Should I have been banned for the last week?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Should I have been banned for the last week?

Postby Marlow » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:57 am

Anthony Treacher wrote:(Oh Lord. Now I've gone and googled "Hobbit." And I am definitely not a better man for it. I knew these athletics forums were bad for you. Back to my Chinese radicals.)

Hey now, referring to anything JRR Tolkeinian (except the overwrought movie) as 'bad' is a bannable offense!!!
Marlow

Postby Anthony Treacher » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:05 pm

Oh. No matter. I'm used to being banned for nothing. Incidentally I left that google "Hobbit" search in rather a hurry.
Anthony Treacher

Postby Blues » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Anthony Treacher wrote:Blues. Sorry. But that is utterly ridiculous. I did not refer tothe athlete's colour at all. How on earth can you even intimate that I did?

But I will edit my post to "non-white" if it makes things better - or makes any difference to anyone's skin colour or feelings.

Why can you not just accept my point that I was banned unjustly by a politically correct, conflict-avoiding Admin when unjustly being called a racist (and incidentally - when I think of it now - subjected to reverse racism or whatever it is called?)

I am not intimating anything Anthony. But you just described non-white athletes in your post here as "coloured", so I was just trying to let you know that here in the USA that's often taken to be an offensive term, because of the past history of the way the term was used. So if you unwarily used it in the group you got banned from, then it might have influenced whether some in the group interpreted your remarks as racist or not, even if there was no racism in your intent.

Edit- The term "colored" reminds many here in the USA of the segregation and greater degrees of racial prejudice that existed prior to the Civil Rights Movement, as the photos in the links below demonstrate.

http://media2.woodtv.com//photo/2012/04 ... 40_480.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vX7q19wyT0M/S ... water1.jpg
Blues

Postby Anthony Treacher » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Sorry Blues. With respect. You are still not debating my point.

I have taken great pains to point out to you that in my original posts on that masters athletics forum I did not mention the colour of the suspended masters athlete in any way - i.e. neither coloured nor non-white. It was not an issue for me. However, the racism card was still unjustly used against me, unfortunately by a non-white and with the concurrence of the admin who suspended me instead. I would prefer you to debate that, instead of trying to guide me towards the politically correct terminology in such a condescending way. You are looking for and finding fault, where there is none.

As to the racism card. You may think I am some sort of racist through guilt by association by being naive of contemporary terminology in the USA. If that is what you are trying to say.

But there are social developments in many countries of the world to keep up with. There are more countries in the world to keep abreast with than the USA. However, I am an educated man of 73 and I may know more of this than you think. When I was younger, non-white people in the USA were called negroes, blacks, even niggers. Then at some stage they were called "coloured." That was considered a great advance then. It still is.

Blues, are you "non-white" by chance? If not, you do not really qualify to tell me what terminology to use. So I would like to hear from a "non-white" as to whether or not that person takes offence at being called "coloured." Do it in a PM to me. This is not the forum.
Anthony Treacher

Postby Blues » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Sigh... If this is the way you routinely replied to anybody who responded to you in that group and showed no ill will toward you, I can understand how it might have been easy to get banned... Regardless of my race, I don't have to be non-white to know that certain racial descriptions are offensive here in America.

BUT, since you refuse to accept what I tried to get you to understand, here are a few definitions from well known dictionaries:

Cambridge online dictionary:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... /colored_2

Oxford American Dictionary Online:
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definitio ... ?q=colored

Merriam-Webster.com
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/colored

And here's a educational article regarding the history of the term here in America:
http://ethnicwords.blogspot.com/2009/06 ... lored.html
Blues

Postby Marlow » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Anthony Treacher wrote:I am an educated man of 73 and I may know more of this than you think.

That is not the issue. Your combative contentiousness is.
Marlow

Postby Anthony Treacher » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:46 pm

Blues. Still preaching?

Do you not understand how condescending you are? How can you now possibily infer anything about what I wrote on that masters forum? People like you stifle any discussion and make redress of injustice impossible. I politely wrote on that masters athletics forum that the suspended athlete and his USA relay teammates should return their gold medals. And I took measures quietly offline to ensure that it happened. Ask the WMA President.

As to the racist terminology business, you are bashing on open doors. You must understand that I have taken onboard everything you said.

However I would like to hear from a non-white that he would prefer to be called a "Non-White" and not a "Colored." That is because for every image you produce juxtaposing "Whites" and "Coloreds" in the US, I can produce an equivalently disgraceful image juxtaposing "Whites" and "Non-Whites" in apartheid South Africa. So as an inocent abroad, I honestly do not see any progress in being called a "Non-White" instead of "Colored." Get it?

Anyway you can have the last word. Try to keep it on topic.
Anthony Treacher

Postby Tuariki » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:57 pm

Hmmm. I think I might qualify for non-white. Although my Mum is white from Blackheath, London my father is Maori; maybe off-white is a better description.

However,I think I will pass on this debate as I have enough on my hands at the moment going backwards and forwards with Marlow on the pros and cons of paid consensual enjoyments; or in current popular terminology, "favors".
Tuariki

Postby gh » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:02 pm

Let's leave it at this: the use of the term "colored" is completely out of bounds. We'll cut Mr. T some slack for being culturally unaware, but any repeat performance is a life ban.

It's an abbhorent term on these shores and will not be tolerated.
gh

Previous