T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby preston » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:33 pm

mump boy wrote:So guidelines are as follows

1. DM me your top 20 favourite Olympic Moments. Nominations will open at 00.01 GMT tomorrow Thursday and close on 23.59 GMT on Sat 30th. Include FULL names, dates and events. If it is a 'moment' rather than a race etc please include a brief explanation for clarity.

2. All nominations should be in decending order and clearly marked from 20th to 1st

3. Moments must involve Track and Field Athletes and have taken place, in, around or during a Summer Olympic Games. In can happen off of the track but only in the duration of the games.

4. You can enter a maximum of half (10) nominations from your own country. Please put your country of origin at the top of your nominations.

5. I will only accept your first entry, i'm not making changes once they have been submitted

6. If there is any confusion over the 'moment' that will impact on a placement, i will make an informed decision. Speaking to the participants involved if necessary.

7. Anyone who chooses to disrupt, antagonise or in any other way spoil the thread for everyone else will had their nominations withdrawn. This is supped to be a fun and informative exercise not a forum for personal vendettas and obnoxiousness

8. Everyone is responsible for the dates and spelling of their nominations. I will take no responsibility for fact checking.

9. There is absolutely no compulsion post your thoughts and feeling about your nominations after they have been announced but i and many others would appreciate a few lines of explanation.

10. NO TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU NOMINATED OR WHAT YOU THINK WILL BE RANKED UNTIL AFTER IT HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED

11. Personal relationships with athletes can of course influence favourite moments, so while i won't ban such nominations (someone i went to school with ran in the 400m in 76 etc) i would ask that people keep them to a minimum and try and choose moments that others can remember and appreciate.

12. No can use the names of Paula Radcliffe, Derek Redmond or Haile Gebrselassie or Cathy Freeman in their top-19 moments. 20th or not at all, please.

That will do for now, there may be more if think of anything

Let The Games Begin :D
:wink:
preston

Postby ExCoastRanger » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:07 pm

mump boy wrote:
ExCoastRanger wrote:
mump boy wrote:We're definitely going to have a rule limiting votes to only half for your own country though....

That seems like it has the potential making of a list of some personal favorites, plus some others that had to be listed just to complete the list.

Or a way of encouraging people stretch their horizons and appreciate the sport as a whole and not just their countrymen winning gold medals

I could quite easily do a top 20 of UK moments but it's much more interesting if i have to look further at less obvious things to appreciate.

I appreciate opportunities to stretch my horizons. I have a decent global, historical view of the sport (But many of you on this board have deep, deep knowledge that is really extraordinary --and appreciated-- even for somebody who has followed t&f as best as he could for three decades or more in what has essentially been a desert wasteland of t&f coverage in the U.S. with a few exceptions).
I can come up with 20 great moments. Haven't given it much thought yet, but I can't imagine it would hard to balance it internationally. If I play I'll dig deeper into the history and see what stands out. But you know, favorites are favourites, and if six of 10 happen to be "American moments" and one has to edit the list to fit the rules then it's either not an honest list or it's a list of something other than true favorites. Or favourites.
Regardless, it'll be an interesting, informative thread. It'll be fun whether I opine or not.
ExCoastRanger

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:07 pm

I find that my initial notes are heavily American in orientation. Given the long, broad success of the US in the Games I think it not surprising. In the era where a lot of non-Americans dominated the top-10 in the AOY, you find an awful lot of athletes from the GDR and it is hard not to think of those as compromised. I certainly cannot and will not say that Waldemar Cierpinski's double marathon victories were on par with Bikila's (which will be in my top 20, not sure if it will be Rome or both quite yet).
26mi235

Postby mump boy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:35 am

Daisy wrote:
mump boy wrote:8. Everyone is responsible for the dates and spelling of their nominations. I will take no responsibility for fact checking.

Dates? Is just the year OK?

It's just the year but if someone gets it wrong and i don't spot it don't blame me :P
mump boy

Postby Olli » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:13 am

1. DM me your top 20 favourite Olympic Moments.

A stupid question: what does "DM" mean?

(This message board is full of abbreviations that I — a non-native English-speaker — find hard to understand, even though they seem to be obvious for all others. For example, I spent a long time before finally figuring out what GOAT means [it's not the bearded animal, is it?].)
Olli

Postby mump boy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:21 am

Olli wrote:

(This message board is full of abbreviations that I — a non-native English-speaker — find hard to understand, even though they seem to be obvious for all others. For example, I spent a long time before finally figuring out what GOAT means [it's not the bearded animal, is it?].)

Sorry i meant PM (personal message)
mump boy

Postby dj » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:22 am

mump boy wrote:
Olli wrote:

Oh, no. Nump boy is already having trouble with spelling! :)
dj

Postby mump boy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:56 am

dj wrote:
mump boy wrote:
Olli wrote:

Oh, no. Nump boy is already having trouble with spelling! :)

haha here we go again :?

I just got my first correct nomination in :D
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:51 am

Thanks for all the entries

keep them coming :D
mump boy

Postby doug5321 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:16 am

meseret defar celebrating her olympic 5000 win with the picture of jesus and the virgin mary.

religion is under attack, God was boo'd at the democratic convention.
there are idiots trying to get in God we trust off money, also they are trying to get one nation under God out of the pledge of allegiance.

yet meseret defar after her olympic win shows on world wide tv after her olympic win that she will not cower to these people who want to get rid of religion God bless her.

that is my favorite olympic moment.

on another note, i hope everyone has a marry christmas, and a happy world championship new year.
doug5321

Postby mump boy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:49 am

doug5321 wrote:meseret defar celebrating her olympic 5000 win with the picture of jesus and the virgin mary.

religion is under attack, God was boo'd at the democratic convention.
there are idiots trying to get in God we trust off money, also they are trying to get one nation under God out of the pledge of allegiance.

yet meseret defar after her olympic win shows on world wide tv after her olympic win that she will not cower to these people who want to get rid of religion God bless her.

that is my favorite olympic moment.

on another note, i hope everyone has a marry christmas, and a happy world championship new year.

There is a MASSIVE difference between a personal celebration and enforcing your beliefs in others !!

Anyway if you'd like to nominate her please PM me along with the rest of your choices
mump boy

Postby Gabriella » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:19 am

26mi235 wrote: In the era where a lot of non-Americans dominated the top-10 in the AOY, you find an awful lot of athletes from the GDR and it is hard not to think of those as compromised.

And yet I will bet you will have a certain female American 'legend' in your list.

It's going to come down to personal opinion whether athletes perceived as compromised are included. Rules-wise, there's nothing to stop any of us including any Olympic participating athlete. I imagine for some, the Adams/Ostapchuk incident this year may feature!
Gabriella

Postby lionelp1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:54 am

Gabriella wrote:
26mi235 wrote: In the era where a lot of non-Americans dominated the top-10 in the AOY, you find an awful lot of athletes from the GDR and it is hard not to think of those as compromised.

And yet I will bet you will have a certain female American 'legend' in your list.

It's going to come down to personal opinion whether athletes perceived as compromised are included. Rules-wise, there's nothing to stop any of us including any Olympic participating athlete. I imagine for some, the Adams/Ostapchuk incident this year may feature!

Maybe a lot of East Europeans are and have been compromised, not all by any means, but for goodness sake remember the number of Americans who have been compromised as fact, plus those that will always be regarded by many fans as more than a little dubious., especially in the 80s when politics was of highly significant paramountcy with the USOC, to whom medals in the OGs mattered more than any question of integrity imo.
lionelp1

Postby mump boy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:56 am

NO MORE DRUG TALK

PEOPLE CAN NOMINATE ANY MOMENT THEY LIKE
mump boy

Postby lionelp1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:48 am

Even Marion Jones etc etc, Mump boy.

I understand your need to be tolerant on this fun thread, but surely for you, who has always taken a justifiably strong stance on the "nasty" people, that's a tolerance too far. :(
lionelp1

Postby Pego » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:20 pm

lionelp1 wrote:Even Marion Jones etc etc, Mump boy.

I understand your need to be tolerant on this fun thread, but surely for you, who has always taken a justifiably strong stance on the "nasty" people, that's a tolerance too far. :(

Nobody asks you to participate. You have your moments, I have mine. I am not shitting on yours, I expect that you don't on mine as much as you might disapprove. Fair?
Pego

Postby mump boy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:32 pm

I just don't want this thread to descend into another argument about drug use

I've asked for people's favourite if they include drug cheats i won't agree but won't be bothering to argue with it.
Last edited by mump boy on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby lionelp1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Pego wrote:

Nobody asks you to participate. You have your moments, I have mine. I am not shitting on yours, I expect that you don't on mine as much as you might disapprove. Fair?

How sad is this post . I dont care whether you approve or not of my thoughts ; I suppose you are just a fan who doesnt care about people like MJ as long as she wins your precious Goldies :lol:" you have your moments" WTF does that mean relevant to the comments I made

Sorry Mump, but some things just rile; I won't speak further about silly twerps picking any cheats in their choices; well not till its all over anyway.
lionelp1

Postby Pego » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:35 pm

lionelp1 wrote: I won't speak further about silly twerps picking any cheats in their choices

Silly twerp, eh? I've been called worse.
Pego

Postby Flumpy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:29 pm

No one has picked anyone yet. Can we at least wait for the results before the arguments begin???
Flumpy

Postby Daisy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:32 pm

I guess I'm going to be in big trouble if I go with Ben Johnson.
Daisy

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:38 pm

Flumpy wrote:No one has picked anyone yet. Can we at least wait for the results before the arguments begin???

Why? At least everyone knows what they are getting into.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby mump boy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:52 pm

Moving on

thanks for the entries

But can i please remind people that this is OLYMPIC TRACK MOMENTS not just olympic moments

I'm not counting anything that didn't involve a track and field athlete be on or off the track. So if a T&F athlete, wins a race, lights the flame, gets married etc etc it's all fair game but not so by anyone from a different sport
Last edited by mump boy on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Daisy wrote:I guess I'm going to be in big trouble if I go with Ben Johnson.

I think it is perfectly legitimate for Ben Johnson's race and subsequent DQ to be on someone's favourite moment list no matter how anti PED's you may be. It is one of the biggest things to ever happen at an olympic games

This is about favourite moments, they don't necessarily have to be positive ones
mump boy

Postby Tuariki » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:35 pm

mump boy wrote:

I think it is perfectly legitimate for Ben Johnson's race and subsequent DQ to be on someone's favourite moment list no matter how anti PED's you may be. It is one of the biggest things to ever happen at an olympic games

This is about favourite moments, they don't necessarily have to be positive ones

Well said.

Purely as an example, am I correct in saying that it would be quite legitimate for a Canadian fan to say that 2 of his/her favourite moments were:

1. When Ben Johnson won the gold medal in Seoul. Because as a diehard Canadian fan that was an incredible moment for Canadians - at least for 24 hours.

2. When it was announced that Ben Johnson was DQ'd for drugs 24 hours after wining the Seoul Gold. Because besides being a diehard Canadian fan he/she is also a rabid anti-drugs campaigner.

The reason I have put forward these 2 scenarios is because your poll talks about the "moment" and while I accept my scenario is somewhat strange it seems to fit the criteria.
Tuariki

Postby bushop » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Pego wrote:
lionelp1 wrote:Even Marion Jones etc... that's a tolerance too far. :(
Nobody asks you to participate... Fair?

mump boy is right on... threads like this help us discover new ways of looking at historical situations... we don't need our opinions constantly validated; we need them regularly challenged.
bushop

Postby bushop » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:54 pm

I hope not. Just because one does not celebrate the winning athlete in a moment does not mean that moment cannot be someone's favourite. mump boy is asking for your favourite, not your feel good or happiest moment(s).
bushop

Postby Per Andersen » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:42 pm

So is it Olympic moment or is it not?. If not, change the heading.
Per Andersen

Postby LopenUupunut » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:13 am

Per Andersen wrote:So is it Olympic moment or is it not?. If not, change the heading.
I think mump just wanted to remind us we can't include Olympic moments with no T&F angle. It says pretty clearly in the rules that non-Olympic moments are out:
mump boy wrote:3. Moments must involve Track and Field Athletes and have taken place, in, around or during a Summer Olympic Games. In can happen off of the track but only in the duration of the games.
LopenUupunut

Postby mump boy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:56 am

Sorry my clarification as unclear !!

It's OLYMPIC TRACK AND FIELD MOMENTS

all moments have to involve track and field no other sports or people from other sports

for example is a T&F athlete lights the flame, it's in. If an archer does it it's not

So the moment doesn't have to take place during the t&f programme but it does have to involve track and field participants. Alternatively it could take place during the programme but not involve athletes but officials, fans etc
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:19 am

I'm having trouble deciding what to do about events that took place before my time. I'm considering including one because I've watched it on so many occasions, but I'm not sure I can properly appreciate a 'moment' if I didn't actually witness it first hand??? :?
Flumpy

Postby Daisy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:26 am

Flumpy wrote:I'm having trouble deciding what to do about events that took place before my time. I'm considering including one because I've watched it on so many occasions, but I'm not sure I can properly appreciate a 'moment' if I didn't actually witness it first hand??? :?

That's a good compromise, and along the lines of where my votes are stacking up too.
Daisy

Postby Pego » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:57 am

Daisy wrote:
Flumpy wrote:I'm having trouble deciding what to do about events that took place before my time. I'm considering including one because I've watched it on so many occasions, but I'm not sure I can properly appreciate a 'moment' if I didn't actually witness it first hand??? :?

That's a good compromise, and along the lines of where my votes are stacking up too.

I only included the ones I personally experienced (all radio/TV).
Pego

Postby mump boy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:22 am

Have some favourite moments that i didn't experience personally but i go back to time and time again

I might have quite few retro ones :D
mump boy

Postby Daisy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:09 am

Pego wrote:I only included the ones I personally experienced (all radio/TV).

But you have so much to choose from, unlike us youngsters! :twisted:
Daisy

Postby mump boy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:19 am

Daisy wrote:

:lol: :lol:
mump boy

Postby Pego » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:18 am

Daisy wrote:

Damn right :wink: .
Pego

Postby bushop » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:21 am

Pego wrote:
Daisy wrote:
I only included the ones I personally experienced (all radio/TV).

A couple of mine are only in print... no one but the participants experienced the moment.
I've watched some of them dozens of times on video... two of them over one hundred times.
bushop

Postby tandfman » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:42 pm

bushop wrote:A couple of mine are only in print... no one but the participants experienced the moment. I've watched some of them dozens of times on video... two of them over one hundred times.

Pardon my curiosity, but I'd be interested to know which two events you've watched over 100 times. I cannot imagine watching any event, no matter how great, that many times unless perhaps I was somehow personally involved in it, as an athlete, coach, parent, etc.

PS - "It's none of your damned business" is a perfectly acceptable response.
tandfman

Postby bobguild76 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:43 pm

mump boy ... You rock! It has been wonderful sifting through my (fading) memories, the copies of all my T&FNs (yes ... I have them back to 1971, just like most T&FN fanatics!), and the comments on this thread. I am eagerly awaiting the countdown!
bobguild76

PreviousNext