over everybody else—which is my point—that he could afford a "safety jump/throw" and still win. I just see no circumstance under which he loses.
gh

Postby Marlow » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:28 am

gh wrote:I just see no circumstance under which he loses.

Just like Dan O'Brien in 92 . . .
Marlow

Postby gh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:05 am

You're missing the point..... I stipulated COMPETING NOT TO LOSE: O'B in '92 was going for a high score at the same time.
gh

Postby Marlow » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:10 am

gh wrote:You're missing the point..... I stipulated COMPETING NOT TO LOSE: O'B in '92 was going for a high score at the same time.

I guess my point is that clearing the opening Decathlon PV bar (no matter how low) in the middle of the second day is sometimes problematic, even for the best of them. When a technical problem arises, even the very best are reduced to ashes.
Marlow

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:33 am

gh wrote:
I know it's an impossible comparison but i'm pretty sure that if he's competed 7 times it is likey that Ashton Eaton may not have tried so hard on one occasion, he may have been distracted or under the weather or even fouled out in one event ....

This is where it gets tricky. As I noted in discussing this in my column in the new issue, if Eaton were competing "not to lose" he could be distracted or under the weather and still win. And would take precautions not to foul out. He had enough margin over everybody else—which is my point—that he could afford a "safety jump/throw" and still win. I just see no circumstance under which he loses.

To your point, there was a 1-2 minute video featured on the front page of the indoor world championships from 2012 showing Eaton as he went for the world record. The other athletes in that video were so far out of Eaton's league, it was almost comical. I understand that multis are different from any other event, but can you imagine a 4% margin of victory in any other event at this level? ie 40cm in the PV, .4sec in the 100, or almost a meter in the LJ?
Dave

Postby Tuariki » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:30 am

Dave wrote:
gh wrote:

To your point, there was a 1-2 minute video featured on the front page of the indoor world championships from 2012 showing Eaton as he went for the world record. The other athletes in that video were so far out of Eaton's league, it was almost comical. I understand that multis are different from any other event, but can you imagine a 4% margin of victory in any other event at this level? ie 40cm in the PV, .4sec in the 100, or almost a meter in the LJ?

While not quite at the same level, Jacko Gill's winning margin at 2011 Lille IAAF world youth champs was 19.65% greater than 2nd place. Tyler Schultz 20.35m for 2nd. 24.35m for Gill.
Tuariki

Postby mump boy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:16 am

gh wrote:

But we could say the same thing about DR in Zurich, stuff happens sometimes and if you put yourself in the position for it to happen then there's 100% more chance that it will do

i have no argument with AE season it was sublime BUT for me you don't get extra credit for going unbeaten when you don't really put yourself in a position to be beaten. DR didn't have to run in Zurich, AM didn't have to run against all his top competition week in week out

I'm not against any of these 3 being AOY but AE would be my 3rd choice
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 am

Dave wrote:To your point, there was a 1-2 minute video featured on the front page of the indoor world championships from 2012 showing Eaton as he went for the world record. The other athletes in that video were so far out of Eaton's league, it was almost comical. I understand that multis are different from any other event, but can you imagine a 4% margin of victory in any other event at this level? ie 40cm in the PV, .4sec in the 100, or almost a meter in the LJ?

Helsinki 2005
POS BIB ATHLETE COUNTRY MARK DETAIL
1 632 Elena ISINBAEVA RUS 5.01 WR
2 564 Monika PYREK POL 4.60
3 162 Pavla RYBOVÁ CZE 4.50

and how would 4% equal 1m in the LJ ? :?
mump boy

Postby bobguild76 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:32 am

mump boy wrote:
Dave wrote:To your point, there was a 1-2 minute video featured on the front page of the indoor world championships from 2012 showing Eaton as he went for the world record. The other athletes in that video were so far out of Eaton's league, it was almost comical. I understand that multis are different from any other event, but can you imagine a 4% margin of victory in any other event at this level? ie 40cm in the PV, .4sec in the 100, or almost a meter in the LJ?

Helsinki 2005

Methinks he meant to say 1 foot. :wink: Long Jump results: Mexico City - 1968

1. Beamon - 8.90 WR
2. Beer - 8.19
3. Boston - 8.16

Almost a meter! A 7.98% margin of victory!
bobguild76

Postby tm71 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Mighty Favog wrote:I was disappointed to see Merritt all the way down at 4th, but this was an unusually tough year at the top, what with three "are you kidding me?" types of World Records. Merritt had more losses than the others but did not go out if his way to avoid the tough competition.

totallt agree. in my book merritt had the best ever season by a high hurdler and deserved a much higher ranking !
tm71

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:07 pm

bobguild76 wrote:
mump boy wrote:

Helsinki 2005

Methinks he meant to say 1 foot. :wink: Long Jump results: Mexico City - 1968

1. Beamon - 8.90 WR
2. Beer - 8.19
3. Boston - 8.16

Almost a meter! A 7.98% margin of victory!

I was just sloppy. 8.90 * .04=.356 ~=1ft though. I should have stuck with running examples. Based on the vault and LJ example provided above. I guess Eaton's margin isn't completely unheard of. That said, being in the same league with Issy and Beamon on their best days is a good place to be.
Dave

Postby bobguild76 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Dave wrote:I was just sloppy. 8.90 * .04=.356 ~=1ft though. I should have stuck with running examples. Based on the vault and LJ example provided above. I guess Eaton's margin isn't completely unheard of. That said, being in the same league with Issy and Beamon on their best days is a good place to be.

So true, Dave. And I think, years from now, athletes will be honored to have someone say; "You're in the same league as Eaton."
bobguild76

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:19 am

Dave wrote: That said, being in the same league with Issy and Beamon on their best days is a good place to be.

What's the % of breaking the DEc WR by 13 points ?? because i'm sure they did it by much more than that !!

AE was brilliant this year but let's not get carried away, the competition wasn't so hot was it ?Rudisha lead the greatest depth 800m of all time and Merrit was racing against the highest calibre competition ever, Eaton had an out of sorts Trey Hardee and that's about it
mump boy

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:57 am

mump boy wrote:
Dave wrote: That said, being in the same league with Issy and Beamon on their best days is a good place to be.

What's the % of breaking the DEc WR by 13 points ?? because i'm sure they did it by much more than that !!

AE was brilliant this year but let's not get carried away, the competition wasn't so hot was it ?Rudisha lead the greatest depth 800m of all time and Merrit was racing against the highest calibre competition ever, Eaton had an out of sorts Trey Hardee and that's about it

I was thinking about how they dominated their competitors rather than beating the WR. AE has been on a multi year rise. AOY criteria require that only the outdoor events be considered, but I was looking at both indoor and outdoor. Is there anyone other than Hardee or Clay who could possibly given AE any sort of real competition over the past 5-10 years? Is there anyone whom we expect to challenge him anytime soon?

No question that Rudisha is brilliant. The OG 800 was probably the best race I have ever observed and it is unlikely to be the final word in an amazing career.
Dave

Postby ATK » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:20 pm

Dave wrote:Is there anyone other than Hardee or Clay who could possibly given AE any sort of real competition over the past 5-10 years?

Roman Sebrle...?
ATK

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:25 pm

ATK wrote:
Dave wrote:Is there anyone other than Hardee or Clay who could possibly given AE any sort of real competition over the past 5-10 years?

Roman Sebrle...?

Duh. How soon they forget....
Dave

Postby Tuariki » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:00 am

I think this idiot is Cambodian with a handle like that.
Is he trying to infect this site in some way??
Tuariki

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:15 am

Eaton's WR was made under less-than-auspicious weather conditions. How much did he lose from just the 400, for instance. Great weather might have given him 9100++ (although I bet he does not run faster than 4:15 in that case).

As for Beamon, just after his jump it started pouring rain. Contrast with the TJ where the WR went several times. Also, it probably should be 8.90w, without anything strong as a back up.
26mi235

Postby Gleason » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:53 pm

I agree. IMHO indoor events that are contested at the World Indoor Championships (60/HH/3000/multis) that have a similar outdoor event (100/HH/5000/multis)should be considered in AOY if an athlete chooses to compete indoors.
Gleason

Postby Flumpy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:04 am

But the ones that are similar are counted.

The ones you mention aren't similar, especially the multis.
Flumpy

Postby gh » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:56 am

zackly
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:41 am

Flumpy wrote:But the ones that are similar are counted.

The 60/100 and the 60h/110h you have already connected, the 1000/1500 is not too far off, the SP, PV, HJ and LJ are identical. The only difference is the seven versus ten; does anybody have any illusions that Eaton would not have won a ten-event contest indoors. These two are not widely dis-similar [I understand that Eaton gets only one great event while adding two mediocre ones but that would have affected the outcome with no more than 0.01%(he won by 10%) beyond injuring himself in the 400]. This mapping is especially the case because you cannot do more than 2 or 3 decathlons at a high level during the short summer season. Eaton is hammered for not setting a OR and not competing in three decathlons, and yet it was only because of an injury and the fact that he had already destroyed the field that he backed off in the 1500 and then called it a season.
26mi235

Postby bobguild76 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:37 am

26mi235 wrote:

The 60/100 and the 60h/110h you have already connected, the 1000/1500 is not too far off, the SP, PV, HJ and LJ are identical. The only difference is the seven versus ten; does anybody have any illusions that Eaton would not have won a ten-event contest indoors. These two are not widely dis-similar [I understand that Eaton gets only one great event while adding two mediocre ones but that would have affected the outcome with no more than 0.01%(he won by 10%) beyond injuring himself in the 400]. This mapping is especially the case because you cannot do more than 2 or 3 decathlons at a high level during the short summer season. Eaton is hammered for not setting a OR and not competing in three decathlons, and yet it was only because of an injury and the fact that he had already destroyed the field that he backed off in the 1500 and then called it a season.

Some thoughts;

1. As has been noted before on this board, the 60/60H & 100/110H are different. They are both sprints, but indoors rewards a fast starter to a greater degree than outdoors. Hypothetical ... let's say Gatlin beat Bolt indoors in the 60 IWC last year. Would anyone use that to even partially offset Bolt's outdoor Olympic 100?

2. Not every athlete treats indoors the same. Some compete hard, some go to different events, some stay away. T&FN has an Indoor AOY to recognize the premier athletes in the undercover campaign.

3. If we use indoors and/or "similar" events, then how should we weight distance events? Example: Mosop ran a spectacular 30K WR at Eugene in 2011, but it mattered not in either the 10K or Marathon rankings. Another example: Back in the day, Martin McGrady ruled the indoor 600. His races against Lee Evans were amazing, and he also defeated Ralph Doubell. So there we have someone defeating two Olympic gold medalists, but whose victories rightly had no effect on his rankings in either the 400 or 800 outdoors.
bobguild76

Postby Gleason » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:10 am

I think that indoor and other events should be considered as a supplement to an AOY season. For example, in 1968 McGrady tried the 400, 800 and 400H but couldn't qualify for the Olympic Trials in either event.
Gleason

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:18 am

Gleason wrote:I think that indoor and other events should be considered as a supplement to an AOY season. For example, in 1968 McGrady tried the 400, 800 and 400H but couldn't qualify for the Olympic Trials in either event.

McGrady is a pretty poor example. While the guy was awesome indoors, he seemed to completely disappear, like no other athlete that I can remember, when the sun shined.

Maybe he was really a vampire...
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby bobguild76 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:49 am

Conor Dary wrote:
Gleason wrote:I think that indoor and other events should be considered as a supplement to an AOY season. For example, in 1968 McGrady tried the 400, 800 and 400H but couldn't qualify for the Olympic Trials in either event.

McGrady is a pretty poor example. While the guy was awesome indoors, he seemed to completely disappear, like no other athlete that I can remember, when the sun shined.

Maybe he was really a vampire...

My point, exactly.

But what memories! I still remember Madison Square Garden, packed to the rafters, McGrady & Evans in the 600. All you ever have to say is 1:07.6, and anyone from that era will get that far-off glazed look of wonder, because they know exactly what you are referring to. I was standing & yelling & screaming with my brother & others from my high school track team at the most amazing indoor performance I ever saw.
bobguild76

Postby mump boy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:26 pm

26mi235 wrote:

Nelli Cooman was 6 times european champion 2 times world champion and WR holder over 60m. Her best over 100m was a solitary european bronze medal and a pb of 11.06, don't tell me they're the same event

As for the multis, they may not effect the result for Ashton Eaton but they certainly will for nearly everyone else. If you're an athletes who relies on your heavy throws you're f****d indoors where as anyone who excels at sprints or jumps has a massive advantage.

Myabe we should count XC when assessing 5k/10k :?
mump boy

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:43 pm

I was saying given the scoring difference, he could have withstood the effects of adding those three events using anyone's multis resume given that one of them was the 400 where he would have outpointed everyone, with the strong guys being distanced the most.

As for the NC observation, since the multi guys have to be good across the 100/110h/400 and 1500, I doubt many of them are among that subset that cannot bridge the 60/100 gap and the hurdles are the same, which is more important than the differential speed in the 60/100 case. In addition, the 'equating' of the two was done above my post.
26mi235

PreviousNext