Usain Bolt AGAIN Sportsman of the year in USA

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Usain Bolt AGAIN Sportsman of the year in USA

Postby ZELLGADISS » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:30 am

For the Academy of Sports in USA, Bolt won Sportsman of the year, the BEST in 2012.
The voting was in the channel NBC SPORTS.

It is incredible that a lot of international media give to Bolt the BEST SPORTSMAN in the world in this 2012(In Laureus he has a lot of options too), while somebody in this forum thinks that he is not the best athlete in this year.

REALLY incredible :shock:
ZELLGADISS

Re: Usain Bolt AGAIN Sportsman of the year in USA

Postby gh » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:36 am

international media know nothing about the realities of track & field, and produce popularity-contest voting.
gh

Postby mump boy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:42 am

gh wrote:international media know nothing about the realities of track & field, and produce popularity-contest voting.

Substitute International Association of Athletic Federations and you get the same thing !!
mump boy

Postby maroon » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:52 am

i wish folk would please stop complaining about the niche status of the sport and the lack of coverage in sports illustrated, etc. even a marketing novice like me knows that bolt would be a better choice if you want to market the sport and your magazine to non-diehard fans. if you want to be purist, no worries, but please don't complain that you are a starving purist.
maroon

Postby ZELLGADISS » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:59 am

gh i dont think same that you.
International journalists with long experience and several experts in track and field like exist in a lot of media, i dont think that the all media votes to Bolt by POPULARITY :shock:

In my opinion it is an excuse for no to tell that Bolt was the best athlete and perhaps the best sportsman in the world in this 2012.
The popularity does not get a lot of wonderful times, 3 golds in OG by 2nd time consecutive(AMAZING, first time in the history), and to win all events in DL in 100 and 200 this year 8-)
In addition having serious injury only 1 month before OG :shock:
ZELLGADISS

Postby Flumpy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:55 am

Oh turn it in. You're obsessive Bolt stanning is really tedious.

It wouldn't matter what other athletes did you would still insist that Bolt was the better and drone on about his accomplishments when other disagree.

T&FN didn't vote him AOY in 2012 because he wasn't the AOY. Get over it.
Flumpy

Postby gh » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:27 am

maroon wrote:... even a marketing novice like me knows that bolt would be a better choice if you want to market the sport and your magazine to non-diehard fans. ...

Let me see if I've got this right: rather than choosing the proper AOY, we should go with the one that sells the most magazines? That's a new take on journalistic integrity.
gh

Postby Blues » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:29 am

When you look at the how the contest works, I don't think it's that surprising that Bolt and Serena Williams won... The voting seems to have been done by international fans.

"The two Olympic standouts dominated the voting in the 28th consecutive year that the Academy has overseen the Athlete of the Year award, which was done in conjunction with NBC Sports. Hundreds of thousands of sports fans worldwide selected the most outstanding male and female athletes in online balloting on the Academy’s website at http://www.ussa.edu. The ballot included 12 males and 12 females and voting lasted from Dec. 1 to Dec. 21.

The Athlete of the Year ballot is the culmination of the Academy’s yearlong Athlete of the Month program, which recognizes the accomplishments of men and women in sports from around the globe. Each month, the public is invited to participate in the worldwide Athlete of the Month program by nominating athletes and then voting online during the first two weeks of every month. The votes, along with an Academy selection committee, choose the male and female winners monthly who then become eligible for the prestigious Athlete of the Year honor. The monthly winners are announced on the Academy’s website and in the online edition of The Sport Update....

In 2011, the Male Athlete of the Year was Serbia’s No. 1-ranked men’s tennis player Novak Djokovic and the Female Athlete of the Year was Taiwan’s No. 1-ranked women’s golfer Yani Tseng. They both dominated the voting that drew up to 50,000 votes a day from across the world."

Here are the 12 male and female athletes the international public fans could vote for in 2012:

In alphabetical order, the 12 men competing for the Academy’s prestigious Athlete of the Year honor are: 1) Drew Brees, Football, United States; 2) Usain Bolt, Track and Field, Jamaica 3) Miguel Cabrera, Baseball, Venezuela; 4) J.R. Celski, Speedskating, United States; 5) Novak Djokovic, Tennis, Serbia; 6) Ashton Eaton, Track and Field, United States; 7) LeBron James, Basketball, United States; 8) Rory McIlroy, Golf, Ireland; 9) Lionel Messi, Soccer, Argentina; 10) Andy Murray, Tennis, Scotland; 11) Michael Phelps, Swimming, United States; and 12) Bradley Wiggins, Cycling, Great Britain.

In alphabetical order, the 12 women competing for the Academy’s prestigious Athlete of the Year honor are: 1) Victoria Azarenka, Tennis, Belarus; 2) Tamika Catchings, Basketball, United States; 3) Gabby Douglas, Gymnastics, United States; 4) Jessica Ennis, Track and Field, Great Britain; 5) Allyson Felix, Track and Field, United States; 6) Missy Franklin, Swimming, United States; 7) Carmelita Jeter, Track and Field, United States; 8) Carolina Kostner, Figure Skating, Italy; 9) Jessica Korda, Golf, United States; 10) Yani Tseng, Golf, Taiwan; 11) Lindsey Vonn, Skiing, United States; and 12) Serena Williams, Tennis, United States.
Blues

Postby gh » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:41 am

All those who think that Carmelita Jeter should have been on the nominees list ahead of Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, who beat her in both sprints in London, please raise your hands.
gh

Postby maroon » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:51 am

gh wrote:
maroon wrote:... even a marketing novice like me knows that bolt would be a better choice if you want to market the sport and your magazine to non-diehard fans. ...

Let me see if I've got this right: rather than choosing the proper AOY, we should go with the one that sells the most magazines? That's a new take on journalistic integrity.

thats not what i said and you know it, or do you? i said you are free to choose the "proper aoy" whatever that means, but please do not complain about the sport dying or better selling magazines ignoring the sport.

i will write in a separate post (assuming i don't get banned for this post) about what i think "aoy" should mean.
maroon

Postby maroon » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 am

i think the whole concept of "aoy" is really antiquated and not suited for a sport that is on the brink of obscurity. to be more precise, i think the criteria for "athlete of the year" should take into account the intangibles such as "what people are talking about" effect in addition to the actual performances. performance of the year is fine as is and perhaps that should remain as the track and field purist award while the athlete of the year would be a combination of performance at OG or WC, overall season and impact on the sport/buzz.

obviously, someone like lolo jones would not win with her 2012 season because she was mostly buzz, but she brought a lot of publicity to her event and her bitter competitors should have been happy that they got they publicity they did because of her marketing efforts.

for someone like bolt, you have to take into account the history making double triple. the olympics was all about him. how can the magazine that is the primary source of the history of the sport ignore that? and i am not a big allyson felix fan, but why is she not athlete of the year? i know all the arguments about relays and individual performance, etc., but she was the biggest female star coming out of the games. in short, the iaaf got it right. t&fnews got it wrong, imo.
maroon

Postby Blues » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:16 am

gh wrote:All those who think that Carmelita Jeter should have been on the nominees list ahead of Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, who beat her in both sprints in London, please raise your hands.

Agreed, and obviously Shelly-Ann isn't the only athlete to get jobbed... Because of the way this contest works based on public fan voting, only one male and one female every month can be selected as athlete of the month (and thus become eligible for Athlete of the Year voting), and for August the fans voted in Olympians Usain Bolt and America swimmer Missy Franklin.... Carmelita Jeter got in because she was the fans' pick for the month of May, when she ran 10.81 in Jamaica. Because of the way this contest is structured, an athlete with a red herring one-off performance during one month of the year can qualify for AOY, while an athlete who might finish a close second in the voting in all 12 months of the year won't be eligible.

Interestingly, for the Olympic month of August when American swimmer Missy Franklin was voted as athlete of the month, American gymnast Gabby Douglas was the second place vote-getter, and American sprinter Allyson Felix was third. I don't know how far back SAFP or any other Olympic athletes finished... For the men's voting for the Olympic month of August, the voting went Bolt, then American swimmer Michael Phelps, and then American decathlete Ashton Eaton in third.
Blues

Postby Flumpy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:33 am

maroon wrote: in short, the iaaf got it right. t&fnews got it wrong, imo.

They only got it wrong if they followed your absurd criteria, which luckily they didn't.

It's like giving a Grammy to 'Gangnam Style' after all it was the most talked about song of the year :roll:
Flumpy

Postby ZELLGADISS » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 am

I only hear excuses here.

It is really incredible that in a lot of awards in different countries, about Sportsman of the year is winning almost always Bolt in 2012 while here someone telling that he is not the best in his sport this year.

But OF COURSE only some people that opine here in this forum is "intelligent" and the rest of the world is "stupid" and they dont know about track and field or sports in general :lol:

For me it is amazing really
ZELLGADISS

Postby ExCoastRanger » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:50 am

maroon wrote: the olympics was all about him....

Not the Olympics I saw.
Also, AOY should (and does for T&FN) factor in more than the Olympics.
ExCoastRanger

Postby pakillo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:08 pm

Boring... I'd just totally agree with gh, mump and Flumpy.
And yeah, international media and mainstream media know so little about this sport (and many other sports) that sometimes I regret hearing some news from certain sources. I don't think Laureus Award is much better.
pakillo

Postby gh » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:39 pm

maroon wrote:i think the whole concept of "aoy" is really antiquated and not suited for a sport that is on the brink of obscurity. to be more precise, i think the criteria for "athlete of the year" should take into account the intangibles such as "what people are talking about" effect in addition to the actual performances. performance of the year is fine as is and perhaps that should remain as the track and field purist award while the athlete of the year would be a combination of performance at OG or WC, overall season and impact on the sport/buzz. ....

At the risk of making you fall over, I agree with much of what you're saying here. Baseball tumbled to this in the '50s when it turned selection for the All-Star Game over to the fans. The results were disastrous (see the '57 Reds), but they have continued to involve the fans. As do all the major pro sports, one way or another.

But one constant has been that the "real" honors (like MVP, like Hall of Fame) have remained in the hands of a more select group based on analysis of facts in an unemotional fashion.

USATF did something good this year in instituting "Fan's Choice Awards" to go along with its other honors. Involving the fans is most decidedly a good thing, particulalry in these days of mass comunication, where everybody has the option of easily making their voice heard. I have no problem with that.

But we continue to think that somebody needs to sort things out with the "antiquated" methodology of having people who really know the sport judging that season's performances based on performance alone. That's the role we're trying to fill here.

Go the "buzz" route and I'm sure we can find a year down the road where Bolt would win after retiring. (OK, slight hyperbole there)
gh

Postby maroon » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:56 pm

thanks gh for your measured response. maybe what is a needed is a different nomenclature.

flumpy, no need to be so hostile. zellgadis has a very valid point -- doesn't it seem incongruous to you that almost every non- track and field source is making bolt it's athlete of the year? why is that happening? and it's not like bolt was far behind the winner in this magazine's own polling of experts. doesn't it speak to what the public want to see? shouldn't this be an opportunity for the marketeers working in the sport to try and figure what will get people to watch t&f instead of and just concluding that "the public are all stupid ".
maroon

Postby ZELLGADISS » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:07 am

maroon wrote:thanks gh for your measured response. maybe what is a needed is a different nomenclature.

flumpy, no need to be so hostile. zellgadis has a very valid point -- doesn't it seem incongruous to you that almost every non- track and field source is making bolt it's athlete of the year? why is that happening? and it's not like bolt was far behind the winner in this magazine's own polling of experts. doesn't it speak to what the public want to see? shouldn't this be an opportunity for the marketeers working in the sport to try and figure what will get people to watch t&f instead of and just concluding that "the public are all stupid ".

Yes marron.
The theme is that looks that Bolt for somebody did not get "very good season" when he got 3 gold OG with 3 wonderful times(2nd best time in history 100m(only he better),in 200 only he got in the past better time in big event, and in 4x100 WR).
And he was injuried only 1 month before of OG, he ran at 90% in London probably.
In adittion he won all his races in 100 and 200 in DL, winning Championship of 100 DL finally(in 200 he ran few events in DL)
It is very sure that Bolt made big things this year.
To tell that he gets all this awards by popularity or because he is BOLT , really sounds stupid.

If he does not get several gold medals or getting "normal" times he gets awards, it would be bad.
But getting all these things this year, his awards are with all justice.
ZELLGADISS

Postby bobguild76 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:39 am

maroon wrote:i think the whole concept of "aoy" is really antiquated and not suited for a sport that is on the brink of obscurity. to be more precise, i think the criteria for "athlete of the year" should take into account the intangibles such as "what people are talking about" effect in addition to the actual performances. performance of the year is fine as is and perhaps that should remain as the track and field purist award while the athlete of the year would be a combination of performance at OG or WC, overall season and impact on the sport/buzz.

... in short, the iaaf got it right. t&fnews got it wrong, imo.

You contend that Track & Field is on the brink of obscurity. That may be true, especially here in the US, but voting Bolt and/or Felix as AOY, simply because they have more buzz, is not the answer. T&FN has long pushed for a comprehensive strategy, involving the bigwigs at USAT&F, athletes, coaches, meet directors, sponsors and the like, to address the issues of packaging and selling T&F. There is much to be done in this sports saturated environment, but not on the pages of T&FN AOY selection.

Track & Field News caters to the serious fan, not the online voters at NBC Sports. Yes, all of us wish there were more serious fans, and that T&F had a much greater place in the global sports consciousness. But if there in one publication that we hope NEVER changes its criteria when it comes to a serious deliberation of AOY, it is Track & Field News. After all, T&FN is the Bible of the Sport, and since when does the Bible change its criteria to cater to popular opinion? :D

Athlete of the Year is about who are the premier athletes for the entire season. Buzz is not taken into consideration for this honor. When I look back over the previous AOY selections, long after the buzz had gone from many great athletes, I have to say T&FN got it right better than any other T&F publication. Many years from now, when the serious T&F fan looks back at 2012, I think they will agree that Rudisha and Eaton had marginally better years in their respective events than did Bolt.

Your sense that T&F can and should do a better job of packaging and selling our product is right on. Lets all do what we can in this effort. Part of that is highlighting those with worldwide recognition such as Usain Bolt. He is, and will remain, one of the all time great Track & Field athletes and megastars. But let us also revel in the recognition that David Rudisha is the amazing Three-peat AOY!
bobguild76

Postby Trackrunner » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:41 pm

I know it is not intended but "buzz" factor aside I don't think Bolt's accomplishment should be belittled. He did what no one else before him had done - a double, double in perhaps the most competitive events in track and field by winning the 100/200 in consecutive Olympic Games and set an Olympic record in the 100 to boot. Save for the Jamaica Trials he was victorious all season on the circuit and put up some solid times.

With that said I am ok with Rudisha, Farah, Eaton, Merritt or Bolt being named AOY. All had remarkable seasons and it is going to be a highly subjective decision to give one the edge over the other. Rudisha's 800 WR at the Games - scintillating. Farah's 5K/10k gold medal runs - moments to be treasured. Eaton and Merritt's WRs combined with their London performance all excellent and worthy. Tough call.
Trackrunner

Postby athleticshushmail » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:59 pm

We should be happy that Bolt is getting all these awards. It lets us actually watch the sport we love. If Eaton, Rudisha, or Merrit, were winning these awards, t and f would be getting a lot less exposure and would be harder to watch and collect. Trust me, I don't think David Rudisha is heartbroken that he didn't win athlete of the year. It would be one thing if Bolt were over rated but what he is doing is incredible and has never been done before in track. This is definitely a situation where the viewers win. We should stop complaining so much.
athleticshushmail

Postby Blues » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:27 am

Regarding athletes like Rudisha, Merritt, Eaton, Farah, etc., since the AOL in THIS particular contest is determined by the voluntary voting of general public sports fans, and since anyone can vote, and since the contest isn't track and field specific, it might be pretty tough for any track and field athlete who isn't a 100m champion to ever have a shot at winning.

Although Bolt is deserving, without his 2008 and 2009 accomplishments also in the public's mind he might not have won. This particular contest very well could have had similar results if it was sponsored by TMZ.com, with the winner being decided by open online voting by the internet masses, just like in this contest.

In defense of this particular AOL contest though, obviously the typical voters (several of the most highly regarded being shown below) are well qualified to choose the international athlete of the year in an objective, fair, and unbiased manner.. :wink:

https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_i ... 82230.jpeg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1OMiSrEJXnY/R ... es+fan.jpg

http://radio.foxnews.com/wp-content/upl ... er_fan.jpg
Blues