Let's discuss 2013 multi-event-Sara Gambetta moved to SP


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Let's discuss 2013 multi-event-Sara Gambetta moved to SP

Postby nianchengyu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:52 am

Let us discuss actively,what is the lastest news on multi-event,who will continue progress ,who will drop down in your mind,did the scores will grow or down and so on, :D
Last edited by nianchengyu on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:08 am, edited 7 times in total.
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby Gabriella » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:09 am

Re the heptathlon, these are the main questions for 2013 for me, based on the last couple of seasons and the upcoming champs in Russia:

1. Can Ennis build on her 2012 form and break 7000pts?
2. Will Chernnova get back to her best?
3. Is this the end for Dobrynska or can she return to the medals?
4. Is Oeser over her injuries?
5. Can any other Russians step up? Bolshova and Savitskaya?
6. Will the top juniors continue with their great progression - Ikauniece, Schippers, KJT
7. Will Schwarzkopf be at the same level?
8. Can Nana Djimou and Yosypenko – just outside medals – continue this form?
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby Gabriella » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:13 am

1. I think Jess will be over 6900 again, but 7000 I'm not so sure. One assumes that Chernova will come out fighting - she will be on home turf defending her title - so hopefully this will inspire Jess as well, but will she be on a downer after London?
2. Chernova has still only had one exemplary season; 2011. She was the only woman in the top 6 in London that did not end up with an overall heptathlon PB. We all know she has the ability to set a massive score, so defending her title at home may be the time to do it. And she has a BYE to qualify as defending champion.
3. Dobrynska is always an enigma. She started off in good form in London, but messed up her two strongest events, the SP and LJ :? The question is now psychological and whether she is mentally strong enough to carry on, especially with her personal circumstances. Judging by her 100h and HJ she was heading for over 6600 in London and would have been a medal challenger.
4. Oeser was doing ok in London despite her achilles injury, but DNF the 800m. Had she finished she would have been touching the top 10. Not her usual recent form but good considering her injury. I think she can get back to 6600 next season but I don’t think that will be enough to medal.
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby Gabriella » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:33 am

5. An interesting one for me. Chernova has a BYE so we will see another 3 Russians with her on the start line. Just like the w400m, Bolshova & Savitskaya left their best form behind them at the nationals. However, both still performed well setting some PBs & being at a level just below their best form. Bolshova is the better runner & overall more consistent jumper but Savitskaya is far superior in the throwing events so is more rounded & comes out with 200+ better PB. Savitskaya may not have been the medal challenger predicted but to finish in the top 8 in her first international champs was superb.

Ekaterina Bolshova
Cherboksary (6466) 13.53/ 1.91/ 13.58/ 24.17/ 6.45/ ?/ ?
Helsinki (6298) 13.66/ 1.86/ 12.36/ 24.32/ 6.30/ 40.47/ 2:10:10

-2 x PBs in Helsinki
-Needs to improve her throwing events - only 16th in the SP, over 1m down on her best
-JT needs a big improvement. All the top women can throw comfortably over 45m & most near 50m.

Kristina Savitskaya
London (6452) 13.37/ 1.83/ 14.77/ 24.46/ 6.21/ 43.70/ 2:12.27 Cherboksary (6681) 13.52/ 1.88/ 15.25/ 24.61/ 6.65/ 46.83/ 2:14.73

-3 PBs in London
-LJ way down on her best
-JT 3m down on her best & significantly lower than the other top women
-Would have had to be at her very best to medal

Anna Bogdanova was showing great form in 08/09 but then had a baby break, returned below form in 2011 & injured in 2012. She could in theory do a Scharwzkopf-type jump in 2013 & if she is just near her PB level she can do damage as some of her PBs are great – 100h – 13.09, HJ – 1.88, SP – 14.8, LJ – 6.5, 800m – sub 2:10

6. Ikauniece was superb in both Helsinki & London, PBing in both. She’s over 6400 pts to be one of the top younger athletes. Her weak event is the SP at just over 12m but this will improve with age & of course she has the 50+ JT. She has good sprint speed, but she needs to tidy up her hurdles and LJ – her 100mh doesn’t reflect her sprint speed and her LJ needs to be more consistent. Of course Latvia also has Grabuste, so this is a good rivalry for them. I will leave you to comment on Schippers, nianchengyu, but the Dutch woman set some good PBs in London, especially that great HJ, but unfortunately she tailed off on the second day.

7. Lilli’s injury in Talence will probably mean that is it for her at the 6600+ level & I feel she will be back down to being a 6400 athlete. Had she not got injured she may have been able to repeat it, but her running and jumping is mediocre at best, so I don’t see her as a medal threat again.

8. These two women were great in Helsinki & repeated that form in London. Overall they are strong but still have some weak events that can be improved. Like Skujyte, it was a shame to see them drop from medal contention because they couldn’t hang on in the 800m. Moscow could be similarly close so they really need to improve their endurance.
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby nianchengyu » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:02 pm

1.Dafne Schippers mainly got improvements in LJ and HJ,flying to 1.80m indeed a good thing,but how to deal with other events and treat her knee is critical.What is more,how to transfer indoor achievements to outdoors,how to enhance her SP and JV,even with hurdles and 800m,her speed is terrific and showed 8.18s,8.26s 60mH result this winter already,however,not obviously improvements even not stumble in london.Of course,that suggest she has larger room to go up.As for her sprint,I am confident she has chances to rise to a new level if staying fit.After all,her biggest problem for heptathlon is her knee trouble.As long as treating knees well,her future will be brillant.
13.43-1.73-13.82-22.73-6.49-40.41-2.18.66
13.48-1.80-13.67-22.83-6.28-36.61-2.15.52
2.Skujyte has a fantastic year but regretly no medals in london,unbeliveable she get HJ,SP "B"standard both.she set 1.92m HJ pb,17.31m HB,6.43w/2.3,6.34m pb,8.57s 60mH pb and 54.10m JVwhich I never notice before.As ages increasing,her speed is hard to breakthrough,I predict she can got around 6450p in 2013.
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby nianchengyu » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:11 pm

3.Sara Gambetta,nearly forgotten this year for injury,I do not know how her current information.She potentially has chances to be unusual type in heptathlon,even if injury with her,she tossed shot to 15.38m and already a 51m JVer,if she can recover well,could she be world-class in hep and throws?Let us see.
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby Gabriella » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:45 am

There was an article on the DLV facebook site this week on Gambetta, Rath and some other heptathletes doing warm weather training. It seems she is over the torn ligament that ruined her 2012 season. She was looking very powerful and muscular.

Gamebetta's problem is that she doesn't have as much natural speed as some of the other women, and it's the speed events that get you the most points. Her hurdles are just atrocious - her PB is just 14.66 :shock: which nets her just 887 points, whereas if she were 1 sec quicker at 13.66 she'd be getting 1027 points (and let's face it; 13.66 isn't even that fast) However, compare this to her JT, which is very strong - her PB here is 51.17 - but this equates to just 883 points. Until the points system is evened out and thrower-types are properly rewarded, she'll struggle to get the really big scores.

The hurdles is the event she needs to improve the most but her 800m is also extremely poor at 2:24.74. She's very similar to Skujyte in many respects, although better than the Lithuanian at the same age and is naturally faster over 200m.
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:28 pm

It is not the level of points that matter, it is only the gradient. Can you restructure the argument in those terms. This requires an assessment of how much of a performance differential gives what sort of point differential. This can be highlighted with some cases across athletes. [I realize that this is not an easy thing to do; I could do part of it (the quantitative number pushing, but would not have the full background to assess the arguments about the appropriateness of the gradient). This is also the right ground for those like decafan, etc (and our new poster whose handle is complicated enough for me that I have to copy it here -- nianchengyu).

I would tend to say it is a bit of a tough thing to lose so many points to an element such as basic speed versus basic strength. However, poor hurdles performance at this level is probably not that closely connected to raw speed. I doubt that Ennis is 2 seconds faster over 100m but she has honed her skills much better.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby nianchengyu » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:07 pm

Gabriella wrote:There was an article on the DLV facebook site this week on Gambetta, Rath and some other heptathletes doing warm weather training. It seems she is over the torn ligament that ruined her 2012 season. She was looking very powerful and muscular.

Gamebetta's problem is that she doesn't have as much natural speed as some of the other women, and it's the speed events that get you the most points. Her hurdles are just atrocious - her PB is just 14.66 :shock: which nets her just 887 points, whereas if she were 1 sec quicker at 13.66 she'd be getting 1027 points (and let's face it; 13.66 isn't even that fast) However, compare this to her JT, which is very strong - her PB here is 51.17 - but this equates to just 883 points. Until the points system is evened out and thrower-types are properly rewarded, she'll struggle to get the really big scores.

The hurdles is the event she needs to improve the most but her 800m is also extremely poor at 2:24.74. She's very similar to Skujyte in many respects, although better than the Lithuanian at the same age and is naturally faster over 200m.

More interesting things are that her 14.66s,1.82m HJ,24.31s 200m and 6.41m LJ pb comes form 2010[17year-old],in 2011 she had 14.85s,1.81m,24.65s and 6.23m LJ each but enhance her SP and JV much.
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby nianchengyu » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:21 pm

4.Katarina Johnson-Thompson had great speed,fabulous jumps but very weak throws,yes,she is still young,however,not many athletes can enhance their throws in their senior time like Ennis,so her problem seems to how to balance her different elements.If not,she is likely to move to jump events.
5.Yorgelis Rodríguez of Cuba will be 18-year-old next year,already 5994p this year,could she find more potentials for not many young talents are capable of being medal contenders?
6.Ivona Dadic is brillant to break AUT NR this year,she is one of the unusual generation heptathletes,her 200m already broke 24s but only 14.55s 100mH,comparing to 13.26s and 24.70s around pb.
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:39 am

1. Can Ennis build on her 2012 form and break 7000pts?

possibly, however part of her London points boost was on a veyr fats track. I'm not sure she will better her hurdles or 200m times. However Ennis have to remain at her best to fight-off a fully fit Chernova. 2011 showed one poor event and Chernova will win.

2. Will Chernnova get back to her best?

Luck, prep and training will answer that. However a "poor" Chernova still got a Bronze.

3. Is this the end for Dobrynska or can she return to the medals?

Let's hope she can. She still broke a world record this year and still has gas in the tank, it's the motivation after tragic circumstances. Still until she dropped out in London she wasn't exactly flopping out even if she was clearly not at her best. By all accounts she is a tough cookie who never exactly had it easy and is likley to be back.

4. Is Oeser over her injuries?

Lets hope so.


5. Can any other Russians step up? Bolshova and Savitskaya?

I'm personally predicting big things for Savitskaya, 21 and alreayd in the top 8 with a good score. She has little in the way of weaknesses besides the 200m IMO and looks likely to improve everything else. As for Bolshova, I'm not sure she is anywhere near the potential or class of Savitskaya or Chernova and the Olympics and Europeans showed a number of younger Heptathletes are already a fair bit stronger than her.

6. Will the top juniors continue with their great progression - Ikauniece, Schippers, KJT

I'd have placed Savitskaya in this group as she is more or less the same age. All 4 look to be genuinely excellent Heptathletes and all of them have different weaknesses to work upon (LI - Shit put and jumps, DS her stamina, Javelin, 800m and jumps, KJT her throws, KS her 200m). If anything Schippers looks the overall weakest one but who knows.

The Heptathlon certainly looks amazingly exciting in future, these girls have made large jumps in progress and looks like they are continuing


7. Will Schwarzkopf be at the same level?

I was actually gutted at her DP and hugely happy it was a mistake. Well deserved and I expect now she has sorted herslef out she wants to maintain into the worlds next year. She doesn't have huge number sof years left but seems to be the best in germany right now.

8. Can Nana Djimou and Yosypenko – just outside medals – continue this form?

Nana had a good yera winning the Europeans (I know it was a weaker field etc) but I think her and Yosypenko aren't going to get much better and have a huge number of youth all aged 19-21 who are only just below them and seem to be making big jumps already in performaces.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby mump boy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:09 am

I fail to se where jess is going to make up significant points to enable her to go over 7000 unless she equals PB in all events in 1 Hep

I don't see significant improvement in hurdles
I'll be happy if high jump stays the same as it's not the strength it once was
There are about 30 points to be gained in SP on her OG score but it would be very easy to lose this somewhere else
I can imagine running faster over 200m in an individual race but at the end of day 1 i'm not so sure
LJ 6.50 seems to be her limit, changing legs and not having very sound technique means i don't see much improvement here
JT i can imagine 50+ she had very steady improvement in this event
800 she can run faster but it's not worth many points

it's not that she can't do it, it's just that there is no room for error at all
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby Gabriella » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:10 am

26mi235 wrote:It is not the level of points that matter, it is only the gradient. Can you restructure the argument in those terms. This requires an assessment of how much of a performance differential gives what sort of point differential. This can be highlighted with some cases across athletes.

I would tend to say it is a bit of a tough thing to lose so many points to an element such as basic speed versus basic strength. However, poor hurdles performance at this level is probably not that closely connected to raw speed. I doubt that Ennis is 2 seconds faster over 100m but she has honed her skills much better.


The gradient does matter, absolutely. But also the scoring method is formula based but when they were contrived many years ago the bench marls in the events were different. The landscape has changed since then. The other, major point IMO, is the fact that the points and formula didnt change when they introduced the new javelin model. Currently athletes lose about 10% compared to the old model, yet the scores remained the same. This is not right! (The impact of this is that, had JJK had the new model, of her 5 scores over 7100 pts, there would only be 2 with the new javelinl, and her 7291 drops to 7203. Turn it round, and Kluft's best, 7031, jumps up to 7125 with the JJK model and she'd have two other scores over 7000pts)

Some argue that despite the 100h, LJ and 200m awarding more points than the JT and SP, its the spread of points and how much the top and bottom end get, such that the best hurdlers gain, say, 200 pts on the worst hurdlers whereas the best JTers gain 400 pts on the worst JTers. You could argue that specialist throwers therefore gain an unfair advantage. But this is a red herring, as the reality is you need to be good at all events and have all round athleticism. Specialist throwers will, on the whole, not have the speed over 200m or endurance over 800m to be competitive over 7 events.

Re raw speed vs 200m. It's not a fixed correlation, I agree, but fast heptathletes over 200m tend to run the fastest times over 100mh.
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby Gabriella » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:09 am

mump boy wrote:I fail to se where jess is going to make up significant points to enable her to go over 7000 unless she equals PB in all events in 1 Hep


She was only 45 points off in London and she did not hit every event. :? The point about her Olympic SP was that it wasn't about not being in good SP form; she'd already thrown further in 2012. It's just one of those events where if your timing is slightly off you're down. She could quite have easily got another 30 pts+ in that event and there's no reason why she can't throw further again. The key 'mess up' in London was her HJ (again) but it was a question of timing her take-off, not of ability. I guess all technial events come down to technique, but she had the height on 1.89. She doesn't need to jump 1.9+ again (and doesn't need even 1.89 to win) but she does need 1.89 for 7000 pts. She had 1.89 in her in London and again, she had jumped higher than 1.86 in 2012 so it's not like we are asking her to be at 1.92+ form again.

In terms of improving events going forwards, it has to be the LJ and JT. With her speed and spring ability, there is no reason she cannot jump over 6.6 regardless of leg switch. I can see a 40pt gain in this event. She just needs a little more focus, just like she did with the JT and training under Mick Hill. She has the ability to pick up technique going by her other event improvements and the LJ should come more naturally to a speed athlete than the throwing events. Then, in that JT, I can see her improving again. The JT isn't quite like the SP where you benefit a lot from being taller, and I don't see why Jess can't sneak up to 50m. Her improvement curve in this one event has been great since Osaka.

Of course you are right it's about putting it together on one day; it always is. But she can do it! The problem for me is the 100mh. I doubt she'll do 12.5 again in a heptathlon, but marks below take her tantalisingly close to 7000 and I dont have a problem with these:
12.80, 1.89, 14.50, 22.90, 6.50, 48m, 2:08 - 6986
Get that LJ up to 6.6 and she's on 7019.

I wonder, she's done great under Coach Tony, but I wonder how she'd fair under Van Commenee? I'm sure she'll never switch, but I'd love to see her change during the 2014 season and see what she could do under someone else. Charles took Lewis to great things and completely changed Sotherton's attitude to the event; could he take Jess over 7000?
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby Gabriella » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:53 am

Gabriella wrote:
Kristina Savitskaya
London (6452) 13.37/ 1.83/ 14.77/ 24.46/ 6.21/ 43.70/ 2:12.27 Cherboksary (6681) 13.52/ 1.88/ 15.25/ 24.61/ 6.65/ 46.83/ 2:14.73

-3 PBs in London
-LJ way down on her best
-JT 3m down on her best & significantly lower than the other top women
-Would have had to be at her very best to medal



A timely article on the European site, it seems Savitskaya was very happy with her London performance and is raringt to go for the European indoors:

http://www.european-athletics.org/32nd- ... eborg.html
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby mump boy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:41 am

Gabriella wrote:
mump boy wrote:I fail to se where jess is going to make up significant points to enable her to go over 7000 unless she equals PB in all events in 1 Hep


She was only 45 points off in London and she did not hit every event. :? The point about her Olympic SP was that it wasn't about not being in good SP form; she'd already thrown further in 2012. It's just one of those events where if your timing is slightly off you're down. She could quite have easily got another 30 pts+ in that event and there's no reason why she can't throw further again. The key 'mess up' in London was her HJ (again) but it was a question of timing her take-off, not of ability. I guess all technial events come down to technique, but she had the height on 1.89. She doesn't need to jump 1.9+ again (and doesn't need even 1.89 to win) but she does need 1.89 for 7000 pts. She had 1.89 in her in London and again, she had jumped higher than 1.86 in 2012 so it's not like we are asking her to be at 1.92+ form again.

In terms of improving events going forwards, it has to be the LJ and JT. With her speed and spring ability, there is no reason she cannot jump over 6.6 regardless of leg switch. I can see a 40pt gain in this event. She just needs a little more focus, just like she did with the JT and training under Mick Hill. She has the ability to pick up technique going by her other event improvements and the LJ should come more naturally to a speed athlete than the throwing events. Then, in that JT, I can see her improving again. The JT isn't quite like the SP where you benefit a lot from being taller, and I don't see why Jess can't sneak up to 50m. Her improvement curve in this one event has been great since Osaka.

Of course you are right it's about putting it together on one day; it always is. But she can do it! The problem for me is the 100mh. I doubt she'll do 12.5 again in a heptathlon, but marks below take her tantalisingly close to 7000 and I dont have a problem with these:
12.80, 1.89, 14.50, 22.90, 6.50, 48m, 2:08 - 6986
Get that LJ up to 6.6 and she's on 7019.

I wonder, she's done great under Coach Tony, but I wonder how she'd fair under Van Commenee? I'm sure she'll never switch, but I'd love to see her change during the 2014 season and see what she could do under someone else. Charles took Lewis to great things and completely changed Sotherton's attitude to the event; could he take Jess over 7000?


I agree with all of this but as you note it is doing it all in the same competish that poses the problem. I've just finished reading her autobiography (it takes about 2 hours) and the LJ is a much bigger problem than we think. It's not just about converting speed to distance, she has a MASSIVE problem with take off that has yet to be corrected and was interrupted by the leg change.
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby Gabriella » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:01 am

eldanielfire wrote:

2. Will Chernnova get back to her best?

Luck, prep and training will answer that. However a "poor" Chernova still got a Bronze.


Well, 'yes' and 'no'. Chernova wasnt exactly poor in 2012 or London (hence your quotation marks around "poor" I assume). She was actually in her best form apart from 2011. In 2011 she set that great PB of 6880 and then had a 6778 and 6679. In London she scored 6628, her 5th best mark ever, behind those 2011 marks and her Gotzis mark earlier this year (6774, her 2nd best ever)

Obviously something may have happened between Gotzis and London, or it could just be back to the :?: around her psychology again, but the 2012 Chernova was more akin to the pre 2011 Chernova, and her bronze in London was around the same score as her Beijing bronze (6591).

Let us see next year if Chernova will be the 2011 version or not. It seems she will have to if she wants to challenge Ennis and fight off the challenge from some of the up and coming athletes.
Gabriella
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 am

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby eldanielfire » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:00 am

Gabriella wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

2. Will Chernnova get back to her best?

Luck, prep and training will answer that. However a "poor" Chernova still got a Bronze.


Well, 'yes' and 'no'. Chernova wasnt exactly poor in 2012 or London (hence your quotation marks around "poor" I assume). She was actually in her best form apart from 2011. In 2011 she set that great PB of 6880 and then had a 6778 and 6679. In London she scored 6628, her 5th best mark ever, behind those 2011 marks and her Gotzis mark earlier this year (6774, her 2nd best ever)

Obviously something may have happened between Gotzis and London, or it could just be back to the :?: around her psychology again, but the 2012 Chernova was more akin to the pre 2011 Chernova, and her bronze in London was around the same score as her Beijing bronze (6591).

Let us see next year if Chernova will be the 2011 version or not. It seems she will have to if she wants to challenge Ennis and fight off the challenge from some of the up and coming athletes.



The bit that makes me doubt is Chernova will always have a good Heptathlon but doesn't seem to have the year on year consistency to be at the top. I'm not entirely sure her mentality is that strong either, she appeared to give up by the Javelin in London, while even if things go wrong for Ennis her response is to pull out a PB or great result (800m last year, 2nd longest jump in London after a poor one). That makes a difference, a big one, but I can't ignore her because her natural Heptathlon talent is huge really and she has all the tools. You feel on a random day she could glue together a seemingly easy 7000+ run.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby nianchengyu » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:06 am

Let us turn to decathlon,could Eaton enhance his LJ to 8.40m, run 13.20s in 110mH and reach a WR again?Could Karpov put his individual marks together for which he has got some improve since 2008 but fall apart in second day?
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby Marlow » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:26 am

AE's prospects of event improvements this year (all are possible . . . )

100 - v low
LJ - v low
SP - high
HJ - med low
400 - med

110H - med low
DT - high
PV - med high
JT - med high
1500 - v low

another WR is possible this and next year but all the planets would have to align.
Look for 2015 AND 2016 WRs.
9200+ in 2016.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby nianchengyu » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:31 am

Laura IKAUNIECE jumped 1.80m early this year,good start for her.
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:06 am

nianchengyu wrote:Laura IKAUNIECE jumped 1.80m early this year,good start for her.


2012? Or you mean in the past few days?
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby nianchengyu » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:07 pm

Maksimava BLR 4624p 8.59s/pb-1.90-14.45-5.83-2.14.57
Remona Fransen NED 4540p :8.58 1.80 13.44 6.23 2:15.63
Nadine Broersen NED;4436p 8.44/PB 1.83 13.02 5.81 2:16.68/PB
Nana Djimou FRA 8.30-1.75-15.41m/pb 59cm improvement
Skujyte:16.13m SP,1.87m HJ
Yekaterina Bolshova:13.72m SP,6.19m LJ
Anastasiya Mokhnyuk UKR/5830p PB:6.62m LJ/PB,13.57M SP /PB
Ivana Španović/oly LJ finalist;8.49 1.78 12.40 6.63 2:43.68 4240p/NR
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Let us discuss the change of 2013 multi-event

Postby nianchengyu » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:49 pm

Julia Mächtig 4397p 8.95 1.75 15.22 5.92 2:17.37
Hanna Melnychenko 4623p 8.30 1.80 13.30 6.39 2:17.01
Alina Fyodorova 4508p 8.77 1.80 14.82 6.26 2:22.36
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Let us discuss 2013 multi-event- Mikhan and Maksimava l

Postby nianchengyu » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:56 am

Yana Maksimava jumped 1.90m again in NC and ran 8.54s pb in 60mH,GOOD JOB :D
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Let us discuss 2013 multi-event- Mikhan and Maksimava l

Postby norunner » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:56 am

Two impressive hepathlon junior marks from the cuban NCs this weekend:
Yorgelis Rodríguez (born 95) 6186P
Yusleidys Mendieta (born 94) 6024P

How did Cuba develop a multi event program out of nothing? 10 years ago their NRs were below 8000 for dec and 6000 for hep. All of a sudden they had several world class decathletes and now some female talents too.
norunner
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Let us discuss 2013 multi-event- Mikhan and Maksimava l

Postby nianchengyu » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:30 pm

norunner wrote:Two impressive hepathlon junior marks from the cuban NCs this weekend:
Yorgelis Rodríguez (born 95) 6186P
Yusleidys Mendieta (born 94) 6024P

How did Cuba develop a multi event program out of nothing? 10 years ago their NRs were below 8000 for dec and 6000 for hep. All of a sudden they had several world class decathletes and now some female talents too.

Yorgelis Rodríguez 6186p 13.97/-1.6 1.82 13.17 24.58/0.0 6.00/1.1 48.70 2:18.05
Yusleidys Mendieta 6024p 14.61/-1.6 1.79 13.76 24.15/0.0 5.99/1.6 48.63 2:26.31
Niki Oudenaarden CAN/94 born,a great thrower who has 14.51m SP and 48.90m JV,achieving 5716p AJR 14.82/0.1 1.67 14.04 24.79/0.8 5.74/-0.8 45.35 2:22.63
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Let us discuss 2013 multi-event- Mikhan and Maksimava l

Postby gh » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:52 pm

norunner wrote:...

How did Cuba develop a multi event program out of nothing? 10 years ago their NRs were below 8000 for dec and 6000 for hep. All of a sudden they had several world class decathletes and now some female talents too.


It's probably premature to declare a "program" after so few years. The distribution of talent is rarely even across the board, and the smaller a nation is, the more a random happening looks out of place. By way of comprison, a dozen years ago one might have asked "how did the Czechs develop a decathlon program out of nothing?"

From 1947 to 1954, the Czechs had 3 World Rankers in the decathlon. From 1955 to 1989 they had none. And then.... 24 rankings by 3 guys!

1990 Dec 9 Robert Změlík (Czechoslovakia)
1991 Dec 5 Robert Změlík (Czechoslovakia)
1992 Dec 1 Robert Změlík (Czechoslovakia)
1995 Dec 5 Tomáš Dvořák (Czech Republic)
1996 Dec 3 Tomáš Dvořák (Czech Republic)
1996 Dec 8 Robert Změlík (Czech Republic)
1997 Dec 1 Tomáš Dvořák (Czech Republic)
1997 Dec 8 Roman Šebrle (Czech Republic)
1998 Dec 4 Tomáš Dvořák (Czech Republic)
1998 Dec 8 Roman Šebrle (Czech Republic)
1999 Dec 1 Tomáš Dvořák (Czech Republic)
1999 Dec 5 Roman Šebrle (Czech Republic)
2000 Dec 1 Tomáš Dvořák (Czech Republic)
2000 Dec 3 Roman Šebrle (Czech Republic)
2001 Dec 1 Tomáš Dvořák (Czech Republic)
2001 Dec 3 Roman Šebrle (Czech Republic)
2002 Dec 1 Roman Šebrle (Czech Republic)
2003 Dec 2 Roman Šebrle (Czech Republic)
2003 Dec 6 Tomáš Dvořák (Czech Republic)
2004 Dec 1 Roman Šebrle (Czech Republic)
2005 Dec 2 Roman Šebrle (Czech Republic)
2005 Dec 9 Tomáš Dvořák (Czech Republic)
2006 Dec 3 Roman Šebrle (Czech Republic)
2007 Dec 1 Roman Šebrle (Czech Republic)

And now we've gone 5 years without a one.

Just like I'm sure no Briton in the '80s, reveling in Coe/Ovett/Cram/Elliott/Moorcroft, if told that the nation wouldn't have a ranker from '95 through '12 would believe it. Nothing happened to the British "program" other than random chance.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Let us discuss 2013 multi-event-Mendieta and Rodrígues

Postby norunner » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:14 am

Jan Felix Knobel improved his javelin PB by more than three meters to 76.36m in South Africa last week.
norunner
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Let us discuss 2013 multi-event-Mendieta and Rodrígues

Postby norunner » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:20 am

The next junior over 6000p: Nafi Thiam BEL 6021 points on Mauritius. And she did it with a terrible 2:31.32 over 800m,.
http://www.lesoir.be/228693/article/act ... heptathlon
norunner
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Let us discuss 2013 multi-event-Mendieta and Rodrígues

Postby olorin » Fri May 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Johannes Hock (GER) is having a Wonderful first day at the Big 12 meet in Waco. He leads the competition with 4,222 points after breaking four of his PBs (10.78, 7.46, 15.40, 1.94, 49.80).
He is good thrower so he is likely to add ~4000 points to his score and become the third NCAA athlete to break 8000 this season.
olorin
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Let us discuss 2013 multi-event-Mendieta and Rodrígues

Postby nianchengyu » Fri May 03, 2013 8:39 pm

olorin wrote:Johannes Hock (GER) is having a Wonderful first day at the Big 12 meet in Waco. He leads the competition with 4,222 points after breaking four of his PBs (10.78, 7.46, 15.40, 1.94, 49.80).
He is good thrower so he is likely to add ~4000 points to his score and become the third NCAA athlete to break 8000 this season.

Yeah,he is a great thrower as far as his age/21y,15.57m SP,50.28m DT,62.34m JV,plusing his strong body.
His second day individual pbs sum up 4050p and his weakness including running events and HJ,which may restrict his future.
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Let's discuss 2013 multi-event-Krauchanka and Rodrígues

Postby nianchengyu » Fri May 03, 2013 8:43 pm

20-year-old Anouk Vetter of NED scored 5872p in Firenze including 14.12/0.0 - 1.75 - 13.86 - 24.95/-1.0 / 5.55/+0.6 - 53.10 - 2:30.69,comparing to 18-year-old Nafissatou Thiam/6021p 14.53/-3.3 - 1.90 - 14.01 - 24.89/1.8 / 6.00/0.9 - 46.48 - 2:31.32 ) 19-year-old Yusleidys Mendieta /6024p 14.61/-1.6 - 1.79 - 13.76 - 24.15/0.0 / 5.99/1.6 - 48.63 - 2:26.31
18-year-old Yorgelis Rodríguez /6186p 13.97/-1.6 - 1.82 - 13.17 - 24.58/0.0 / 6.00/1.1 - 48.70 - 2:18.05
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Let us discuss 2013 multi-event-Mendieta and Rodrígues

Postby olorin » Fri May 03, 2013 11:11 pm

nianchengyu wrote:Yeah,he is a great thrower as far as his age/21y,15.57m SP,50.28m DT,62.34m JV,plusing his strong body.
His second day individual pbs sum up 4050p and his weakness including running events and HJ,which may restrict his future.

Weakness in the running events and HJ is a characteristics that most top German decathletes share. Of the top ten German decathletes nine have a PB of 2.03 or lower and five below 2.00m. Similarly, eight have a PB of more than 10.8 and five below 7.50 in the LJ.
I guess when looking into decathlon potential American coaches look for sprinet/jumper athlete whereas the German look for the heavier built.
Last edited by olorin on Sat May 04, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
olorin
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Let us discuss 2013 multi-event-Mendieta and Rodrígues

Postby norunner » Fri May 03, 2013 11:27 pm

olorin wrote:
nianchengyu wrote:Yeah,he is a great thrower as far as his age/21y,15.57m SP,50.28m DT,62.34m JV,plusing his strong body.
His second day individual pbs sum up 4050p and his weakness including running events and HJ,which may restrict his future.

Weakness in the running event and HJ is a characteristics that most top German decathletes share. Of the top ten German nine have a PB of 2.03 or lower and five below 2.00m. Similarly, eight have a PB of more than 10.8 and five below 7.50 in the LJ.
I guess when looking into decathlon potential America coaches look for sprinet/jumper athlete whereas the German look for the heavier built.
It's the same as in sprints, our best 100m sprinters are 0,5-0,7s behind the best, and so are our best decathletes.
norunner
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Let us discuss 2013 multi-event-Mendieta and Rodrígues

Postby user4 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:05 am

olorin wrote:
nianchengyu wrote:Yeah,he is a great thrower as far as his age/21y,15.57m SP,50.28m DT,62.34m JV,plusing his strong body.
His second day individual pbs sum up 4050p and his weakness including running events and HJ,which may restrict his future.

Weakness in the running events and HJ is a characteristics that most top German decathletes share. Of the top ten German decathletes nine have a PB of 2.03 or lower and five below 2.00m. Similarly, eight have a PB of more than 10.8 and five below 7.50 in the LJ.
I guess when looking into decathlon potential American coaches look for sprinet/jumper athlete whereas the German look for the heavier built.


Very odd, especially in light of the fact that the one recent German OG Deca champ, Schenk had as his strongest event the High Jump where he held the Deca WR for it... now if that were not counter intuitive enough consider the fact that he did it with the straddle technique. More facts like this and one will have to conclude that the Germans are today as focused on T&F as inner Mongolia is on the Americas Cup.
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Let's discuss 2013 multi-event-Krauchanka and Rodrígues

Postby aaronk » Sat May 04, 2013 8:35 am

Don't know his event PR's, but Hock is continuing to score big points.
After 7 events, he's at 6040.
(14.86--1.0--867 pts......176-8 DT--951 pts)
Unless he bombs in the PV, looks like 8000+ is his.

But why is he just a freshman at age 21??
aaronk
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Let's discuss 2013 multi-event-Krauchanka and Rodrígues

Postby j-a-m » Sat May 04, 2013 9:07 am

aaronk wrote:But why is he just a freshman at age 21??

Went to high school in Germany, and then didn't plan to come to the U.S. and/or didn't get recruited by UT until later.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Let's discuss 2013 multi-event-Krauchanka and Rodrígues

Postby j-a-m » Sat May 04, 2013 9:10 am

aaronk wrote:Don't know his event PR's, but Hock is continuing to score big points.
After 7 events, he's at 6040.
(14.86--1.0--867 pts......176-8 DT--951 pts)
Unless he bombs in the PV, looks like 8000+ is his.

110h was no PB, but DT was by about 3m. Hock is also more than 600 points ahead of 2nd place after seven events.
j-a-m
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Let's discuss 2013 multi-event-Krauchanka and Rodrígues

Postby norunner » Sat May 04, 2013 9:13 am

j-a-m wrote:
aaronk wrote:But why is he just a freshman at age 21??

Went to high school in Germany, and then didn't plan to come to the U.S. and/or didn't get recruited by UT until later.
Close, in Germany you go to school for 13 years (12 in some states) before you can go to university. So he would have been almost 20 before leaving school.
If he continues like that he could go over 8300 points. And if he keeps destroying his PBs he's getting closer to 8400.
norunner
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AS, Bing [Bot] and 10 guests