Gun (Lack of) Control

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Very Ugly Gun Thread

Postby Daisy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:43 am

jazzcyclist wrote:they are getting a lot of help from the video game industry and Hollywood's action movie industry.

I can buy that argument. Similar to teens weaving in and out of traffic too. It's become habit.
Daisy

Postby guru » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:19 pm

Very cool to see that Christian Bale has been in Colorado visiting the victims - privately and with no media notice(news got out when victim posted photo)

http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/24/christian ... -colorado/
guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:06 pm

Congressman Carolyn McCarthy, a.k.a. "The Gun Lady", wants Obama to ban guns by executive order. Eveidently, she had the same civics teacher as Sarah Palin if she thinks a President can use executives order to repeal constitutional amendments, but even an attempt to do such a thing would be the greatest gift he could give Romney.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/2 ... tions-2012
jazzcyclist

Postby jeremyp » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:17 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Congressman Carolyn McCarthy, a.k.a. "The Gun Lady", wants Obama to ban guns by executive order. Eveidently, she had the same civics teacher as Sarah Palin if she thinks a President can use executives order to repeal constitutional amendments, but even an attempt to do such a thing would be the greatest gift he could give Romney.

Which is why it was so idiotic and ignorant of the masses to rush out and buy guns because the NRA said Obama would ban guns. They (the NRA) knew he couldn't; the arms industry knew he couldn't; but the sheeple bought it hook line and sinker. More billions for the gun folks.
jeremyp

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:41 pm

jeremyp wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Congressman Carolyn McCarthy, a.k.a. "The Gun Lady", wants Obama to ban guns by executive order. Eveidently, she had the same civics teacher as Sarah Palin if she thinks a President can use executives order to repeal constitutional amendments, but even an attempt to do such a thing would be the greatest gift he could give Romney.

Which is why it was so idiotic and ignorant of the masses to rush out and buy guns because the NRA said Obama would ban guns. They (the NRA) knew he couldn't; the arms industry knew he couldn't; but the sheeple bought it hook line and sinker. More billions for the gun folks.

Perhaps she's getting money under the table from the NRA to say carzy stuff like this.
jazzcyclist

Postby Bijan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:13 am

Bijan

Postby jeremyp » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Bijan wrote:Alleged Aurora shooter no whiz kid:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/sto ... 56467518/1

Which makes one wonder who they are allowing in to the program? The fact that he was mediocre and struggled may indicate a motive. Failure attempting notoriety.
jeremyp

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:13 pm

jeremyp wrote:

Which makes one wonder who they are allowing in to the program? The fact that he was mediocre and struggled may indicate a motive. Failure attempting notoriety.

I guess so, but the guy is a nutter no matter what. School is not going well, geez I think I will spend thousands of dollars on guns and ammo. He should have spent more time on his studies and less time, and money, on planning a massacre.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby jeremyp » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:23 am

Conor Dary wrote:
jeremyp wrote:

I guess so, but the guy is a nutter no matter what. School is not going well, geez I think I will spend thousands of dollars on guns and ammo. He should have spent more time on his studies and less time, and money, on planning a massacre.

Most of these shooters are either insane or have deeply rooted inferiority complexes, or both. The most dangerous human in society is not the nutter but the depressed/suicidal individual who wants to take out others (projecting his own hatred of their "normalcy") before killing himself. The number of men taking out their families, and then killing themselves, is astounding.
jeremyp

Postby Daisy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:28 am

jeremyp wrote:Which makes one wonder who they are allowing in to the program?

The best in the lab are not always the ones with the high GPA. Sounds like they took a risk on a student that appeared to be motivated. Obviously they realised their mistake and were about to ask him to leave. That normally means writing a thesis towards a masters or, in his case, withdrawing from the program.
Daisy

Postby mump boy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:06 am

jeremyp wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
jeremyp wrote:

Most of these shooters are either insane or have deeply rooted inferiority complexes, or both. The most dangerous human in society is not the nutter but the depressed/suicidal individual who wants to take out others (projecting his own hatred of their "normalcy") before killing himself. The number of men taking out their families, and then killing themselves, is astounding.

Thank god he's got the freedom to buy guns and make his dream come true :D
mump boy

Postby Daisy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:24 am

I heard this quote from Romney, about the Colorado gunmen, this morning.
Well this person shouldn't have had any kind of weapons and bombs and other devices and it was illegal for him to have many of those things already. But he had them. And so we can sometimes hope that just changing the law will make all bad things go away. It won't.

Has he moved the bar on gun control? What illegal 'things' was Romney referring to?
Daisy

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:30 am

Daisy wrote:I heard this quote from Romney, about the Colorado gunmen, this morning.
Well this person shouldn't have had any kind of weapons and bombs and other devices and it was illegal for him to have many of those things already. But he had them. And so we can sometimes hope that just changing the law will make all bad things go away. It won't.

Has he moved the bar on gun control? What illegal 'things' was Romney referring to?

Who knows?

Despite Mitt Romney’s Claims, Aurora Suspect’s Gun Purchases Were Legal

Mitt Romney brushed off suggestions that the Aurora, Colo. theater shooting should renew a national conversation on gun control Wednesday, saying that it “was illegal” for accused Aurora shooter James Holmes to have the “kind of weapons and bombs and other devices” he used in his deadly attack.

Not exactly. Holmes legally purchased the weapons used in the attack, and legally bought thousands of rounds of ammunition online. One of the guns would have been illegal under the federal assault weapons ban, which expired in 2004.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... gun_pu.php
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:38 am

I think European-style gun laws would reduce spontaneous gun murders (eg. crimes of passion, bar room brawls, etc.), IF you could get guns out of circulation, but they wouldn't stop determined nutjobs who are willing to put a lot of time and thought into carrying their acts. They might effect what weapons the nutjob uses, but that's about it.
jazzcyclist

Postby jeremyp » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:54 am

jazzcyclist wrote:I think European-style gun laws would reduce spontaneous gun murders (eg. crimes of passion, bar room brawls, etc.), IF you could get guns out of circulation, but they wouldn't stop determined nutjobs who are willing to put a lot of time and thought into carrying their acts. They might effect what weapons the nutjob uses, but that's about it.

And Norway was a case in point. I believe he got his weapons through the internet.
jeremyp

Postby JRM » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:19 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:I think European-style gun laws would reduce spontaneous gun murders (eg. crimes of passion, bar room brawls, etc.), IF you could get guns out of circulation, but they wouldn't stop determined nutjobs who are willing to put a lot of time and thought into carrying their acts. They might effect what weapons the nutjob uses, but that's about it.

Of course if someone is determined enough to do something, they will find a way to do it. But the harder you make it to do whatever it is they want to do, the more you'll find that the "determined" nutjobs really aren't as determined as you thought.

Not everyone who can pick up a gun at Walmart and go shoot 20 people is a "determined nut-job" who will stop at nothing to carry out their evil plan. Rather, as you suggest, those are "crimes of passion" -- literally shoot first, think later.
JRM

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:00 pm

JRM wrote:

Of course if someone is determined enough to do something, they will find a way to do it. But the harder you make it to do whatever it is they want to do, the more you'll find that the "determined" nutjobs really aren't as determined as you thought.

Not everyone who can pick up a gun at Walmart and go shoot 20 people is a "determined nut-job" who will stop at nothing to carry out their evil plan. Rather, as you suggest, those are "crimes of passion" -- literally shoot first, think later.

I don't consider the spontaneous murderer to be determined, but I certainly think that the vast majority of mass murderers are (eg. Colorado, Virginia Tech, Norway, etc.). Most mass murderers don't carry out their acts on a whim or in a fit of anger, and usually the evidence they leave behind proves this (eg. email, websites, magazine and newspapaer clippings, etc.). Do you think stricter gun laws would have prevented the Colorado shootings?
jazzcyclist

Postby mump boy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:23 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
JRM wrote:

I don't consider the spontaneous murderer to be determined, but I certainly think that the vast majority of mass murderers are (eg. Colorado, Virginia Tech, Norway, etc.). Most mass murderers don't carry out their acts on a whim or in a fit of anger, and usually the evidence they leave behind proves this (eg. email, websites, magazine and newspapaer clippings, etc.). Do you think stricter gun laws would have prevented the Colorado shootings?

If stricter gun laws don't help prevent these kind of events can you explain why i can only think of 2 in my lifetime in the UK (Hungeford and Dunblane) while you have about 2 a year in the US ?!!
mump boy

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:29 pm

mump boy wrote:

If stricter gun laws don't help prevent these kind of events can you explain why i can only think of 2 in my lifetime in the UK (Hungeford and Dunblane) while you have about 2 a year in the US ?!!

And those were about 10 years apart and Dunblane was back in 1996.
Conor Dary

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:33 pm

mump boy wrote:If stricter gun laws don't help prevent these kind of events can you explain why i can only think of 2 in my lifetime in the UK (Hungeford and Dunblane) while you have about 2 a year in the US ?!!

1) The U.S. has five times as many people as the U.K.

2) The U.S. is more violent than the U.K. in general, and the fact that the American non-gun murder rate is many times higher than the British non-gun murder rate proves this.

Also, you only mentioned gun massacres. I know enough about British history to know that you have had many more massacres than two over the last 25 years. Have you forgotten about the 7/7 bombings already?
jazzcyclist

Postby muckin 4on » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:50 pm

The need to possess a gun is, for the most part, an admission of fear. Apparently Americans are very afraid.
muckin 4on

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:05 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Also, you only mentioned gun massacres. I know enough about British history to know that you have had many more massacres than two over the last 25 years. Have you forgotten about the 7/7 bombings already?

Geez that is a great point, but if you want to include terrorism, which is not part of this discussion, you forgot 9/11...and Oklahoma City.

And what other massacres are you talking about? Enlighten us with your knowledge of UK history.

No one is advocating banning all guns. The problem are these semi automatic guns that hold 30 or more rounds. Something no one needs.

Even Bill O'Reilly is in agreement.

O’Reilly, who has long been a proponent of gun control, said on Fox that it makes sense for Congress to pass a new law that requires the sale of all heavy weapons to be reported to the FBI. O’Reilly then invited Chaffetz on to dissent.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... aurora.php
Last edited by Conor Dary on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Conor Dary

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:09 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
2) The U.S. is more violent than the U.K. in general, and the fact that the American non-gun murder rate is many times higher than the British non-gun murder rate proves this.

Actually the crime rate and murder rate is down in the US in the last 30 years. However, mass murder still goes on and on...
Conor Dary

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:41 pm

muckin 4on wrote:The need to possess a gun is, for the most part, an admission of fear. Apparently Americans are very afraid.

There's no doubt about that. I'd like to know how the percentage of home security sytems and gated communties compares to that of other Western nations.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Conor Dary wrote:Even Bill O'Reilly is in agreement.

You may hold O'Reilly in high esteem but I don't.
jazzcyclist

Postby Daisy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:51 pm

muckin 4on wrote:The need to possess a gun is, for the most part, an admission of fear. Apparently Americans are very afraid.

Or angry.
Daisy

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:55 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

Actually the crime rate and murder rate is down in the US in the last 30 years. However, mass murder still goes on and on...

It may have gone down, but it's still much higher than the British crime rate. Here's the link to an interesting read.

http://willblogforfood.typepad.com/will ... urope.html

Edit: Here's another link that lists crime rates in a variety of countries. One stat that jumped out at me is Northern Ireland. What's up with that? :?

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvinco.html
jazzcyclist

Postby Daisy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:20 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:What's up with that?

Protestants and Catholics. AKA the troubles.
Daisy

Postby slowjo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:59 pm

Surely you were joking about NI jazz?

:?
slowjo

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:38 am

slowjo wrote:Surely you were joking about NI jazz?

I would hope so...
Conor Dary

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:23 am

I know about the Troubles but how are folks involved in the conflict able to get around the U.K.'s very strict gun laws?
jazzcyclist

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:28 am

jazzcyclist wrote:

I know about the Troubles but how are folks involved in the conflict able to get around the U.K.'s very strict gun laws?

Smuggling.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 26448.html
Conor Dary

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:36 am

Conor Dary wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

Smuggling.

That's interesting. I would have thought that most of the killings were done with homemade bombs, since Ireland has strict guns laws too which means guns would have to cross water.
jazzcyclist

Postby mump boy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:40 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

Smuggling.

That's interesting. I would have thought that most of the killings were done with homemade bombs, since Ireland has strict guns laws too which means guns would have to cross water.

as does cocaine but it doesn't stop it coming into the country. Of course people have guns in the UK just you have to be pretty determine and criminal to get one. You can't just buy them and shoot people on a whim and you certainly can't get hold of automatics.

You hardly ever hear about gun crime in the UK
mump boy

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:52 am

One of the local businesses that has been advertising heavily during NBC's Olympic coverage is a firearms dealer. During their commercial, not only do they talk about their large stock of AR-15's in various configurations, but they also brag about their class III license which allows them to sell automatic weapons and silencers, and their experience in helping customers walk through the many steps you have to go through in order to buy one of these weapons. I wonder how much class III business they're getting these days. I personally don't know anyone with an automatic weapon and I work with plenty of gun nuts. The common feeling among them is that once they found out that buying an automatic weapon was more invasive than being audited by the IRS, they decided it wasn't worth it.
jazzcyclist

Postby guru » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:10 pm

guru

Re: Gun (Lack of) Control

Postby Daisy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:52 pm

This would never happen in Wisconsin as we are allowed to carry a concealed weapon.
Daisy

Postby rsb2 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Yes, it seems clear that everyone should have been able to unsheath their assault weapons and fire blindly in all directions, until all movement was impossible, due to life having been extinguished. Good plan !!!
rsb2

Postby Per Andersen » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:03 pm

Daisy wrote:This would never happen in Wisconsin as we are allowed to carry a concealed weapon.

No? If this had occurred in Wisconsin with 10000 shoppers around, how many guns? About a thousand?

Do you agree with this statement about US school shootings? "The real tragedy is that there are still students going to school unarmed"
Per Andersen

Postby Pego » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:13 am

Per Andersen wrote:
Daisy wrote:This would never happen in Wisconsin as we are allowed to carry a concealed weapon.

No? If this had occurred in Wisconsin with 10000 shoppers around, how many guns? About a thousand?

Do you agree with this statement about US school shootings? "The real tragedy is that there are still students going to school unarmed"

A year after a concealed carry in Wisconsin was implemented, early statistics coming in indicate neither reduction in crime, nor an increase in confrontations. Pretty much nothing happened.
Pego

PreviousNext