T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll Results No1 David Rudisha

Postby mump boy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:45 am

Last year i did a favourite athlete poll that seemed to go down a treat with some, so i've decided to do another this year but with a twist. It's pointless to do another favourite athlete poll as it will turn out very similar to last time, so i wanted to do a favourite performance poll but Flump pointed out it was too wide and we'd have 100's of 1 votes and the winning one could have 4 votes, so i've decided to narrow it down.

In celebration of all of our favourite competish and the London being the Olympic GOAT i'm asking you to vote on

T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment of all Time

This should be moments in history of the Olympic Games, Track and Field

It could be a gold medal winning performance, a WR, an amazing surprise, or a shocking controversy for good or bad. Something that added to your Olympic experience but it doesn't always have to be in a wholly positive way.

I'm happy to accept nominations for anything that took place at the Olympic games and the more fun, quirky and different the better but please make most of your selections something that is accessible to everyone. If everyone nominates a friend that went out in the heats it will make for a very dull exercise, please also try not to be too parochial with choices, of course we are all influenced by where we come from but a list full of US and UK choices isn't ideal. To combat this, in the spirit of globalisation and to make you all think a bit harder a maximum of 10 can be from your own country. Also please don't just nominate things that you saw in person, some of my favourite moment happened before i was born but i've read about or watched them so many times they are high up the list.

As last year, the voting works like this

Everyone submits a list of 20 nominations in order of preference
Points are awarded from 1 for 20th place to 20 for 1st place in each persons list

BUT

to rank highly you need to be nominated by more than 1 person. Number of nominations is counted before number of points, therefore someone with 20 nominations but only 20 points will rank above someone with 2 nominations but 40 points.

The objective of this excersise is primarily as a way of provoking conversation and evoking great memories during a time of year when there isn't much to discuss.

IT IS NOT MEANT AS A VEHICLE TOO PROVOKE ARGUMENTS AND NEGATIVITY. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO TAKE PART THAT IS ABSOLUTELY FINE BUT PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SPOILING EVERYONE ELSE'S FUN

At the moment i'm thinking of opening the voting on Thursday 20th and closing it again on Sat 30th which still gives me some time to add everything up during the holidays and we can start the countdown in the new year but If anyone has any suggestion of how we can do things differently or make things run more smoothly then please post here over the next couple of days.

I need all the help i can get :?

I hope this all makes sense any questions please ask

FULL GUIDELINES ARE POSTED ON PAGE 3
Last edited by mump boy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:00 am, edited 19 times in total.
mump boy

Re: T&FN Favourite Olympic Moment Poll

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:05 pm

what about reducing the number of nominations to ten as last time?

Do we have to PM our choices as last year?
lionelp1

Postby mump boy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 pm

i thought about doing that

I think it's a good idea (and less work for me) :D but does it limit variety ?

Yes you will PM choices but not till thurs i have to delete loads of messages to make room first
mump boy

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Top 10 off the top of my head (Men) . . . women later (hint: Stacy's and JJK's OG wins)

10. Edwards 60'
9. Bubka's 20'
8. Beamon 29'
7. Hayes 4x1 Tokyo anchor
6. Moses win streak
5. Oerter's 4th OG gold
4. Powell - Lewis Tokyo duel
3. Wottle 72 OG
2. MJ 19.32 - was there!
1. Eaton Dec WR -was there! My wife and I went hoarse screaming on the 1500 last lap, and then wept openly in joy at his straining finish.
Marlow

Postby bushop » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Marlow wrote:Top 10 off the top of my head (Men) . . . women later (hint: Stacy's and JJK's OG wins)

10. Edwards 60'
9. Bubka's 20'
8. Beamon 29'
6. Moses win streak
5. Oerter's 4th OG gold
3. Wottle 72 OG
2. MJ 19.32 - was there!
1. Eaton Dec WR -was there! My wife and I went hoarse screaming on the 1500 last lap, and then wept openly in joy at his straining finish.

Am I missing something... ?
-- Olympic moment
-- top-20
-- in a PM to mump boy
bushop

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:57 pm

bushop wrote:
Marlow wrote:Top 10 off the top of my head (Men) . . . women later (hint: Stacy's and JJK's OG wins)

10. Edwards 60'
9. Bubka's 20'
8. Beamon 29'
6. Moses win streak
5. Oerter's 4th OG gold
3. Wottle 72 OG
2. MJ 19.32 - was there!

-- Olympic moment
-- top-20
-- in a PM to mump boy

Oooh, I apparently read what I wanted to read. I am hereby DQed from further participation in the voting!
4 of them were OG moments, so there ya go!
Marlow

Postby Flumpy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:10 pm

Just to clarify is a 'moment' a single achievment can it be a number of events combined.

Do Mo's 2 Gold medals count as 1 or 2 moments?

I ask because it could seriously effect the vote. For example if some people vote for Usain's 100m WR in Beijing and others vote for Usain's 3 gold medals in Beijing. Will that be 2 separate events or would they be combined by you when you're counting the vote. It could be the difference between something winning and missing the top 10 completely.

If we split them up separately it could lead to a very samey result but if we combine everything then people can't be specific and it may mean that some people performances are over marked because the athlete managed to win more than 1 medal??? :?
Flumpy

Postby mump boy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:15 pm

10. Edwards 60'
9. Bubka's 20'
8. Beamon 29'
6. Moses win streak
5. Oerter's 4th OG gold
3. Wottle 72 OG
2. MJ 19.32 - was there!

You've jumped the gun Marlow and you know what that means these days !!

But seeing as i'm the ref i'm going to give the whole field a green card :D

Voting doesn't open till Thurs, PM me

Until then please post any ideas and improvements here
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Flumpy wrote:Just to clarify is a 'moment' a single achievment can it be a number of events combined.

Do Mo's 2 Gold medals count as 1 or 2 moments?

I ask because it could seriously effect the vote. For example if some people vote for Usain's 100m WR in Beijing and others vote for Usain's 3 gold medals in Beijing. Will that be 2 separate events or would they be combined by you when you're counting the vote. It could be the difference between something winning and missing the top 10 completely.

If we split them up separately it could lead to a very samey result but if we combine everything then people can't be specific and it may mean that some people performances are over marked because the athlete managed to win more than 1 medal??? :?

Mmm, not sure.

i'm inclined to say multiple medals or performances count as one event to avoid confusion.

But i'm open to other thoughts
mump boy

Postby bushop » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Marlow wrote:
bushop wrote:
Marlow wrote:Top 10 off the top of my head (Men) . . . women later (hint: Stacy's and JJK's OG wins)10. Edwards 60' 9. Bubka's 20' 8. Beamon 29' 7. Hayes 4x1 Tokyo anchor 6. Moses win streak 5. Oerter's 4th OG gold 4. Powell - Lewis Tokyo duel 3. Wottle 72 OG 2. MJ 19.32 - was there! 1. Eaton Dec WR -was there! My wife and I went hoarse screaming on the 1500 last lap, and then wept openly in joy at his straining finish.
-- Olympic moment
-- top-20
-- in a PM to mump boy
Oooh, I apparently read what I wanted to read. I am hereby DQed from further participation in the voting! 4 of them were OG moments, so there ya go!

Good... while my literacy skills are lacking; I didn't think I'd read it that poorly.
bushop

Postby Flumpy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Or what if some people vote for Super Saturday and other for Jess' Hep win???
Flumpy

Postby bushop » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:25 pm

mump boy wrote:
Flumpy wrote:Just to clarify is a 'moment' a single achievment can it be a number of events combined.:?
i'm inclined to say multiple medals or performances count as one event to avoid confusion. But i'm open to other thoughts

By definition a moment would speak to a single medal... a moment in time. So grouping multiple events or years would not be a moment.
- Is there one event, attempt, moment in the decathlon that was special?
- Was there a tactical move in the 800m that was exceptional?
- Does a connection made between two athletes during a conversation mean something special to you?

I'm not saying how it should be, just offering one option.
bushop

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:30 pm

As impressive as Rudisha was my favorite moment was when the Olympics were history. No more fiddling around with web connections, etc. And forget watching it on TV. I use to really love watching the Olympics but the frustrations in watching these days have left me empty.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:54 pm

mump boy wrote:You've jumped the gun Marlow and you know what that means these days !!
But seeing as i'm the ref i'm going to give the whole field a green card :D

You are too kind, sir, but I have given myself a yellow card and have been sent off the pitch!
Marlow

Postby Pego » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Flump confused me. Clarification, please! Do we include several performances in one Games as one, or should it be a single moment each time? FWIW, I suggest a single performance/moment.
Pego

Postby lonewolf » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:01 pm

A moment is a moment..one event, which might include multiple people (relay) but no cumulative/multiple moments ascribed to one person.
lonewolf

Postby mcgato » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Might want to divide it into:
Favorite Olympic performer at a single games (i.e. Owens 36, Zatopek 56, etc)
Favorite single performance or event at a games (i.e. Rudisha 12, Benoit 84)
Favorite moment, other (i.e. Tulu-Meyer victory lap 92, Super Saturday 12)
Memorable bad moment (i.e. Ben Johnson 88, Munich massacre 72)

Maybe 10 from each of the first two categories, and 3 or 5 from the other two categories. And no, I'm not going to help add up the points.

Or divide it between this year and next year.

Just my two cents.
mcgato

Postby mump boy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:11 pm

bushop wrote:
mump boy wrote:
Flumpy wrote:Just to clarify is a 'moment' a single achievment can it be a number of events combined.:?
i'm inclined to say multiple medals or performances count as one event to avoid confusion. But i'm open to other thoughts

By definition a moment would speak to a single medal... a moment in time. So grouping multiple events or years would not be a moment.
- Is there one event, attempt, moment in the decathlon that was special?
- Was there a tactical move in the 800m that was exceptional?
- Does a connection made between two athletes during a conversation mean something special to you?

I'm not saying how it should be, just offering one option.

I LOVE all these examples they are all very welcome. It's exactly what i meant, sometimes it's not the actual event but something specific within it that makes an impression

but if you nominated a specific move and someone else nominated the whole race are they 1 vote ?

If someone says Mo Farah's double and someone else says his 10k win are they 1 vote

If we count them all separately it will mean that popular moments get ranked low :-S

i might have to do it case by case. How about adding together but specifically mentioning individual events that contribute to the moment ?!!

:-S
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Pego wrote:Flump confused me. Clarification, please! Do we include several performances in one Games as one, or should it be a single moment each time? FWIW, I suggest a single performance/moment.

This is what we are discussing
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:15 pm

lonewolf wrote:A moment is a moment..one event, which might include multiple people (relay) but no cumulative/multiple moments ascribed to one person.

normally i would agree with this but in Olympic history it's Zatopek's triple that's the moment not the individual wins. Jesse Owens isn't remembered for his 200m win it's the 4 golds

In these cases can we count them as one 'moment' ??
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:17 pm

mcgato wrote:Might want to divide it into:
Favorite Olympic performer at a single games (i.e. Owens 36, Zatopek 56, etc)
Favorite single performance or event at a games (i.e. Rudisha 12, Benoit 84)
Favorite moment, other (i.e. Tulu-Meyer victory lap 92, Super Saturday 12)
Memorable bad moment (i.e. Ben Johnson 88, Munich massacre 72)

Maybe 10 from each of the first two categories, and 3 or 5 from the other two categories. And no, I'm not going to help add up the points.

Or divide it between this year and next year.

Just my two cents.

Hahah

great in theory but you all saw the mess i made of simple arithmetic last year

so let's keep it simple
mump boy

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:36 pm

mump boy wrote:
Hahah

so let's keep it simple

The best advice all day! :D
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby lonewolf » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:38 pm

mump boy wrote:
lonewolf wrote:A moment is a moment..one event, which might include multiple people (relay) but no cumulative/multiple moments ascribed to one person.

normally i would agree with this but in Olympic history it's Zatopek's triple that's the moment not the individual wins. Jesse Owens isn't remembered for his 200m win it's the 4 golds

In these cases can we count them as one 'moment' ??

Yes, these multiple wins at one Olympics would constitute one "moment."
lonewolf

Postby Daisy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Pego wrote:or should it be a single moment each time?

When I think about it, the most memorable things for me are single moments. The body of work is great, but not the thing that gets you jumping out of your seat.

mump boy wrote:great in theory but you all saw the mess i made of simple arithmetic last year

so let's keep it simple

It wasn't a math problem, it was a problem of having all those data on bits of paper scattered all over your living room ;) And spelling the names in creative ways :P
Daisy

Postby gh » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:24 pm

let me make this easy and simply point out the slam-dunk best moment ahead of time, save all the sturm und drang: what could possibly top igniting the flame in Seoul and not realizing that a covey of pigeons had taken up residence? Hello roast squab!
gh

Postby mump boy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:00 pm

Some people have already started PMing me with their choices please hold off till 00.01 GMT on Thursday 20th. Hopefully by them we'll have to cone to come agreement about the rules
mump boy

Postby Daisy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:04 pm

mump boy wrote:Hopefully by them we'll have to cone to come agreement about the rules

Guidelines is the best you can hope for. This could be a more eclectic bunch of votes than last year! I can't wait. :)
Daisy

Postby Pego » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:29 pm

I started already. 7 down, 13 to go.
Pego

Postby mcgato » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:33 pm

mump boy wrote:Hahah

so let's keep it simple
That's why I gave some suggestions to keep it simple. Clamp it down to one of the categories that I gave for this year. Next year, go for another of the categories.

If it is best performer at a single Olympics, you have a single name and year. You can pick "Carl Lewis 4 golds in 1984." Clean and easy to count.

If it best moment, you have no way to deal with "Carl Lewis 4 golds in 1984" and "Carl Lewis 4 golds in the LJ" and "Carl Lewis wins whatever single event someone picks."

My five cents worth. It's going up in price.
mcgato

Postby dj » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Part of what can make for a great moment is the anticipation. Zatopek's marathon is pretty good in itself, but far greater because of his earlier wins in the 10 and 5. But the "moment" of celebrating the triple is only when he wins the last race.

Lewis's Atlanta LJ is a great moment for me, even if it might not be his greatest OG LJ performance.

I say, if you're picking a double or a triple or a quadruple, it's the last win that's the "moment."

(This would help make the counting easier!)
dj

Postby bushop » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:24 pm

dj wrote:... the "moment" of celebrating the triple is only when he wins the last race.

Agreed.
bushop

Postby lonewolf » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:29 pm

dj wrote:I say, if you're picking a double or a triple or a quadruple, it's the last win that's the "moment."

(This would help make the counting easier!)

That is my concept of moment also.
lonewolf

Postby berkeley » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Conor Dary wrote:As impressive as Rudisha was my favorite moment was when the Olympics were history. No more fiddling around with web connections, etc. And forget watching it on TV. I use to really love watching the Olympics but the frustrations in watching these days have left me empty.

That's sad. Your are hereby excommunicated from T&F fandom.
As much as we complain about them, aren't the options today infinitely better than they were 20 years ago, when the only one was NBC's broadcast followed by a 6 week wait for T&FN's print edition ?
berkeley

Postby jhc68 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:58 pm

This year's men's 800 was the most awesome competition, IMHO.

But as for my personal favorite moment: Nothing will ever top the '64 men's 10K... "here comes Mills, here comes Mills !!!"

Favorite moment I witnessed in person: El Caballo's double.
jhc68

Postby Powell » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:06 am

Look at USATF's list of top 25 moments in their history:
http://www.usatf.org/promotions/Top25Moments/

Their no. 3 'moment' was something that lasted 10 years :D
Powell

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:19 am

I'm going to play it by ear and maybe talk to individual voters before adding up anything that may be contentious

I just don't want 'moments' that a lot of people favour to be low ranked because everyone chose specifics

Does that sound fair ?
Last edited by mump boy on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby Athleticsimaging » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:56 am

You might want to consider using an online survey like www.surveygizmo.com to make things easier.

You can set up different types of questions easily and download into excel if you want. This is the only survey site that allows downloads with their free account as far as I know.

It does limit it to 50 responses per month per project but the 14 day trial gives you unlimited responses.
Athleticsimaging

Postby Rog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:05 am

Can we include Paralympic as well as Olympic athletics?
Rog

Postby Gabriella » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:40 am

Rog, I would say so, rather than do a separate Paralympic thread.

For me, a moment is whatever the viewer defines; so for some, Bolt's 100m WR might be their moment, but for others his triple. If someone wants to list Bolt's individual acconplishments then let them, it doesn't really matter trying to strictly define what is what, it's more the general fun.

I have so many it's hard to choose again :? There are some moments that were the outcome of following an athlete for years, investing time following their careers, such as HD's wins in 92 and 00, but then there are others that were just amazing races/clashes that will go down in history (Coe v Ovett) or hyped up and antipated (Johnson v Lewis)

I need to think these through. Time to stop work, get a coffee and drift off into my athletics dream world.... :)
Gabriella

Postby mump boy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:52 am

Paralympics are included
mump boy

Next