Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away

Postby Marlow » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:34 pm

Having admitted my philistine tastes on another thread, I'm hear to salvage some aesthetic pride. This is an 80-minute 'movie', out in limited release (in this case meaning - it ain't gonna last long in theaters), though threadbare in plot, is rich in BEAUTY! Combine one part Olympic gymnastics, one part elite ballet, one part Beatles, and one part Steroid-LSD cocktail and you've got a spell-binding, jaw-dropping, mind-blowing amalgam of sheer entertainment. I was skeptical that that the CdS 'experience' would translate onto the silver screen, but letting James Cameron take the reins of the production ensured its spectacle. The wife and I LOVED it!
Marlow

Re: Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away

Postby rsb2 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:29 pm

You forgot the 2 parts Canadian :)
rsb2

Postby gh » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:17 am

Local reviewer was turned off by it; probably because, as he noted, it was a thinly disguised commercial for the 7 properties currently showing in Vegas.

He also thought there was far too much in-close camerawork, which robbed the whole production of a lot of its normal beauty and flow when you saw how hard the performers were working.

I'm sure I'll buy the DVD down the road.
gh

Postby Marlow » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:23 am

gh wrote:Local reviewer was turned off by it; probably because, as he noted, it was a thinly disguised commercial for the 7 properties currently showing in Vegas.

Absolutely! So guess how hard they worked to make it look good?

gh wrote:He also thought there was far too much in-close camerawork, which robbed the whole production of a lot of its normal beauty and flow when you saw how hard the performers were working.

Just the opposite. I've seen one of their live shows many times and wished I could get a closer look at the phenomenal athlete/dancers.
Marlow

Postby Tuariki » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:31 am

I saw them live in Auckland a couple of years ago. Simply stunning and unbelievable
Tuariki

Postby Marlow » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:34 am

Tuariki wrote:Simply stunning and unbelievable

That's where I am on them. I see stuff that I don't think Olympic-caliber gymnasts should be able to do and they do them 'effortlessly' and gracefully.
Marlow