That Tarmoh/Felix photo

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

That Tarmoh/Felix photo

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:47 am

So I printed it out (enlarged) from the annual electronic Annual Issue and drew a vertical line thru the front of their (visible) torsos and it is indeed a dead heat, BUT . . .

the foremost parts of both torsos are occluded by their heads. I seem to remember that, as the story goes, the photo-reader did what he usually did, extrapolated their torsos and decided that Tarmoh's torso "must" be further ahead and put his reticle where her torso 'must' (anatomy being what it is) begin. It's obvious in the picture that, since Tarmoh's right arm is forward (Felix's is straight up), the front of her torso/shoulder joint 'must' be ahead of Felix's (seems obvious to me that this 'must' be true), hence she gets 3rd place. But, then the reader second-guessed himself since an examination of the photo would reveal that, as far as can be SEEN, the tie exists and that his 'extrapolation' wouldn't stand up to an appeal.

So my question is, is that how it went down, and was their no reverse-angle photo that could show who really was ahead?
Marlow

Re: That Tarmoh/Felix photo

Postby mcgato » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:35 pm

That's how I recall it going down. I think that the reverse angle was said to be blocked in a similar manner, so there was no way of showing definitively where Tarmoh's torso began.
mcgato

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:53 pm

mcgato wrote:I think that the reverse angle was said to be blocked in a similar manner, so there was no way of showing definitively where Tarmoh's torso began.

I'm not sure how that could be . . . the arm itself occluded the torso?
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:50 pm

It was a tie. By every know technical method/device, it was an unbreakable tie.
lonewolf

Postby mcgato » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:40 am

Marlow wrote:I'm not sure how that could be . . . the arm itself occluded the torso?
Felix was blocking Tarmoh, I think.
mcgato

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:52 pm

lonewolf wrote:It was a tie. By every know technical method/device, it was an unbreakable tie.

Any such differential is both unusable, by not being visible, and irrelevant, as it is too small to overcome the level of inaccuracy of the length of the lanes and even the angles of the cameras.
26mi235

Postby Blues » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:53 am

If these television views are similar to the views the outside reverse angle finish line camera provided, I can understand how it probably wasn't helpful, even if the finish line camera was at a slightly higher point.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m66g2 ... 1_1280.png

http://www.eurthisnthat.com/wp-content/ ... d-spot.jpg
Blues

Postby ATK » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:45 pm

mcgato wrote:
Marlow wrote:I'm not sure how that could be . . . the arm itself occluded the torso?
Felix was blocking Tarmoh, I think.

Correct.
From the "fans side" camera, Felix's arm is blocking the view.

From the infield side, Tarmoh's head is blocking the potion of her torso/shoulder that many think is clearly ahead of Felix. This is the photo where the whole interpolation came into play if i'm correct.

Looking at the photos again though, they both probably should have just ran through the tape or actually leaned. They gained no advantage with the positions they are in at the line...
ATK