Whiskey question

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Whiskey question

Postby Pego » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:34 am

Conor Dary wrote:Whereupon the cousin asks if he wants some ice.

I never knew of a custom of "booze-on-rocks" before coming to USA.
Pego

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:19 am

Pego wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Whereupon the cousin asks if he wants some ice.

I never knew of a custom of "booze-on-rocks" before coming to USA.

Definitely an American thing. I never heard of it in England or Spain.

I think the cousin, who is English, just wanted to test my brother out to see if he should waste good booze on him. Fortunately, unlike like Gollum, he knew the answer to the riddle.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby tandfman » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:33 am

I would never drink an expensive single malt or high-end bourbon on the rocks, but I certainly drink good gin and vodka on the rocks. Ditto Jack Daniel's and good blended scotch.
tandfman

Postby Wang Lung » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:38 pm

"On The Rocks" is a Scottish phrase. Before the availability of ice, they used to put cold river rocks in their glass to cool the beverage. At least, that is what I was told by a guy in the biz.
Wang Lung

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:54 pm

Wang Lung wrote:"On The Rocks" is a Scottish phrase. Before the availability of ice, they used to put cold river rocks in their glass to cool the beverage. At least, that is what I was told by a guy in the biz.

I find that a bit doubtful. What drinks do the Scots cool now with ice? Certainly not Scotch.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:58 pm

tandfman wrote:I would never drink an expensive single malt or high-end bourbon on the rocks, but I certainly drink good gin and vodka on the rocks. Ditto Jack Daniel's and good blended scotch.

At home, I never drink any of those on the rocks. I simply keep a bottle of each (not the scotches) in the freezer. A wonderfully syrupy pour with no dilution.
gh

Postby gh » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:21 pm

OK, this might be a scotch to lust after. I was reading a movie critic talking about product placement and he said some movie had the supposedly sophisticated couple sipping on Glenfiddich, and his reaction was, "Want to impress me? Bring me some Brora."

So I hied me quickly to google:

http://www.maltmadness.com/whisky/brora.html
gh

Postby tandfman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:13 am

gh wrote:OK, this might be a scotch to lust after.

I'm afraid lust is going to be as far as I get with this one. The stuff costs more than $400 a bottle. A bit out of my price range. :(
tandfman

Postby gh » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:50 am

god's way of telling you you aren't making enough money :twisted: :twisted:
gh

Postby Daisy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:25 am

Conor Dary wrote:
Wang Lung wrote:"On The Rocks" is a Scottish phrase. Before the availability of ice, they used to put cold river rocks in their glass to cool the beverage. At least, that is what I was told by a guy in the biz.

I find that a bit doubtful. What drinks do the Scots cool now with ice? Certainly not Scotch.

Certainly not beer. What else is there?
Daisy

Postby tandfman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:27 am

God moves in a mysterious way. :)
tandfman

Postby tandfman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:04 pm

Scotland? We don't need no stinkin' Scotland.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/dinin ... claim.html
tandfman

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:02 am

tandfman wrote:Scotland? We don't need no stinkin' Scotland.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/dinin ... claim.html

Yes, but sort of irrelevant in the scale of things since their inventories are so small. I see there is an Oregon whiskey, which I thought would be worth a try, but it is sold out.

Mr. McCarthy, who says he plans to expand production in the next year, is pleasantly frustrated with his whiskey’s growing global following.“I get calls from Japan for my entire inventory,” he said. “I labor over my eaux de vie, but the product they all want is whiskey.”
Conor Dary

Postby tandfman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:15 am

gh wrote:The difference in smoothness between their 12 and 18 is palpable. Unfortunately, so is the price.

Our group of travelling track junkies regularly wrap up meals with a wee dram of the Mac. The fun part is applying what we call "The Macallan Rule" which is that a shot shouldn't cost more than a dollar per year. Obviously, with inflation that gets tougher every year, and while the 12 hangs in there pretty close, more often than not they're now asking for about $25 for the 18. The key comes in looking at the relative price between the two and figuring which is closest to rule.

I wonder what the rule is for Scotch from the 19th Century.

http://news.yahoo.com/explorers-rare-sc ... nance.html

Alas, it will probably never be sold, at any price.
tandfman

Postby gh » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:25 pm

tried something new last night that the novice might like, as Balvenie perhaps channels Macallan and the sherry casks by using ones that held rum: Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask.

nice and smooth. (no idea about pricing; it was a comp)
gh

Previous