2012 College Football

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: 2012 College Football

Postby Marlow » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:19 pm

Pego wrote:
Marlow wrote:(though Whitney Houston DID do it justice http://youtu.be/xS-R7SM_-M4 )

I respectfully disagree.

I understand. The intent of the song is not to see how many musical fireworks you can set off; it's just that I think her voice supported the 'meaning'. I've lost track of how many times hearing it has made me cry and it's usually at the most random times. I was sitting in a little movie theater on a Navy base in Sigonella, Sicily, and the song came on with a picture of a flag waving. Everyone (mostly Navy Sailors) got up and sang along in very low voices. I was a wreck.
Marlow

Postby Pego » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:57 pm

You will agree that the Badgers looked pretty good in the first half :wink: .
Pego

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:20 pm

63-17[24] with 13 [now 12] minutes left, Nebraska's ball, but I suspect that Wisconsin should be able to run the ball enough to get a first down or two, so the question is, can Nebraska recover five straight on-side kicks.

This game should go back into the T&F side, as it has been a track meet on the scale of Oregon so far (200 yards rushing for N, 450 for W).
26mi235

Postby lonewolf » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Pego wrote:[Combined Nebraska and Wisconsin marching bands just finished the national anthem. It was the way it should be, not the intolerable shrieks of pop "stars" as we are so often subjected to.

I'm with Pego on this. .."celebrities" and "artists" have no place at sporting events... unless they are varsity lettermen/women at one of the institutions.
The greatest spectacle in half time entertainment is the Texas A&M Marching Band...did you ever notice, friend or foe, no one goes to the concession stand or restroom at half time of an Aggie game?
lonewolf

Postby lonewolf » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:53 pm

I am not a football "expert" but after watching Alabama/Georgia does anyone think Notre Dame belongs on the field with either of them?
lonewolf

Postby j-a-m » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:32 am

lonewolf wrote:I am not a football "expert" but after watching Alabama/Georgia does anyone think Notre Dame belongs on the field with either of them?

Bama is gonna win that game nine times out of ten. I'd still like to see the best team from outside the SEC play the best SEC team for the title, even though there are probably six teams in the SEC that are better than ND.
j-a-m

Postby Pego » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:25 am

Hey, all of you Stanford/Bay area bums, the cheeseheads here are itching for a fight :twisted: . Let the trash talk commence 8-) .
Pego

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:59 am

lonewolf wrote:I am not a football "expert" but after watching Alabama/Georgia does anyone think Notre Dame belongs on the field with either of them?

:?

Are you suggesting that Notre Dame isn't in the same class as Georgia and Alabama or vice versa? I still remember when some folks on this board thought Oregon was invincible.

Georgia - They lost to South Carolina and Alabama, two of the three decent teams they played, because they couldn't stop the run, and they needed six turnovers to beat Florida, the other decent they played. Notre Dame has arguably the best run defense in the nation and their front seven is second to none.

Alabama - Their aura of invincibility was busted against LSU, Texas A&M and Georgia. Texas A&M beat them and they needed to be saved by the bell survive against LSU and Georgia. Even Nick Saban admitted that they got outplayed against LSU, and after yestereday's game he seemed like a person who had just survived a near-death experience.

Notre Dame - As mentioned earlier, they're built to stop the one thing that Alabama does best: stop the run. They held eight of their 12 opponents to their lowest score of the season, and freshman Everett Golson has gotten better with every game.

Here are my two questions:

1) How many times will ESPN show iconic black and white photos and videos of Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant between now and January 7?

2) What would you set the over-and-under at?

My answers: 1) 107, 2) 25
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:10 am

j-a-m wrote: there are probably six teams in the SEC that are better than ND.

:lol:

Come on man.
jazzcyclist

Postby gh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:09 am

Pego wrote:Hey, all of you Stanford/Bay area bums, the cheeseheads here are itching for a fight :twisted: . Let the trash talk commence 8-) .

you mean nerd nation vs. the only 5-loss team in Rose Bowl history?
gh

Postby Marlow » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:54 pm

gh wrote:you mean nerd nation?

OK, but check our W-2s (well, except mine . . . ) :D
Out Google residual checks alone could buy and sell that state six times over!!

Yes, and please refer to to Skov and Tarpley as Mr. Nerd. :twisted:
Marlow

Postby Pego » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:19 pm

gh wrote:
Pego wrote:Hey, all of you Stanford/Bay area bums, the cheeseheads here are itching for a fight :twisted: . Let the trash talk commence 8-) .

you mean nerd nation vs. the only 5-loss team in Rose Bowl history?

Exactly. Almost every time Wisconsin goes to Rose Bowl we hear that they don't belong. We shall see :wink: .
Pego

Postby guru » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:32 pm

What the hell is wrong with Louisiana Tech's athletic director? Football program completes turnaround in going 9-3, he declines bowl invitation.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1430 ... 9-3-season

Players, needless to say, are a tad miffed

https://twitter.com/Jdb51me
guru

Postby gh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:00 pm

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:you mean nerd nation?

OK, but check our W-2s (well, except mine . . . ) :D
Out Google residual checks alone could buy and sell that state six times over!!

Yes, and please refer to to Skov and Tarpley as Mr. Nerd. :twisted:

you've obviously not kept up w/ your alma mater (by Twitter at least). That's a badge of honor.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23nerdnation
gh

Postby Marlow » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:13 pm

gh wrote:you've obviously not kept up w/ your alma mater (by Twitter at least). That's a badge of honor. https://twitter.com/search?q=%23nerdnation

Had not seen that - love it!
But . . . it was Nerd Central back when I went there too.
On the other hand, our entire Athletics Program finishes first nationally every year too, so you better refer to us as Jock Nation too! :D
Marlow

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:31 pm

My wife's employer school plays her alma mater ('74, so overlaps barely with Marlow)--- and she could hardly care less.
26mi235

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:32 pm

My wife's employer school plays her alma mater ('74, so overlaps barely with Marlow)--- and she could hardly care less.

As for Wisconsin, if they had scored seven more points they would almost be playing ND.
26mi235

Postby gh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:42 pm

And if Stanford hadn't gotten a blown call against Notre Dame to end their game.....
gh

Postby Blues » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:58 am

guru wrote:What the hell is wrong with Louisiana Tech's athletic director? Football program completes turnaround in going 9-3, he declines bowl invitation.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1430 ... 9-3-season

Players, needless to say, are a tad miffed

https://twitter.com/Jdb51me

Some of the media seems to be distorting the issue a little.. This situation was a tough one and was part of the fallout from Northern Illinois getting the Orange Bowl bid...

Louisiana Tech asked the Independence Bowl officials for more time to make a decision, because they were hoping for a berth in the higher paying Liberty Bowl, which they thought they had a good shot at getting. When Northern Illinois got the Orange Bowl berth however, it knocked Oklahoma out of the BCS, and the rest of the Big 12 teams slid as well, and Iowa State became eligible for the Liberty Bowl when they were knocked out of the Heart of Dallas Bowl by higher ranked Big 12 team Oklahoma State. The Liberty Bowl then decided to select Iowa State over Louisiana Tech. Since the Independence Bowl didn't want to risk losing out on a decent replacement by waiting any longer for Louisiana Tech's answer, they finally selected Ohio. When La Tech finally found out that they didn't get the Liberty Bowl berth, it was too late to accept the Independence Bowl bid.

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-fo ... um=twitter

It's evidently true that the schools and athletic administrators of La Tech and La Monroe aren't fond of each other, but that isn't the reason for Louisiana Tech's absence from the Independence Bowl game. From SBnation:

"While being interviewed for a story in September, Staub (ULM AD) acknowledged a current stalemate between the two programs -- after Louisiana Tech refused to play the Warhawks (formerly Indians) in football, ULM prohibited all of its scholarship sports from scheduling the Bulldogs."

http://www.sbnation.com/bowl-games-2012 ... -bowl-2012
Blues

Postby j-a-m » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:35 am

Blues wrote: Some of the media seems to be distorting the issue a little.. This situation was a tough one and was part of the fallout from Northern Illinois getting the Orange Bowl bid...

Apparently Louisiana Tech had time to accept the offer until Saturday afternoon, at which time Northern Illinois playing in a BCS bowl was the likely scenario.

Northern Illinois playing in a BCS bowl is no suprise. Coming into this weekend, the chance of the MAC champ making a BCS game was close to 50%, and after the UCLA loss on Friday it was about 70%.
j-a-m

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:38 am

j-a-m wrote:
Blues wrote: Some of the media seems to be distorting the issue a little.. This situation was a tough one and was part of the fallout from Northern Illinois getting the Orange Bowl bid...

Apparently Louisiana Tech had time to accept the offer until Saturday afternoon, at which time Northern Illinois playing in a BCS bowl was the likely scenario.

Northern Illinois playing in a BCS bowl is no suprise. Coming into this weekend, the chance of the MAC champ making a BCS game was close to 50%, and after the UCLA loss on Friday it was about 70%.

Once again Brad Edwards got it wrong as he predicted Kent State to get in the BCS if they won, but not Northern Illinois if the won. Because of this, on Saturday, he had Oklahoma going to the BCS.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:16 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Once again Brad Edwards got it wrong as he predicted . . .

Well . . .

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:Georgia maybe. No way Florida is jumping over Bama if Bama wins.

I don't know why you would say this. The computers don't know what name is on the jerseys, and like Georgia, Alabama has had only one signature win all season.

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:Yet they are both ahead of Florida right now. Whichever team wins will have it's "signature" win anyway and there's next to no chance Alabama gets passed.

I give up. Some people just don't understand simple math. :(
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:26 am

Marlow wrote:Well . . .

Well what? I stand by my previous posts. As you can see, the Alabama's win over Georgia had no effect on Florida's #2 ranking in the computer rankings, but there was never any way for Florida to get into the championship game as long as the voters had them ranked behind Oregon. Florida would have needed to be a strong #3 in the final human polls to jump over Alabama. I said that after the polls came out last week.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:03 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Marlow wrote:Well . . .

Well what? I stand by my previous posts. As you can see, the Alabama's win over Georgia had no effect on Florida's #2 ranking in the computer rankings, but there was never any way for Florida to get into the championship game as long as the voters had them ranked behind Oregon. Florida would have needed to be a strong #3 in the final human polls to jump over Alabama. I said that after the polls came out last week.

Ah, nice spin move. :wink:
Marlow

Postby preston » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:37 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Are you suggesting that Notre Dame isn't in the same class as Georgia and Alabama or vice versa? I still remember when some folks on this board thought Oregon was invincible.

Georgia - They lost to South Carolina and Alabama, two of the three decent teams they played, because they couldn't stop the run, and they needed six turnovers to beat Florida, the other decent they played. Notre Dame has arguably the best run defense in the nation and their front seven is second to none. Nearly every team in the SEC has some of the best running backs in college football and they do it all the while playing against the best run defenses in college football but some how you think there is a way to make 'that team' comparable? Apples to apples :? .

Alabama - Their aura of invincibility was busted against LSU, Texas A&M and Georgia. Texas A&M beat them and they needed to be saved by the bell survive against LSU and Georgia. Even Nick Saban admitted that they got outplayed against LSU, and after yestereday's game he seemed like a person who had just survived a near-death experience. Alabama's "aura of invicibility was burst by LSU, TXA&M and GA but 'that school's' was enhanced by playing Purdue within 3? Barely winning against MI? Nearly losing to BYU? Stanford getting cheated? Playing PITT to 3 OT's? And barely beating a BAD OK and USC team? The only positive for Alabama's BCS foe is that they have yet to lose this season. YET!!!

Notre Dame - As mentioned earlier, they're built to stop the one thing that Alabama does best: stop the run. They held eight of their 12 opponents to their lowest score of the season, and freshman Everett Golson has gotten better with every game. (Navy scored 10 on 'em and could only score 7 on Penn St and a field goal against San Jose st; Purdue scored 17 and played within 3 on 'em yet could only score 13 against MI 14 against WI and 9 against Penn St - losing by at least 24 points in those outings; BYU lost by 3 after scoring 2 touchdowns a week after BYU were blown out by Oregon St 42-24, they lost by 6 after two touchdowns to San Jose St; OK gave up 30 points to nearly half of their schedule; Pitt: lost to Youngstown St by two touchdowns; Lost to CIncy by 24; Lost to Syracuse by 1; lost to Louisville by 10; lost to UCONN by 7; and took 'that school' to 3 OT's :? ; Boston College: of the 10 games that BC lost only one school managed NOT TO score more than 21 points...yup, 'that school'; Wake: was beaten far worse by FSU and Vandy)

Here are my two questions:

1) How many times will ESPN show iconic black and white photos and videos of Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant between now and January 7?

2) What would you set the over-and-under at?

My answers: 1) 107, 2) 25
preston

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:00 am

Marlow wrote:Ah, nice spin move. :wink:

Go back and reread my post. There's no spin or contradiction on my part. By the way, aren't you an English major?
:wink:
jazzcyclist

Postby Pego » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:05 am

Vegas opening line is Bama -9 1/2.
Pego

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:26 pm

What does a non-football school do when it gets a BSC berth? Give away the tickets.
Northern Illinois, which became the first MAC school to earn a BCS bowl berth, has announced it will offer free Orange Bowl tickets to students who can get to Miami for the Jan. 1 game against Florida State.

Although offering one free ticket per student likely will lead to Northern Illinois losing money on its BCS berth, the school is willing to absorb that cost. The Huskies have been provided 17,500 tickets.

"We consider athletics to be an important part of the university for (the students)," Northern Illinois media relations associate athletic director Donna Turner said Monday. "If it gives them a good feeling about themselves, Northern Illinois and our athletic programs, that's an investment that's well worth it. When you talk about the big picture, that's more important than whatever the cost is in the short term."

It's uncertain how rare this gesture is, but representatives of two schools that are no strangers to bowls said they were unaware of this being a common practice.

"It'd be a great way to attract students, no question," Orange Bowl communications and community outreach vice president Larry Wahl said. "If you're incurring the cost of the tickets to where the cost is just transportation and housing and meals, that certainly would help."

Turner said they opened the ticket office early Monday and approximately 500 students reserved tickets.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/college-foot ... wl-tickets

UConn lost a fortune when they got a BCS bid two years ago and couldn't get their fans to make the trip.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:30 am

Once again Bob Stoops defends his title as the biggest hack in college football.
Northern Illinois ended up getting a bid to the Orange Bowl on Sunday night despite the efforts of four Big 12 Conference's representatives in the USA TODAY Sports Coaches Poll who did everything they could to help conference-member Oklahoma's position in the final Bowl Championship Series standings.

Among the 59 voters in the coaches poll, Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, Baylor's Art Briles, Iowa State's Paul Rhoads and West Virginia's Dana Holgorsen all either voted the Sooners No. 6 and/or the Mid-American Conference champion Huskies No. 24 in Sunday's final regular-season balloting. Stoops did both.

No other voter had Oklahoma higher than eighth, and only one, Michigan State's Mark Dantonio, had the Sooners that high .

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... s/1740711/

Overall, the Big 12 coaches seemed to be the most hackish of the bunch, while the MAC coaches were notably impartial. Also notable, five of the six SEC coaches voted Notre Dame #1, including Nick Saban. However, Vanderbilt's James Franklin seems like he may be looking to dethrone Stoops for the hack award in future years.

The MAC's six voters — including Northern Illinois' Dave Doeren — cast their ballots in a way that was not as helpful to the Huskies as the Big 12's votes were to the Sooners.

Doeren, Akron's Terry Bowden, Ball State's Pete Lembo, Kent State's Darrell Hazell, Ohio's Frank Solich and Toledo's Matt Campbell all had Oklahoma at No. 10 or No. 11. (Bowden and Lembo had OU 10th.)

Doeren, Bowden and Campbell had the Huskies 14th; Solich had them 15th; Hazell 17th and Lembo 21st. . . . . .

Among the Big 12 voters other than Stoops and Tuberville, the voting went as follows: Briles had Oklahoma sixth and Northern Illinois 19th; Holgorsen had OU ninth and NIU 24th; Rhoads had OU sixth and NIU 20th.

Here's the interactive link to the final Coaches' Poll:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/c ... hes-poll12
jazzcyclist

Postby Pego » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Brett Bielema is leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas. I sure did not see that coming.
Pego

Postby KevinM » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Pego wrote:Brett Bielema is leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas. I sure did not see that coming.

Less job security, but a higher ceiling.

Would Northern Illinois's (and former Bielema assistant) Doeren have been a candidate had he not just accepted the NCSU job?
KevinM

Postby Pego » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:07 pm

KevinM wrote:
Pego wrote:Brett Bielema is leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas. I sure did not see that coming.

Less job security, but a higher ceiling.

Would Northern Illinois's (and former Bielema assistant) Doeren have been a candidate had he not just accepted the NCSU job?

I suspect that Alvarez might have the replacement in the works already.
Pego

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:26 pm

I don't understand this. He'll have a much harder time winning conference championships at Arkansas. and since Wisconsin has one of the top-ten football budgets in the conntry, there can't be that big a disparity in resources. This is a lateral move at best IMO.
jazzcyclist

Postby Pego » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:53 pm

A statement of Barry Alvarez on the Badger website.

"I was very surprised when Bret told me he was taking the offer from Arkansas. He did a great job for us during his seven years as head coach, both on the field and off. I want to thank him for his work and wish him the best at Arkansas.

"I have a responsibility to our student-athletes, our football family and our fans, one that I take very seriously. It is my responsibility to ensure that the football program continues at a high level, and I have already started the process of trying to find a new head coach.

"Along with finding a new coach, my other main objective is to make sure that our student-athletes, specifically our seniors playing in their final game as Badgers, have a tremendous experience in the Rose Bowl. We will do everything within our power to make that happen."
Pego

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:55 pm

Well, it might be related to that "5" in the W-L totals. Barry Alvarez had this statement (in part):

I was very surprised when Bret told me he was taking the offer from Arkansas. He did a great job for us during his seven years as head coach, both on the field and off. I want to thank him for his work and wish him the best at Arkansas.

"I have a responsibility to our student-athletes, our football family and our fans, one that I take very seriously. It is my responsibility to ensure that the football program continues at a high level, and I have already started the process of trying to find a new head coach.
26mi235

Postby DrJay » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:51 am

You know they've really screwed up the post-season when the 2012 College Football thread is languishing on page 3 of the forum on New Year's Day.
DrJay

Postby Marlow » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:06 am

There's exactly three games to watch:

Rose - today (probably only of interest to Pac-8/10/12/14/etc. or Big-10/12/14/etc. fans)
Fiesta - Thursday
BCS - Monday

Then there's some of train-wreck (David vs. Goliath) interest:

Orange - today
Sugar - tomorrow

and, of course, the

Johnny Football (Heisman) [Cotton] Bowl - Friday
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:00 am

I can't believe Northern Illinois' quarterback Jordan Lynch was foolish enough to trash-talk Florida State.
We plan on wearing them down. In the fourth quarter, we plan to have them on their knees — and then just keep pounding away.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... -to/nTh8J/

:?

If the Huskies do win, it won't be because they physically dominated Florida State, rather it will be becasue they played a perfect game, used every trick play in their playbook and executed them flawlessly and have all the stars aligned just right (eg. Bose State in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl).
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:20 pm

The Red Tree Farmers CRUSH/ANNIHILATE/DESTROY Wisconsin!!
:D
[OK, it was less than a TD, but still]
Marlow

Postby DoubleRBar » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:44 pm

I still think Stanford beat Notre Dame in Indiana.
DoubleRBar

PreviousNext