John Carlos, Boozer

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

John Carlos, Boozer

Postby bijanc » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:01 am

One-fisted power salute, two-fisted whiskey man:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1082486/index.htm

(and was he really 6'4")
bijanc

Re: John Carlos, Boozer

Postby Marlow » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:09 am

Not sure how you get "Boozer" as the take-away from that article . . . :?:
Marlow

Postby mrbowie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Marlow, what are you talking about, didn't you read the article? Did you miss the booze references?
mrbowie

Postby Jackaloupe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:51 pm

'You can drink all you want as long as you can still go home and hang up your clothes instead of throwing them over a chair.' And I haven't ever gotten that drunk yet.")

Some "Booze Ref"! Can't believe the pettiness of yer misleading post, as one had to read way down, past the little Scotch in his Coke ref. to find this, itself in the context of growing up in Harlem. Another way of seeing it is that he had no "booze" problem whatsoever--knowing his (unusual) limits, he never exceeded them.

So, was that yer only TakeAway from a dredged-up Sports Illustrated article, which itself fell into that old trap of "beating the world record (100 y in 9.2)" only to have it "disallowed" due to some pesky wind?

John Carlos looked fit as a fiddle at the Worlds Trials in Eugene two years ago; he must've been doing something right.

So, be fair, and provide a bit more "evidence" than a link to a 5 page article which you have the temerity to chide someone for not reading.
Jackaloupe

Postby bijanc » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:39 am

Yep, as astounding as it may seem, the three references to hard liquor were the the distinguishing feature that separated this profile from the many articles I have read concerning Jesse Owens, Bob Hayes, Carl Lewis, Micheal Johnson, none of which referenced drinking even once. One can read 100's of vintage articles about non-Ruth/Mantle jocks and not see one (much less three) instances of Scotch or whiskey quotes.

Read entire books about Hayes, Owens and Lewis, e.g., so yes, it did catch my eye.
bijanc

Postby Jackaloupe » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:09 pm

"One can read 100's of vintage articles about non-Ruth/Mantle jocks and not see one (much less three) instances of Scotch or whiskey quotes."

Let alone a single mention of, gulp, Sexual Orientation, certainly not in ref. to one of those on yer ShortList--not until the St. Louis Cardinals LB, and then Decathlete Tom Frubacher (sp?), who changed his name when he came out.

Regardless of the fine point you put on journalistic traditions, your post was still slanted in how it portrayed the still robust John Carlos.
Jackaloupe

Postby Per Andersen » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Carlos of 1969/70 against Borzov of 1971/1972. That would have been one for the ages.
Per Andersen

Postby bijanc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:47 am

the title of my post was a olay on words, and not meant to imply the sprinter was a drunkard.I hadn't read that many references to hard liquor in a profile of anyone in athletics. Not as if the feature was about John Daly, Paul Hornung, or Mantle/Ford.
bijanc

Postby Jackaloupe » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:33 pm

I see you're still begging the question--by repeating your initial assertion that it's all about SI--but how can you say, "not meant to imply the sprinter was a drunkard"? And where's the "play on words", unless you're associating Carlos with the athlete named Boozer (I forget his fist name and sport)? Howsa about "(Fill in the blank from PollyTicklin'), Philanderer" And then, let the spin begin...
Jackaloupe

Postby bijanc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:39 pm

Carlos Boozer is an NBA player. The NFL RB Elijah Pitts attended a college called "Philander Smith." I loved John Carlos when I was a kid, just never read anything like that back then. When kids of my generation think of whiskey, we think of Billy Kilmer & Sonny Jurgensen (if any jocks at all- I didn't even realize Hank Aaron, Jo Jo White & Elgin Baylor smoked cigarettes), not sprinters.
bijanc