Can Trindon Holliday make it in the NFL?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Can Trindon Holliday make it in the NFL?

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Not sure if you are kidding. He drops the ball after taking several steps in the end zone (near the back). It is a TD as soon as it crosses the line, no feet or any part of his body need be in the end zone.
26mi235

Postby gh » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:28 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:...
I fully understand what gh is saying about shorter sprinters being physiologically suited for better starts and taller sprinters being physiologically suited for better finishes, and that shorter sprinters rely on faster turnover while taller sprinter rely on longer stride length. Hell, everyone on this board knows those things. But what I categorically reject is gh's theory that had Holliday chosen pro track over pro football, he would have been physiologically incapable of improving on his college PR over the next three to four years ....

I never said Holliday was "physiologically incapable" or anything like it! After you originally posited that he might have improved up to 0.20 had he stuck with track I said, simply, "at his height, I'm guessing not."

I then went on to say (in a nutshell) that it's far easier for a tall guy to improve the first half of his race than it is for a short guy to improve the second half of his. That's all.

History is littered with short guys (and guyettes) who simply couldn't cope in the second half of the race. So the empirical evidence suggested (and still suggests) to me that neither Holliday nor any other guy of his height (whether he goes to LSU or not) is likely to be running 9.80 any time soon.

Interesting stat that's cheating to throw out, but note that Holliday was 23 when he got his PR. So was Usain Bolt, and he has had 3 seasons since and has not improved his PR. Maybe he'll never get any faster either!

ps--as a board-certified member of the short-legged-guys brigade, there's nothing I'd like better than for a guy with a 29-inch inseam to run 9.80.
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:30 pm

gh wrote:History is littered with short guys (and guyettes) who simply couldn't cope in the second half of the race.

Jeter is not all that tall, and she stands about SAFP, who won in part because she could hold off Jeter's finish when Jeter got a decent start. Since those two have 10.6 and 10.7-low times that would be relatively in the Tyson Gay ballpark, it might not be so important for women (and Ashford was not particularly tall either, was she?
26mi235

Postby gh » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:14 pm

The top 5 women in the 2011 World Rankings, height in meters:

1. Jeter 1.63
2. VCB 1.63
3. Baptiste 1.60
4. SAFP 1.60

so actually, Jeter is tall! :mrgreen:

ps—the poster girl for short sprinters is Nelli Cooman at 1.58. Twice the world indoor 60 champ, but only made the 100 World Rankings once, and that at #10.
gh

Postby BruceFlorman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:24 am

26mi235 wrote:Not sure if you are kidding. He drops the ball after taking several steps in the end zone (near the back). It is a TD as soon as it crosses the line, no feet or any part of his body need be in the end zone.
Check out the video replay here:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000094174/article/nfl-trindon-holliday-td-for-denver-broncos-a-mistake
Especially note the last 5 seconds or so. It's pretty clear.
BruceFlorman

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:31 am

gh wrote:I never said Holliday was "physiologically incapable" or anything like it! After you originally posited that he might have improved up to 0.20 had he stuck with track I said, simply, "at his height, I'm guessing not."

Let's be precise with our language. Here were my exact words:
the history of college sprinters suggests that Holliday would have eventually knocked another 0.10s to 0.20s off his college PR had he had chosen pro track over pro football

Translation: He would have likely lowered his PR to between 9.80 and 9.90 (similar to other sprinters who were one to two inches taller than him).

gh wrote:I then went on to say (in a nutshell) that it's far easier for a tall guy to improve the first half of his race than it is for a short guy to improve the second half of his. That's all.

History is littered with short guys (and guyettes) who simply couldn't cope in the second half of the race. So the empirical evidence suggested (and still suggests) to me that neither Holliday nor any other guy of his height (whether he goes to LSU or not) is likely to be running 9.80 any time soon.

Interesting stat that's cheating to throw out, but note that Holliday was 23 when he got his PR. So was Usain Bolt, and he has had 3 seasons since and has not improved his PR. Maybe he'll never get any faster either!

ps--as a board-certified member of the short-legged-guys brigade, there's nothing I'd like better than for a guy with a 29-inch inseam to run 9.80.

You've made some good points, but here are some other things to remember about Holliday.

1) He was 23 when he ran multiple 10.00's and 10.01's but he ran 10.02 at age 21.

2) Unlike Bolt, as well as Rodgers, Frater and other relatively short sprinters who improved their PR's after college, Holliday has never been a full-time track guy.

3) The history of the sport shows that when a sprinter or hurdler is running consistently fast times close to his/her PR, they're usually due for a big PR improvement when they catch that perfect race in which the conditions are ideal (eg. wind, temperature and humidity) as well as the stars being aligned just right. A classic example of this was Aries Merritt this past summer:

12.80 BOOM

In Holliday's last three races as a collegian, he ran 10.01, 10.00 and 10.00. What might he have done had he headed to Europe that summer and ran on the circuit? Is it that hard to believe he would have run low 9.9's when the conditions were perfect and the stars were lined up right?
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:36 am

gh wrote:The top 5 women in the 2011 World Rankings, height in meters:

1. Jeter 1.63
2. VCB 1.63
3. Baptiste 1.60
4. SAFP 1.60

ps—the poster girl for short sprinters is Nelli Cooman at 1.58. Twice the world indoor 60 champ, but only made the 100 World Rankings once, and that at #10.

I presume you've seen all of these women up close, including SAFP. When I stood next to her, I was shocked at how tiny she was. I doubt that she's 5'3". For the most part I agree with you on the limitations of short sprinters. It's hard for me to imagine someone Trindon Holliday's height running sub-9.8. However, several years ago I began to reassess my previously held assumptions. First, it was when Lauryn Wiliams burst onto the scene, and proved that she could hold her own outdoors with women 6 to 8 inches taller than her. Then SAFP came along and ran 10.70. Prior to her doing it, did you think someone as short as SAFP was capable of running 10.70? Also, if these previously held theories have been disproved with regards to women, shouldn't similar logic apply to the men?
jazzcyclist

Postby gh » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01 am

jazzcyclist wrote:....
3) The history of the sport shows that when a sprinter or hurdler is running consistently fast times close to his/her PR, they're usually due for a big PR improvement when they catch that perfect race in which the conditions are ideal (eg. wind, temperature and humidity) as well as the stars being aligned just right. A classic example of this was Aries Merritt this past summer:

12.80 BOOM

sorry, don't think hurdlers are a proper part of the equation here. There's that little thing called technique for hurdlers.

Merritt has been quoted as saying that his switch from 8-step to 7-step approach last winter "just kept getting better all season."
gh

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:17 am

gh wrote:his switch from 8-step to 7-step approach last winter "just kept getting better all season."

Aye, the difference is he hadn't quite figured out how best to get to that first hurdle using the 7SA. In the 12.80 he 'nailed' it. I expect him to dabble in the 12.8s a lot more next season, even if he never gets a 12.7, which he may well not. As noted above, for that to happen, the stars must align properly also. For a sprinter to improve, he primarily has to get stronger, so his push-off (stride length) improves. The turn-over will only marginally improve as he adapts his system to a faster cadence.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:10 pm

What other hurdlers besides Merritt use seven steps?
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:56 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:What other hurdlers besides Merritt use seven steps?

The elite: Robles, Oliver, and Liu (among only a few others, like Dwight Thomas).
Marlow

Postby eroszag » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:42 am

Another solid day in the office ...2 returns, 46 average, longest a 50 yarder
eroszag

Postby 18.99s » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:15 am

jazzcyclist wrote:I presume you've seen all of these women up close, including SAFP. When I stood next to her, I was shocked at how tiny she was. I doubt that she's 5'3". For the most part I agree with you on the limitations of short sprinters. It's hard for me to imagine someone Trindon Holliday's height running sub-9.8. However, several years ago I began to reassess my previously held assumptions. First, it was when Lauryn Wiliams burst onto the scene, and proved that she could hold her own outdoors with women 6 to 8 inches taller than her. Then SAFP came along and ran 10.70. Prior to her doing it, did you think someone as short as SAFP was capable of running 10.70? Also, if these previously held theories have been disproved with regards to women, shouldn't similar logic apply to the men?

When talking about short vs. tall you have to look at each sex separately. 5'3" for a woman is just one inch below average for their sex. 1 inch below average for a man would be 5'9", that's Maurice Greene's height.
18.99s

Postby Blues » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:32 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
gh wrote:The top 5 women in the 2011 World Rankings, height in meters:

1. Jeter 1.63
2. VCB 1.63
3. Baptiste 1.60
4. SAFP 1.60

I presume you've seen all of these women up close, including SAFP. When I stood next to her, I was shocked at how tiny she was. I doubt that she's 5'3".

I'd imagine gh HAS seen all these women up close, but I also think it's safe to say that SAFP is considerably more than 0.03m shorter than Jeter and VCB.

Based on any picture of the 3 athletes together that I've seen, the disparity in height is noticeably more than .03 meters, which is 1.18 inches. The London Olympics athlete bio page lists SAFP's height as 1.52 meters, or 5 feet even, unlike the JamaicaOlympic site that seems to have used the basketball method of listing height, adding a few inches and listing her as 1.60m, or 5'3", evidently hoping she'd get drafted by an NBA team.. :wink: 1.52m (5'0") seems to match the photo evidence a lot better, and means a really short sprinter really IS the fastest in the world..

Photos 42, 43, & 44 in the link below give an idea of the height differential of the ladies.

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Shelly-Ann ... HgBVSF6qfH
Blues

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Based on what 18.99 and Blues have posted above, the heights of SAFP and Holliday are about the same percentile relative to their respective sexes.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:16 pm

Today, Holliday became the first man to ever return both a kickoff and a punt for a touchdown in an NFL playoff game.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... a/1829261/

Geaux Trindon!
jazzcyclist

Postby gh » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:39 pm

can he outrun Kaepernick? :mrgreen:
gh

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:43 am

gh wrote:can he outrun Kaepernick? :mrgreen:

He seems to be about the same size of Ryan Bailey, so who knows?

What's ironic is that the latest trend in the NFL seems to be adopting college offenses (eg. Washington, San Francisco, Seattle), while with the exception of Oregon, the college teams that have been the most successful in recent years have all run pro offenses (eg. Alabama, LSU, Stanford, Notre Dame).
jazzcyclist

Postby gh » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:24 am

Kaepernick reminds me of nothing so much as an Ashton Eaton who can throw. (and boy, can he!)
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:31 am

gh wrote:Kaepernick reminds me of nothing so much as an Ashton Eaton who can throw. (and boy, can he!)

Yea, that is right. Watching him on that 56 yard TD I was thinking he looked like a World class 400 runner. What a stride with those long shanks.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby scottmitchell74 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:23 am

Conor Dary wrote:
gh wrote:Kaepernick reminds me of nothing so much as an Ashton Eaton who can throw. (and boy, can he!)

Yea, that is right. Watching him on that 56 yard TD I was thinking he looked like a World class 400 runner. What a stride with those long shanks.

:shock: :shock: I was watching Sportcenter with the fellas at the fire station this morning and I said that exact thing to them, nearly verbatim, except I said "He's 6'6" instead of referencing his shanks specifically. :)
scottmitchell74

Previous