US sprinter Carlin Isles shows why USA can win Rio rugby

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

US sprinter Carlin Isles shows why USA can win Rio rugby

Postby Tuariki » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Carlin Isles has shown why the Rio '16 Olympic Gold for rugby sevens is there for the taking by the USA.

NZ dominates 15 a side rugby internationally. We have also dominated the seven's game for the past 15 years and still do so today. However, Carlin Isles has shown that the Rio Gold is there for the taking if the US wants it.

The kiwi players are much more skilled at the game than anything the US can come up with. But sevens is more of a game of taking the opportunity to get through the gap and then open the after burners. And with a 100m time of 10.24 he is yards faster than any player in NZ. And it showed where he was able to use his speed to run away from anything NZ, South Africa and other teams had. And the USA can put out on the filed 10 sprinters faster and bigger than Carlin Isles.

If the USA decides to put together a sevens squad of Carlin Isles look alikes I predict they will win the Gold in Rio.
Tuariki

Re: US sprinter Carlin Isles shows why USA can win Rio rugby

Postby bushop » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:12 am

Tuariki wrote:If the USA decides to put together a sevens squad of Carlin Isles look alikes I predict they will win the Gold in Rio.

Is it better to pull in athletes for sevens from a pool of pure sprinters or American football players?
bushop

Postby Tuariki » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:41 am

Pure unadulterated speed would be the number 1 criterion. Football skills would be helpful of course. A 7s team of the ilk of Deion Sanders, Bob Hayes, Willie Gault, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, Chris Johnson and Darrell Green would, IMO, run over and away from any other country's 7s team.
Tuariki

Postby GDAWG » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Bennie Brazell played for USA Rugby Sevens team in 2010 and was on the 2004 Olympic team.
GDAWG

Postby bushop » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 pm

Tuariki wrote:Pure unadulterated speed would be the number 1 criterion. Football skills would be helpful of course. A 7s team of the ilk of Deion Sanders, Bob Hayes, Willie Gault, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, Chris Johnson and Darrell Green would, IMO, run over and away from any other country's 7s team.

What is the minimum size needed to keep life and limb?
Could some of the undersized NFL longshots like Univeristy of Michigan "quarterback" Denard Robinson (6'0" / 185 lbs) domiate with their lightning speed or are they too small for sevens?
bushop

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:29 pm

My sense is DR is fast in a football sense but not 10.13w/10.24 fast. He is quick and elusive. It looked to my unpracticed eye like speed around the corner was what was getting Carlin past the line. It might also require a different defensive arrangement that is developed to counter his capabilities. However, having a couple that are that fast makes it hard to counter, and the US could reasonably expect to find a second second-level sprinter that might be interested.
26mi235

Postby unclezadok » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:38 pm

In that video he looks every bit of 10.24. He also looks to have a good instinct for the sevens game.
unclezadok

Postby Tuariki » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:18 pm

26mi235 wrote:My sense is DR is fast in a football sense but not 10.13w/10.24 fast. He is quick and elusive. It looked to my unpracticed eye like speed around the corner was what was getting Carlin past the line. It might also require a different defensive arrangement that is developed to counter his capabilities. However, having a couple that are that fast makes it hard to counter, and the US could reasonably expect to find a second second-level sprinter that might be interested.

I think there are some similarities in track sprinters being able to relatively easily cross over into bobsledding. And likewise with sevens. You do not need to be an overgrown monster, so to speak, as you do in the NFL or as in 15 a side international rugby. Speed and side stepping agility is what is required to succeed in sevens. The 8 players in the starting line ups in the forwards for England and South Africa average about 250 lbs (114 kgs).
Tuariki

Postby lionelp1 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:22 am

Rugby7s A mere joke game and little to do with Rugby. We are aware that the USA smells a sprintfest and a medal via the usual Olympics mania, so this thread is a waste of space to thoses of us who know and love the game of real Rugby.
lionelp1

Postby preston » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:33 am

26mi235 wrote:My sense is DR is fast in a football sense but not 10.13w/10.24 fast. He is quick and elusive. It looked to my unpracticed eye like speed around the corner was what was getting Carlin past the line. It might also require a different defensive arrangement that is developed to counter his capabilities. However, having a couple that are that fast makes it hard to counter, and the US could reasonably expect to find a second second-level sprinter that might be interested.

Football fast???? Denard was one of the fastest kids in the country while at Deerfield Beach High School. He ran a legal 10.44 as an 18 year old (I'm betting that Carlin Isles was NOT a 10.44 HS sprinter). It's very possible that had Denard concentrated on track he might be one of the best in T&F right now. He's fast! Also, the only times I've found for Isles are 2012. It would be more informative to know his progression.

Others at 18:
10.36 - Gatlin
10.48 - R. Bailey
10.30 - R. Salaam (19 y/o)
10.54 - Padgett (17 y/o)
10.43 - Maurice Greene
preston

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:15 am

While DR might be faster if he concentrated on track, I doubt he would advance that much if he switched back now. His football-fast and quickness and ability to accelerate quickly are probably good for 7s. That combination is probably better than a little bit greater pure straight-ahead speed.

I am not sure how to judge this, but it seems like he has picked up the game very quickly - 10 months according to the video.
26mi235

Postby gh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 am

Not to split hairs, but Robinson was 19 when he ran 10.44.

Isles ran 10.79 as a junior, then 10.58w as a prep senior.

Then
10.42w/10.48
10.19w
10.13w/10.24

Also 20.90w last year, 20.95 legal this.

Turned 23 last month
gh

Postby preston » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:39 am

no, that's not splitting hairs and it does show that Robinson stacks up pretty well to some of America's best in the Under-20 category.

26mi235 wrote:...I doubt he would advance that much if he switched back now...

I have to agree. Had he run track in the offseason consistently at Michigan (like Bates at AZ) I would give him more of a chance but after the years off it definitely reduces his upside, imo. gh's info on Isles' progression proves to me that we seriously undercount the amount of athletes who turn to football who could be very successful in track and field (somewhere in England someone is saying the very same thing after Gemili's appearance).

Separately, I watched ESPN's 30 for 30 You don't know Bo and it reminded me of how fast Bo Jackson was - while being 230 lbs. I watched him run the 100 at Florida Relays (84?) and he was huge. 7's, 15's? possible. Football, Baseball...Bo knew it all (which reminds me of Gretzky going, "nah!" when he sees Bo on Hockey skates in the commercial :lol: )
preston

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:23 am

Interesting. So, if we take the build a rugby team from the top sprinters who didn't make the US 4x100 team, we get an easy rugby medal.

How much does an elite rugby player make? I assume it is nothing like what a top tier football player (American or otherwise) makes.
Dave

Postby Tuariki » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:13 am

Dave wrote:Interesting. So, if we take the build a rugby team from the top sprinters who didn't make the US 4x100 team, we get an easy rugby medal.

For sevens, YES, it is, IMO, a very real possibility for the US to win a rugby sevens medal at Rio, even the gold, if they pick a team stacked with the fastest sprinters they can recruit. Ball carrying skills are of course helpful. But because sevens is such a wide open game, as compared to rugby proper (15s), pure speed plays a much greater role as shown by Carlin Isles.

Tackling is also a very useful skill. But as Carlin Isles showed in that video clip his blinding speed,as compared to his opponents, allowed him to run the other player down from behind.

Dave wrote:How much does an elite rugby player make? I assume it is nothing like what a top tier football player (American or otherwise) makes.

And you are very right in this observation. I believe the top sevens players make in the vicinity of US$50,000 to US$60,000. The top 15s players are making not much over US$500,000 a year, although high profile players like New Zealand's Dan Carter (the 2012 international player of the year) are probably making a little bit of US$1 million a year.

And so it is unlikely there would be too many NFL players looking to go for an Olympic Gold medal on those sort of incomes. Mind you, as was shown by Carlin Isles, rugby sevens is a pretty easy game to pick up.

lionelp1 wrote:Rugby7s A mere joke game and little to do with Rugby. We are aware that the USA smells a sprintfest and a medal via the usual Olympics mania, so this thread is a waste of space to thoses of us who know and love the game of real Rugby.

I agree that sevens has very little to do with rugby proper (15s). Rugby proper requires a much greater range and spread of skills than sevens. Which is why precious few sevens players have a made a successful transition to rugby proper. Jonah Lomu did, but then he was a 270 pound 10.4 sprinter.

However, this thread is nothing to do about rugby proper (15s).
Tuariki

Postby preston » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:15 am

Base salaries in the NFL would be comparable to top 15's guys by your comparisons. Remember, we're not talking about stars of the NFL that would be considering the switch, we're talking about guys who may get cut or have to play arena or Canadian ball. Canadian football is about C$60k -C$120k and a LOT of these guys have the speed, know how to tackle and aren't afraid of contact. CFL minimum is C$30k. Maybe 7's is an option that more ex/near-NFLers should consider.

The number 5 RB in the NFL, Jamaal Charles, Kansas City Chiefs
(Final year of rookie contract pays him 475,000/yr; just signed 5yr/$32.5mil, $13mil guar)
preston

Postby marknhj » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:26 am

Rugby has always been one of my favorite sports to watch and was my favorite to play, but I found it quite bizarre that 7's was included in the Olympic Games. I always regarded it as an end-of-season novelty event, mainly designed for a less-than-serious day out and an opportunity to party all afternoon/day/weekend. I went to a couple of international tournaments they had at the Home Depot Center in LA before they moved it to Vegas and the party-theme had definitely transferred across the Atlantic. All the national teams were there and I hadn't heard of a single player, I don't even know how they get selected. To me, it's like having 5-a-side football in the Olympics. Pretty Mickie Mouse really...
marknhj

Postby Tuariki » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:12 pm

marknhj wrote:....... All the national teams were there and I hadn't heard of a single player, I don't even know how they get selected. To me, it's like having 5-a-side football in the Olympics. Pretty Mickie Mouse really...

True that.

But the fact is, there is gold to be won - even if it is a mickey mouse event - and I believe the gold medal is there for the US to take if they want it badly enough. Even if NZ were to bring in some of 15s stars, such as Israel Dagg,Cory Jane, Julian Savea, and Hosea Gear I would still put my money an on USA team if it was stacked with sub 10.2 sprinter running backs.
Tuariki

Postby gm » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Someone like Stanford Routt would likely be a stud sevens player. A fun game to watch (and play?) that has not much in common with real rugby. Then again, the "real" rugby played now is quite different from what I played 30+ years ago and I do not watch.
gm

Postby bushop » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:05 pm

If needed, can an admin migrate the rugby content to Things Not T&F board?
I'd like to discuss (learn) why we have rugby sevens, not rugby union, in the Olympics.
bushop

Postby ExCoastRanger » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Unfortunately for the hopes of forming a lightning-fast rugby dream team of sprinters and NFL rejects, most of the rugby players I've known in the states have come from soccer backgrounds. Does anybody know if USA Rugby actively recruits or develops the former talent? It's website and rosters don't offer much player info like 40-yard times or HS/college track backgrounds.
ExCoastRanger

Postby gh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:11 pm

gm wrote:Someone like Stanford Routt would likely be a stud sevens player.....

Oh, you mean totally unlike his NFL career? (oh, sorry, allow me to take off my Oakland Raiders hat when I hear the words "Routt" and "stud" in the same sentence :twisted: )
gh

Postby lionelp1 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:19 pm

the game of rugby 7s is about as mickey mouse as softball in 1996 at Atlanta.

All fans will know that the last Olympic Champions at Rugby was the USA in Paris, 1924 who beat France 17-3; it rather upset the French who behaved disgracefully ( not too much of a surprise :lol: )
lionelp1

Postby mal » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:01 am

Each tackle would see more US player on the bench. And while there is always gaps, there are always tackles.

Rugby 7s in the US is like little league. The 'kids' are all small, even if they are fast. Throwing a couple of sprinters in there will just raise the hospital bills.
mal

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:11 am

mal wrote:Each tackle would see more US player on the bench. And while there is always gaps, there are always tackles.

Rugby 7s in the US is like little league. The 'kids' are all small, even if they are fast. Throwing a couple of sprinters in there will just raise the hospital bills.

So, a decent sized sprinter who played some American football is more likely to get hurt than other players?

Consider a Jeff Demps. Used to taking hits and would run circles around the others.

Consider the 8 American sprinters who did not make the USOT finals. I suspect a few of them could probably play this game very well.
Dave

Postby preston » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:00 am

mal wrote:Each tackle would see more US player on the bench. And while there is always gaps, there are always tackles.

You, and quite a few others, really don't understand the depth of speed in American Football. Too many on this board make the assumption that because these guys don't run track that they're not as fast (or potentially as fast) as the guys who do. That's silly.

In 2012 at the NFL Combines, a kid who ran 10.44 before his 19th birthday (I think he was still a prep), was tied for the 11th best performance, 4.41, with a certain Redskins QB who ran the same time and shares T&F bonafides. There is not a question in my mind this kid could have been sub-10.20. Again, he was TIED for 11th. His name is TJ Graham...

Every year 20 guys or more run 4.45 or better for 40 yd dash at the NFL combines and few have had the sprint training of the Trindon Hollidays...who wasn't the fastest at the combine. If you have basic 4.45 ability and weigh in excess of 185 lbs then you have the potential to be sub-10.20. That would mean that in 2016 there would be at least 100 ex/near-NFLers (average careers is 4 years...that's AVERAGE) who were less than 28 years of age and "capable", imo, of running sub-10.20.

You really don't understand how deep with speed the USA is.
preston

Postby bambam » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Dave wrote:Interesting. So, if we take the build a rugby team from the top sprinters who didn't make the US 4x100 team, we get an easy rugby medal.

How much does an elite rugby player make? I assume it is nothing like what a top tier football player (American or otherwise) makes.

There's other sports the US could be good at with our castaways - handball (team) with lesser basketball players; javelin throwers with burned up minor-league pitchers; rugby, as you are noting; I think at the Olympics we could be good in canoeing with rowers who didn't make it to that level; water polo - we could be better if more almost elite swimmers would go to that sport.
bambam

Postby bambam » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:34 pm

bushop wrote:If needed, can an admin migrate the rugby content to Things Not T&F board?
I'd like to discuss (learn) why we have rugby sevens, not rugby union, in the Olympics.

Rugby is the in the Olympics because IOC President Jacques Rogge used to play it and he favored it so the IOC Members selected it as a sop to him.

It is not rugby union, because like American football, those games are only held every 4-5 days, because of the recovery you need for that sport. It would be difficult to hold a full rugby union tournament in the 16 days of an Olympic Games.

Also, rugby 7s is played more by women than rugby union (not sure if they play that much at all), and all sports now have to be gender-neutral to get on the Olympic Program, so rugby 7s was the better choice for the sport.
bambam

Postby Per Andersen » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:47 pm

In the Olympics men should be playing rugby union instead of soccer. Men's soccer in the Olympics has been a joke since about 1952. Nobody on this board can name the winner in London.

That would leave Olympic soccer to the women. They had an excellent and very useful tournament in London with none of this age 23 nonsense the men have to put up with.
Per Andersen

Postby greyghost » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:38 pm

usa will never win a rugby tournie.(they havent won anything yet ) once these guys start really getting hit when , its all over regardless of speed . :lol: :lol: :lol:
greyghost

Postby Tuariki » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:52 pm

greyghost wrote:usa will never win a rugby tournie.(they havent won anything yet ) once these guys start really getting hit when , its all over regardless of speed . :lol: :lol: :lol:

You appear to know very little about sevens. The reality is that in sevens there are not the big hits you get as in rugby proper. The most advantageous skills sets are speed and elusiveness with the ball in hand. That is why the sevens players are smaller than 15s players.

However,if making bits in a tackle and taking big hits in a tackle were a requirement the USA would front up well on that skill set as well. At Rugby World Cups the USA team has demonstrated many times that are pretty good at making the big hits.
Tuariki

Postby mal » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:38 pm

preston wrote:
mal wrote:

Preston, why would you think that?
mal

Postby preston » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:56 pm

mal wrote:
preston wrote:
mal wrote:

Preston, why would you think that?

Because you said this:

I really wasn't trying to be snarky, I was just pointing out that there are TONS of Americans with football experience (yes! I've thrown out all tracksters) who MIGHT be as good as Isles. Footballers are USED to tackling and being tackled and America has a ton of 4.45 40 yd speed or better. 4.45 is about the minimum needed to get to sub-10.20! And, because of that fact, I just don't see more on the bench or in the hospital. Also, a LOT of these guys are 30+ lbs bigger than Isles. That's what I mean by depth. The reality is that Rugby, historically, hasn't received the best America athletes; it's just received the typical frat-boy who couldn't hack football so he chose a something he could do where he could brag about bruises and reclaim his sack. Plus, he gets to swap Jerseys and drink beer and marvel at how he's just defined some upper class definition of sportsmanship. Totally different than what might be going on in AUS, NZL or RSA.
preston

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:11 pm

The multi guy from Wisconsin is an example of someone that is not quite so fast and did not really play football (he wanted to be a track and field athlete) but who might make a pretty good candidate. I think his 100 time is 10.83 (7.05 60m), his 110h is 14.04 (7.8 60h), his LJ is about 7.66m, he is a 5.26 PV, 47.93 400, 2.12 HJ. He could occasionally go right over someone want to take him down and he probably is a bit faster in speed than his 100 if he specialized. [His point total was higher than the Silver at the WICs, but that 'Silver' was very weak).
26mi235

Postby mal » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:42 am

Preston, I would add, that you have little idea how hard real rugby is, as in the US its full of exactly the same people you identify. Frat boys full of testosterone and little talent.

There is more than enough physical ability in this country. Some of it is even talent. But I would argue that even in American football there is a dearth of the sort of commitment on the highest stage.

If it came down to talent and physical ability, the NZ All Blacks, coming from the smallest pool, would not be the best team in the world.
mal

Postby preston » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:45 am

mal wrote:Preston, I would add, that you have little idea how hard real rugby is, as in the US its full of exactly the same people you identify. Frat boys full of testosterone and little talent.

There is more than enough physical ability in this country. Some of it is even talent. But I would argue that even in American football there is a dearth of the sort of commitment on the highest stage.

If it came down to talent and physical ability, the NZ All Blacks, coming from the smallest pool, would not be the best team in the world.

"Real" Rugby? And, here I was believing that we were addressing the advantages of speed in 7's as opposed to 15's and WHY it is possible for an AMERICAN like Isles - with very little experience playing the game - to become an internet sensation ... among RUGBY ENTHUSIASTS!! Here I was answering your question based upon exactly what you said and now it's about me not seeing Rugby as hard? :?

You're attributing assumptions to me that I've never made. I never said Rugby was easy or implied that it was anything other than the skill that it is. I gave you a characterization of the type of athlete that moves towards Rugby in the UNITED STATES, not in the rest of the world and certainly not in Australia or New Zealand or South Africa where it's something of the national sport - if NOT the actual national sport. Rugby in the US may as well be team handball or even curling (maybe less); it's a specialty, micro-niche sport at best AND IT DOES NOT ATTRACT THE COUNTRIES BEST (though from time to time it actually finds athletes with "talent"). Again, it's a frat boy/prep school diversion pushing for inclusion in the conversation of real sports in America because of the it's demographic make-up. The best American athletes are gravitating to the pro sports of Hockey, Football, Baseball and Basketball; totally different than the BEST athletes in New Zealand who have an intimate familiarity with Rugby and that's just NOT the case in the US. New Zealand's national identity is tied up in Rugby and the All Blacks, but in the US, to be frank: no one gives a flying fuck about Rugby.

In a nutshell: there are 100's of Isles' in the US - HUNDREDS! But apparently there are very few in Rugby otherwise he would NEVER get this much attention.
preston

Postby mal » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:07 pm

I get it Preston, you're good with your assumptions. Less so with others. :lol:

And really, athletic talent is a lot more common than you may believe. Its the ability to do someting with it that's rare.

So NZ 's national identity is tied up in Rugby, and no-one gives a flying fuck?

So what is your Nation's identity?
mal

Postby preston » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:18 pm

mal wrote:I get it Preston, you're good with your assumptions. Less so with others. :lol:

And really, athletic talent is a lot more common than you may believe. Its the ability to do someting with it that's rare.

So NZ 's national identity is tied up in Rugby, and no-one gives a flying fuck?

So what is your Nation's identity?

Why you keep attacking me I don't understand, but it's really sad: instead of giving an apology you turned into Marlow. And to reiterate (I have to quote myself because you are being dishonest with what I said):
preston wrote:...New Zealand's national identity is tied up in Rugby and the All Blacks, but in the US, to be frank: no one gives a flying fuck about Rugby.

In a nutshell: there are 100's of Isles' in the US - HUNDREDS! But apparently there are very few in Rugby otherwise he would NEVER get this much attention.

So how does speed, the wow factor that's getting Isles so much visibility and the reason this thread was started, compare in New Zealand? Well, Tuariki said it best:
Tuariki wrote:...How unreal that a little country of 2.7 million people can have 53 sprinters currently under 10.3.

I don't think we have a single active sprinter in New Zealand running that fast.

As for my "nation's identity"? I put it in the box with the names of your more achieving training partners (who had the talent ... and the ability to do something with it) and your 100m PB. :wink:
preston

Postby Tuariki » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:07 pm

To Mal
While Preston, as he (or she??) is wont to do, he gives his opinion in extremely descriptive language. And while extremely descriptive he is also extremely correct.

The only reason Carlin Isles could come out of nowhere and become (at least or diehard Rugby nuts) an internet sensation was his blinding speed. None of the major sevens nations has anyone capable of catching him if he gets a half yard start on them.

And as Preston says the USA has "shitloads" of Carlin Isles'.

The most important attributes for a sevens player IMO opinion are:

Speed
then speed
then speed
and then the ability to dance with rugby ball in hand

Tackling is a useful skill but in terms of importance it is way, way behind speed. Defense becomes somewhat irrelevant in sevens if you can score with every possession.

The only reason that the best US athletes don;t play 15s rugby is money. The NFL bench warmers make a lot more money than rugby's stars.
Tuariki

Postby mal » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:46 pm

Tuariki. Facts don't concern me greatly. Its sometimes fun watching people lose their shit over minor things. And I do know enough about rugby to get it. Though with skilled oposition he will get hammered at some stage.

And Preston. Grasshopper, if you think you are attacked, you need to come out of the basement more often. You argue aggressively, which doesn't concern me in the slightest. I can be attacked all day by people on a keyboard. Never even leaves a bruise.

As for athletics. I had fun in my career. Learned a lot. Battled through injury and picked up a minor medal in an individual event at the Olympic trials. And I ran qualifying in the 100m and the 400m. I was a qualifying athlete who was left on the cutting room floor almost 40 years ago due to funding or lack of. Today I'd be in the team, as this year, others ran the same time and went to London.

Sport is not that important in the scheme of things. Except for what you overcome, or don't, and what you learn from it. I hope you had an even better career than I did. You certainly missed the subtleties of a conversation. :lol:
mal

Next