Friedrich to do LJ

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Friedrich to do LJ

Postby Gabriella » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:04 am

Ariane Friedrich will compete in the LJ in the upcoming indoor season. Apparently she's well recovered from her Achilles operation now and get speed is good. She's looking at over 6.50 and if she achieves this she may compete in it outdoors too.
Gabriella

Re: Friedrich to do LJ

Postby Atanvarno » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Gabriella wrote:6.50 and if she achieves this she may compete in it outdoors too.

Where did you get that from? All reports I read say, that she will return to the high jump in the summer.
But Günther Eisinger, her coach, also said that she could run a few 200s or 400s indoors.
Atanvarno

Re: Friedrich to do LJ

Postby Gabriella » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:02 am

I've read a few articles, Steeple, Bild and another which I can't remember :?

They've all had a slightly different slant, Steeple not mentioning the 200/400 but the Bild one did, although it wasn't clear to me whether that was indoors or just the odd one occasionally (including outdoors) as my German is rusty!

All seemed to be saying that she can't do the weight training necessary for the HJ and as she has good speed the LJ makes sense, but only if she can go over 6.50 or there's no point.

I remember seeing Friedrich jump at the European Cup in 2005 and thinking she approaches the bar so fast, she should do the LJ. I think Chaunte Lowe's 2.05/6.90 may have inspired her :D
Gabriella