Petroleum Geology

Forum devoted to track & field items of an historical nature.

Petroleum Geology

Postby DoubleRBar » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:45 am

Happy birthday today (Friday) to an Olympic champion born 102 years ago this day in December. Our birthday athlete was not the favorite going into the Olympic final and our birthday athlete would not have won the Olympic gold medal under today's rules.

This Olympic champion's gold medal was stolen the year after the Olympic Games in which this medal was won.

Not many Olympic champions have a masters degree from Cal Tech in Pasadena, but this one does.

Only a few Olympic champions have a PhD from USC and our birthday athlete is one of them.

Death for our birthday champion came on what would have been Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s 69th birthday. Our birthday athlete passed away at the age of 87. Dr. King died at the age of 39.

You can forget the hurdles when trying to figure who this Olympic champion is. I can tell you that our birthday athlete was 21 years old when winning the Olympic gold medal.

Any idea who this athlete is?
DoubleRBar

Re: Petroleum Geology

Postby LopenUupunut » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:38 pm

Duncan McNaughton?
LopenUupunut

Postby DoubleRBar » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Very well done, LopenUupunut, it is Duncan McNaughton, winner of the high jump in Los Angeles over 80 years ago (81 years this coming July). Of course you know that Duncan was from Canada and not many people knew about him at the Los Angeles Olympics in 1932, but he came away with the gold medal.

Happy birthday today to Duncan McNaughton and congratulations to LopenUupunut.
DoubleRBar

Postby tandfman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:55 pm

I think I've said this before, but it doesn't seem quite right to say "happy birthday" to a guy who has been dead for 25 years.
tandfman