Indoor Track Indexing

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Indoor Track Indexing

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:28 pm

26mi235 wrote:There is a thread on LetsRun asking for some wide-radius 200m tracks. I am not sure what the variation is from the standard, since the straight is not that long as is.

How about a 200 meter circle? What could be wider than that?

By the way, my high school's old indoor 'track' when I was there was a 80 yard circle in a basement room. 22 laps to the mile.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby repmujhgih » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Texas Tech's Indoor track is a 220m Circle. Some do not like it because you are on a constant turn, but it is not sharp in the least so you are able to get into a routine and maintain it. People tend to run fast times on that track, but it is hard for them to get big competition to come in due to no major competitions run on that style of track.
repmujhgih

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:34 pm

A 220m track has half circles of 110m, which is about what a standard track gives. The IAAF has a restriction on acceptable tracks: A radius of 50m for performance a lane to be used for qualifying or records. Few indoor tracks could fall outside that unless they are large and almost circular; e.g., 300m circle would be 48 meters, so only the first two lanes would be acceptable.
26mi235

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:46 pm

repmujhgih wrote:Texas Tech's Indoor track is a 220m Circle. Some do not like it because you are on a constant turn, but it is not sharp in the least so you are able to get into a routine and maintain it. People tend to run fast times on that track, but it is hard for them to get big competition to come in due to no major competitions run on that style of track.

Believe that Texas Tech's track is 232m.
It is fast, as guys have run 45.+ on it.
Bruce Kritzler

Postby repmujhgih » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:19 pm

Bruce Kritzler wrote:Believe that Texas Tech's track is 232m.

That's right, 232 meters. I was a jumper and couldn't remember for sure. I just remember watching a lot of fast times on it from Tech athletes as well as other schools that were there.
repmujhgih

Previous