T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby Pego » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:19 am

mump boy wrote:I'm going to play it by ear and maybe talk to individual voters before adding up anything that may be contentious

I just don't want 'moments' that a lot of people favour to be low ranked because everyone chose specifics

Does that sound fair ?

Yes, I'd say you should use the judge's prerogative and streamline certain/most/all submissions to fit your Gestalt.
Pego

Postby lionelp1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:03 am

If you take Zatopeks great treble in @52 it was not a great moment to have seen him win either the 5 or 10 K , probably his first Marathon, yes , but clearly the great "moment" was the act of chalking up all three in a week.... lets call it a "culmination" moment. However should not the rules clearly state that any "moment" must be in the same Games... so for example if ones favourite moment was when Oerter won his 4th gold or Lewis won his 4th LJ Gold the culmination was the moment when they actually in one games achieved a fourth in a row... am I making myself clear? Mump , your thoughts?
Last edited by lionelp1 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
lionelp1

Postby lionelp1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:09 am

Is it being too bolshie to request posters to give the reasons why they chose the particular "moments" after they have done so on PM but of course in the TFNForum.
lionelp1

Postby gh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:09 am

Rog wrote:Can we include Paralympic as well as Olympic athletics?

Do that and you might as well include gymnastics, swimming, whatever. I would posit for the great majority of people, the Paralympics is as far removed from the general thrust of our sport as are those other disciplines.
gh

Postby Marlow » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:16 am

gh wrote:Do that and you might as well include gymnastics, swimming, whatever. I would posit for the great majority of people, the Paralympics is as far removed from the general thrust of our sport as are those other disciplines.

I may get booed off the stage here, but what I've seen of the Paralympics (not a lot), it seems like we have the Blade Runner issue in spades: everyone has a slightly different version of the 'limitation' and so it isn't a 'fair' competition.
Marlow

Postby gh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 am

lionelp1 wrote:Is it being too bolshie to request posters to give the reasons why they chose the particular "moments" after they have done so on PM but of course in the TFNForum.

I don't know about "bolshie," but I suspect it would remove a lot of the fun from it for some people. Somethings are wonderful just because they are, and any attempt to explain it only diminishes the magic.
gh

Postby dj » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:11 am

Powell wrote:
lonewolf wrote:A moment is a moment..one event, which might include multiple people (relay) but no cumulative/multiple moments ascribed to one person.

Look at USATF's list of top 25 moments in their history:
http://www.usatf.org/promotions/Top25Moments/

Their no. 3 'moment' was something that lasted 10 years :D

Some problems with a streak as a moment. It's cumulative, thus the last marker in the streak is the "moment" for that streak. Or, one can choose either the moment at which the previous record was tied or broken.

When DiMaggio hit in 56 straight games, which game became the one most talked about? The 56th game, the 44th when he tied Willie Keeler's record, the 45th when he broke the record, or the streak-ending 57th game? It's the 57th game, which is about the only reason a current baseball fan has ever heard of Ken Keltner.

Do you remember Moses's last win or that Danny Harris beat him to end the streak? And do you even know what the previous 400H streak record was and who held it?
dj

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:49 am

lionelp1 wrote:If you take Zatopeks great treble in @52 it was not a great moment to have seen him win either the 5 or 10 K , probably his first Marathon, yes , but clearly the great "moment" was the act of chalking up all three in a week.... lets call it a "culmination" moment. However should not the rules clearly state that any "moment" must be in the same Games... so for example if ones favourite moment was when Oerter won his 4th gold or Lewis won his 4th LJ Gold the culmination was the moment when they actually in one games achieved a fourth in a row... am I making myself clear? Mump , your thoughts?

Perfectly clear and agreed
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:52 am

lionelp1 wrote:Is it being too bolshie to request posters to give the reasons why they chose the particular "moments" after they have done so on PM but of course in the TFNForum.

That's the whole point of the thread, i hope everyone will tell us why they chose specific moments and start discussions :D
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:53 am

gh wrote:
Rog wrote:Can we include Paralympic as well as Olympic athletics?

Do that and you might as well include gymnastics, swimming, whatever. I would posit for the great majority of people, the Paralympics is as far removed from the general thrust of our sport as are those other disciplines.

I agree but in the spirit of equality i see no problem in a few people naming Paralympic moments. I can't imagine there will be many
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:54 am

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:Do that and you might as well include gymnastics, swimming, whatever. I would posit for the great majority of people, the Paralympics is as far removed from the general thrust of our sport as are those other disciplines.

I may get booed off the stage here, but what I've seen of the Paralympics (not a lot), it seems like we have the Blade Runner issue in spades: everyone has a slightly different version of the 'limitation' and so it isn't a 'fair' competition.

This ^ x 10
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:57 am

gh wrote:

I don't know about "bolshie," but I suspect it would remove a lot of the fun from it for some people. Somethings are wonderful just because they are, and any attempt to explain it only diminishes the magic.

The whole point is to encourage discussion, i'd love to hear people's reasons for their favourite moments but there is no compulsion to contribute anything other than your list
mump boy

Postby preston » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 am

mump boy wrote:
gh wrote:

The whole point is to encourage discussion, i'd love to hear people's reasons for their favourite moments but there is no compulsion to contribute anything other than your list

The why is very important.

Example: I rank Fani Halkia's 2004 Athens win very high and Mump can't rank it low enough. It's that type of contrast where I can "equate" that win in my mind to Mo's double or his 10k win or even the reshuffling of the order so Brits could sing the national anthem to close the night in Mumps!
preston

Postby Daisy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:12 am

mump boy wrote:The whole point is to encourage discussion, i'd love to hear people's reasons for their favourite moments

I agree, and no one is forced to do it.
Daisy

Postby gh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:24 am

color me an unrepentant elitist; if somebody's choice doesn't resonate ("make sense") off the top, then I really don't care why you liked it; it's obviously a personal reason that is little interest to the masses.
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:28 am

I would think that if one of the top moments was commented on it would both be interesting and not overwhelming. I would think that either #1 or a relatively unusual selection would be the most interesting to read (e.g., one seen in person or some personal connection).
26mi235

Postby gh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:35 pm

the Grinch must have stolen my Xmas spirit.

I find the thought of somebody's "personal connection" for a major Olympic moment to be the track equivalent of being at a friend's house and hearing the dreaded "have you seen the slides of our vacation?"
gh

Postby preston » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:51 pm

gh wrote:the Grinch must have stolen my Xmas spirit.

I find the thought of somebody's "personal connection" for a major Olympic moment to be the track equivalent of being at a friend's house and hearing the dreaded "have you seen the slides of our vacation?"

Yup, makes sense. Personal connection is overblown; everyone should feel the same way :?

-John Walker? He only won one 15...at least 20 others just like him, right?
-Daley Thompson? So...
-imagine all the people wondering what Peter Norman is doing up there with Carlos and Smith
-Benoit Samuelson...just another Marathoner right?
-Moses? Come on, the guy came out of nowhere! Morehouse?
-Wilma Rudolph? And? was she even first?
-Liu winning a gold in 110h. China has a billion people. Surely they could find one with top sprint ability, right?

You're right, gh! It's all about the numbers...the personal is superfluous. OK, everybody, you don't have to note the why! :roll:
preston

Postby kuha » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:16 pm

But your original comment was more true than not. Explanations of these things are basically tautologies: I really like this because....I really like it. The reasons range from the objectively obvious to personal stuff that won't mean anything to anyone else.
kuha

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:46 pm

If people would like to post their reasons great, if they don't then don't !!
mump boy

Postby Daisy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:58 pm

I like to read the rationales as I sometimes see a perspective I had not thought about before.
Daisy

Postby Mighty Favog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Point taken, and mostly I agree. I don't think I can justify putting a guy winning HJ silver on the list even if his two younger brothers happen to currently be students of mine (Kynard). On the other hand, I can easily justify putting Dave Wottle's win on the list, and I'll secretly give him extra points because he ran for my alma mater.

On a larger scale, giving preference to a great moment just because of the nationality of the person in question is still on some level a "personal" connection, and I can't imagine that any of us have a problem with that.

Also, no one under 40 even knows what a slide is anymore. :wink:
Mighty Favog

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:21 pm

Mighty Favog wrote:

Point taken, and mostly I agree. I don't think I can justify putting a guy winning HJ silver on the list even if his two younger brothers happen to currently be students of mine (Kynard). On the other hand, I can easily justify putting Dave Wottle's win on the list, and I'll secretly give him extra points because he ran for my alma mater.

On a larger scale, giving preference to a great moment just because of the nationality of the person in question is still on some level a "personal" connection, and I can't imagine that any of us have a problem with that.

Also, no one under 40 even knows what a slide is anymore. :wink:

There's no problem with voting for something very personal (like you know the person) just as long as your list is not full of them

We're definitely going to have a rule limiting votes to only half for your own country though

I'm still undecided if to ask for list of 10 or 20
mump boy

Postby Pego » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:42 pm

mump boy wrote:I'm still undecided if to ask for list of 10 or 20

I vote for 10. It becomes much less clear after that.
Pego

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:15 pm

Pego wrote:
mump boy wrote:I'm still undecided if to ask for list of 10 or 20

I vote for 10. It becomes much less clear after that.

Also MUCH more work

You've persuaded me :D
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:17 pm

gh wrote:color me an unrepentant elitist; if somebody's choice doesn't resonate ("make sense") off the top, then I really don't care why you liked it; it's obviously a personal reason that is little interest to the masses.

In that case you may as well close the whole forum :?
Flumpy

Postby bushop » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:22 pm

gh wrote:I find the thought of somebody's "personal connection" for a major Olympic moment to be...

... a way for novices like myself and my athletes to learn about the specialness of Olympic moments we had no previos knowledge of... a track & field history lesson.
bushop

Postby Flumpy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Exacty.

There are going to be loads of moments in my list that won't make any sense at all without an explanation.

Not every 'favourite' moment is going to be a gold medal or WR.

Personally I vote for 20. I could easily come up with 50 so whittling it down to 10 will be impossible + more moments means less fun :D
Flumpy

Postby gh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Flumpy wrote:
gh wrote:color me an unrepentant elitist; if somebody's choice doesn't resonate ("make sense") off the top, then I really don't care why you liked it; it's obviously a personal reason that is little interest to the masses.

In that case you may as well close the whole forum :?

Bah, humbug! Where's Tiny Tim so I can kick his crutch out from under him? (I could learn to like this crusty curmudgeon stuff :twisted: )
gh

Postby ExCoastRanger » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:13 pm

mump boy wrote:We're definitely going to have a rule limiting votes to only half for your own country though....

That seems like it has the potential making of a list of some personal favorites, plus some others that had to be listed just to complete the list.
ExCoastRanger

Postby Blues » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:36 pm

gh wrote:let me make this easy and simply point out the slam-dunk best moment ahead of time, save all the sturm und drang: what could possibly top igniting the flame in Seoul and not realizing that a covey of pigeons had taken up residence? Hello roast squab!

LOL... And to think that I discounted all those rumors about the T&FN boardkeeper having a sadistic streak....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-liu1JVo1g
Blues

Postby Dave » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:39 pm

gh wrote:let me make this easy and simply point out the slam-dunk best moment ahead of time, save all the sturm und drang: what could possibly top igniting the flame in Seoul and not realizing that a covey of pigeons had taken up residence? Hello roast squab!

Ok so the contest is for positions 2-10.

That is too wonderful for words (unless you were an organize or pigeon).
Dave

Postby lionelp1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:03 am

I found it very easy and quick to come up with over 20 greatest T and F "moments" from 17 OGs since the end of WW2. I am ready at the starting gates for the off and to be honest if I have to reduce my list to Ten "moments" it will be a little tough. Surely one has to give reasons later for ones choices otherwise, whats the point.

As an elitist( and wtf is the OG about but naked elitism... not too many are interested in a n athlete coming last in their heat etc) I cannot claim much interest in whether somebody went to ones college and other footling reasons, but thats the fave moment for some... just NOT for me.
lionelp1

Postby mump boy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:28 am

ExCoastRanger wrote:
mump boy wrote:We're definitely going to have a rule limiting votes to only half for your own country though....

That seems like it has the potential making of a list of some personal favorites, plus some others that had to be listed just to complete the list.

Or a way of encouraging people stretch their horizons and appreciate the sport as a whole and not just their countrymen winning gold medals

I could quite easily do a top 20 of UK moments but it's much more interesting if i have to look further at less obvious things to appreciate.
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:31 am

I would rather do 20 moments and i'm happy to do so as long as everyone understands it will take longer to get the results and there may be a few mistakes here and there !!

I will post a list of definitive guidelines by the end of the day and entries will be open tomorrow :D
mump boy

Postby Daisy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:58 am

I'm betting that Preston has Derek Redmond in his top three. :twisted:
Daisy

Postby preston » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:37 am

Daisy wrote:I'm betting that Preston has Derek Redmond in his top three. :twisted:

Ok, i laughed so hard I spit out my beverage!!! Damn you, Daisy! :lol:
preston

Postby mump boy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:29 am

So guidelines are as follows

1. PM me your top 20 favourite Olympic Moments. Nominations will open at 00.01 GMT tomorrow Thursday and close on 23.59 GMT on Sat 30th. Include FULL names, dates and events. If it is a 'moment' rather than a race etc please include a brief explanation for clarity.

2. All nominations should be in decending order and clearly marked from 20th to 1st

3. Moments must involve Track and Field Athletes and have taken place, in, around or during a Summer Olympic Games. In can happen off of the track but only in the duration of the games.

4. You can enter a maximum of half (10) nominations from your own country. Please put your country of origin at the top of your nominations.

5. I will only accept your first entry, i'm not making changes once they have been submitted

6. If there is any confusion over the 'moment' that will impact on a placement, i will make an informed decision. Speaking to the participants involved if necessary.

7. Anyone who chooses to disrupt, antagonise or in any other way spoil the thread for everyone else will had their nominations withdrawn. This is supped to be a fun and informative exercise not a forum for personal vendettas and obnoxiousness

8. Everyone is responsible for the dates and spelling of their nominations. I will take no responsibility for fact checking.

9. There is absolutely no compulsion post your thoughts and feeling about your nominations after they have been announced but i and many others would appreciate a few lines of explanation.

10. NO TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU NOMINATED OR WHAT YOU THINK WILL BE RANKED UNTIL AFTER IT HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED

11. Personal relationships with athletes can of course influence favourite moments, so while i won't ban such nominations (someone i went to school with ran in the 400m in 76 etc) i would ask that people keep them to a minimum and try and choose moments that others can remember and appreciate.

That will do for now, there may be more if think of anything

Let The Games Begin :D
Last edited by mump boy on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:32 am

Daisy wrote:I'm betting that Preston has Derek Redmond in his top three. :twisted:

Thanks Daisy, I'd forgotten all about that one :D
Flumpy

Postby Daisy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:06 pm

mump boy wrote:8. Everyone is responsible for the dates and spelling of their nominations. I will take no responsibility for fact checking.

Dates? Is just the year OK?
Daisy

PreviousNext