T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby mump boy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:53 pm

bobguild76 wrote:mump boy ... You rock! It has been wonderful sifting through my (fading) memories, the copies of all my T&FNs (yes ... I have them back to 1971, just like most T&FN fanatics!), and the comments on this thread. I am eagerly awaiting the countdown!

I'm glad you're having fun

Hurry up and get your nominations in :D
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:09 pm

tandfman wrote:
bushop wrote:A couple of mine are only in print... no one but the participants experienced the moment. I've watched some of them dozens of times on video... two of them over one hundred times.

Pardon my curiosity, but I'd be interested to know which two events you've watched over 100 times. I cannot imagine watching any event, no matter how great, that many times unless perhaps I was somehow personally involved in it, as an athlete, coach, parent, etc.

PS - "It's none of your damned business" is a perfectly acceptable response.

Surely we'll find out once the results are announced.
Flumpy

Postby bushop » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:02 pm

tandfman wrote:Pardon my curiosity, but I'd be interested to know which two events you've watched over 100 times.

• 2012 Olympic 800m (almost daily)
Mac Wilkins' 2nd round throw at the Montreal Olympics (began watching in 1983)
bushop

Postby mump boy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:24 am

Don't forget i need your nominations on by midnight on Sat

A lot of you who are commenting on here haven't entered yet
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:01 am

Sorry.
Flumpy

Postby Tuariki » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:13 am

20 moments all done and dusted and sent to mump boy.
I limited my moments to those I experienced in my lifetime. That is, I ignored 1956 and before as I have no memory of 1956 and 1952 and I wasn't around for 1948 or before.
Tuariki

Postby mump boy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:12 am

Thanks everyone

keep them coming :-)
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:23 am

I'm struggling :?

I have a long list of 30 some of which are dead cert to be included and some will easily get discarded but i want to think of some more memorable moments not just so and so won

I know i'l be kicking myself afterwards :(
mump boy

Postby bobguild76 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:48 am

Dang! After you list the Top Twenty, then the discussion will really take off! One memory that I didn't list, but stays with me, is the Hammer Throw in 1996. I was about 10 rows up from the cage, and watched Lance Deal's 6th round throw, moving him to the Silver Medal position. It was excruciating to watch him pace back and forth as the 8th, then 7th, the 6th and so on, took their final throws. As each fell short, he knew he was one throw closer to Olympic Silver.

It was electric, especially as it came in an event in which we had fallen off the radar. Adding to the drama was the (then) recent reshuffling of the final three rounds to go from 8 to 1 in reverse order. Now THAT is what Olympic drama is all about!
bobguild76

Postby DecFan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:16 am

Bob, I'm pm-ing you my recollections of that HT - which also for me was just outside my top 20. To follow mump's preferences, I'll refrain from posting them in this thread now. But remind me and I'll post them when this moment (surely) comes up on someone's list.
DecFan

Postby bobguild76 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:21 am

DecFan wrote:Bob, I'm pm-ing you my recollections of that HT - which also for me was just outside my top 20. To follow mump's preferences, I'll refrain from posting them in this thread now. But remind me and I'll post them when this moment (surely) comes up on someone's list.

Thank you, DecFan. I almost refrained from posting that memory, as I want to honor mump boy's request. I put it up though, because it was outside my Top 20.
bobguild76

Postby Daisy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:49 am

mump boy wrote:Don't forget i need your nominations on by midnight on Sat

Plenty of time! :?
Daisy

Postby mump boy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:57 pm

bobguild76 wrote:
DecFan wrote:Bob, I'm pm-ing you my recollections of that HT - which also for me was just outside my top 20. To follow mump's preferences, I'll refrain from posting them in this thread now. But remind me and I'll post them when this moment (surely) comes up on someone's list.

Thank you, DecFan. I almost refrained from posting that memory, as I want to honor mump boy's request. I put it up though, because it was outside my Top 20.

But it might be in someone else's :P and there will be plenty of time for reminiscing later :D
mump boy

Postby bobguild76 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:44 pm

mump boy wrote:
bobguild76 wrote:

But it might be in someone else's :P and there will be plenty of time for reminiscing later :D

Excellent point. My bad! :-( But I sure look forward to the results!
bobguild76

Postby bushop » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:35 pm

mump boy wrote:I know i'l be kicking myself afterwards :(

I already am... El Caballo
bushop

Postby gh » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:35 pm

bobguild76 wrote:Dang! After you list the Top Twenty, then the discussion will really take off! One memory that I didn't list, but stays with me, is the Hammer Throw in 1996. I was about 10 rows up from the cage, and watched Lance Deal's 6th round throw, moving him to the Silver Medal position. It was excruciating to watch him pace back and forth as the 8th, then 7th, the 6th and so on, took their final throws. As each fell short, he knew he was one throw closer to Olympic Silver....

I think for Lance it might have been more excruciating when he thought he hadn't made the final three throws at all until Bob Hersh announced that ties weren't broken, and then the officials cogitated on it a while. It was certainly my take at the time that if Bob hadn't piped up Deal wouldn't have gotten the final 3 throws.
gh

Postby Bob H » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:18 am

It did appear that way at the time.
Bob H

Postby bobguild76 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:44 am

gh wrote:
bobguild76 wrote:Dang! After you list the Top Twenty, then the discussion will really take off! One memory that I didn't list, but stays with me, is the Hammer Throw in 1996. I was about 10 rows up from the cage, and watched Lance Deal's 6th round throw, moving him to the Silver Medal position. It was excruciating to watch him pace back and forth as the 8th, then 7th, the 6th and so on, took their final throws. As each fell short, he knew he was one throw closer to Olympic Silver....

I think for Lance it might have been more excruciating when he thought he hadn't made the final three throws at all until Bob Hersh announced that ties weren't broken, and then the officials cogitated on it a while. It was certainly my take at the time that if Bob hadn't piped up Deal wouldn't have gotten the final 3 throws.

So true! Thank you, Bob!
bobguild76

Postby rhymans » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:05 am

This is so diffiult. I've gone for 1 moment per Games with a few notes:

2012 Rudisha 1:40.91 [ahead of the USA 40.82, UB's 9.63, W100h and Ennis]
2008 Bolt's treble - the 100 being the peak moment
2004 Great 100m final
2000 The Men's 10000 finish [but only just ahead of the JT - the best depth in OG history]
1996 Johnson's 19.32
1992 Last lap of Men's 5000
1988 Lewis's jumping [8.72 but 8.90 toe to heel]
1984 Cruz 800 [just aead of Coe's 1500]
1980 Coe-Ovett
1976 Nemeth's 94.58 WR
1972 Bragina's 3 WRs [ahead of a great M-JT and Meyfarth's WR]
1968 Gamoudi's 5000 win - a lowlander beating the Kenyans and Ethiopians
1964 Hayes in the relay [Mary Rand WR, Cuthbert's comeback]
1960 Men's 400 [just ahead of Elliott's 1500 and Snell's surprise win]
1956 Kuts 10000 win
1952 Zatopek 5000
1948 Blankers-Koen - the 200 win was her best
1936 Owens - 100 the top moment
1932 Hampson's 800 WR
1928 Lowe's finish in the 800 [like Snell in 64, but more so!]

That's 20 - so take out 1948 and add in
1924 Nurmi's X/C win
And if I look at video tomorrow the choices would be quite different
rhymans

Postby LopenUupunut » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:14 am

No advertising your picks yet, please :)
mump boy wrote:10. NO TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU NOMINATED OR WHAT YOU THINK WILL BE RANKED UNTIL AFTER IT HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED
LopenUupunut

Postby mump boy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:16 am

rhymans wrote:This is so diffiult. I've gone for 1 moment per Games with a few notes:

Pleas don't post them here. Can you delete this and PM me instead

Can you also put them on your preferred order from

20th -1 point to 1st - 20 points

thanks
Last edited by mump boy on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby Daisy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:20 am

mump boy wrote:
rhymans wrote:This is so diffiult.........And if I look at video tomorrow the choices would be quite different

Pleas don't post them here. Can you delete this and PM me instead

Although, it will live on in your reply. I like rhymans approach of one per games.
Daisy

Postby Flumpy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:59 am

mump doesn't know how to edit a post.
Flumpy

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:18 am

Sent mine :)
eldanielfire

Postby Flumpy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:31 am

Mump has asked me to let you know that as he cannot get onto T&FN at the moment, and it seems like others are having the same problem, he's extending the time period you have to voten until the end of New Year's Day.

That's 24:00 hours GMT on Tuesday 1st of Jan 2013.

He's also requested that people please read the rules before sending him their lists. He's getting lots which don't have years noted or are in no specific order etc. It's pretty straighforward so have a look here and then PM him accordingly.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48596&start=60#p807435
Flumpy

Postby Fortius19 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:20 pm

Wow,

Just sent mine in thinking I was too late (but doing it anyway :roll: ).

Glad to be able to be included.

Big Thanks to mump for the idea and all the work involved! :mrgreen:
Fortius19

Postby Flumpy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:04 am

Mump still can't get on. Each page is blocked when he tries to do anything.

He's going to leave this open until further notice so anyone still wanting to enter has time.

I'm sitting here doing it now and once you start going throigh each Olympics it's quite easy to remember all your favourite moments (Plus gives you a great excuse to relive them all on You Tube :D ).
Flumpy

Postby KDFINE » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:44 pm

Read the posts over and over again. The first stated that for the rules go to page 3. I never did see a page 3 or find out how to put in my selections. On top of all this, I'd been access the board and was unable to post anything for over 6 weeks. This is my first post since some time in November, probably before Thanksgiving. So I never got to list my favorites. A total bummer. Happy to be back. As for all the usual suspects when it comes to favorite moments, I would have included Bert Cameron's semi-final 400 in 1984.
KDFINE

Postby Flumpy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:30 pm

The rules are on page 3 of this thread. There's a link 3 posts above this one.

Still open for submissions as mump is unable to get online at the moment, so keep sending them until further notice.
Flumpy

Postby DrJay » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Late to this thread, haven't been on much lately, but this is hilarious (and also a very good idea!) 4+ pages of discussion and banter and (sometimes) argument about the bloody guidelines and decorum and whatnot! I read all the posts and can only picture them as the script to a Monty Python sketch, with the characters sitting around a room with pints and their knickers all bunched up discussing and kibitzing over what the hell constitutes a "moment". Maybe one of the sketches where the Pythoners are all dressed as women and speaking in falsetto.

Anyway, I may not have time to get together my 20 but am keen to follow along. Thanks mump!
DrJay

Postby Flumpy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:02 pm

I think you'll have time.

Looks like mump will be offline for a while.
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:23 am

I'm back :D

Because of the enforced break i'm keeping this open until 12pm on Sunday 6th

i encourage everyone to enter, it doesn't matter if it's not your 100% 20 favourites you could do it in 10 mins :-)

The more that enter the more the whole process makes sense

I'm going to be chasing some of you for entries so beware :D
mump boy

Postby Gabriella » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:20 am

I'm sure I will be kicking myself once I've submitted them because I'm bound to have missed some.

What's been difficult is balancing moments I've wanted to see e.g Ennis's win in 2012, with competitions that have been surprising or amazingly exciting to watch. There are some that stick in the memory because, as a super fan, they mean something to you (a favourite athlete winning) but it's only when you go over your old videos do you remember some of the great competitions we've seen and the suspense and excitement.

It was hard getting down to 20, and then even harder ranking that 20! I think I'm there now.

For the record, I have focussed on Games I have followed since I was a fan, so from 84 onwards. Though I can appreciate past results they dont mean anywhere near as much as those I watched live on TV and enjoyed the build up to.

Also, I have included doubles as a single moment for me, as well as one which is a 'themed' moment with 3 athletes from 3 different events! Hopefully that wont confuse or cause too much trouble :?
Gabriella

Postby Flumpy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:10 am

Gabriella wrote:Also, I have included doubles as a single moment for me, as well as one which is a 'themed' moment with 3 athletes from 3 different events! Hopefully that wont confuse or cause too much trouble :?

HA!!! This sounds ominous. Thinking about it I've done the same though. :lol:

Once all submissions are in mump will be PMing people to clarify I'm sure.
Flumpy

Postby bobguild76 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:20 am

Gabriella wrote:I'm sure I will be kicking myself once I've submitted them because I'm bound to have missed some.

What's been difficult is balancing moments I've wanted to see e.g Ennis's win in 2012, with competitions that have been surprising or amazingly exciting to watch. There are some that stick in the memory because, as a super fan, they mean something to you (a favourite athlete winning) but it's only when you go over your old videos do you remember some of the great competitions we've seen and the suspense and excitement.

It was hard getting down to 20, and then even harder ranking that 20! I think I'm there now ...

Ain't that the truth?! I have thoroughly enjoyed the process of selecting and ranking my fav moments ... reliving them many times in my head.

It's a good thing I have my old VCR machine and the grainy videos from Olympics past. I wonder if there is a place that sells HD quality DVDs of past Olympic T&F action. Preferably with BBC feed & announcers, or at least NOT the standard NBC fluff coverage. Would anyone know?
bobguild76

Postby eldanielfire » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:01 am

bobguild76 wrote:
Gabriella wrote:I'm sure I will be kicking myself once I've submitted them because I'm bound to have missed some.

It was hard getting down to 20, and then even harder ranking that 20! I think I'm there now ...

Ain't that the truth?! I have thoroughly enjoyed the process of selecting and ranking my fav moments ... reliving them many times in my head.

It's a good thing I have my old VCR machine and the grainy videos from Olympics past. I wonder if there is a place that sells HD quality DVDs of past Olympic T&F action. Preferably with BBC feed & announcers, or at least NOT the standard NBC fluff coverage. Would anyone know?

I've seen many Olympic reviews from the 1960's to 1980 on Youtube in good quality but not in English (I think Russian?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfw7d4X_I-U

Great to see stuff before my time (David Hemery 400m Hurdles gold for example) though there is strangly sinister music in some sequences :lol:

I'm so surprised not only is more T&F not on there but much of it gets taken down. A Sally Gunnell highlights video was taken down over crimbo, I mean what money or attention is lost by that? If anything it takes away opportunity to view old greats and for people to develope a passing interest into something more. The NBA should be applauded for not only putting up highlights themselves but allowing any and all Basketball videos being put up by fans.
eldanielfire

Postby bobguild76 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:57 am

eldanielfire wrote:I've seen many Olympic reviews from the 1960's to 1980 on Youtube in good quality but not in English (I think Russian?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfw7d4X_I-U

Great to see stuff before my time (David Hemery 400m Hurdles gold for example) though there is strangly sinister music in some sequences :lol:

I'm so surprised not only is more T&F not on there but much of it gets taken down. A Sally Gunnell highlights video was taken down over crimbo, I mean what money or attention is lost by that? If anything it takes away opportunity to view old greats and for people to develope a passing interest into something more. The NBA should be applauded for not only putting up highlights themselves but allowing any and all Basketball videos being put up by fans.

Same here, eldanielfire ... I have spent many hours watching various T&F competitions on YouTube, and have enjoyed it thoroughly. My question is more along the lines of; Does BBC or NBC or someone else, have dvd's of Olympic T&F competitions? I would love to watch the 1984 men's & women's marathons again, and can't find it on YouTube. I was fortunate to be in England at that time, and watched the men's marathon in a pub with a gaggle of British (& Irish, for a day) fanatics.

Same with the 1972 5 & 10K. And marathon. There are moments of the 5K on YouTube, but not the entire race. YouTube is a fantastic medium, but when I lived in South Africa for two years, the bandwidth was so narrow, you couldn't watch HD except in buffered fits and spurts. Thus my desire for dvd's.

Hey, mump boy ... we are all waiting with baited breath for the results! As we used to say in the military, one day and a wake-up! :D
bobguild76

Postby bushop » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 am

The IAAF and IOC have the treasure trove of track & field videos... esp the field events.
bushop

Postby eldanielfire » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:30 am

bushop wrote:The IAAF and IOC have the treasure trove of track & field videos... esp the field events.

Cool? where?
eldanielfire

Postby bobguild76 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:30 am

bushop wrote:The IAAF and IOC have the treasure trove of track & field videos... esp the field events.

I have tried both the IOC and IAAF websites ... while they have T&F videos, they are just snippets when it comes to anything longer than the sprints & middle distances. Half the enjoyment of the distances and field events is watching the event unfold, and you don't get that with snippets.

Plus, being on the web, I can't take them places or pop them in my dvd player. I know, I'm a dinosaur!
bobguild76

PreviousNext