T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results 1 Vote

Postby donley2 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:13 pm

mump boy wrote:As there are so many of them i've left the description brief, i'll leave it to you to elaborate

1 VOTE

1 point

Cleaning stand on first day of dec 96

I was the one with this rather odd choice for last on my list. I just have this vivid memory of the morning running events being over, but the decathlon shot put I believe was still continuing. So after maybe 20 or 30 minutes after the races where done the bodies in the stands where down from 80k to maybe 10k tops. The decathlon shot put continues for a while and a some point they actually ask for people to consolidate into a small section of the stadium so they can clean. Just an image of the difference between people who came to watch some olympics (of any variety) and those who actually where interested in seeing all the track and field competition.
donley2

Postby Daisy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:43 pm

mump boy wrote:Linford Christie 100m 92

This was mine. The memory for me is strong more because of where we watched. We (White Horse Harriers) were driving back in convoy from a Southern Men's league meet in Perterborough. Suddenly realised that the 100m final was coming up, stopped at the nearest pub and piled in to watch the race. Not disappointed and got a beer in at the same time, after a long afternoon on the track.
Daisy

Postby HopStepJump » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Steve Hooker winning in 08 was mine. I was there in the stadium for that one. He's definintely an easy guy to cheer for. He kept making 3rd attempts. After he clinched the gold, he took all three tries at the Olympic record, finally getting it on the 3rd attempt. One of my favorite moments of the Beijing games.

I also had Carl Lewis winning the 96 long jump, but my vote would've been worth 16 points. I'm guessing that there might be 2 votes for Lewis.

I considered voting for Flanagan's bronze but I was limited to 10 USA moments. I was extremely fortunate to be sitting next to her mother, Cheryl Treworgy, the next evening when the medal ceremony took place. That moment is also worthy of top twenty and I wasn't thinking about it when I made my picks. By the way, Cheryl is a really good photographer on top of her running accomplishments. You can see her work at http://www.prettysporty.com.
HopStepJump

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:15 pm

HopStepJump wrote:I also had Carl Lewis winning the 96 long jump, but my vote would've been worth 16 points. I'm guessing that there might be 2 votes for Lewis.

Sorry that should have been Carl Lewis LJ 92

now corrected

please let me know when you see any more mistakes
mump boy

Postby Tuariki » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:40 pm

hi mump boy

I am guessing you have interpreted my listing backwards.
I had them ranked by placings, not points. Therefore, my "1" was for 1st.

So the 1 point for "Ostapchuk DQ 12" is probably my #1 pick and good for 20 points.

I won't state my #20 pick for the 1 point (as you already know it) and I am presuming it is a pick that probably resonated with several of the other posters.

As I told you PM my reason for choosing the DQ was because:

1. I just happened to be watching the BBC live in NZ when the BBC announcement of the disqualification of Ostapchuk came through;

2. As I was also multi-tasking at the time (watching TV and posting to this message board) I was the first to report it on TnF message board with GH challenging me, literally a few seconds after my posting, to justify my posting.
Tuariki

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Tuariki wrote:hi mump boy

I am guessing you have interpreted my listing backwards.
I had them ranked by placings, not points. Therefore, my "1" was for 1st.

You were one of the few people who did exactly as i asked and posted 20-1 so i understood your list perfectly, I've just misread the 1 vote for 1 point in my notes

now corrected

probably best to delete your explanation you can post it again when we get to it properly
mump boy

Postby bobguild76 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:34 pm

mump boy wrote:As there are so many of them i've left the description brief, i'll leave it to you to elaborate

I'm loving this, and looking forward to the next posting! I chose the 76 Steeple ... Garderud & Malinowski both breaking the WR, with Baumgartl right there until the last hurdle. Similar to Rudisha in the London 800, it was the best in the world laying it all on the line at a WR pace on the biggest stage of all. I only wonder how it might have unfolded had the Kenyans been there.
bobguild76

Postby bobguild76 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:46 pm

nevetsllim wrote:I picked the 2008 Olympic 5000m final for how memorably disappointing it was. The field was absolutely stacked and after being treated to an epic 10,000m race, it unfolded like a below-average race you'd see at the WAF. IIRC it was one of the most anticipated races on these forums in light of Dibaba's 14:11 WR and Defar's 14:12 a few weeks later (Shobukhova had also run 14:23 at the Russian Champs) but the end-product was a hugely anti-climactic affair. The winning time was about 55sec slower than Tiru's second-half in the 10,000m!

Ain't that the truth! I'm of the opinion (most always) that in the Olympics or WC ... pace, shmace! It's about winning, and the tactical wherewithal to bring your A-Game to the Final. But that 5k was like watching grass grow. I still found myself wondering and waiting to see who would push and from how far out. As we waited ... and waited, my excitement grew as I wondered if Defar or Dibaba would make the big move first.

So yes, it was a disappointment after the 10k, but still an exciting final 1k.
bobguild76

Postby Tuariki » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:48 am

To make it easier to refer back to mump boy's tabulations I am reporting using the following code

* total points awarded
* my points
* Games year
* Athlete

4 - 4 - 1960 - Livio Berrutti
To an 8 year old Berrutti seemed so cool, so tall, so magnificent as he strode around the bend in those sunglasses and in the majestic and smooth running style he had. The Olympic highlights movie for Rome is where I saw my first Olympic action. It remains one of my all time favourite movies - although I have never watched it since seeing it in the movie theatre. And except for the kiwi gold medallists - Snell and Halberg - Berrutti remains my favourite memory of Rome.

5 -5 - 1972 - Borzov
I have always been impressed by the supreme confidence (arrogance) of the robotic Borzov when he won the 1972 sprint double. i think he would have still won even if everyone had turned up on time.

6 - 6 - 1980- Men's TJ
It is a pity that Ian Campbell and the late Joao De Oliveira can't get the same sort of justice as Adam Nelson and Valerie Adams and get their gold and silver medals awarded when the video evidence confirms the blatant cheating of the Russians.
Tuariki

Postby LopenUupunut » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:24 am

mump boy wrote:1 point
Jack Lovelock 1500m 36
That was me. Just looking at the list of participants makes it clear that it ought to have been an awesome race, and it was:

- Luigi Beccali, former WR holder, defending Olympic Champion and European Champion.
- Glenn Cunningham, all-time #2 and mile WR holder. Two weeks after the Olympics he set a new WR at 800 metres of 1:49.7 (though it wasn't quite equal to Ben Eastman's 1:49.8y).
- Jack Lovelock, former mile WR holder (set in beating current 1500m WR holder Bill Bonthron) and Empire Games champion.
- Archie San Romani, who lost by inches to Cunningham at US Trials (in one of the best times ever) and would run a WR at 2000 metres in 1937.
- Phil Edwards, British Empire champion at 880 yards and defending Oly bronze medallist... in this event and almost any other. Entering this race, he'd won five Olympic bronze medals.
- Jerry Cornes, who was second behind Beccali in '32 and third behind Lovelock and Sydney Wooderson in '34. (Wooderson was injured in '36 and went out in heats.)
- Miklós Szabó, European Champion at 800 metres and silver medallist at 1500 metres. A couple months after the Olympics he beat Jules Ladoumègue's WR at 2000 metres. (In '37, he set a WR at 2 miles and broke Beccali's European record at 1500.)
- Erik Ny, who'd been 5th in '32 and ran a very fast 3:50.8 behind Beccali in '34.
- Gene Venzke, who'd been one of the world's top runners for many years and beat WR holder Bonthron for the third spot in the US team.

Lovelock obliterated the field with an absolutely zooming last lap, leaving Cunningham well behind. (I'll refer you to Cunningham's credentials and 800 speed above.) Both of them broke the WR... enough said.

mump boy wrote:3 points
Mel Sheppard v Harold Wilson 1500m 08
That was also me. One of the top audience-silencing moments in Olympic history... imagine if Jeylan v Farah had happened at London and you pretty much have it :D Wilson might have had better chances in a faster race; waiting until the last lap played straight into Sheppard's hands.

mump boy wrote:9 points
Ritola beats Nurmi 10k 28
What's up with this one? It isn't mine, but it's still off some way or other; Nurmi won the 10k. Ritola did win the 5k, though (after both of them had been slightly injured in the steeplechase heats). So either the distance is wrong, the names are reversed or someone picked a non-existent moment :)
LopenUupunut

Postby mump boy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:51 am

bobguild76 wrote:
nevetsllim wrote:I picked the 2008 Olympic 5000m final for how memorably disappointing it was. The field was absolutely stacked and after being treated to an epic 10,000m race, it unfolded like a below-average race you'd see at the WAF. IIRC it was one of the most anticipated races on these forums in light of Dibaba's 14:11 WR and Defar's 14:12 a few weeks later (Shobukhova had also run 14:23 at the Russian Champs) but the end-product was a hugely anti-climactic affair. The winning time was about 55sec slower than Tiru's second-half in the 10,000m!

Ain't that the truth! I'm of the opinion (most always) that in the Olympics or WC ... pace, shmace! It's about winning, and the tactical wherewithal to bring your A-Game to the Final. But that 5k was like watching grass grow. I still found myself wondering and waiting to see who would push and from how far out. As we waited ... and waited, my excitement grew as I wondered if Defar or Dibaba would make the big move first.

I've never understood this mind set, just happy to jog around thinking they may have a chance to outsprint baby face !! if you're going to end up at the back of the field anyway, why not go down in a blaze of glory you never know what might happen that way :x
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:04 am

I have 3 with 1 vote

Ellen Van Langen's 800m victory 1992

was the most perfect piece of even paced running, she took her chances down the home straight nipped through a gap on the inside and strode away from a loaded field. It was brilliant as was her reaction after the race, literally not knowing that to do with herself. She has such a beautiful, tall long striding technique as well

Gary are you sure we can't post some video ??

Deratu Tulu v Elena Meyer 10k 1992

I can't believe no one else chose this seminal Olympic moment :shock:
The first black african woman to win gold beating the newly re integrated South Africa in he process, then the join lap of honour !! Come on guys is has EVERYTHING

Vanderlei de Lima attacked during marathon 2004

in the last 7km he had a 35 second break on the field, he knew he was fading but was holding on for dear life and then that crazy c**t came charging at him from no where. The look of pure terror on the poor mans face

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-J5yOmwJbGc8/T ... 0/lima.jpg

the fact that he held it together and finished 3rd is just rewards for this most bizarre of episodes
mump boy

Postby Gabriella » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:34 am

Some of mine have come up. Seoul w400mh was a great race. Back to the Iron curtain days, Ledovskaya have improved enormously that season from relative obscurity. Busch was the reigning World champ and had shown good form and Flintoff King had some good races on the GP circuit. Ellen Fiedler had also returned to form after a couple of poor years. In the SF Ledovskaya blasted from the blocks and eased over the final 100m, Flintoff edging her by 1/100th. Busch and Fiedler took the other SF with Busch not looking her best. Come the final and Ledovskaya again took it out hard with a clear lead. Busch and Fiedler were stride for stride with the Australian a meter or two behind them. Come the home straight and it looked like the Soviet would win with Busch and Fiedler in their own private battle for silver. But suddenly Flintoff put in a final burst overtaking the East Germans and, as Ledovskaya eased down on the line, Flintoff out dipped her! As in the SF the margin was 1/100th.

Ledovskaya should have won and paid the price of easing down. The gritty Australian proved you should fight to the end and never give up as did Fielder, out dipping her more fancied colleague. Who'd have thought the reigning champ would miss out? A fantastic race
Gabriella

Postby Gabriella » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:54 am

Seoul w4x400. Another east vs west. The GDR had dominated the 4x4 for a number of tears and even without Koch still won the world title in Rome. But 88 was different. Emmelmann and Neubauer didn't make it past the individual semis and the URS won gold and bronze. Bryzgina was near her best and Nazarova had PBed in the sf. The USA had 3 women under 50 secs in the individual semis and come the relay decided to draft in Flo Jo who was in surreal form over 100/200. The Soviets were taking the relay seriously only entering two women in the individual. Come the relay final and the US and URS were leek after the first leg with the GDR some 5m adrift. But Nazarova on the second was superb running a sub 48 leg and giving Pinigina a big lead. Brisco Hooks ran a cracking well paced leg though to take meters out of Pinigina and giving Flo Jo a chance. Bryzgina was superb setting a wild pace but Flo Jo was holding her. It seemed she may be able to do the impossible but the Soviet was too strong. The splits were great with Bryzgina sub 48 and Flo Jo 48 flat and of course we saw a new WR Despite two last legs of 48.8 the GDR finished was behind.
Some questioned whether Brisco and Flo Jo should have swapped legs but Bryzgina was experienced.
Gabriella

Postby Flumpy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:13 am

I added in a few really obscure moments that I love and am shocked to see that none of them have a single vote :D

I think I may have a twin brother with a very similar memory :lol:
Flumpy

Postby Flumpy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:31 am

nevetsllim wrote:I also chose the 2008 Olympic women's triple jump final. It was just a fabulously exciting and high-standard competition (top-6 over 15m) and nothing since has come close to matching it.

This was on my long list. I'd forgotten what a great standard competish it was I just loved Francois coming out of nowhere to defend her title :mrgreen:
Flumpy

Postby Flumpy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:59 am

mump boy wrote:I have 3 with 1 vote

Ellen Van Langen's 800m victory 1992

This was on my long list but had to drop it to make space for other moments (As you do!!!)

mump boy wrote:Deratu Tulu v Elena Meyer 10k 1992

I can't believe no one else chose this seminal Olympic moment :shock:

I thought I had. It was certainly on my list but I seem to have crossed it out by mistake when confusing it with another 10k race :cry:

mump boy wrote:Vanderlei de Lima attacked during marathon 2004

Forgot all about this. T'was amazing. What a mentalist. He was dressed as a leprchaun.

Thank god de Lima hung on for bronze.
Flumpy

Postby bushop » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:21 pm

mump boy wrote:1 VOTE
5 points
Luis Delís (Cuba) short marked in DT 80

This situation helped a teenager better understand the Soviet Union's attitude of...
We're all in this together as long as we win.
I was able to share the story in 12th grade liturate class as a parellel to Napoleon the pig's...
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
This was reenforced later in life while reading Wolfgang Schmidt's biography Thrown Free.
bushop

Postby Daisy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:48 pm

'In 1980, the Soviets Turned the Olympics Into the Games of Shame'
The Austin American-Statesman | Sunday, July 20, 2008 | James Dunaway http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2048486/posts

Bill Peck, a knowledgeable track guy, was watching the discus closely, along with a friend. Both of them saw the discus officials mark the final throw of Luis Delis of Cuba short by what they thought was at least a couple of feet. Other journalists said they had seen the same thing.

Since the winning throw of Viktor Rashchupchin of the USSR was only 13 inches better than Delis' short-marked throw, there was a widespread feeling that Delis had been cheated out of the gold.

I know Delis thought he was cheated. I asked him a couple of years later, and he said so. He had no doubt he was cheated, and he still thinks so.
Daisy

Postby bobguild76 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:27 pm

mump boy wrote:
bobguild76 wrote:

I've never understood this mind set, just happy to jog around thinking they may have a chance to outsprint baby face !! if you're going to end up at the back of the field anyway, why not go down in a blaze of glory you never know what might happen that way :x

I agree that there is nothing more frustrating than watching the start of an Olympic/WC race at a jog. And that there is nothing more amazing than watching the the race unfold at or near WR pace. That is why the distance races that made it to my Top 20 were all similar to the 76 Steeple.

I also agree that, when faced with someone like the Baby faced Destroyer, someone should have the courage to force the pace. For example, T&FN said about the 2000 Olympic women's 5k, that Paula Radcliffe "had shown more courage than the entire men's 5K field combined ...", even though she ended up in the dreaded 4th place spot.

But having said that, there is also a building excitement at any pace in an Olympic/WC distance final. It frustrates me to watch those with no kick let the pace lag, but it is still exciting to watch any distance race unfold. Another example ... Mo Farah's 5K in London was s - l - o - w, but no less exciting for that.
bobguild76

Postby lonewolf » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:47 pm

mump boy wrote:
HopStepJump wrote:I also had Carl Lewis winning the 96 long jump, but my vote would've been worth 16 points. I'm guessing that there might be 2 votes for Lewis.

I did not get around to submitting an entry but I thought Lewis' 96 LJ win was more momentous. He was on the bubble in both Qualifying and Prelims. I don't think many people thought he had another OG LJ Gold in him.
I was the pit judge for Qualifying when Lewis was struggling to make it into the Finals and flight coordinator for Finals. I was standing three feet from Powell when Lewis made the winning jump. Powell was injured and deflated visibly, knowing it was over.
lonewolf

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:18 am

I picked Walcott as my 20th choice cos a Junior Champion has no right to win a Goldie but what a surprise which nobody could forsee. Has any current Junior world champion in a field event also become OG Champion?

Brasher I chose cos I bought the evening edition of the London Evening Standard a week before the Melbourne games and noted in the stop press that Brasher had run a big PB in a straight track race as warm up and thought "goodness could it be, surely not"; he was clearly in great form , but there were too many other favs for him to win... then the excitement of hearing him win and the depths of sadness when he was DQed for bumping illegally, and finally due to the honesty of Larssen and Rosnyoi, he was rightly reinstated. Admitted he was blind drunk when receiving his Gold medal on the rostrum.
lionelp1

Postby Flumpy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:21 am

lionelp1 wrote:I picked Walcott as my 20th choice cos a Junior Champion has no right to win a Goldie but what a surprise which nobody could forsee. Has any current Junior world champion in a field event also become OG Champion?

Kamila Skolimowska was the reigning world Youth champion when she won in Sydney!!! :shock:
Flumpy

Postby Gabriella » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:27 am

A few more of mine have come up.

1996 Atlanta - Wang Junxia 5k/10k. I chose this because she somewhat silenced the doubters. After that surreal season in 93 and a good 94, she split up with Ma Junren in 95 and changed coach. Nobody expected her to compete again. But she returned in 96 in good form. The Olympic 5k was not a great race or fast time, but the field allowed Wang to establish a lead and she just jogged round unchallenged. I remember thinking it was handed to her on a plate. The 10k was a different story. Again Wang established a lead (this time toward the end with a long run for home) but the fantastic Ribeiro did not give up and gradually ate into the lead. With a final burst she overtook Wang meters from the line. So close to a double, but silver and gold was a great way to end a controversial career.

1988 Seoul - John Ngugi 5k. This really sticks in my mind. He was superb on the grass but never quite got it right on the track. I had a mini obsession with him when I was a child about his physique - I couldnt get my head around his proportions and long legs! This race was great because he committed and by 1k had a 50m lead. But unlike Rome where he was completely run out he kept going, his languid style taking him to gold. But the other memorable thing about the race was poor old Castro. He was the only athlete to try and catch Ngugi, he tried his darnest to close him down, but on the last lap the big kickers were bearing down on him. He went from silver to bronze as Baumann took him, then Kunze came from nowhere and stole that too. He was absolutely devastated.
Gabriella

Postby Rog » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:51 am

Five (!) of mine have already come up; Kazankina, Oliszaryenko, 1980 women's 4x400, Richard Whitehead and David Weir.

Kazankina/Oliszaryenko - In the UK, the big hype for 1980 was the clash between Ovett and Coe. I was a kid, it was my first Olympics and I remember reading forecasts of the titanic confrontations to come and thinking they would be the pinnacle of athletics. What we got were two mediocre races where first Ovett, then Coe, followed their rivals until the home straight, then kicked for victory. Each claimed one gold and ran like a goon in the other race. It was great that they each won a gold, but objectively their events were overshadowed by plenty of other performances. Even their biggest fans couldn't claim we saw the best of either Ovett or Coe. We live in the age of hype however and now when you see articles about the Olympics of the past, these two are still dug up as the supreme examples of achievement in Moscow 1980. No-one mentions that they were athletically outshone by their female counterparts Nadezhda Oliszaryenko and Tatyana Kazankina. Oliszaryenko had just set a new world record in the 800, but was still only just faster than her colleague Olga Mineyeva, who had already beaten her that year, so to win her gold she ran hard from the start and front ran a new world record by 1 1/2 seconds. Kazankina had also just set a new world record, in the 1500, but she was up against the vastly improved Oliszaryenko. In her case she kicked with 600 to go, then again at the start of the last lap, and defended her 1500 title with a 2 minute last 800 (the UK 800 record was only just faster). The two Soviet women were fantastic, showing the bravery and commitment lacking in Ovett and Coe, and the impression they made - of supreme athletic achievement when it was most needed - overshadowed the two Brits in my eyes.
Rog

Postby Rog » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:52 am

1980 women's 4x400 - I've never seen complete footage of this race since, but from memory it was a clash between the two best teams in the world, who raced home over 7 seconds clear of bronze. The Soviets won, largely due to an injury to the GDR 3rd leg, but it was a great race, with a dramatic anchor leg by Marita Koch that only just missed gold. The Soviets had been up to their shenanigans, making last minute substitutes to bring their two best runners fresh into the team, but the memory is of a fantastic race. Also the UK squad got the bronze despite the two strongest runners both running below par - Donna Hartley just pipped the Romanians for the medal on the line.

Richard Whitehead Paralympics 2012 - I loved the Paralympics, and this was one of the most dramatic races of all. Whitehead was competing as a double amputee and came into the straight in his 200 well down, but in the latter stages he cut through the field like a knife through butter to take gold. It was fantastically exciting. The big memory was of him flashing a double biceps pose in celebration - he looked awesome, and I remember thinking his upper body was probably bigger than mine!

David Weir Paralympics 2012 - He had just won his 3rd gold medal and was being interviewed. He was the UK star of the games but he seemed completely dour and unemotional because he still had one more race to go, and until he'd won the marathon he hadn't achieved his aim. He was plainly exhausted, but he'd set his sights high and he wouldn't relax until his objective had been achieved. His level of focus and dedication was a supreme example of the dedication required to be an Olympic superstar. He was my star of the 2012 Olympics.
Rog

Postby Rog » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:56 am

Wang's 5k just missed my list - she won the 5k looking easy, after having already run qualifying for both the 5k and 10k finals. She passed Konga with two laps to go and seemed to run well within herself to win easily. The 10k was a better race, but by then Wang had suffered diarrhoea and was too weakened to hold Ribeira off in the home straight. I loved watching Wang run, and her performances in 93 were the pinnacle of women's 3000 and 10000 running. Not even an in-form Dibaba has impressed me so much since. She wasn't as good in 96, but I was pleased to see she won a couple of Olympic medals nevertheless, including a gold.
Rog

Postby Gabriella » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:59 am

1996 Atlanta - Dan O'Brien Decathlon. I love the multis, they are my favourite events,and I could have easily have filled my top 20 with them (Daley v FRG was nearly in, as was Sebrle from 04)
I chose this because O'Brien finally achieved what he should have done in 1992. The harsh US trials system saw him miss out on going to Barcelona, but he came back with the WR and then another couple of world titles. O'Brien was the favourite in Atlanta, but what made this great was the unexpected the challenge from the young Busemann. O'Brien was tested all the way through the competition, with Busemann setting some great marks such as that 8.07 LJ and 13.47 100mh :shock: O'Brien had a 200+ lead going into the 1500m but Busemann was faster, but O'Brien just did what he had to do. I love this quote from him:

"I knew that I had it won with two laps left. So even though the pain was there, I couldn't help but smile.I had been thinking about that moment for four years. It has been very stressful. Even here, what kept ringing in my ears was the Olympic Games and the gold medal. I couldn't settle for anything else.So I can't describe what it felt like then. It was just an incredible feeling."
Gabriella

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:21 am

Flumpy wrote:
lionelp1 wrote:I picked Walcott as my 20th choice cos a Junior Champion has no right to win a Goldie but what a surprise which nobody could forsee. Has any current Junior world champion in a field event also become OG Champion?

Kamila Skolimowska was the reigning world Youth champion when she won in Sydney!!! :shock:

The Polish woman went to the Junior Worlds a few months later and did not even qualify for the Hammer Final. How sad she died so young!!!
lionelp1

Postby Gabriella » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:35 am

1996 Atlanta - Wyludda/Kumberness. Mump was generous and allowed me to have this as a moment, though I had originally included this under a generic German throwers under both Barcelona and Atlanta!

I chose this because these were two women who, like O'Brien above, were finally destined to get the gold they deserved. When you see an athlete that has been dominant or a favourite miss out and then come back four years later it really is destiny. Wyludda was unlucky in 88 not being selected for Seoul despite throwing over 70m. Then in 1992 she had an awful meet in Barcelona, finishing 9th. She was dominant on the GP circuit in the 90's but twice came up against women at the world champs too who 'came out of nowhere' to win gold - in 1991 Khristova produced an amazing 71.02 throw and in 1995 Zvereva shocked with a first round 68+. She maintained her form to 96 and finally in Atlanta won gold in a SB of 69.66, winning by over 3m. For me, this is all the more poignant since she had her leg amputated after infection.

Kumberness didnt quite have the same bad luck and her win in Atlanta wasn't as great, but she managed to win with a, for her, mediocre distance. This wasnt the dominant win like she had in 95 or the great battle like she had in 97, but it was a deserved win after not making it to Barcelona.

I'd like to make an honourable mention - Katrin Neimke. SP silver medalist from Seoul (after wrestling that medal by 1cm in the last round) she continued post Berlin Wall and won SP bronze in Barcelona 92 by 8cm, jumping from 4th to 3rd...in the last round. She did this in the Wch in 93 too, going from 4th to bronze in the last round! A fantastic competitor.

Some may disagree, but these women were finally rewarded after all those hard years training under the GDR regime.
Gabriella

Postby mump boy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:23 am

LopenUupunut wrote:
What's up with this one? It isn't mine, but it's still off some way or other; Nurmi won the 10k. Ritola did win the 5k, though (after both of them had been slightly injured in the steeplechase heats). So either the distance is wrong, the names are reversed or someone picked a non-existent moment :)

Mmm

I'll check this out
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:25 am

lonewolf wrote:
mump boy wrote:

I did not get around to submitting an entry but I thought Lewis' 96 LJ win was more momentous. He was on the bubble in both Qualifying and Prelims. I don't think many people thought he had another OG LJ Gold in him.
I was the pit judge for Qualifying when Lewis was struggling to make it into the Finals and flight coordinator for Finals. I was standing three feet from Powell when Lewis made the winning jump. Powell was injured and deflated visibly, knowing it was over.

It was, which is why it may turn up later !!

Patience :)
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:26 am

Rog wrote:Five (!) of mine have already come up; Kazankina, Oliszaryenko, 1980 women's 4x400, Richard Whitehead and David Weir.

Kazankina/Oliszaryenko - In the UK, the big hype for 1980 was the clash between Ovett and Coe. I was a kid, it was my first Olympics and I remember reading forecasts of the titanic confrontations to come and thinking they would be the pinnacle of athletics. What we got were two mediocre races where first Ovett, then Coe, followed their rivals until the home straight, then kicked for victory. Each claimed one gold and ran like a goon in the other race. It was great that they each won a gold, but objectively their events were overshadowed by plenty of other performances. Even their biggest fans couldn't claim we saw the best of either Ovett or Coe. We live in the age of hype however and now when you see articles about the Olympics of the past, these two are still dug up as the supreme examples of achievement in Moscow 1980. No-one mentions that they were athletically outshone by their female counterparts Nadezhda Oliszaryenko and Tatyana Kazankina. Oliszaryenko had just set a new world record in the 800, but was still only just faster than her colleague Olga Mineyeva, who had already beaten her that year, so to win her gold she ran hard from the start and front ran a new world record by 1 1/2 seconds. Kazankina had also just set a new world record, in the 1500, but she was up against the vastly improved Oliszaryenko. In her case she kicked with 600 to go, then again at the start of the last lap, and defended her 1500 title with a 2 minute last 800 (the UK 800 record was only just faster). The two Soviet women were fantastic, showing the bravery and commitment lacking in Ovett and Coe, and the impression they made - of supreme athletic achievement when it was most needed - overshadowed the two Brits in my eyes.

I LOVE this ^^
mump boy

Postby Pego » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:29 am

Bill Peck, a knowledgeable track guy, was watching the discus closely

I had a good fortune to meet Bill Peck at the 2000 OT's. I never personally met anybody with deeper knowledge of T&F than Bill. He was compiling history of California high school championships at that time. I wonder if he succeeded, never met or heard from him again.
Pego

Postby mump boy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:31 am

Thanks for all these great memories, this is EXACTLY how this thread is supposed to work :D

Hopefully i'll be able to post more this evening but i'mlocked out of my flat at the moment :(
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:18 am

mump boy wrote:
LopenUupunut wrote:

Mmm

I'll check this out

I'm sorry to was the 5k now amended
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:55 am

11 points

m4x4 04
JJK Hep 92
Tasha Danvers bronze 08
Olga and Hal Connolly romance 56
Bill Miller v Shuhei Nishida PV 32][
\
12 points

Valerie SP win 12
Heli Rantanen JT 96
W HJ Kostandinova v Biagiani 96
Pekka Vasala 1500m 72
Wilbur Moose Thompson Sp 48
Harri Larva v Jules Ladoumegue 1500m 28
Jonathan Edwards TJ Gold 2000
Nils Schumann 800m 2000

13 points

Bridget Foster Hylton fall 100mh 12
Arnold (Strode-)Jackson vs the Americans (Abel Kiviat, Norman Taber, J.P. Jones and Mel Sheppard) in men's 1500 in Stockholm 1912
Klaus Wolfermann beats Janis Lusis by 2cm in Munich 1972

14 points

Tapio Korjus JT victory 88
Victor Sanayev TJ win 68
Josef Odlozil1500m silver 56
Isi win and WR 08

15 points

GDR w4x100 80
Anatoly Bonderchuk HT win 72
Peter Snell 1500m 64
Tommy Hampson v Alex Wilson 800m 36

16 points

Paula Ivan 1500m victory 88
wDT Stefanie Trafton 08
m 4x100 12
Lance Deal Hammer silver 96
Bert Cameron 400m Semi injury 84
Marita Koch 400m 80
Peter Snell 800m 64
Lutz Long gives Jessie Owen advice in LJ 36
Pat O'Callaghan m HT 36

17 points

Tirunesh Dibaba double 08
Denise Lewis Hep win 00
Shelly Anne Fraser 100m victory 08
Emil Zatopek congratulates Alain Mimoun after Marathon victory '56
Jonni Myyra JT 20

18 points

Maria Mutola 800m 2000
Johnny Peacock 100m Para 12
Maurice Greene 100m 00
NZ double gold in 1 evening Peter Snell/Murray Halberg
Paavo Nurmi XC win 24

19 points

Barbra Spotakova win over Abukamova JT 08
Heike Dreschler LJ win 92
Frank Shorter Marathon Victory 72

20 Points

Rinka Babka gives Al Oerter advice DT 60
Otis Davis 1960 400m
Hannes Kolehmainen v Jean Bouin 5k 20
Dieter Baumann wins 5k 92
2012 Watching live the BBC announcement of the disqualification of Ostapchuk and being the first to report it on TnF message board with GH challenging me, literally a few seconds after my posting, to justify my posting 2012
Last edited by mump boy on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
mump boy

Postby Atanvarno » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:09 am

Wow, I would have bet money, that my no. 1 would come up with one lonely vote, but it seems that someone else shares fond memories of that race
Atanvarno

Postby DecFan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:54 am

Three of my moments - including my top 2! - were listed by me alone. In each case there were personal factors that made these moments particularly special:

Jenner 76 decathlon: Because an American was the favorite, the entire decathlon was covered well by US TV. I was 20 at the time - a distance runner, but a fan of the entire sport. However, I had never followed a complete decathlon. I was entranced with the ebb and flow of the multis. It was a few more decades before the decathlon became my favorite of all track events, but the '76 decathlon was the beginning. BTW, there's a pretty decent summary of that '76 decathlon on youtube.

My number 2: Frank Shorter's Munich win. Sixteen at the time and with only two track seasons under my belt, watching Pre and Shorter run in Munich led me to make running a lifelong passion and not just a sport to engage in for a few years. And Shorter was more influential for me - perhaps partially because he won and Pre didn't, but also for the multi-year consistency of his training and his continued excellence over the years. Again, the quality of the US TV broadcast surely had an impact: Because Shorter was one of the favorites, the marathon was covered well. And - what is hard to believe now - at the time I actually enjoyed Erich Segal's commentary.

My number 1: Geb vs Tergat and the Kenyan team in '96. Mump pm'ed me to make sure I meant '96 rather than 2000. The last 200m of the Sydney race are fantastic - but the '96 race was for me a beauty start to finish - in part because I was there, and in part because my time of living in Kenya was still recent. I had good seats, was with my wife and two oldest children, and before the race explained to them and the people around us Geb's strengths, Tergat's strengths, and the likely team tactics of the Kenyans. Then the Kenyans and Geb both played their cards exactly right. Tergat threw in a 61 with 2k to go, and only Geb went with him. When Geb spurted with 1 lap to go, he gained a few yards, but Tergat clawed a few feet back, and from our vantage point it looked like he might be able to close the gap. In the end the results were not as close as Sydney, but for me the race was a marvel.
DecFan

Postby LopenUupunut » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Practically all of my top 10 just turned up. OK, so I knew my list was highly esoteric :)
mump boy wrote: 11 points
Bill Miller v Shuhei Nishida PV 36
'32, actually. Mump seems to have filed all my '32 moments under '36 for some unclear reason, but no big deal :)

Great competition. Tens of thousands of people cheering. Nishida beating the other Americans in a huge upset, jumping record after record after record... finally, the home crowd exploding when Miller did eventually win. What more can you wish for?

I'm not the only one who found this captivating... the discus throw officials completely missed Jules Noël's best throw as they were too busy watching the pole vault.
mump boy wrote: 12 points
Harri Larva v Jules Ladoumegue 1500m 28
Baby, yes. That was one exciting race. It's listed here as Larva vs. Ladoumègue (which, indeed, is how I submitted it) but a fuller description would be Larva & Purje vs. Ladoumègue. Those three were clearly the class of the field; Larva was supposed to be the top Finn but it wouldn't have been shocking if Purje beat him.

Purje gets kicked about a bit in the initial mayhem but survives and takes the lead after the first lap. Throughout the race, Larva and Ladoumègue keep a close eye on each other, each clearly regarding the other as their main opponent. Eventually Ladoumègue makes his move, catches up with Purje and attacks with 300 to go. Purje does his best to answer, and the two open quite a gap on Larva. As they enter the final curve, Ladoumègue turns the speed up yet another notch, not wanting to do extra distance. He takes the lead and sprints away...

...and here, at long last, comes Larva! Ladoumègue has a huge lead but has spent too much energy passing Purje. His legs are screaming in pain; the mind knows exactly what to do, but the body is unwilling to do it. Even with fifty metres to go, Larva is still well behind, but momentum is clearly on his side... Ladoumègue can't raise his legs anymore... the seconds tick away painfully slowly... Ladoumègue seems to be slowing down every painful step... with a tired but determined grimace, Larva slides past him and says goodbye with twenty metres to go, breaking the tape a triumphant champion as the audience roars.

Next moments in next post thanks to character limit :)
LopenUupunut

PreviousNext