NFL Can Do Anything

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

NFL Can Do Anything

Postby bambam » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Let's see - Hurricane Sandy decimates New York and New Jersey - the New York Marathon cannot be run, and the press is irate that they are even considering running the race, but ...

Oh yeah, the NFL game at the Meadowlands that weekend can go on, and nobody seems upset about that. Particularly the media. No problem with that.

A KC Chiefs player commits a murder-suicide the day before a game, with the suicide coming right in front of his coaches, but the NFL game can go on. No problem with that.

Dallas Cowboys player is out drunk and gets in an accident and one of the other players dies, the day before a game, and that driver is arrested for vehicular manslaughter, but their NFL game can go on. No problem with that.

And if you really want to go back, a US President can be assassinated on a Thursday, but the NFL will still play their games that Sunday (although Pete Rozelle did later say it was his greatest mistake). No problem with that - at least the old AFL did not play that weekend.

Now take the above scenarios to another sport (try track & field), substitute that sports name or league's name, have the same things happen, try to play the games or events, and see what the media would do to that league.

The National Felons League is simply above us all. They can do anything.
bambam

Re: NFL Can Do Anything

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:16 pm

bambam wrote:Let's see - Hurricane Sandy decimates New York and New Jersey - the New York Marathon cannot be run, and the press is irate that they are even considering running the race, but ...

Oh yeah, the NFL game at the Meadowlands that weekend can go on, and nobody seems upset about that. Particularly the media. No problem with that.

The biggest outcry from folks not to run the marathon came from ordinary New Yorkers. What the rest of the country, including those from North Carolina, or Illinois, is irrelevant, though I did agree the race should not have been run that weekend.

As for playing the NFL game, I don't recall any real opposition to going ahead, certainly nothing like the vitriol that came the NYRR club's and Bloomberg's way.

Yes, the NFL is a big deal and usually gets its way. What else is new.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby guru » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:58 pm

bambam wrote:Let's see - Hurricane Sandy decimates New York and New Jersey - the New York Marathon cannot be run, and the press is irate that they are even considering running the race, but ...

Now, you know better than that Bill. The game was in ONE centralized location, with no draw on city resources. The marathon's footprint covered the entire city.

A KC Chiefs player commits a murder-suicide the day before a game, with the suicide coming right in front of his coaches, but the NFL game can go on. No problem with that.

Dallas Cowboys player is out drunk and gets in an accident and one of the other players dies, the day before a game, and that driver is arrested for vehicular manslaughter, but their NFL game can go on. No problem with that.

Both were handled appropriately. In the Chiefs case the league deferred to the team, who left it up to the players. They decided it was best to play. I'm fine with that. In the Cowboys case the player - a starter - was arrested and charged with the appropriate crime. Despite bonding out he did not play Sunday, and almost certainly will never play another NFL game.

There's plenty to criticize when it comes to the NFL, but nothing in their handling of any of the three situations discussed here.
guru

Postby bambam » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:18 pm

guru wrote:There's plenty to criticize when it comes to the NFL, but nothing in their handling of any of the three situations discussed here.

It was 49 years ago but how about playing all their games 3 days after the Kennedy Assassination? And they weren't even big then. I'm surprised they didn't play after 9/11
bambam

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:42 pm

bambam wrote: I'm surprised they didn't play after 9/11

I don't think the NFL had a choice in the matter since entire American airline industry was grounded for a week. I remember all the golfers on the PGA tour were forced to rent cars to drive back to their homes after that weekend's tournament was cancelled.
jazzcyclist

Postby guru » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:50 pm

bambam wrote:
guru wrote:There's plenty to criticize when it comes to the NFL, but nothing in their handling of any of the three situations discussed here.

It was 49 years ago but how about playing all their games 3 days after the Kennedy Assassination? And they weren't even big then.

I wasnt around back then, but I agree it would have been best had they not played the weekend after the assassination.

It's probably worth noting the league did postpone one of the Eagles home games last year in the interest of public safety when a snowstorm was bearing down on the city - and took an untold amount of grief for it.
guru