Funny problems with T&FN subscription

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Funny problems with T&FN subscription

Postby BillVol » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:51 am

OK, not b1tching here -- just telling what I've been through with the nice person at subs@trackandfieldnews.com. I think he or she is trying and that is good enough for me. I'm trying, too -- just trying to get what my MIL paid for.

As I announced on the other board, I got a subscription to T&FN for Christmas. Yea! However, I was sent the January '12 edition instead of the January '13 edition for my first mailing, which came first class. I was so excited, I didn't even look at the date. And I'm sure more of a diehard than me would have picked up immediately that the issue was a year old. But what do I do but post info from it (being careful not to violate any copyright laws of course) onto a Vol board basically stating that Vol recruiting has gone into the dumpster. I also mentioned here that Mizzou and A&M were not listed in the SEC. Of course they weren't; it was a year old issue. "Hey, BillVol, you're an idiot. That's a year-old issue you're quoting from." Etc.

Humiliated, I write subs@trackandfieldnews.com to see if they could send me the current issue. A few back and forths with subs and they said they would send me the current issue. Today I got a mailing in another first class envelope, which is expensive and which I did not pay for. I got only the basic subscrption, I assume, so I felt a little guilty about getting two issues via first class mail. There was no need to send it first class but maybe you have to if you don't mail a mass mailing. On the label was "JAN" under my name, meaning (I assumed) the envelope contained the January issue, my favorite. Nope, I open it up and it is the February edition, with David Rudisha on the cover.

Well I already snuck a peek at the January '13 issue at the bookstore. It's not the same as going to bed with it or to the rest room, but I've seen enough of it to know that a year later, Vol recruiting is still in the dumpster. So I wrote subs back and said instead of mailing me the January '13 issue, via first class mail, just extend my subscription by one month, if possible.
Last edited by BillVol on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillVol

Re: Funny problems with T&FN subscription

Postby dukehjsteve » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:04 pm

The memories, the memories.... I still remember getting my very first issue in my initial subscription ( a big, big, day ! ) in an envelope as well, with the next and then all future issues then coming "bare" with the address blue-inked on the mailing address portion of the back page.

I'm holding those first 2 issues in my hand right now, from:

October 1958
November 1958
dukehjsteve

Postby BillVol » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:37 am

Update: The nice person at subs@trackandfieldnews.com replied and said not only will they extend my subscription by one issue "for my troubles," they will send me the January '13 issue, as well. Now that is customer service!
BillVol

Postby BillVol » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:46 am

Well, that was quick! The January issue made it all the way from Mountain View to just outside of Chattanooga in 2 or 3 days. The JAN on the envelope label was highlighted with neon yellow highlighter, which made me smile! This issue also came first class. Thanks to my friend at subs@trackandfieldnews.com!
BillVol