The Olympic Trials and Possible Improvements

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: The Olympic Trials and Possible Improvements

Postby 18.99s » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:38 am

26mi235 wrote:Tell me how you seed the semis, please (I can think of some rules but each has some issues). As an exercise, go back to the last trials and see how your mechanism works in ALL events.

8 is probably too many ... I don't think there's any event with 8 medal contenders, and most events don't have 8 capable of making the OG final. Make it 4 instead -- say the medalists from the prior year's WC (if any), plus however many of the next fastest to bring the total to 4.

For lane seeding based on performance, those who use a bye should get what are deemed to be the worst lanes (1 and 8?). If they want a better lane, they can opt to run all the rounds.

Note that the protocol for the OGs would have a random draw for the semis. This implies that in the 200 and 400 that some of the top stars could end up in lane 1 and refer to gh's comments about this being the lane of death.

If random draws is to be the rule for semis (which is stupid), it should be random for everybody including whoever uses a bye.
18.99s

Re: The Olympic Trials and Possible Improvements

Postby DecFan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:34 am

18.99s wrote:
8 is probably too many ... I don't think there's any event with 8 medal contenders, and most events don't have 8 capable of making the OG final. Make it 4 instead -- say the medalists from the prior year's WC (if any), plus however many of the next fastest to bring the total to 4.

For lane seeding based on performance, those who use a bye should get what are deemed to be the worst lanes (1 and 8?). If they want a better lane, they can opt to run all the rounds.

With these adjustments, I like the idea. Four is plenty - and if lanes are really important to them, they have the option to run through the rounds. In that case, they would be no worse off than they are at present.
DecFan

Previous