That is assuming the guy is not from some rural area where electricity is a bit rare or nonexistent. I suspect something like this happens fairly regularly, whatever city this is. Otherwise why would anyone be taping the scene?
'One man in India Blames everyone standing on the roof of an express train, he demands something and blames them he will hold the High Voltage Electric Wire Running over the Train if his demand will not be accepted. Actually he was travelling in the Mahananda Express, en route from Delhi to Alipurduar. He had embarked upon the train from Aligarh.In his Procrastination he holds the wire and within fraction of second the High voltage passes his body and he dies with a huge sparks and fire. It is a worrying thing that people started using these kind of dangerous thing as a suicide medium. '
This story hits close to home since it happened at a house right behind my Dad's house. He said that not only did the sound of the blast wake him up, but he felt his house shake as well.
3 hospitalized in BR after powder blast
Three people were taken to a hospital early Tuesday after burning themselves while trying to ignite a large amount of gunpowder for a New Year’s Day fireworks celebration, a Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman said.
Firefighters were called around 1:30 a.m. to a report of burns in the 9200 block of Highland Road, spokesman Robert Combs said.
The three people, who were not identified, tried to pour a large amount of flammable powder into one container to make a “big bang” type of explosion, Combs said.
When they initially tried to light the container, it did not go off, Combs said.
As the three people were checking it, the container exploded and burned them, Combs said.
The three people were taken to a hospital with various injuries, including burns, cuts and other serious injuries, Combs said.
Nominees significantly improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from the human race in an obviously stupid way. They are self-selected examples of the dangers inherent in a lack of common sense, and all human races, cultures, and socioeconomic groups are eligible to compete. Actual winners must meet the following criteria:
Reproduction Out of the gene pool: dead or sterile.
I see something of a contradiction there. People who are sterile are, as far as I'm concerned, still members of the human race. Many sterile people lead full, productive lives. Maybe those who carelessly shoot their balls off should get some kind of award, but it should not be one that requires that they've eliminated themselves from the human race. It just ain't the same thing.
tandfman wrote:Yes, but they describe the Award thus: "Nominees significantly improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from the human race in an obviously stupid way."
Yes, there are other ways to improve the gene pool. But in one place, they seem to have limited nominations to those who've eliminated themselves from the human race. Their words, not mine.
I still don't follow you. Sterile people are still part of the human race, so if a person's stupidity leads to their own sterility, that would qualify according to the rules.
Both of you are right.. The website's rules are contradictory... The first thing stated in the Rules Section of the website is this:
"So how are the Darwin Awards actually determined?
Nominees significantly improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from the human race in an obviously stupid way."
Then a few paragraphs later this:
"What are they?
The Darwin Awards commemorate individuals who protect our gene pool by making the ultimate sacrifice of their own lives: by eliminating themselves in an extraordinarily idiotic manner, thereby improving our species' chance of long-term survival. In other words, they are cautionary tales about people who kill themselves in really stupid ways, and in doing so, significantly improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from the human race."
But then they also say later that self-caused sterility, even if one has already passed his or her genes on to offspring, can also make a person eligible for the award... Maybe they need to edit their rules section. I think I'd rather see the award given posthumously only...
I guess Gandee would actually qualify as a candidate, not a future candidate.
Shain Gandee, a star on MTV's "Buckwild" reality show, and two others in a truck he was riding in died of carbon monoxide poisoning, the Kanawha County (W.Va.) Sheriff’s Office told TODAY.com on Tuesday.
Gandee, 21, his uncle David Gandee, 48, and friend Donald Myers, 27, were found in a 1984 Ford Bronco that was partially submerged in deep mud with the exhaust pipe completely covered, according to a report from NBC affiliate WSAZ. Shain Gandee was in the driver's seat, according to a sheriff's press release. . . . . .
Shain, along with "Buckwild" co-star Shae Bradley, appeared on TODAY in January to defend their then-new show from critics who feared their on-screen antics would reinforce negative stereotypes about West Virginians. Shain's defense of the show now strikes a sad tone. "You only live once, so live it up," he said.
Do not try this at home. Do not try this anywhere. Just do not try it.
A man in China's southeastern Guangdong province admitted himself to a local hospital after he reportedly got a live eel stuck inside him. According to British tabloid The Sun, the man inserted the 20-inch-long Asian swamp eel into his anus after seeing it done in a porn movie, and he had to endure all-night surgery to have it extracted.
According to a HuffPost translation of Chinese news aggregation website Mop.com, the eel reportedly chewed through the man's colon, perforating his large intestine, and became stuck in his body cavity. A graphic X-ray image (seen below) shows how far inside the eel was when the man came in for treatment.
Medical team members reportedly said the eel, which was “simply trying to find its way out," was alive when removed but died shortly thereafter. According to The Sun, the man is still recovering at the hospital and might face animal cruelty charges.