NCAA Football Steroids

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

NCAA Football Steroids

Postby Marlow » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:41 am

I see another front-page article on its pervasive influence in college football. It's been the 800-pound gorilla in the room ever since 300-pound linemen became so common. The only 'normal' 20-year-olds that can get that big are morbidly obese and aren't running 4.9 40s and benching 400 lbs. :roll:
Last edited by Marlow on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marlow

Re: NCAA Football Steriods

Postby preston » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:13 pm

That's untrue. It is very possible that some are clean and maybe all are clean! (I'm not prepared to say ALL of the combine participants are clean just like I'm not prepared to say that all of the USA, GBR and GER Olympic PV, w/m-15, w/m-Mar teams were clean. ) And, you don't have to slander football when track and field has the same "problem" on the NCAA level. Trust me, football knows - and their fans don't care.

The reality is that you can find these people and they are extremely rare. At the 2012 combine only 3 people weighing 300+ in the positions of OL, DL, C, or DT ran less than 5 seconds. All 3 were over 6'4.75" (they are weighed and measure accurately) and the fastest of the three was a seriously blazing 4.6x for a 327lb'er!

I wouldn't be surprised if there are 15 shotputters worldwide, in excess of 285+ who can run sub 5 for the 40!
preston

Postby Marlow » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:27 pm

preston wrote:maybe all are clean! . . . you don't have to slander football when track and field has the same "problem" on the NCAA level.

Even with your caveat, that's too big a bite to chew. I said nothing about T&F's dirtiness, which continues, even if it's down from it's hay-day (70s, 80s, 90s). In big-time D1 college football, steroids are VERY common (and that comes from eye-witness accounts from my former students).
Marlow

Postby preston » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Marlow wrote:
preston wrote:maybe all are clean! . . . you don't have to slander football when track and field has the same "problem" on the NCAA level.

Even with your caveat, that's too big a bite to chew. I said nothing about T&F's dirtiness, which continues, even if it's down from it's hay-day (70s, 80s, 90s). In big-time D1 college football, steroids are VERY common (and that comes from eye-witness accounts from my former students).

Marlow, you've said nothing new there...I'm only saying that if all of these guys live together and are in the same fraternities, what makes you think that it's confined to football? Hackett of TRI was busted for the same thing, 6 months apart, at LSU. I have no reason to believe that Shaver is a dirty coach - in fact, I think he's as clean as any - but it happened and it happened when she was at LSU. Where did she get it? And, no one else in the entire athletic department took something similar? Football, track, hell lacrosse. If they think they can gain an edge, they will take it.
preston

Postby gh » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:37 pm

preston wrote:..... And, you don't have to slander football when track and field has the same "problem" on the NCAA level. ....

I'm guessing that's not quite true. All the top-end track people know they're puting themselves in a position where random testing enters into things (as with Hacket's first methylhex bust). Football players never have to fear that, so can be far more loosey-goosey in their approach to shooting up.
gh

Postby Blues » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:38 pm

preston wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Marlow, you've said nothing new there...I'm only saying that if all of these guys live together and are in the same fraternities, what makes you think that it's confined to football? Hackett of TRI was busted for the same thing, 6 months apart, at LSU. I have no reason to believe that Shaver is a dirty coach - in fact, I think he's as clean as any - but it happened and it happened when she was at LSU. Where did she get it? And, no one else in the entire athletic department took something similar? Football, track, hell lacrosse. If they think they can gain an edge, they will take it.

The "where did she get it?" part may not be too difficult to answer... She probably got in her car, drove to a shopping center in Baton Rouge, and plopped about 30 bucks down for a can of an over-the-counter pre-workout supplement like Jack3D at a local retail nutrition store like GNC, just like any one of us can do.
Blues

Re: NCAA Football Steroids

Postby lionelp1 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:37 pm

what weird values some people have; no outright,strong criticism of any utterly disgraceful cheat in football because there are some nasty cheats in track and field. Two wrongs do not make a right.

The so called sport or entainment on the football field is at heart dishonest without the rigorous attention to and condemnation of any nasty drugs, and the statement about the fans and the games organisers not caring is pathetic. Why cant you people think straight without the usual feeble excuses etc... the sort of mentality that allowed LA and his merry men to cheat for years.
lionelp1

Postby lionelp1 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Can someone give me a convincing reason why the top echelon of control in your national entertainments, such as Baseball and Football whether college or post college level, don't really give a toss about supplements, medical "assistance", steroids etc etc.?
lionelp1

Postby gh » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:35 am

Yeah, let's talk about the beauty of British soccer:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/blogs/101 ... d-it-would
gh

Postby bushop » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:24 am

lionelp1 wrote:Can someone give me a convincing reason why the top echelon of control in your national entertainments, such as Baseball and Football whether college or post college level, don't really give a toss about supplements, medical "assistance", steroids etc etc.?

Money.
If fans found out the extent of the PED use some would loose interest.
Without PED use more players spend more time injured and on the sidelines... less fan interest.
bushop

Postby Blues » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:02 am

bushop wrote:
lionelp1 wrote:Can someone give me a convincing reason why the top echelon of control in your national entertainments, such as Baseball and Football whether college or post college level, don't really give a toss about supplements, medical "assistance", steroids etc etc.?

Money.
If fans found out the extent of the PED use some would loose interest.
Without PED use more players spend more time injured and on the sidelines... less fan interest.

True, and bigger, stronger, faster, makes a more spectacular product for the public, which can lead to more money in the pockets of the organizations or leagues involved, which could provide more of an incentive to look the other way at times... And in team sports, the victims cheated by drug cheats aren't as readily identifiable as they are in individual sports, so cheating in team sports doesn't usually inspire as much outrage from the public. Drug usage in individual sports like track and field usually plays a far greater role in determining who actually wins the contest, which makes a difference in how much outrage the possibility of PED use causes.

Clean athletes who may have lost the chance for medals due to Marion Jones' drug usage, for example, are much easier for the public to empathize with, and feel outraged about, as opposed to any clean offensive tackles who may have had to block steroided up defensive ends, with possibly no effect on the the final outcome of the contest. It's a lot easier to come to the conclusion that one's favorite athlete lost solely because of drug use by the winner, than it is to come to the conclusion that one's favorite football or baseball team lost solely because of drug use by a player on the winning team. There's obviously more involved, but that could have at least a little to do with the apparent double standards, if there indeed are double standards

Also, the players unions in the professional team sports mentioned have far more power than athletes in track and field do. That plays a part in what's included in the collective bargaining agreements between players and owners, which can included drug testing issues.
Blues