Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Rudisha loses...Eaton AOY?? [or Merritt?!]

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:46 pm

gh wrote:but put more seriously: we discovered that within about a dozen races, all the other major contenders turned out to be beatable. I posit that no matter how many decathlons you had Eaton contest this year, he could not be beaten, plain and simple. His margin for error is that huge at this point.

Since he is a multi guy, I think his other real competition was an Indoor Hept WR where he destroyed the field by about 10%, and that is pretty damn hard to do in the multis, modest competition or not.
26mi235

Postby gh » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

As noted earlier, in the context of the T&FN vote, the heptathlon mark is not a consideration. It doesn't exist in that particular universe.
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:34 pm

Yet, because the Decathlon athlete is so limited, hitting that homer does fill out the year, which some have carped does not have enough entries.
26mi235

Postby bushop » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:38 pm

mump boy wrote:
26mi235 wrote:mump,... you might recognize how hard it is to race distances, especially the 5k/10k double.
Imagine if Renauld or Ivan had the chance to compete in 2 different types of PV or HJ do they suddenly get double the kudos... ?

... or if they also awarded medals for the 1.75kg discus, 8kg hammer, 3m long javelin or 6kg shot put.
bushop

Postby gh » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:13 pm

T&FN's balloting has opened. Here's how one member/regular poster voted (no, we don't anticipate all votes being public), starting w/ Merritt

http://tracksuperfan.com/my-votes-for-a ... f-the-year
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:14 am

I would be hard-pressed to think of another voter to add that would be better than the one you selected. His explanations give a quick demonstration of why that is the case.
26mi235

Postby gh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:38 pm

well, except that he got it wrong! :mrgreen:
gh

Postby mump boy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:48 pm

If i'd been able to post all day i was going to say that Kristian Pars has been overlooked so far, he would be my No 6
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:13 pm

gh wrote:T&FN's balloting has opened. Here's how one member/regular poster voted (no, we don't anticipate all votes being public), starting w/ Merritt

http://tracksuperfan.com/my-votes-for-a ... f-the-year

3. Ashton Eaton (USA/decathlon)
It’s a tough year when an Olympic champion goes undefeated, breaks a world record, and only ranks third. Had Eaton not shut it down after the Olympics and done one more meet, I would have considered him for #1. But as it is, the two above him put together seasons that were just too strong to beat.

THIS ^
mump boy

Postby Dave » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:27 pm

mump boy wrote:
26mi235 wrote:The Olympics are about winning. The 10,000 is about competing and in case you did not notice there were not a heck of a lot of fast races this year, and he showed last year that he could win a fast race was well as kick hard. What he had to show this year was that he could complete the double that he did not quite pull off last year. He did absolutely everything that was on the agenda. Sprinters get to run a gazillion races, not those doing 5/10 doubles. When, by the way did you become a marks snob for distance races?

[That is too much; I understand your position, but I think you make far too much of minor non-faults. Too bad none of those others went undefeated in their double attempts.]

I want a full competitive season, running fast against the best, not set up, poor quality, slow, non events which constituted his season outside of OG

By this definition, Eaton has a somewhat stronger case. Limited, though very strong competition left him undefeated, Olympic champion, with a WR. Too bad we can't count indoors.
Dave

Postby gh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:50 pm

I'm thrilled by the way (personally, not from an "official" T&FN stance) to see superfan put Pars into his top 5. Nice to see somebody who understands how field events work.

Having said that, Harting (who was my AOY last year, as he was for 5 other insightful voters) remains as best in that category for me. Undefeated says tons to me.
gh

Postby mump boy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:52 am

gh wrote:I'm thrilled by the way (personally, not from an "official" T&FN stance) to see superfan put Pars into his top 5. Nice to see somebody who understands how field events work.

Having said that, Harting (who was my AOY last year, as he was for 5 other insightful voters) remains as best in that category for me. Undefeated says tons to me.

Harting will be my 5 (possibly 4) my major struggle is whether to knock out a gold medallist to include Yohan :?
mump boy

Postby tandfman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:24 am

Yohan would certainly be somewhere in my top 10, and since there were more than 10 gold medalists, yes, I'd knock out more than one of them. (Actually, there are 22 individual events, so any top 10 must knock out a majority of the gold medalists.)

As for #1, I'm inclined to agree with gh. I don't see how you can fault Eaton. I might, under some circumstances, hold it against an uninjured athlete if he/she shut down his season after the Games, with plenty of Diamond League and other meets left. But in Eaton's case, there's no reason in the world why anyone would expect him to have competed again. He had a perfect season and, as gh pointed out, the other leading candidates did not.
tandfman

Postby mump boy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:46 am

tandfman wrote:Yohan would certainly be somewhere in my top 10, and since there were more than 10 gold medalists, yes, I'd knock out more than one of them. (Actually, there are 22 individual events, so any top 10 must knock out a majority of the gold medalists.)

As for #1, I'm inclined to agree with gh. I don't see how you can fault Eaton. I might, under some circumstances, hold it against an uninjured athlete if he/she shut down his season after the Games, with plenty of Diamond League and other meets left. But in Eaton's case, there's no reason in the world why anyone would expect him to have competed again. He had a perfect season and, as gh pointed out, the other leading candidates did not.

To win the IAAF Combined Events Challenge you have to have compete in 3 events. I see no problem with that being the base line for a complete season (and $30,000)

If we are awarding top marks for people who are unbeaten, why is no one even mentioning Cakir and her flawless 3 race season ? :?
mump boy

Postby tandfman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:19 am

mump boy wrote:To win the IAAF Combined Events Challenge you have to have compete in 3 events. I see no problem with that being the base line for a complete season (and $30,000)

It would have made no sense at all for him to leave his training base and do any of the pre-Trials events in the CE Challenge. And do you really think he had any motivation to stay in training another month+ to compete in compete in Talence in September? $30,000 would have been plenty of motivation for you and me, but fortunately for him, that's now almost pocket change.
tandfman

Postby mump boy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:05 am

tandfman wrote:
mump boy wrote:To win the IAAF Combined Events Challenge you have to have compete in 3 events. I see no problem with that being the base line for a complete season (and $30,000)

It would have made no sense at all for him to leave his training base and do any of the pre-Trials events in the CE Challenge. And do you really think he had any motivation to stay in training another month+ to compete in compete in Talence in September? $30,000 would have been plenty of motivation for you and me, but fortunately for him, that's now almost pocket change.

Obviously AOY doesn't mean anything to him either

I thought US athletes were penniless because they couldn't tweet about sponsors for 3 weeks around the OG :?
mump boy

Postby bushop » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:25 am

mump boy wrote:I thought US athletes were penniless because they couldn't tweet about sponsors for 3 weeks around the OG :?

Some are.
bushop

Postby gh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:36 am

tandfman wrote:

I agree that "having" to compete one more time is ridiculous, to be sure. Having said that, he could have not trained a day post-London, wandered over to Talence and still won handily. Of this I'm 100% certain. Just another reason he gets my AOY vote. I think (I'm not pushed to the wire yet, and voting for these things is a decision of biblical proportions!).
gh

Postby mump boy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:51 am

gh wrote:
tandfman wrote:

I agree that "having" to compete one more time is ridiculous, to be sure. Having said that, he could have not trained a day post-London, wandered over to Talence and still won handily. Of this I'm 100% certain. Just another reason he gets my AOY vote. I think (I'm not pushed to the wire yet, and voting for these things is a decision of biblical proportions!).

He gets your vote because he 'could' have done something ??

He 'could' have gone to Talence, no heighted in the PV or got injured and not finished
mump boy

Postby gh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:39 pm

yes, Eaton could have gone to Talence and no-heighted in the PV, but he's in the position as a decathlete (I realize an "unfair" advantage) that if simply finishing the season undefeaated and winning another meet was the object, that simply wouldn't happen. He's that much better than everybody else, plain and simple.

I've never been one to punish people for "injury defeats."

(bottom line being that this is all very subjective, of course, and you can see which way my tendencies lean)
gh

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:39 pm

mump boy wrote:
tandfman wrote:Yohan would certainly be somewhere in my top 10, and since there were more than 10 gold medalists, yes, I'd knock out more than one of them. (Actually, there are 22 individual events, so any top 10 must knock out a majority of the gold medalists.)

To win the IAAF Combined Events Challenge you have to have compete in 3 events. I see no problem with that being the base line for a complete season (and $30,000)

If we are awarding top marks for people who are unbeaten, why is no one even mentioning Cakir and her flawless 3 race season ? :?

He did three multis, two were WRs (I know that indoors 'does not count' but in the context of a multi-athlete it is not irrelevant to use to fill in what is otherwise a slightly short season), the other Olympic Gold, which would also have been an OR except that he got a bit injured at the end. Thus, the 'ending season a bit early because of injury' situation applies (and it certainly applies most to decathletes as they have to do ten events, not just one). Add to that that his three multis were complete blowouts and the two decas were, in one case, against the best in the world at the peak meet, and the other was against the reigning World Champ and eventual second placer.

As for Blake, he has to be behind Rudisha, Eaton, Merritt, Bolt, Pars, Harting, Farah [not necessarily in that exact order], and other possibles include PV, TJ, 400, SC, so he is good but might not even Top 10.
26mi235

Postby mump boy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:11 pm

26mi235 wrote:
mump boy wrote:

He did three multis, two were WRs (I know that indoors 'does not count' but in the context of a multi-athlete it is not irrelevant to use to fill in what is otherwise a slightly short season), the other Olympic Gold, which would also have been an OR except that he got a bit injured at the end. Thus, the 'ending season a bit early because of injury' situation applies (and it certainly applies most to decathletes as they have to do ten events, not just one). Add to that that his three multis were complete blowouts and the two decas were, in one case, against the best in the world at the peak meet, and the other was against the reigning World Champ and eventual second placer.

As for Blake, he has to be behind Rudisha, Eaton, Merritt, Bolt, Pars, Harting, Farah [not necessarily in that exact order], and other possibles include PV, TJ, 400, SC, so he is good but might not even Top 10.

Indoors is TOTALLY irrelevant to the discussion in hand and must not be considered when choosing AOY. As is what he 'could' have done at the OG

People have to be judged on what they DID do, not shoulda, coulda, woulda

Aries 'could' have gone the whole season undefeated if he hadn't lost !! as could David if he's chosen not to run in the rain. I think we all agree that he 'could' also have gone a whole lot faster in a DL race with good pacemaking instead of in in OG final in his 3rd day of racing and all by himself

THESE THINGS ARE TOTALLY IRRELEVANT

Ashton was amazing this year but at the end of the day he only has to competitions two show for it. While he was totally dominant his WR was only by 13 points (i know the weather as awful etc etc) and the least impressive of those set this year
mump boy

Postby dbirds » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:29 pm

how many elite decathletes compete more than twice? Not a lot so what's the big deal?

To me, the heptathlon may not officially count (I sure as heck dont know why) but it's like the statement that was struck in court. It's out there and you know it. Some jurors/voters may be able to overlook it but not all.

If Eaton doesnt win this just go ahead and say a decathlete will never ever win AOY again!
dbirds

Postby Flumpy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:46 pm

But that would be ridiculous. Of course a decathlete can win it again, just not against such strong opposition.

Had Rudisha and Merit not had such sterling seasons then Eaton would have it in the bag, but they did, so he doesn't.
Flumpy

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Flumpy wrote:But that would be ridiculous. Of course a decathlete can win it again, just not against such strong opposition.

Had Rudisha and Merit not had such sterling seasons then Eaton would have it in the bag, but they did, so he doesn't.

Exactly. Eaton might just have the luck on Jonathan Edwards back in '95. Look up Edwards' resume for that season (3 x WR, undefeated, WC gold) and you'd probably be surprised to learn he didn't win AOY.
Grasshopper

Postby dbirds » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:06 am

well, Edwards got screwed them. At worse, he should have shared the award.
dbirds

Postby gh » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:25 am

Here's my one and only clue on how the voting is going (aka cloooose): from the first 23 ballots through the door Eaton has 7 No. 1s, Merritt has 6 and Rudisha & Bolt have 5s.
gh

Postby Daisy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:49 am

You have to love a season with four serious contenders.
Daisy

Postby gh » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:19 pm

dbirds wrote:well, Edwards got screwed them. At worse, he should have shared the award.

As one who voted for Edwards I agree he got screwed (even though Geb had a stunning WR-full season of his own).

Having said that, the farther you go back, to an era when WRs were "common," you can find all kinds of people with seasons that looked at alone would seem to be of AOY caliber, but in the end there can be only one.
gh

Postby jb » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 pm

I agree that Edwards deserved AOY in 1995, and certainly with hindsight his marks seem more remarkable then Geb's. That said, 1995 was an unusually deep year. I doubt there's been a year in the last several decades with so many strong contenders. The top five in the voting were as follows:

1. Haile Gebrselassie
3000 - 1st GP Final
Two Miles - 8:07.46
5000 - 12:44.39 WR (previous WR was 12:55.30, lowering of record by 10.91 seconds was the most since Lauri Lehtinen's 14:17.0 in 1932), also 12:53.19
10K - 26:43.53 WR (previous WR 26:52.23, lowering of record by 8.70 seconds was the largest margin since Ron Clarke's 27:39.4 in 1965), also WC gold medal

2. Jonathan Edwards
undefeated in 14 meets, including WC
WR entering the season was 17.98
jumped 18.43w (+2.4) on 6/25, 18.03w (+2.9) on 7/2, 17.98 WR on 7.18, 18.08w (+2.5) on 7/23, 18.16 and 18.29 on 8/7 (1st two jumps of WC Final), 18.00 on 8/27

3. Michael Johnson
1st ever to win 200/400 double at WC
undefeated in 15 races (8 200s, 7 400s)
200 - 19.79 (WR was 19.72A), WC gold
400 - 43.39 (#2 all-time, WR was 43.29), 43.66, 43.86, 43.88, WC gold

4. Noureddine Morceli
undefeated in 14 races (1 1000, 7 1500s, 3 Miles, 1 2000, 2 3000s)
1000 - 2:15.55
1500 - 3:27.37 WR (previous WR 3:28.86), 3:27.52, WC gold
Mile - 3:45.19 (#2 all-time)
2000 - 4:47.88 WR
3000 - 7:27.50

5. Moses Kiptanui
3000 - 7:27.18, 7:35.15iWR
Steeple - 7:59.18 WR (1st sub-8), 7:59.52, 8:02.45, 8:03.36, 8:04.16, WC gold
5000 - 12:55.30 WR
jb

Postby Dave » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:16 pm

jb wrote:I agree that Edwards deserved AOY in 1995, and certainly with hindsight his marks seem more remarkable then Geb's. That said, 1995 was an unusually deep year. I doubt there's been a year in the last several decades with so many strong contenders. The top five in the voting were as follows:

1. Haile Gebrselassie
3000 - 1st GP Final
Two Miles - 8:07.46
5000 - 12:44.39 WR (previous WR was 12:55.30, lowering of record by 10.91 seconds was the most since Lauri Lehtinen's 14:17.0 in 1932), also 12:53.19
10K - 26:43.53 WR (previous WR 26:52.23, lowering of record by 8.70 seconds was the largest margin since Ron Clarke's 27:39.4 in 1965), also WC gold medal

2. Jonathan Edwards
undefeated in 14 meets, including WC
WR entering the season was 17.98
jumped 18.43w (+2.4) on 6/25, 18.03w (+2.9) on 7/2, 17.98 WR on 7.18, 18.08w (+2.5) on 7/23, 18.16 and 18.29 on 8/7 (1st two jumps of WC Final), 18.00 on 8/27

3. Michael Johnson
1st ever to win 200/400 double at WC
undefeated in 15 races (8 200s, 7 400s)
200 - 19.79 (WR was 19.72A), WC gold
400 - 43.39 (#2 all-time, WR was 43.29), 43.66, 43.86, 43.88, WC gold

4. Noureddine Morceli
undefeated in 14 races (1 1000, 7 1500s, 3 Miles, 1 2000, 2 3000s)
1000 - 2:15.55
1500 - 3:27.37 WR (previous WR 3:28.86), 3:27.52, WC gold
Mile - 3:45.19 (#2 all-time)
2000 - 4:47.88 WR
3000 - 7:27.50

5. Moses Kiptanui
3000 - 7:27.18, 7:35.15iWR
Steeple - 7:59.18 WR (1st sub-8), 7:59.52, 8:02.45, 8:03.36, 8:04.16, WC gold
5000 - 12:55.30 WR

Most of these guys would have had a reasonable claim to "athlete of the decade" in other decades.
Dave

Postby gh » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:13 pm

don't know if '72 is in jb's "last couple of decades" timeframe, but that year has always stuck for me. Rod Milburn equals the World Record to win Olympic gold and loses only one race all year.... and rates No. 9!
gh

Postby dbirds » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:33 am

I am predicting Eaton will get the most first place votes but will get shafted by the voters and not get near as many 2nd and 3rd place votes and he will end up 3rd or 4th overall. I hope I'm wrong but I just feel too many voters discriminate vs multi eventers. Hope I'm wrong but that's my prediction.
dbirds

Postby aaronk » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:52 pm

With about 2 weeks to go until we SEE the cover of the AOY issue, here's my FINAL picks for the World Top Ten:

1. Aries Merritt (The WR does it! Add the Gold, the streak, and the times, and he's #1.)
2. Ashton Eaton (Just squeaks by Rudisha! If he'd gotten the OR, he MIGHT have challenged Merritt!!)
3. David Rudisha (ANY other year, an EASY #1!! And a WR and a Gold in the same race.....!!)
4. Mo Farah (Gets 4th just on burst eardrums alone!! Two Golds in his HOME OG...!)
5. Usain Bolt (Loses to Mo by a thread!! Despite no WR's (except as relayer), coulda been #1 in most other years!!)
6. Kris Pars (Consistent, OG Gold, and great marks.)
7. Kirani James (Gold, fastest time, and 1st sub-44 in a few years.)
8. Ivan Ukhov (Premier HJ'er of 2012, in a year of some other pretty fair jumpers!!)
9. Yohan Blake (Erase Bolt, and Blake is #5 this year!! But 9.75 and 19.44...??)
10. Jason Richardson (As Blake was to Bolt, Richardson was to Merritt!!)
aaronk

Postby Flumpy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:16 pm

No Top 5 without Robert Harting makes any sense (My #4) and Lavillinie needs to be in the Top 10 somehwhere.

Farah is also WAY too high. My #8.
Flumpy

Postby gm » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Flumpy wrote:No Top 5 without Robert Harting makes any sense (My #4) and Lavillinie needs to be in the Top 10 somehwhere.

Farah is also WAY too high. My #8.

Have you been reading my ballot? :lol:
gm

Postby Tuariki » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:19 am

aaronk wrote:With about 2 weeks to go until we SEE the cover of the AOY issue, here's my FINAL picks for the World Top Ten:

1. Aries Merritt (The WR does it! Add the Gold, the streak, and the times, and he's #1.)
2. Ashton Eaton (Just squeaks by Rudisha! If he'd gotten the OR, he MIGHT have challenged Merritt!!)
3. David Rudisha (ANY other year, an EASY #1!! And a WR and a Gold in the same race.....!!)
4. Mo Farah (Gets 4th just on burst eardrums alone!! Two Golds in his HOME OG...!)
5. Usain Bolt (Loses to Mo by a thread!! Despite no WR's (except as relayer), coulda been #1 in most other years!!)
6. Kris Pars (Consistent, OG Gold, and great marks.)
7. Kirani James (Gold, fastest time, and 1st sub-44 in a few years.)
8. Ivan Ukhov (Premier HJ'er of 2012, in a year of some other pretty fair jumpers!!)
9. Yohan Blake (Erase Bolt, and Blake is #5 this year!! But 9.75 and 19.44...??)
10. Jason Richardson (As Blake was to Bolt, Richardson was to Merritt!!)

James, Ukhov, Blake and Richardson lost more than once. Harding undefeated.
Tuariki

Postby mump boy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:33 am

Jason Richardson only won 3 times and lost 10 !!

Yohan Blake ran some of the fastest races of all time and had the misfortune to come up against Bolt, Jason Richardson didn't nothing like that :?

I also think Mo is WAY too high, how does he get above Bolt who also won 2 gold medals but also ran FAST. Mo did practically nothing outside of London

I'll post my choices later today so everyone can have a go at me as well :D
mump boy

Postby aaronk » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:26 am

mump boy wrote:Jason Richardson only won 3 times and lost 10 !!

Yohan Blake ran some of the fastest races of all time and had the misfortune to come up against Bolt, Jason Richardson didn't nothing like that :?

I also think Mo is WAY too high, how does he get above Bolt who also won 2 gold medals but also ran FAST. Mo did practically nothing outside of London

I'll post my choices later today so everyone can have a go at me as well :D

Right or wrong, I gave "home court" points to both Farah and Ennis (see my women's AOY picks).
Yes, Bolt was better, but he's not from GB!!
Bottom line: these are our personal picks!!
aaronk

Postby Flumpy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:32 am

aaronk wrote:
mump boy wrote:Yes, Bolt was better, but he's not from GB!!

HUH???
Flumpy

PreviousNext