Lincoln

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Lincoln

Postby Marlow » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:03 pm

Has this movie (premiering Friday) already won the Oscar for Best Picture and Best Actor?! Apparently this has been bouncing around in Producer/Director Spielberg's mind for a decade, and he's babied it every step of the way.
Marlow

Re: Lincoln

Postby dukehjsteve » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Proof of the pudding is in the eating. When it's served, I'll eat it and see.
dukehjsteve

Postby Marlow » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Saw it tonight.
Francis Ford Coppola once famously said (of Apocalypse Now), "Nothing is so terrible as a pretentious movie. I mean a movie that aspires for something really terrific and doesn’t pull it off is shit, it’s scum…and everyone will walk on it as such. And that’s why poor filmmakers in a way – that’s their greatest horror – is to be pretentious. So here you are on one hand that’s trying to aspire to really do something, and on the other hand you’re not allowed to be pretentious. And finally you say, ‘fuck it.’ I don’t care if I’m pretentious or not pretentious or if I’ve done it or I haven’t done it. All I know is that I am going to see this movie. And that for me it has to have some answers. And by answers I don’t mean just a punch line, answers on about 47 different levels."

That about sums Lincoln up. The first hour was wooden (and pretentious), but the subject matter almost demands it, and in the end it succeeds despite itself. And yes, DD-L is amazing, as usual. There's tons of familiar faces in interesting roles, but Tommy Lee Jones steals the show, chewing up the scenery left and right.

It'll get many Oscars noms.
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:31 pm

Finally saw Lincoln tonite...wasn't on my short list of must sees .. I kinda knew how it was going to end but show time and place was convenient.. pleasant surprised. I believe this is what Marlow calls a "film" as opposed to a "movie"....and rightly so.

Not only an excellent period piece, it was, assuming it is factually accurate, a revelation of the evolution of the 13 Amendment and the rough and tumble politics of the mid-19th century...

Those guys give new meaning to the word vicious.. they said out loud, in public the kind of stuff I keep bottled up. :)

Anyhoo, I thought the casting was excellent and I predict many well deserved Oscars.
lonewolf

Postby bad hammy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:06 am

Saw it a couple of days ago - an excellent film. Goes a long way to humanize the Lincoln myth. Also shows that horse trading and general ugliness in politics has been around for a while. I think most folks would enjoy it and maybe learn a thing or two along the way - I did.
bad hammy

Postby gh » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:19 am

gh

Postby jeremyp » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:54 am

gh wrote:The LA Lakers go to see Lincoln:

http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/12/d ... lincoln-is

Well Nash is Canadian so he's excused! As to those guys not knowing Lincoln was assassinated.....history is one of those "not needed" subjects in schools these days. My daughter's (45) knowledge of history is abysmal. I, on the other hand, was a history major although American history pre 1900 left me cold, having had all the British Kings/Queens rammed down my throat in British boarding school. I thought the political stuff around the 13th, although historically shaky, was fascinating. Spielberg has had a lot of historians up in arms. It's the movies and they can do what they want. I'm sure Dark Knight Thirty will get the same grilling from people as well.
jeremyp

Postby aaronk » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:16 pm

jeremyp wrote:

Well Nash is Canadian so he's excused! As to those guys not knowing Lincoln was assassinated.....history is one of those "not needed" subjects in schools these days. My daughter's (45) knowledge of history is abysmal. I, on the other hand, was a history major although American history pre 1900 left me cold, having had all the British Kings/Queens rammed down my throat in British boarding school. I thought the political stuff around the 13th, although historically shaky, was fascinating. Spielberg has had a lot of historians up in arms. It's the movies and they can do what they want. I'm sure Dark Knight Thirty will get the same grilling from people as well.

Reading your comment, I was somewhat reminded of a scene from the 1995 movie "The American President", starring Michael Douglas.

In this scene, he takes a thick book on the Constitution to his 12 year old daughter, to help her study.
He wants to generate enthusiasm in her for the topic, so asks her to read the first page, thinking how excited she'd become!!

She opens the book, and dryly reads...."Property of Gilmore Junior High"!!

:lol:
aaronk

Postby cullman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:20 pm

jeremyp wrote:

Well Nash is Canadian so he's excused!...

Maybe gh can back me up on this but us Canadians were taught a lot of American History in grade school and know who Lincoln is. :) Many of us even know that John C. Calhoun and not Daniel Tompkins was John Quincy Adams' VP...which Edmund Gwenn cacked up in the movie Miracle On 34th Street. :?

cman
cullman

Postby bambam » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:11 pm

aaronk wrote:Reading your comment, I was somewhat reminded of a scene from the 1995 movie "The American President", starring Michael Douglas. In this scene, he takes a thick book on the Constitution to his 12 year old daughter, to help her study. He wants to generate enthusiasm in her for the topic, so asks her to read the first page, thinking how excited she'd become!! She opens the book, and dryly reads...."Property of Gilmore Junior High"!!

OK, a similar scene, going much further back - 1970s TV show Newhart (the first one with Suzanne Pleshette). She gives him a watch for his birthday, and tells him she had it inscribed. She tells to look on the back of the watch and read it, he intones, "I love you. I love you. I love you. Switzerland."
bambam

Postby Pego » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:21 pm

jeremyp wrote:Well Nash is Canadian so he's excused!

Assassinations of Julius Caesar and Abraham Lincoln are taught in every reasonably decent school around the world.
Pego

Postby jeremyp » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:02 am

Pego wrote:
jeremyp wrote:Well Nash is Canadian so he's excused!

Assassinations of Julius Caesar and Abraham Lincoln are taught in every reasonably decent school around the world.

In Nash's defense his "crime" was to fall asleep in the movie, not being ignorant of Lincoln's demise.
jeremyp

Postby Marlow » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:40 am

jeremyp wrote:In Nash's defense his "crime" was to fall asleep in the movie

well . . .
Marlow wrote:The first hour was wooden (and pretentious)
Marlow

Postby JRM » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:11 pm

cullman wrote:
jeremyp wrote:

Well Nash is Canadian so he's excused!...

Maybe gh can back me up on this but us Canadians were taught a lot of American History in grade school and know who Lincoln is.

I would say we weren't, unless it was something involving national or global significance (unless you specifically took a course, or did a school project on, American history). For example, I remember learning about the Loyalists who fled to Canada during the revolutionary war, but nothing specific about the war itself.

That being said, I think it's quite easy to figure out who Lincoln was and what he did without even cracking a history book. For example, google "Family Guy Lincoln"... :wink:
JRM

Postby jeremyp » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Marlow wrote:

well . . .

But if it makes 1 billion you'll love it right? :D
jeremyp

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:44 pm

A friend/colleague raised in Toronto said that he had a year of US history in high school and thought that many Canadians could name 20 or so US presidents. He has seen the movie, I have not yet.
26mi235

Postby marknhj » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:09 pm

jeremyp wrote:
Marlow wrote:

well . . .

We need the TAFNY's back so I could nominate you for this post, Jeremy!
marknhj

Postby Marlow » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:46 pm

marknhj wrote:
jeremyp wrote:
Marlow wrote:

well . . .

We need the TAFNY's back so I could nominate you for this post, Jeremy!

You both err. Titanic AND Gone With the Wind, #1 and #2 Box Office all-time - not a fan of either.

Ooooooh - busted! :twisted:
Marlow

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Saw " Lincoln " today.

DDL gets an A++.

Movie gets a B+. Too many excessively contrived/melodramic scenes. But a B+ is a high mark... I'm a tough grader.
dukehjsteve

Postby Brian » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:07 am

dukehjsteve wrote:Saw " Lincoln " today.

DDL gets an A++.

Movie gets a B+. Too many excessively contrived/melodramic scenes. But a B+ is a high mark... I'm a tough grader.

I was very disappointed.

He didn't kill one vampire or zombie.
Brian

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:09 am

What? He killed them all.
26mi235

Postby bijanc » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Haven't seen it. A Wash. Post style section writer and prolific biographer asked me the other day if I had. He saw the film, and while he feels Daniel Day-Lewis will thrash Denzel Washington for Best Actor, he found the film long-winded because it is about the passing of a bill. And this is not a man who dislikes dialogue (studied drama in NYC under Stella Adler after college before he became a journalist, and one of his sports bio's, plus a Wash. Post article, have been optioned by Hollywood).
bijanc

Postby Marlow » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:30 pm

bijanc wrote:he found the film long-winded

As a character study, it's awesome. As a paean to DDL's method acting, it's awesome. As a Hollywood movie, it's stilted, bordering on hokey.
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:12 pm

I thought Bill Clinton's speech at the convention was long winded, but I was spell bound. There is wind and then there is WIND!
jeremyp