30x30

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

30x30

Postby mr.p » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:20 pm

I don't know if there's an earlier thread on this subject or if this is the right forum - if I'm wrong, I apologize.

I just watched ESPN's 30x30 show on the Seoul Olympics' 100m final. The show mixed tape from the event, other historical footage (including the 1987 Rome WC - my first TF&N trip), interviews with most of the participants today, plus some cheesy, repeated footage of needles drawing liquid from canisters and injections into skin. But IMO it's a must see for track fans. Our guy Carl does not come off very well, and neither does Joe D - just suggestions though, nothing concrete, though. I had forgotten, if I ever knew, that almost ever runner in the 100m final was involved in a scandal at one time or other, but it's Ben that everyone remembers. I'm reminded of a chart someone sent me, showing how during the years that Lance won the TdeF, in almost each case the next nine finishers were subsequently found to be using. And I remember Charlie Francis's line, "There is a level playing field - it's just not the one you think it is."
mr.p

Re: 30x30

Postby scottmitchell74 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:30 pm

I saw it. Very interesting. I was on the edge of my seat as much as I was in 1988. Back before the 24/7 news cycle, I remember I could barely stand the wait until I got my SI that screamed "Busted!"
scottmitchell74

Re: 30x30

Postby runforlife » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:22 am

mr.p wrote:I just watched ESPN's 30x30 show

Haven't seen that one yet but looking forward to it. To me, all the 30x30 shows are great and interesting, even watching them a second time.
runforlife