She's baaaacccckkkk!! (For better or for worse!)

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

She's baaaacccckkkk!! (For better or for worse!)

Postby aaronk » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:02 am

"She" (of the title) is Australia's junior high hurdler, Michelle Jenneke.

There's an article on today's front page about that "dance" she did at the WJC last summer.

But even better, there's a fairly lengthy (10 minutes??) video of an interview with her ABOUT that "dance"....and everything else Michelle Jenneke!! (Including quite a bit about her ATHLETIC career!!)

Guess what??

She's not only a serious athlete, she's a pretty intelligent woman (she's studying "mechatronics"!!!), as well as vivacious, charming, sexy, and whatever ELSE you might want to describe her as being!

An interview well worth your time!

(Can't wait to find out what she'll be doing this Australian "summer" track season!!)
aaronk

Re: She's baaaacccckkkk!! (For better or for worse!)

Postby Marlow » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:25 am

aaronk wrote:She's . . . sexy.

So I'm still the prude (out-of-touch, misguided, etc.) here, but as long as she's still a teenager, I don't feel that's an appropriate adjective, especially for someone in an athletic context. Your mileage may vary.
Marlow

Postby aaronk » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:47 am

Marlow wrote:

So I'm still the prude (out-of-touch, misguided, etc.) here, but as long as she's still a teenager, I don't feel that's an appropriate adjective, especially for someone in an athletic context. Your mileage may vary.

Check out the headline to the front page article!

And being 19 is a world away from being 17.

I'm not saying it's right to call her "sexy".....but to say she is at age 19 does not at all share the weight of calling her that at age 17.

Not to argue the same points over and over again....but that video (of her pre-race routine at the WJ's) went VIRAL for a reason!!!

And it was NOT because she ran 13.45 in the 100H.....or had a PR of 13.32 (??).
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 am

I learned at least one thing from the interview (the video with the front page article).

How to pronounce her name!!

I'd thought it was pronounced as "Jenn EEK"....as in "meek" or "weak".

She pronounces it as "Jenn-eck-uh"

I stand corrected! :D
aaronk

Postby Marlow » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:12 pm

aaronk wrote:I'm not saying it's right to call her "sexy".....but . . . that video (of her pre-race routine at the WJ's) went VIRAL for a reason!!!

I love the video and her joie de vivre! I find nothing in it to suggest sex. I remind you that the actual meaning of the word is "Arousing or tending to arouse sexual desire." It is definitely not a synonym for 'pretty', 'attractive' or even 'appealing.

Again, I'm probably the only one who feels this way here, so there ya go . . .
Marlow

Postby gh » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:42 pm

let's put it this way, if you wouldn't use a similar word to describe a male athlete, then you shouldn't use it for the women either.
gh

Postby tandfman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:46 pm

aaronk wrote:She's not only a serious athlete, she's a pretty intelligent woman (she's studying "mechatronics"!!!),

I had never heard of mechatronics, so I Googled it. OMG!
tandfman

Postby aaronk » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:56 pm

gh wrote:let's put it this way, if you wouldn't use a similar word to describe a male athlete, then you shouldn't use it for the women either.

I agree, gh!
But this ain't a PC world we live in!!

Soooo....go into any HS girl's locker room (NO, I'm NOT suggesting.......Just using it as a hypothetical!!) when adults aren't around.....and listen to the girls talking about that....

HUNK Quarterback...
the BUNS on that tight end (pun INTENDED!! :D )...
those TIGHT muscles....
those BEDROOM eyes....

and tell me we guys shouldn't say a girl is "sexy".
aaronk

Postby 18.99s » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:03 pm

aaronk wrote:and tell me we guys shouldn't say a girl is "sexy".

I think he's saying you shouldn't say that on this board.

Outside this board, say what you want.
18.99s

Postby tandfman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:11 pm

FWIW, the text on the screen between the video of the warm-up routine and the interview describes the video as "sexy".
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Thank you for making my point.
Marlow

Postby Marlow » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:30 pm

tandfman wrote:I had never heard of mechatronics, so I Googled it. OMG!

The easiest way to describe it is to look a modern (2012) luxury car's integrated dash and control console.
Marlow

Postby gh » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:52 pm

18.99s wrote:

Yes, I'm telling him that if he does it again he's history.
gh

Postby mcgato » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Jeez, could they have killed the stupid electronica music that is drowning out the actual interview? I know it is supposed to be a light interview, but usually the whole idea of talking to someone is to actually be able to hear what they say. So let me know if she said anything interesting in the last half of the interview, because I shut it off at about that point.
mcgato

Postby Marlow » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:05 pm

mcgato wrote: let me know if she said anything interesting in the last half of the interview, because I shut it off at about that point.

She said she falls a lot in practice and likes it because it shows her that she's trying to get better. I will be showing that to my hurdlers!!! :D
Marlow

Postby aaronk » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:53 pm

gh wrote:
18.99s wrote:

Yes, I'm telling him that if he does it again he's history.

Thanks for the warning, Mr Hill!
I won't do it again.
Sorry!!

Be easier, of course, if she'd run, say, a 12.99 soon....so we can focus more on her running than on her looks.
But happy you gave me a warning....instead of throwing me in jail!! :)
aaronk

Postby rsb2 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:01 pm

How sad, perhaps pathetic is a better word !
rsb2

Postby Tuariki » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:24 am

Hmmmmm. How interesting. If I got my maths right, according to the the Theorem of Aaronk it takes only 0.33 seconds to go from sexy to athletic.

I was also wondering how Aaronk was able to become a self proclaimed expert on the chattering that goes on in the women's locker room.
Tuariki

Postby aaronk » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:12 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
aaronk

Postby mal » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:39 am

gh wrote:let's put it this way, if you wouldn't use a similar word to describe a male athlete, then you shouldn't use it for the women either.

GH, I learned since I retired that white collar workers have a pencil jammed up their khyber pass.

There is a completely different world out there where people make jokes at other people's expense, and others aren't offended.

Trying to get people to react the 'way they should' is counter productive. Clearly there is some poor taste stuff, but unfortunately the 'political correct intelligensia' have drawn too dark a line.

I look forward to the day when people can enjoy everyone's company without being overly concerned about inadvertent imaginary offense.
mal

Postby 18.99s » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:40 am

mcgato wrote:Jeez, could they have killed the stupid electronica music that is drowning out the actual interview? I know it is supposed to be a light interview, but usually the whole idea of talking to someone is to actually be able to hear what they say.

Are you listening with tiny laptop speakers? On my large desktop speakers, her voice is crystal clear and isn't drowned out by the music, but on my laptop the music is much louder relative to her voice.
18.99s

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:04 am

mal wrote:There is a completely different world out there where people make jokes at other people's expense, and others aren't offended.

The key words are 'out there'. This, however, in 'in here', and higher standards of civil conduct apply. I appreciate that, even when sometimes I am the recipient of the consequences of 'improper behavior'. It's actually refreshing to come to an internet site that is being 'over'-policed. The gutter conduct I see in many places is depressing.
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:13 am

mal wrote:There is a completely different world out there where people make jokes at other people's expense, and others aren't offended.

How do you know they're not offended? The fact that someone doesn't speak up does not mean he/she's not offneded.

mal wrote:I look forward to the day when people can enjoy everyone's company without being overly concerned about inadvertent imaginary offense.

People who are considerate of the sensitivities and feelings of others try to be careful about saying things that might offend. The attitude of not "being overly concerned about inadvertent imaginary offense" almost precludes being habitually careful to consider the sensitivities and feelings of others.
tandfman

Postby mal » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:33 am

tandfman wrote:

How do you know they're not offended? The fact that someone doesn't speak up does not mean he/she's not offneded.

mal wrote:I look forward to the day when people can enjoy everyone's company without being overly concerned about inadvertent imaginary offense.

People who are considerate of the sensitivities and feelings of others try to be careful about saying things that might offend. The attitude of not "being overly concerned about inadvertent imaginary offense" almost precludes being habitually careful to consider the sensitivities and feelings of others.

Perhaps I should say then, that I look forward to the day when 'Mind The Gap' is not a philosophy.
I will guess than the majority of outraged is disportionate to the impact they have had on society.

Accomodation has been made to the extent that mediocrity is the new norm.
mal

Postby preston » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:07 am

Marlow wrote:

Way too sanctimonious, again. :?

She's 19! Probably the average age of a model for SI, a Paris Runway or even Victoria's Secret and we don't have people worrying about if they're "old enough". She's a woman! Legal to consent in nearly any jurisdiction, legal to be stripper. And, if aaronk want's to call her sexy than he should be able to, but he might have to do it on the Things not T&F as not to run afoul of the meandering "lines" of this board.

mal wrote:GH, I learned since I retired that white collar workers have a pencil jammed up their khyber pass.

There is a completely different world out there where people make jokes at other people's expense, and others aren't offended.

Trying to get people to react the 'way they should' is counter productive. Clearly there is some poor taste stuff, but unfortunately the 'political correct intelligensia' have drawn too dark a line.

I look forward to the day when people can enjoy everyone's company without being overly concerned about inadvertent imaginary offense.

This may be your reality, but you also could have made it up to justify your point. Since I don't know you, I can only believe it's the latter because that is certainly NOT my experience. Some offenses are certainly inadvertent, but that doesn't make them any less offensive; it just means that maybe some education is in order. Education that you call "political correctness" - a fake concept for fake rage.
preston

Postby Pego » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:21 am

mal wrote:Accomodation has been made to the extent that mediocrity is the new norm.

I fail to see how respect for others=mediocrity.
Pego

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:23 am

preston wrote:
Marlow wrote:

if aaronk want's to call her sexy than he should be able to, but he might have to do it on the Things not T&F as not to run afoul of the meandering "lines" of this board.

This may be your reality, but you also could have made it up to justify your point.

I assume you're addressing this to the moderator of the board, Garry Hill, since it was his decision to tell aaronk that if he does it again, he's banned.
You seem oblivious to the reality of THIS forum. Your reality is not the only one.
Marlow

Postby preston » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:33 am

Marlow wrote:
preston wrote:
Marlow wrote:

if aaronk want's to call her sexy than he should be able to, but he might have to do it on the Things not T&F as not to run afoul of the meandering "lines" of this board.

This may be your reality, but you also could have made it up to justify your point.

I assume you're addressing this to the moderator of the board, Garry Hill, since it was his decision to tell aaronk that if he does it again, he's banned.
You seem oblivious to the reality of THIS forum. Your reality is not the only one.

Marlow, it's incredibly bad form to purposely misquote someone to seemingly make your pointlessness unpointless. You do it all the time and I wish you would stop. All comments about reality were directed towards mal. Also, that first bit ... if you want to go back and read it ... was addressed to you. I'm sure gh is perfectly capable of determining what is being DIRECTED towards him and what is not. You could learn alot from him.
preston

Postby gh » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:47 am

Bottom line is this: it has been board policy from day 1 (and will be at least until the end of the Mayan Calendar :mrgreen: ) that sexist comments are not allowed. Judging women athletes by their pulchritude falls into that category.

Note that I said athletes: there is indeed a "double standard" in operation here. If you wanna go over on the Things Not Track forum and note that Jennifer Aniston gives you a terminal hard-on, that's your business. Women whose profession is being in the public eye know/want that kind of analysis to come with the territory.

Doing the same for athletes is off the table because they're (by and large) out there to be judged on their athletic skills, and that's how we'll judge them.

Thus endeth today's lesson.
gh