T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby bushop » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:04 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
bushop wrote:The IAAF and IOC have the treasure trove of track & field videos... esp the field events.
Cool? where?

They don't share. No one at IAAF will respond to my email requests. I'm afraid anything they think has the potential to be monetized will be kept in–house, event if they never offer it to the public. The IAAF seems to have little, if any, concern for coaches and athletes.
USATF has video from the recent US Championships. We were able to download what we wanted right after the meet on-site but no access after that.
bushop
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby CookyMonzta » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:55 pm

Marlow wrote:Top 10 off the top of my head (Men) . . . women later (hint: Stacy's and JJK's OG wins)

10. Edwards 60'
9. Bubka's 20'
8. Beamon 29'
7. Hayes 4x1 Tokyo anchor
6. Moses win streak
5. Oerter's 4th OG gold
4. Powell - Lewis Tokyo duel
3. Wottle 72 OG
2. MJ 19.32 - was there!
1. Eaton Dec WR -was there! My wife and I went hoarse screaming on the 1500 last lap, and then wept openly in joy at his straining finish.

Someone may have beaten me to this already (I have yet to look further down), but Jon didn't jump 60' in the Olympics; he did that at the '95 Worlds. These are supposed to be Olympic moments, yes? Then the LJ duel in Tokyo doesn't count, either. Or am I missing something that I have yet to read in this post?
CookyMonzta
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby nevetsllim » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:52 pm

My choices are rather vanilla as I've only been a fully-fledged fan for two Olympics. I've included a few older ones but the majority are from 2004 onwards.
nevetsllim
 
Posts: 6261
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:54 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:26 am

CookyMonzta wrote:
Marlow wrote:Top 10 off the top of my head (Men) . . . women later (hint: Stacy's and JJK's OG wins)

10. Edwards 60'
9. Bubka's 20'
8. Beamon 29'
7. Hayes 4x1 Tokyo anchor
6. Moses win streak
5. Oerter's 4th OG gold
4. Powell - Lewis Tokyo duel
3. Wottle 72 OG
2. MJ 19.32 - was there!
1. Eaton Dec WR -was there! My wife and I went hoarse screaming on the 1500 last lap, and then wept openly in joy at his straining finish.

Someone may have beaten me to this already (I have yet to look further down), but Jon didn't jump 60' in the Olympics; he did that at the '95 Worlds. These are supposed to be Olympic moments, yes? Then the LJ duel in Tokyo doesn't count, either. Or am I missing something that I have yet to read in this post?


You're not missing anything, i'm no sure Marlow can read :P he's only given 10 and 5 of them don't count

Back to the drawing board please you have till tomorrow night :D
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby KDFINE » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:47 am

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I "PM mump boy"?
KDFINE
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby LopenUupunut » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:01 am

KDFINE wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but how do I "PM mump boy"?
Click the PM icon in any of his posts (it's on the side, below his name, location, # of posts etc.), or alternatively go here and manually add him as the recipient of the message.
LopenUupunut
 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Sleeping in Finland

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:13 am

KDFINE wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but how do I "PM mump boy"?


I've just sent you a PM you can reply to me if it's easier :D
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:55 pm

To avoid confusion i'm closing this at 12 midnight T&FN time

so you have around 22 hours to get your nominations in

Give me a day or 2 to add up and iron out any anomalies and we should have results from Wed

(I think don't shout at me if i get all confused and it takes a bit longer)
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Tuariki » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:56 pm

Who is this moronic idiot making such a posting?

Is this the twisted individual who has been responsible for all of the "attack" warnings?

Sorry GH. I have a habit of using those words on occasion.
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby gh » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:59 am

You're apparently under the impression that the "idiot" is some human being. These things are computer-generated by spambots.

And they have nothing to do with the malware warning. They were here before that happened, and they'll be part of our (our = the e-world in general) landscape for eternity.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby KDFINE » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:20 am

Thanks for the explanation of PM. I think I got my picks in.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby bobguild76 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:39 am

gh wrote:You're apparently under the impression that the "idiot" is some human being. These things are computer-generated by spambots.

And they have nothing to do with the malware warning. They were here before that happened, and they'll be part of our (our = the e-world in general) landscape for eternity.


If, in fact, spambots are to be a part of this landscape ... is there any chance you can delete them as you do other inappropriate posts? Not the spambots (I wish!), but the posts.
bobguild76
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:37 pm

It's almost midnight here in the UK so i'm going to bed, if any of our US chums want to enter over night i'm happy to accept

consider entries open until i get up and post that it's closed
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Daisy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:59 pm

I just sent you a PM, in under the wire, I hope.

mump boy wrote:it doesn't matter if it's not your 100% 20 favourites you could do it in 10 mins :-)

I'm glad you're not looking for consistency here. I went the 10 minute route.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:29 am

Daisy wrote:I just sent you a PM, in under the wire, I hope.

mump boy wrote:it doesn't matter if it's not your 100% 20 favourites you could do it in 10 mins :-)

I'm glad you're not looking for consistency here. I went the 10 minute route.


It's just a bit of fun and an excuse to reminisce :D

Now closed

Unless i have any unforseen problems (i haven't looked at most of the entries yet) results will start on Wed
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby KDFINE » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:39 am

If you have the time and inclination it might be interesting to show how voters from the USA polled as opposed to the rest of the world (or any regions or countries that you receive a bunch of replies from). Please indicate how many participants you garnered.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks everyone for your entries

I have 26 correct (with a few clarifications i've PM people about)

I also have 3 incomplete entries one with 10 one with 5 and one with 1 !!

is there any objection if i just add these in with the rest ? or does it mess up the scoring ?

Also this is going to take longer than anticipated to add up some are quite complicated so don't hold your breathe for Wed
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby bobguild76 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:54 pm

mump boy wrote:Thanks everyone for your entries

I have 26 correct (with a few clarifications i've PM people about)

I also have 3 incomplete entries one with 10 one with 5 and one with 1 !!

is there any objection if i just add these in with the rest ? or does it mess up the scoring ?

Also this is going to take longer than anticipated to add up some are quite complicated so don't hold your breathe for Wed


Awesome work, mump boy! Better to be well done on Thu (or later) than hurried on Wed. We're all looking forward, but take your time. :D
bobguild76
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Flumpy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:00 pm

mump boy wrote:I also have 3 incomplete entries one with 10 one with 5 and one with 1 !!

is there any objection if i just add these in with the rest ? or does it mess up the scoring ?


10 may be fine but a single vote shouldn't be counted. It's a dead cert 20 points for whatever moment is chosen which gives it a huge advantage over other entries. Everyone else will have a descending order of favourite that gives points to everything on the list.
Flumpy
 
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Daisy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Flumpy wrote:
mump boy wrote:I also have 3 incomplete entries one with 10 one with 5 and one with 1 !!

is there any objection if i just add these in with the rest ? or does it mess up the scoring ?


10 may be fine but a single vote shouldn't be counted. It's a dead cert 20 points for whatever moment is chosen which gives it a huge advantage over other entries. Everyone else will have a descending order of favourite that gives points to everything on the list.


How about use it as a tie breaker, if needed?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:07 am

I can assure you it will make no difference to the leader board !!
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby TN1965 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:34 am

mump boy wrote:Thanks everyone for your entries

I have 26 correct (with a few clarifications i've PM people about)

I also have 3 incomplete entries one with 10 one with 5 and one with 1 !!

is there any objection if i just add these in with the rest ? or does it mess up the scoring ?

Also this is going to take longer than anticipated to add up some are quite complicated so don't hold your breathe for Wed


Here is my suggestion for the incomplete entry.

Assign 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 to the entry with 10.
5-4-3-2-1 to the entry with 5.
And 1 pt to the entry with 1.

I understand the number of "votes" count more than the points. So their entries should count for votes, but their points should count less because they did not complete the poll.

Is that fair enough?
TN1965
 
Posts: 1187
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:38 pm

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Daisy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:27 pm

"Is that fair enough?"

Sounds like a perfect solution.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:35 pm

TN1965 wrote:
mump boy wrote:Thanks everyone for your entries

I have 26 correct (with a few clarifications i've PM people about)

I also have 3 incomplete entries one with 10 one with 5 and one with 1 !!

is there any objection if i just add these in with the rest ? or does it mess up the scoring ?

Also this is going to take longer than anticipated to add up some are quite complicated so don't hold your breathe for Wed


Here is my suggestion for the incomplete entry.

Assign 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 to the entry with 10.
5-4-3-2-1 to the entry with 5.
And 1 pt to the entry with 1.

I understand the number of "votes" count more than the points. So their entries should count for votes, but their points should count less because they did not complete the poll.

Is that fair enough?


Perfect :-)
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:36 pm

You'll all be pleased to hear i am currently surrounded by loads of bit of paper but i'm in my living room not on a plane !! this may not be perfect but it is an improvement on last year :D
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:34 am

Don't hold your breath for this result, adding this up is really complicated. I've just spent an hour looking for a lost vote for Emil Zatopek :x
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Daisy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 am

mump boy wrote:I've just spent an hour looking for a lost vote


LOL, I think we've been down this road before. ;) Maybe your cat ate it?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:26 pm

Daisy wrote:
mump boy wrote:I've just spent an hour looking for a lost vote


LOL, I think we've been down this road before. ;) Maybe your cat ate it?


It's gonna be a long road and i don't even have a cat :(
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:20 am

I've finished counting now but i'm just waiting for clarification from a couple of people. If i've PM's you please answer asap or i'm just going to make a decision myself

I've still got to add everything up so there is still plenty of scope for me to mess up

I've not counted those who didn't submit full entries the person who entered 10 has no order, the person who entered 5 has a No1 that has nothing to do wit track and one who entered 1 is stupid !!

So we only have 23 entries, which should be easy enough to work out !!

Hopefully 1st results tomorrow
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Gabriella » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 am

I was thinking about this the other day and what you/we should have done is agreed the format from the outset, then you could have just shoved it in a spreadsheet to make it easier to sort:

Year...Games...Event...Athlete

So, Ennis's Olympic win would be:

2012...London...Heptathlon...Ennis

A double moment would be:

2008...Beijing...100/200...Bolt

A dual could be:

2012...London...100/200...Bolt/Blake

and some weird incidents that some may have picked, while still difficult to standardize, could be like the below, so easy to sort:

2004...Athens...Motorbike fiasco...Thanou/Kenteris
or

2000...Sydney...DNS...Perec

As long as we get the headline, the voters can then expand through our discussions.Anyway, too late now, but mental note for next time! :D
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Daisy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:52 am

Gabriella wrote:then you could have just shoved it in a spreadsheet to make it easier to sort

One problem. Mump and spreadsheets are mutually exclusive.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:18 am

Daisy wrote:
Gabriella wrote:then you could have just shoved it in a spreadsheet to make it easier to sort

One problem. Mump and spreadsheets are mutually exclusive.


This ^^

You think i mess up with a pen and paper ?? you should see me using Excell :?
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:23 pm

You will have first results sometime in the late hours of tonight

NEVER AGAIN

:cry: :cry: :cry:
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results 1 Vote

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:18 pm

Before i start posting results i just want to say

IT'S JUST A BIT OF FUN

if people insist on trying to make the thread decent into insults and arguments i'll just abandon it.

I have spent the literally the whole of today collating all of these results and trying to make sure there are no mistakes but i've still misplace one vote (i have 459 instead of 460) but that may just be me adding up wrong there could very well be 460 !!

I've PM's people for clarification but not everyone has got back to me so i've made educated guesses. Sometimes i've combined votes (multiple events at same games) sometimes i haven't if it was a specific moment within an event. There is probably no consistency so please don't bother complaining. If i've incorporated your 'Moment' into a bigger group please just lose it as a chance to explain and enlighten us of your specific moment.

The whole point of this thread is to encourage discussion during the slow winter months so please post and tell us why you chose specific events and everyone else please reply and give us your memories as well

Here goes :?
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results 1 Vote

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:34 pm

As there are so many of them i've left the description brief, i'll leave it to you to elaborate

1 VOTE

1 point

Cleaning stand on first day of dec 96
Keshorn Walcott winning JT 12
Robbie Grabatz bronze 12
w5k being crap 08
Debbie Flintoff King 400mh victory 88
Carl Lewis singing national anthem (there was no date on this and i'm not even sure it refers to OG moment in which case it may be DQ'd)
Jozef Plachy 800m 5th place 68
Jack Lovelock 1500m 36
Heikki Liimatainen team XC event 24
Greg Rutherford LJ 2012

2 points

Shelly Anne Fraser w100m 12
Deena Kastor bronze medal 04
Alan johnson 110h win 96
w 4x400 88
Shalagne Flanagan 10k bronze 08
Steve Hooker PV victory 08
Bob Schul 5k win 64
Percy Williams double 28

3 points

wHJ Chicherova v Barret 12
Ellen Van Langan 800m win 92
Tatyana Kazankina 1500m win 80
Milt Campbell Decathlon win
Eric Liddel 400m 24
Mel Sheppard v Harold Wilson 1500m 08
Robert Harting Discus 2012

4 points

Paula Radcliffe 08 marathon campaign (not 04 ?? :? )
Carolina Kluft Hep 04
Arsi Harju SP win 00
Nedehzda Olizarenko 800m victory 80
1980 Olympic boycott
Livio Berruti 200m 60
Chris Brasher steeple win 56
Adhemar Ferreira de Sliva TJ 56
Harold Abrahams 100m 24
BAH m4x400 2012

5 points

Hadi Soua'an Al-Somaily 400h silver 00
Wang Junxia 5k comback 96
m10k 92 Khalid Skah dq etc
w10k 92 Deratu v Elana lap of honour
Gerd Wessig HJ 80
Louis Delis short marked in DT 80
w 4x400 80
Borzov Sprint Double 72
Dean Macey decathlon 4th 2000

6 points

Richard Whitehead 200m victory paralympics 2012
HUN cheats 04
Carl Lewis Long jump victory 92
Mens Triple Jump cheating 80
Al Oerter DT 64
Lynn Davis LJ 64
Robert Shavlakadze HJ 60
Wilma Rudolph sprint double 60
Ed Moses 400h bronze 88

7 points

Bryan Clay decathlon win 08
Roman Sebrle Decathlon win 04
Vanderlie De Lima attacked in marathon getting bronze medal
Josep Pribilinic 20k walk victory first for Slovak athlete
Steeplechase 76
Al Oerter DT 56
Vebjorn Rodahl 800m 2000

8 points

David Weir triple paras 12
Francois Mbango Womens Triple Jump 08
John Ngugi 5k victory 88
Miklos Nemeth JT victory 76
Jiri Skobla SP 3rd 56

9 points

Yuliya Zaripova steeple chase win 12
Adam Nelson SP win 04
Virgilius Alekna mens DT 00
Dan O'brien Deca 96
1960 decathlon Rafer Johnson v Yang Chuan Kwang
Ritola beats Nurmi 5k 28

10 points

Natalya Antyuk 400mh 12
Wyludda and Kumbernuss German throws victories 96
Lee Evans m400m 68
Don Bragg victory stand tarzan yell
Last edited by mump boy on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results 1 Vote

Postby nevetsllim » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:17 pm

I picked the 2008 Olympic 5000m final for how memorably disappointing it was. The field was absolutely stacked and after being treated to an epic 10,000m race, it unfolded like a below-average race you'd see at the WAF. IIRC it was one of the most anticipated races on these forums in light of Dibaba's 14:11 WR and Defar's 14:12 a few weeks later (Shobukhova had also run 14:23 at the Russian Champs) but the end-product was a hugely anti-climactic affair. The winning time was about 55sec slower than Tiru's second-half in the 10,000m!

I also chose Radcliffe's Beijing campaign. I couldn't choose Athens as I was only in my infancy of being a track fan and I don't even think I watched the race! However I really grew to support her in New York that year and was pulling for her more than any other athlete in the build-up to Beijing. I even dreamed about the race so many times (sad, I know!) so I was crushed when it didn't materialise, even though the gamble of racing was never going to pay off.
nevetsllim
 
Posts: 6261
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:54 am

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results 1 Vote

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:25 pm

nevetsllim wrote:I picked the 2008 Olympic 5000m final for how memorably disappointing it was. The field was absolutely stacked and after being treated to an epic 10,000m race, it unfolded like a below-average race you'd see at the WAF. IIRC it was one of the most anticipated races on these forums in light of Dibaba's 14:11 WR and Defar's 14:12 a few weeks later (Shobukhova had also run 14:23 at the Russian Champs) but the end-product was a hugely anti-climactic affair. The winning time was about 55sec slower than Tiru's second-half in the 10,000m!

I also chose Radcliffe's Beijing campaign. I couldn't choose Athens as I was only in my infancy of being a track fan and I don't even think I watched the race! However I really grew to support her in New York that year and was pulling for her more than any other athlete in the build-up to Beijing. I even dreamed about the race so many times (sad, I know!) so I was crushed when it didn't materialise, even though the gamble of racing was never going to pay off.


This is what we want, thanks Nevets :D

i wondered why you'd picked Paula 08 over 04 but that makes lots of sense
mump boy
 
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results 1 Vote

Postby gh » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:43 pm

mump boy wrote:Before i start posting results i just want to say

IT'S JUST A BIT OF FUN

if people insist on trying to make the thread decent into insults and arguments i'll just abandon it. ....


And I'll kicking asses and collecting names.....
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results 1 Vote

Postby gh » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:44 pm

mump boy wrote:As there are so many of them i've left the description brief, i'll leave it to you to elaborate

1 VOTE

1 point

.....
Carl Lewis singing national anthem (there was no date on this and i'm not even sure it refers to OG moment in which case it may be DQ'd)...


The infamous one was at an NBA game in '93 ("as written by Francis Scott Off-Key")
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results 1 Vote

Postby nevetsllim » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:04 pm

I also chose the 2008 Olympic women's triple jump final. It was just a fabulously exciting and high-standard competition (top-6 over 15m) and nothing since has come close to matching it. There were so many exciting women's triple jump finals in that period, namely Athens 2004, 2006 European Champs in Gothenburg when Lebedeva denied Devetzi in the last round, ditto at the 2008 World Indoors when Savigne won it on her last go but Beijing is the yardstick other TJ competitions are now measured against. I also loved how expressionless Mbango was despite putting together perhaps the best series ever by a female triple jumper!

Unfortunately the women's triple jump has been a damp squib since 2008 as the old guard have declined and the up-and-comers have stagnated a bit but I'm hoping the top guys will be injury-free and good form for Moscow because a final with Taylor, Claye, Idowu, Evora, Tamgho et al could be pretty special.
nevetsllim
 
Posts: 6261
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:54 am

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 79., Bing [Bot], DecFan, Gebrucilassie and 16 guests