Okagbare and Madison

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Okagbare and Madison

Postby shivfan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:21 am

Were they right to switch from the long jump to the 100m?

Yes, there's more money and presitge in the 100m, and yes, concentrating on the sprints probably brings more invites to DL meets around the world, but has this switch damaged their ability to win precious metals at the major champs? Blessing Okagbare secured a bronze at the Beijing Olympics in 2008, I think, and I believe Tianna Madison was a champion in a previous World Champs. Now that they're concentrating on the 100m, both made it to the final at the London Olympics last year, but neither secured a medal....

Would they have been more likely to medal if they'd stuck to the long jump?
shivfan

Re: Okagbare and Madison

Postby j-a-m » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:39 am

shivfan wrote:has this switch damaged their ability to win precious metals at the major champs?

Madison has won a rather precious metal in the OG relay.
j-a-m

Postby ATK » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:07 am

I think they are just fine. Especially Madison. If you look at her LJ progression over the past 5 years, she hasn't been anywhere near what she used to do. And wouldn't have even factored on the world/US stage.

Okagbare got a LJ PR of 6.97 this past year. And you might have missed it, but she did compete in London...So she didn't switch, she just became a stronger competitor in the 100m
Last edited by ATK on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
ATK

Postby GDAWG » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:13 am

shivfan wrote:Were they right to switch from the long jump to the 100m?

Yes, there's more money and presitge in the 100m, and yes, concentrating on the sprints probably brings more invites to DL meets around the world, but has this switch damaged their ability to win precious metals at the major champs? Blessing Okagbare secured a bronze at the Beijing Olympics in 2008, I think, and I believe Tianna Madison was a champion in a previous World Champs. Now that they're concentrating on the 100m, both made it to the final at the London Olympics last year, but neither secured a medal....

Would they have been more likely to medal if they'd stuck to the long jump?

Madison? The answer to that is yes. As already mentioned she's a part of the gold medal 4 x 100 meter relay team and was a bronze medalist in the 60 meters at last year's World Indoor Championships and is the reigning US Indoor Champion at 60 Meters. And she finished fourth in the 100 meters in London, with a PR of 10.85.
GDAWG