Tell Iaaf to stop screwing up their site.

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Tell Iaaf to stop screwing up their site.

Postby mump boy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:14 am

I had lunch today with the publisher who created the website, he was very interested to hear that there were problems with the site and wants me to email him with suggestions of how it can be corrected and improved

If people want to post here with specific issues i'll make sure he hears about them and hopefully we can get them sorted
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:57 pm

preston wrote:
Jon wrote:
gh wrote:and now something that has me up in arms as well (because I think it's of import to more than just a small group of hardcores): the archive of past Olympic and World Champs results no longer shows series in the field events or the Q/q system of IDing qualifiers from one round to another (track and field).
Click on the '>' in the very first column on the left-hand side, and it expands to show their series. And to see the qualifiers, click on the 'summary' tab just above the results.

Jon, don't know if you're making excuses for the webdesigner but this is the most impossible website I've ever used. No Hyperbole! It's like the IAAF paid the the person by how many clicks it takes the user to find the simplest information. It's horrible!

Of course, when you have IAAF VP's who don't even write emails...then the user experience of the website might not be of much concern.

i couldn't agree more

I only ever go on there to look up results and now can't find anything

Just to find out the yearly lists you have to about 8 times. Why are all events grouped into sprints/vertical jumps etc ?? why would anyone want to see a list of all time performers instead of all time performances ?? and why can't you just click on all the change instead of doing the whole search again ? Why does it default to men if you want to look up something else and you have to start from beginning every time ?

The same on the athletes profiles. Pics are good but it's so messy why not have all the info in front of you instead of on different pages ?

Why can't i find results for specific events in at the WC, you can only look by day :-S

Why is every page cluttered up with news stories and irrelevant photos ?

Why are there no results from 83 or 87
mump boy

Postby preston » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:26 pm

Mump, apparently the rule is that the top strata of an organization are absolved if you've known them for "decades" and have had drinks/dinners with them :roll:

gh wrote:...(disclaimer of sorts: I've been on a first-name basis with Seb, Sergey & Bob for years/decades, so if you think that might cast doubt on my journalistic integrity here, so be it.) (Diack, on the other hand, wouldn't know me if I fell in his soup)

There is NO WAY that a dedicated track fan would have made those changes. No way. But, its part of the problem with the people in these organizations. Yes, these people are stewards of the organization that administer the sport but I think the adulation, patronage, venues, rules, pomp etc has removed their ability to be FANS. They're so used to being adored, genuflected to and held up as "heroes" that they've forgotten what really drives the sport.

gh, says that we should pay Tilastopaja, etc...well, doesn't the IAAF and many of the meet directors already do that? (who is Tilastopaja paying to get the info?) And, it would be one thing if it were only the results but it's the whole FREAKING site. Nothing works intuitively and NOTHING works better than what they had before. So it begs the question: why change? Surely it had many man-hours to redo the site. Was that a donation? Was there no cost involved? This is an organization that had to put out public messages barely 4 years ago that it wasn't broke yet they spend money to build THAT? And, did no one consider the user experience? Just, "hey we changed it" and everyone who should have given a damn said "ok" and went back to their continental breakfast.

Corrections:
1. go back to the old site and don't change back until they have something better. There are so many changes to list that it really just makes more sense to scrap this.

-once you choose an athlete you can't just look up other athletes quickly in the same country like you used to.
-Are they being paid by the click? cut out the seperate tabs for progression, honours and personal bests
-why have they NEVER had the original World Juniors from 1986?
-how come Greg Foster's name has NO honors?
-Roger Kingdom isn't recognized for winning the Olympics in 1984?

I could go on forever. The site sucks. Tell him some asshole on a messageboard said that it sucks and he won't take it personal, but if this is his life's work he may want to consider masonry or plumbing because his hands and mind are not good for organizing a site through code.
preston

Postby mump boy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:11 pm

If you want to PM me with detailed specifics instead of expletive ridden rants i'll be happy to pass on
mump boy

Postby lionelp1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:43 pm

I find it a fine site with changes since last time... what a shame for crabby chaps who can't bear change. Preston is probably some old git who wants no changes if he has not given the same his approval.
Any body who cant find their way around it is possibly a little "challenged" :lol:
lionelp1

Postby toyracer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:53 am

A change should ideally result in an improvement. The IAAF site change has not improved my experience using the site. The opposite is true. So now I avoid the site. I doubt that that is the objective they hoped to achieve. Then again, who knows?
toyracer

Postby preston » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:17 am

I avoid the site, too, as the information it now has is sometimes near or below wikipedia. It's definitely not worthy of the site it replaced in any way that I can see.
preston

Postby Jon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:46 pm

As one of the editors of the site, I should perhaps chip in with some responses/assistance...
mump boy wrote:Just to find out the yearly lists you have to about 8 times.
On the old site, if you wanted to find any list other than a senior men's list, you'd have to click between 3-9 times and go through two page loads to get to the list you want. On the new site, the most clicks you have to make for any kind of list is seven times, and you'd only ever have to experience one page load. And remember on the old site from the home page you'd need to use the old navigation menu with that extra-sensitive hover and drop-down menu to get to the top lists section, and from there you'd then have to click/select to get to any ranking list. On the new site, with one click from the home page you can get to a rankings list (the default, men's 100m).

mump boy wrote:Why are all events grouped into sprints/vertical jumps etc ??
The old site used to display a big long list with all events merged into one with no clear dividers between event groups and which took up a load of space to display, creating a big void of white space on the right-hand side of the page. Whether you have to scroll further down the page (as you did on the old site) or click on an instantly-loading tab (like on the new site), it takes the same amount of 'finger-on-mouse' "effort".

mump boy wrote:why would anyone want to see a list of all time performers instead of all time performances ??
In case you wanted to see where someone ranks on the all-time list. I for one used to hate having to filter through the extra performances on an all-time performers list and manually count where someone ranks on that list.

mump boy wrote:and why can't you just click on all the change instead of doing the whole search again ?
Granted, this is a fair point and I know that the tech team are working on getting the 'all' option to work properly.

mump boy wrote:Why does it default to men if you want to look up something else and you have to start from beginning every time ?
Another fair point. I'll raise this with them if it hasn't been already.

mump boy wrote:The same on the athletes profiles. Pics are good but it's so messy why not have all the info in front of you instead of on different pages ?
The other info (progression, honours, etc) isn't a different 'page' as such; it's just a different tab contained within the same page. As I mentioned above, is a click much more effort than a scroll (as would have been required on the old site which displayed everything on one looooong page)?
Jon

Postby Jon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:46 pm

(continued as character limit was reached)...

mump boy wrote:Why can't i find results for specific events in at the WC, you can only look by day :-S
One of the features of the new site is the results archive (much easier than the old site, which had past major champs results buried in a historical archive within the 'competitions' section). So from the home page, click on "Results". Open filter, tick "World Championships", select the year, click "Find results". Voila - results of every World Champs, listed by event.

mump boy wrote:Why is every page cluttered up with news stories and irrelevant photos ?
The more the site grows, the more relevant the related stories/photos will be. It's standard practice now for sites to have 'related articles' sections on the page; it's what keeps people on the same website (and is why Daily Mail is the most visited website in the world - look how many 'related articles' they have listed down the right-hand side of their web site).

mump boy wrote:Why are there no results from 83 or 87
1983:
http://www.iaaf.org/results/iaaf-world- ... thletics-3

1987:
http://www.iaaf.org/results/iaaf-world- ... thletics-4
Jon

Postby Jon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:55 pm

toyracer wrote:A change should ideally result in an improvement. The IAAF site change has not improved my experience using the site. The opposite is true. So now I avoid the site. I doubt that that is the objective they hoped to achieve. Then again, who knows?
The reaction towards the new IAAF site reminds me of every change/development that facebook goes through. After each major change, your timeline gets full of people complaining about how crap it is (never highlighting the positive changes, of course), but within a few weeks everyone has forgotten about the old version and happily continues to use the new version. People simply don't like change. But trust me when I say that the people who have created the new IAAF site are experts in their field and they have consulted 'athletics people' throughout the whole process. With every part of the site that the designers have redeveloped, it has begun with the question: "what can we do to cut down on the amount of navigation that the user experiences to get to where they need to go? And how can we make the pages look less cluttered and more streamlined/relevant?"

When you're used to a site, sometimes you almost don't notice how many clicks it can take to where you need to go. Yes, during this transitional phase while people are re-learning where their most oft-visited sections of the new site are then they may take a few wrong turns, resulting in more clicks/page loads than need be. But once you know where to go, it will most likely be quicker and more intuitive than the navigation on the old site. And if it's not, then let me know and I can consult with the developers.
Jon

Postby mump boy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:24 am

Without answering every individual point (i'll probably come back and do that when i get bored at work later) it will just say that as one of the editors of the site it may be easy for you to navigate but let me tell you that for the layman it doesn't make any sense at all.

As you know Jon i had a number of issues with the old site but none of these changes address those issues, it may look nicer but it is complicated, unclear and frustrating. I'm with others i'll quite happily find somewhere else to look up results rather than go through this rigmarole every time.

Constant unnecessary changes are one of the main reasons i no longer use Facebook half as much as i used to and this will go the same way.
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:08 am

I'll go to work in a minute

On the old site, if you wanted to find any list other than a senior men's list, you'd have to click between 3-9 times and go through two page loads to get to the list you want.

Just because the old one didn't work very is no excuse for this one not to either.

there shouldn't a need for any more than 4 clicks

Click on results
Click on men/women
click on year
click on event

if you want to look at another event you should just click on it without having to start again. If i'm looking at w100 i should be able to click on 200m and see the women's list for the same year not have to start from the top again.

http://www.thepowerof10.info/

does it very well

The old site used to display a big long list with all events merged into one with no clear dividers between event groups and which took up a load of space to display, creating a big void of white space on the right-hand side of the page. Whether you have to scroll further down the page (as you did on the old site) or click on an instantly-loading tab (like on the new site), it takes the same amount of 'finger-on-mouse' "effort".

Why would anyone need events grouped into events !! there's nothing wrong with a list, i like looking at lists it's what i go to results for !! even the casual fan who is interested enough to look on here for lists knows what events they want to look up without needing a dumbed down options incase they don't know the different between horizontal and vertical !!

In case you wanted to see where someone ranks on the all-time list. I for one used to hate having to filter through the extra performances on an all-time performers list and manually count where someone ranks on that list.

each to their own, that didn't bother me at all. I still don't think it should be the default list. It's distorting and simplistic

Granted, this is a fair point and I know that the tech team are working on getting the 'all' option to work properly.
:D

Another fair point. I'll raise this with them if it hasn't been already.
:D

The other info (progression, honours, etc) isn't a different 'page' as such; it's just a different tab contained within the same page. As I mentioned above, is a click much more effort than a scroll (as would have been required on the old site which displayed everything on one looooong page)?

The difference between a new page and a tab is non existent to me. Yes i'd rather scroll if looking for information it is better to have it all on the same page so it's easier to compare. There would be no need for any kind of scrolling if there weren't MASSIVE pictures taking up so much space. I'm all for pics but not as the main purpose of the page, i can google pics of people, i come to this page to find out info and to just have PB on the first page (rather than honours for sample) seems rather strange.
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:36 am

One of the features of the new site is the results archive. So from the home page, click on "Results". Open filter, tick "World Championships", select the year, click "Find results". Voila - results of every World Champs, listed by event.

I've been looking for results through competitions as i couldn't find them on results. The first thing you see when you click on competitions, info about World Champs ? It then encourages you to click on previous WC where it gives you the timetable (who would want a timetable rather than event results ?) but incomplete results and none for 83 and 87

When i click on results i don't get to choose World Champs i get a confusing load of boxes and areas to choose from

OK found it, not obvious at all that you should click on competitions and get a drop box to chose from. I've never seen a tab that says 'open filters' before i had no idea what that meant. Why wouldn't that be the default instead of Geographic ??

It's standard practice now for sites to have 'related articles' sections on the page; it's what keeps people on the same website (and is why Daily Mail is the most visited website in the world - look how many 'related articles' they have listed down the right-hand side of their web site).

I'm all for pics and related stories to be listed DOWN THE SIDE OF THE WEBPAGE

these aren't down the side they're all over the place and they're not even related. One of the best/worst things about DM, youtube etc if the related stories but they are specifically don't interfere with the main page. On this site it's difficult to even see that you're trying to look up because an unrelated stories dominates each page. If i click on World Championships on the front page i get this

http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-w ... mpionships. A story about the Jen Suhr competing indoors this winter !! Only if i scroll down do i get some info (timetables once again) about Deagu !! which isn't really what you would have expected anyway. Underneath that i can get more pics of things like Darren Cambell in Paris 03 :?

I still can't get this to work. i click on results, competitions, World champs, Helsinki and nothing just the same page refreshing. If you try and click on a year from the drop box it only goes down to 97 !! The results also need be in the competition archive.

The links you provide work but for a site that wants to be so easy on the eye the page is ugly and not as user friendly as previous one was.

Sorry to moan a lot but this site has the feel of changes having been made by people who would never use it and doesn't feel like it's actually been tested by anyone who might.
mump boy

Postby Pego » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:49 am

Jon, do you know if IAAF will continue to offer fantasy and if yes, are they going to improve the product?
Pego

Postby preston » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:38 am

Jon wrote:The reaction towards the new IAAF site reminds me of every change/development that facebook goes through. After each major change, your timeline gets full of people complaining about how crap it is (never highlighting the positive changes, of course), but within a few weeks everyone has forgotten about the old version and happily continues to use the new version. People simply don't like change.

Because companies have never made bad and embarrassingly short-sighted changes, no? Coca-Cola with New Coke? Apple with Apple Maps? It just come down to people bitching because they don't like change, right? The crazy part is that you barely acknowledge that the site has utterly failed to do what it ostensibly sets out to do: present the information in a more intuitive way. This, imo, was nothing more than patronage (like a Mayor's Brother-in-Law getting the contract to repave a road that doesn't need paving.)...graft.

Jon wrote:... But trust me when I say that the people who have created the new IAAF site are experts in their field and they have consulted 'athletics people' throughout the whole process. With every part of the site that the designers have redeveloped, it has begun with the question: "what can we do to cut down on the amount of navigation that the user experiences to get to where they need to go? And how can we make the pages look less cluttered and more streamlined/relevant?"

:lol: :lol:

But what seems most apparent and what shocks me that you confessed that you were involved are said best by the person who I agree with on EVERYTHING in life! :roll:
mump boy wrote:...this site has the feel of changes having been made by people who would never use it and doesn't feel like it's actually been tested by anyone who might.
preston

Postby toyracer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:03 pm

Jon wrote:
toyracer wrote:A change should ideally result in an improvement. The IAAF site change has not improved my experience using the site. The opposite is true. So now I avoid the site. I doubt that that is the objective they hoped to achieve. Then again, who knows?
The reaction towards the new IAAF site reminds me of every change/development that facebook goes through. After each major change, your timeline gets full of people complaining about how crap it is (never highlighting the positive changes, of course), but within a few weeks everyone has forgotten about the old version and happily continues to use the new version. People simply don't like change. But trust me when I say that the people who have created the new IAAF site are experts in their field and they have consulted 'athletics people' throughout the whole process. With every part of the site that the designers have redeveloped, it has begun with the question: "what can we do to cut down on the amount of navigation that the user experiences to get to where they need to go? And how can we make the pages look less cluttered and more streamlined/relevant?"

I'm not one of those facebook complainers you speak of, nor was I making any such comparison. I simply wrote of my experience with the new site, which is by no means improved in relation to the old site. It looks hideous. Others have expressed sentiment similar to mine, with more specifics, so I need not repeat it all.
toyracer

Postby vencio2 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:33 am

it's just dreadful. the old site was bad enough, but this really is bad, and I have been going back and forth to it to try and get used to it, but it's just getting worse.

for me the biggest problem is that i find that on each page my eye isn't really drawn in and anchored. i'm on the homepage and there seems to be so much stuff (pictures, links, HUGE social media boxes, etc.) everywhere and while the headache-inducing vomit of colours on the old site has gone, now this new site is mostly white or pale turquoise - while that may be a little more soothing, it's hard to read and it just feels like everything is floating on a page that hasn't been quite finished yet.

and is there a reason why athlete bios are positioned to the right of the web page? for me the eye is naturally drawn more to the left of the page ... so little things like this just make it a very counter-intuitive browsing experience that really puts me off wanting to come back.
vencio2

Postby lionelp1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:37 am

find it a great site with plenty of info; what are posters whingeing about?. Its not perfect , that will never do :lol:
lionelp1

Postby 18.99s » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:58 pm

Nothing happens when I click the "All" link (beside the "Best by athlete" link) at the header of the lists. Same problem all 3 browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera). Is it just me?
18.99s

Postby skiboo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:11 pm

lionelp1 wrote:find it a great site with plenty of info; what are posters whingeing about?. Its not perfect , that will never do :lol:

You must be joking. The new site is utterly atrocious, one cannot navigate to where they wish to go without jumping through numerous hoops, and even that does not guarantee one arrives where they desire. I think the new site is a piece of shit, and they should have left well enough alone. If there were a way to say it is worse than a piece of shit, I would type it. Utterly garbageous chunk of dung?
skiboo

Postby Daisy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Definitely a little clunky and very buggy. Here is an example. I was looking at the year lists for the men's 100m. http://www.iaaf.org/records/toplists/sp ... enior/2012

At the top there are two options Best by Athlete or All. All is in bold but it is obviously the 'Best by Athlete' list that is shown. When I hit the All link still shows the Best by Athlete option. To get the All option I had to hit the Best by Athlete link and then hit the All link. This can't be designed to work this way so it must be a bug.
Daisy

Postby pauluk63 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:35 am

I would like to add my complaint. I still find the new site incredibally difficult to navigate.. I have not got used to it as suggested earlier.

I am also still saddened that in Top Lists they have removed the breakdown of events for the Heptathlon and Decathlon. You used to be able to see what result they had gained from the indvidual event as well as the total score. Often this was a great way of seeing form or if one event had cost them. For example, Jessica Ennis 69** (12.54, 1.86, 14.61... ) etc. Why in improving the site, have they taken away stats?? It makes no sense. I have complained to the IAAF I hope they add this back to the results or at least in a PDF form if they can't add to the main site.
pauluk63

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:51 am

I'm having a meeting with the developers next week so if people do have specifics they would like brought up please PM me
mump boy

Postby gh » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:57 am

Daisy wrote:Definitely a little clunky and very buggy. Here is an example. I was looking at the year lists for the men's 100m. http://www.iaaf.org/records/toplists/sp ... enior/2012

At the top there are two options Best by Athlete or All. All is in bold but it is obviously the 'Best by Athlete' list that is shown. When I hit the All link still shows the Best by Athlete option. To get the All option I had to hit the Best by Athlete link and then hit the All link. This can't be designed to work this way so it must be a bug.

Why can't they just name it "performers" and "performances"? I find "all" just a tad nebulous!
gh

Postby Daisy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:17 am

gh wrote:Why can't they just name it "performers" and "performances"? I find "all" just a tad nebulous!

Agree, there is a problem if you have to look at the list to figure out what they mean.
Daisy

Postby gh » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:13 am

also makes me crazy that if you go to Olympic field-event results there are no series available, but if you click on the >> next to each person it will.

Maybe it's just me, but those look just like arrows pointing to each of the people. What possible clue is there that something lies buried underneath? This isn't an Easter Egg hunt.

And if you've got the data, why not just show it from the get-go?
gh

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:19 pm

gh wrote:
Daisy wrote:Definitely a little clunky and very buggy. Here is an example. I was looking at the year lists for the men's 100m. http://www.iaaf.org/records/toplists/sp ... enior/2012

Why can't they just name it "performers" and "performances"? I find "all" just a tad nebulous!

I wouldn't even mind it it actually worked, you can click on 'All' all day and nothing happens :x
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:22 pm

On relay results don't bother clicking on the arrow hoping to find out the team or split times you get this

REACTION TIME
0.199 S

800M
1:38.63

1200M
2:28.58 1

what use is that to anyone ?!!

in the lists you don't even get that info :x
mump boy

Postby pauluk63 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:16 am

I had a look again yesterday you can emphasise enough how bad it is! So much data missing surely they must know the only people looking want as much data as possible! No teams in the relay, no date of births on 2012 lists, no relay teams is terrible! Re clicking the year and event and update EVERTIME you want to swap events!

It's not just like changing Facebook like Jon said its dreadful and has of some reason taken away data that they had. I really hope they read this page and make the changes.
pauluk63

Postby skiboo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:08 am

I've been trying unsuccessfully to find the London Olympic results - anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
skiboo

Postby Jon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:49 am

skiboo wrote:I've been trying unsuccessfully to find the London Olympic results - anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

From the home page, click on "Results" in the main navigation. From there, click on 'Open filters', then select 'Olympic Games', and select year '2012', then click 'Find results'. It should then give you a link to this page:
http://www.iaaf.org/results/olympic-gam ... games-4871
Jon

Postby skiboo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:19 am

Thanks Jon, that works.
skiboo

Postby mump boy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:03 pm

skiboo wrote:Thanks Jon, that works.

But you shouldn't need someone to explain how to do the basics it should be obvious

What would we do without Jon ??
mump boy

Postby gh » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:17 pm

Jon wrote:
skiboo wrote:I've been trying unsuccessfully to find the London Olympic results - anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

From the home page, click on "Results" in the main navigation. From there, click on 'Open filters', then select 'Olympic Games', and select year '2012', then click 'Find results'. It should then give you a link to this page:
http://www.iaaf.org/results/olympic-gam ... games-4871

Yes but why the time-consuming extra step? When I open that page, it opens with the Olympics (and all the other categories of meets) visible at the top… for a microsecond.

Then the window closes down, and you have to hit "open filter" to get them back. And it's not a shift in pages, just moves the other material farther down.

While I know that an elemental rule of web design is to avoid having to make people scroll wherever possible, I'd think that's trumped by the rule of never introducing a link where it isn't needed. And to me, this is one of those places (just like the >> for field series).
gh

Postby Jon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:44 pm

I can't speak on behalf of the web developers* but my guess is that if that panel were open from the get-go, then it wouldn't be obvious that the user has to scroll down the page to see the search results.

*I should perhaps clarify that I wasn't involved with the design/development process from the outset. I was simply brought on board right at the end and I can only control the content of the site. But at the same time, it's not as though I received any special "training" as to how to use the site. I genuinely find the navigation more intuitive than the old site. When the odd person asks me where such-and-such is located on the new site, I simply start from the home page and think: "right, where's the most logical place it will be?" Pretty much every time without fail I'm able to find what I'm looking for without hitting a dead end. I think the main problem is that many people are trying to navigate the new site as they would the old one (which had a LOT of navigational issues which most people seem to have forgotten!). But the sooner you get the old site out of your head, the easier the new one is to navigate.

I should also add that I am in contact with the development team pretty much every day, and I have been alerting them to any glitches that have been discovered.
Jon

Postby gh » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:51 pm

so while I'm kvetching about Olympic results, let me add this. So you get to the page you want, let's say for London, and the screen presents this

MEETING NAME COMPETITION CATEGORY VENUE COUNTRY DATE
The XXX Olympic Games Olympic Games London GBR 27 JUL 2012 - 12 AUG 2012

So you've got 5 columns, 3 of which are inactive, 2 of which are live (I won't even mention that the differential between the two, at least these eyes, is so not enough shades of grey; it's not readily evident where the link is).

Logic says that at that point your cursor is over on the right side of the page (where you've just clicked on "find results"), and you're ready for more detail. Maybe it's just me, but my first instinct is simply to stop at "Olympic Games" as the closest live link, as opposed to "The XXX Olympic Games." Neither of them hints at the actual results, so you've got to guess.

And if you guess wrong? Bingo! It repaints the whole page with all the Olympic sites/dates and you need to start again.

I agreed with your earlier assessment that much of the carping about the site was akin to every time Facebook gets a makeover and everybody hates it for a day or two and then they're settled in. In terms of much of the front-page content of the IAAF site that's very much the case.

But not so in trying to find data. Just strikes me that too many things have been done in a counter-intuitive fashion. My guess being that because much of the design was by an engineer, not anybody with any experience at being an end-user.

What I'd call Microsoft Syndrome (as manifested in yearning for the glory days of simple, easy to use WordPerfect, rather than the kludginess that is Word).
gh

Postby mump boy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:31 pm

They seem to If you want to find out who won a multi event you can't click on decathlon and get a result !! You have to click on '1500m' to pull up the results of the last race and then 'points' to get the final score :?

Just because something is better than the old version (it's not) doesn't mean it's any good :(
mump boy

Postby gh » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Here's another kvetch (I think; I might always just be blind).... take today's Karlsruhe meet. In the old days, in addition to the by-event results format, there was always a "click here to see meet in text form" button. Which saves immeasurable time over having to open x number of links.

Is that feature still there somewhere?
gh

Postby Walt Murphy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:58 am

I'm looking to find out what happened on this date(March 14) at the 1993 World Indoor Championship in Toronto.
http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-indoor-championships/4th-iaaf-world-indoor-championships-16

None of the links(startlist, results) under the timetable-by-day heading work. I have to scroll down to the "Winners in Toronto (SD)" section, where the results of all events are available.

This might just pertain to the 1993 Worlds, since I just checked a couple of other years, and the daily links appear to be working.

Another issue--when I look at the results from a heat or a semi-final, there are no "Q/q''s" to indicate who advanced.

Is there an easy way to find the original IAAF report on a specific Championship, complete with articles, previews, etc?
Walt Murphy

Postby batonless relay » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:54 am

Walt, the old site didn't go back to 1993 (or the 1986 WJC), iirc, so they probably haven't added the data yet, but for ease of use for older champs you might want to use the following link http://www.iaaf.net/history/index.html#WIC

A comparison of results for 2010 WJC M100m
old version: http://www.iaaf.net/wjc10/results/event ... 100_hash_f

new version: http://www.iaaf.org/results/iaaf-world- ... nal/result

at a glance I'm given lane and reaction time in the old version and in the new...I have to press a "v" to get to reaction time while apparently the lane is kept a secret unless you press "view" or "download".

I've pretty much given up on the new site. The only defenders of the new IAAF site are the people either consulting, assisting or drawing a paycheck from it.
batonless relay

PreviousNext